- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

We continue our journey into the set up yet to play out.

Twenty-five years had passed since Erin's mysterious disappearance, and Shawn's life had unfolded in ways he could never have predicted back then. Despite the passage of time, the shadow of Erin's absence lingered over him, an unresolved chapter in his life. He followed every lead, every rumored sighting of Erin, but each one led to a dead end. The lack of closure gnawed at him, a constant reminder of the friend he lost and the warning he failed to heed.


To cope with the emotional turmoil, Shawn had developed a unique mechanism: he partitioned his mind, segregating and locking away the most harmful emotions – fear, anxiety, despair, and any remnants of his connection to that other, darker realm. This mental vault allowed him to function, to build a life that, to any onlooker, seemed remarkable.


Shawn's career trajectory was nothing short of impressive. He climbed the ranks of a Fortune 1000 company, reaching heights of success that any would aspire to. His personal life, too, was filled with experiences and relationships that others might only dream of. He dated models, chased danger without fear, and lived in luxury for a time. But these relationships were devoid of love and the moments yielded nothing but the passing of time; they were superficial things that other’s envied but he lost care for.


His intellectual pursuits were just as formidable but not one to be confined to academic achievements alone, he explored more adventurous paths. He worked as a bodyguard for people whose lives were constantly in danger, a role that tested his limits and satisfied his craving for adrenaline.


Combat became a passion for him. He earned multiple black belts in various martial arts, mastering discipline and physical prowess. His skills with firearms were equally impressive, leading him to become a firearms combat instructor. These pursuits provided a sense of control, a way to channel his inner turmoil into something concrete and tangible.


Yet, despite all these achievements and experiences, Shawn felt incomplete. There was always a part of him that remained hollow, a piece of his soul that seemed forever lost. The excitement and success of his life were overshadowed by the absence of true emotional connection, the unresolved mystery of Erin's disappearance, and a part of his soul that seemed to be missing since birth.


As he reflected on the past 25 years, Shawn couldn't help but wonder about the path not taken, the life he might have had if things had been different. The question that haunted him in his youth still lingered in his mind: “What if he had stood up to the darkness, what if he had saved her”.


In the present, Shawn found solace in a different kind of sanctuary – a state park with a mountain that offered him a panoramic view of the world below. This was his retreat, a place to recharge and find peace amid nature's grandeur. The hike to his favorite spot, a cliff overlooking vast stretches of land and sky, had become a ritual, a necessary pilgrimage to maintain his equilibrium in a life that often felt unanchored.


On this particular day his story takes a turn from a simple biography. Shawn's mind was tumultuous, caught in a whirlwind of introspection. He needed the clarity that only his special spot could provide. Unbeknownst to him, his meditation was so deep, so consuming, that time slipped by unnoticed. The sun set, and the moon rose, bathing the world in a surreal, silver glow. It was under this moonlight that Shawn's solitude was interrupted by a chillingly familiar sensation.


He stood abruptly, a sense of readiness pulsating through him. Gone were the days of fear and uncertainty; he was now a man who faced his demons head-on both figuratively and he was about to learn literally as well, equipped both mentally and physically for any confrontation. As he spun around, his eyes searched the moonlit forest, straining against the darkness for any sign of the presence he felt.


Then, from the shadows of the trees, a dark figure emerged, moving with an eerie, unnatural grace. The being was shrouded in darkness, its face obscured, yet its presence was unmistakable. Shawn felt a cold shiver run down his spine, not from fear, but from the recognition of an old, unwanted acquaintance.


The being spoke, but not in a way that required ears to hear. Its words resonated directly in his mind, a telepathic communication that was as clear as it was disturbing. "I have come to make amends," it said, its voice a mere whisper in the stillness of the night.


Shawn's heart pounded, not with fear, but with a cautious curiosity. The being continued, offering him a "gift" – a chance to have his heart's truest desires fulfilled. All he needed to do was willingly accept this offering.


In that moment, Shawn stood at a crossroads. The offer was tempting, almost too good to be true. Yet, his life had taught him the cost of such bargains. He knew that gifts from such beings often came with a price, a price he wasn't sure he was willing to pay.


The moonlight cast long shadows around them, and the air seemed to thicken with anticipation. Shawn's mind raced, weighing his options, understanding that this decision could change the course of his life forever. The being waited, its dark form almost blending into the night, a silent testament to the choices that lay before him.


What would he choose? To accept the gift and potentially fulfill his deepest desires? Or to reject the offer and continue his life as it was, incomplete but safe from the unknown dangers this being might represent? The answer lay within him, and in that moonlit silence, his decision would shape his destiny.

Shawn, standing under the moon's cold gaze, was no stranger to the tales of Jinn and Demons, their cunning riddles and deceptive bargains. His life, rich with diverse experiences, had exposed him to many such stories, both in history and fiction. As the being offered its enigmatic "gift", his mind raced, firing off question after question at the shadowy figure. But each time, the response was the same, echoing in his head: "Do you accept?"


This repetition was a classic sign of a trap, a ploy often used by such entities to ensnare the unwary. Shawn was prepared for a confrontation, ready to battle this being if necessary. Yet, there was a part of him, worn by years of feeling incomplete, that hesitated. For 43 years, he had lived a life that was always just a fraction short of whole, a part of him from his earliest moments never complete, not even possible in reality but now he’s being offered a gift by something not of this reality.


In a moment that would define the rest of his life, Shawn made his choice. He accepted the offer. The decision was a leap into the unknown, a gamble with stakes higher than he could possibly imagine.


As soon as the word of acceptance formed in his mind, the surreal nature of the encounter vanished. The being, which had stood before him in a shroud of darkness, disappeared. It was as if it had been there one moment and then never existed at all. Shawn blinked, but his eyes had never left the spot where the entity had been. The night was silent again, the only sound his own breathing and the rustling of the leaves in the gentle night breeze.


Confused, intrigued, and slightly apprehensive, Shawn began his descent down the mountain. The moonlight guided his steps, casting long shadows that seemed to dance around him. His mind was a whirlpool of thoughts. Had it really happened? Had he truly encountered a being of another realm and accepted its mysterious offer?


The hike down was long and contemplative. With each step, he replayed the encounter, analyzing every detail, every word. The uncertainty of what he had agreed to weighed heavily on him. Yet, there was also a flicker of hope, a tiny flame ignited by the possibility of fulfilling his deepest desire, of feeling whole for once.


As he reached the base of the mountain, the first light of dawn began to touch the horizon. A new day was dawning, and with it, a new chapter in his life. What this chapter would hold, what consequences his decision would bring, remained to be seen. But one thing was certain – Shawn's life was about to change in ways he could never have predicted.