- Text Size +
As the hours dwindled down to the final moment, Shawn’s mind was a tumultuous sea of fear and determination. He had pieced together a guess of what the gift might be, based on Erin’s cryptic words. If his guess was right, he knew he'd be in grave danger, vulnerable in a way he had never been and completely helpless on his own. Desperate for support, he reached out to everyone he had ever confided in about his deepest desire, but each call was met with silence, deepening his sense of isolation.


As midnight approached, panic set in. The realization that he would face this ordeal alone was suffocating. But just as the clock ticked closer to the fateful hour, the room was again bathed in the eerie light that heralded Erin's presence. She stepped out of the ethereal portal, and Shawn's emotions cascaded over him – joy at seeing her, and pain for not having saved her all those years ago. Overwhelmed, his knees buckled, and he collapsed to the ground.


Erin knelt before him, lifting his chin so his eyes met hers. Her touch was gentle, her gaze filled with a sorrowful understanding. "My love, do not be frightened," she whispered. In her words, there was both comfort and a hint of sadness. She explained that she had intervened on his behalf, using her own suffering as a currency to secure him aid against the gift's potential to ensure a painful end. She revealed that his failed attempts to reach out for help were her doing. She had imbued his friends with an unstoppable urge to come to him, drawing them closer even though they were unaware of their own motivations. Erin had also arranged for him to be resilient against death though pain would still be his burden to bear and it would not be without its cost. In exchange for this protection, Shawn would experience a recurring cycle of memory loss every 25 days, waking up in confusion and fear, oblivious to his past and present.


Erin’s pact provided him one day of lucidity for each year she had been absent from his life - a bittersweet recompense for the time lost. She promised to be with him as much as she could even if he can’t see her, despite her own constraints as a bound spirit. Her words were both a confession and an absolution - she acknowledged the pain her disappearance had caused him and sought to alleviate the guilt that had haunted him for years. As she spoke, Shawn felt a mix of emotions wash over him. Relief that he was not entirely alone in this, gratitude for Erin’s sacrifice, and a deep-seated sorrow for the pain she had endured. But underlying it all was a fear of the unknown - what form would the gift take, and what would be its true cost?


Erin's presence, both a comfort and a reminder of the complex web of fate they were entangled in, offered a glimmer of hope in the impending darkness. As she faded back into the ethereal realm, Shawn steeled himself for what was to come. He would not be alone, but the path ahead was fraught with uncertainties and potential agonies. The night deepened, and Shawn waited, surrounded by the silence of his room, the ticking of the clock a steady reminder of the inevitable. The gift was coming, and with it, a new chapter in his extraordinary life - a chapter that would test his strength, his resolve, and the very fabric of his reality.

In the final moments leading up to midnight, Shawn's sense of resignation grew. His attempts to prepare, to rally support, had been thwarted, leaving him to face his fate alone. The only sliver of hope lay in Erin's assurance that his friends, driven by an irresistible urge, would come to his aid. But as the clock's hands inched closer to twelve, that hope felt increasingly fragile.

Midnight struck with a solemn finality, its arrival marked by the chimes that seemed to resonate not just in the air, but deep within Shawn's soul. Each toll was like a harbinger of doom, counting down to an unknown yet seemingly inevitable end. The twelfth bell echoed, a sound that felt like a call to the Reaper himself. As the last chime faded, a wave of darkness enveloped Shawn. His vision blurred into nothingness, and a sensation of falling gripped him. The world around him disappeared, and he succumbed to unconsciousness, his body collapsing just moments before the first signs of the tumultuous events unfolding outside his home.


Unknown to Shawn, the world outside was descending into chaos. Erin watched though invisible to everyone, perched on the tip of his roof as car after car arrived almost simultaneously. The friends he had tried to contact, now unwittingly drawn to his location, were converging on his home. The night air was filled with the sound of hurried footsteps, car engines, and voices calling out in confusion and concern and looking at each other wondering who these other people were. They didn't know why they were there, only that something inexplicable had compelled them to come and as they drew closer they felt the thought of Shawn growing heavier on their heart.

Meanwhile, inside, Shawn lay motionless, lost in a void where time and space seemed irrelevant. The "gift" had been bestowed and the very nature of his life supernaturally altered, manifesting in a way that left him vulnerable and exposed. Erin's spectral intervention had set the stage for a confrontation between the forces she had marshaled and the malevolent force’s usually fatal outcome of Shawn's pact with the entity. Her efforts had ensured that he would not face this ordeal alone, but whether her aid would be enough to counteract the gift's potentially lethal effects was yet to be seen.

Outside the convergence of Shawn's friends outside grew more frantic as more arrived, their collective confusion giving way to a sense of urgency. They were drawn together by a force they couldn't understand, brought to the doorstep of a friend they hadn't seen in years, on a night that promised to change their lives forever. Inside, Shawn remained unconscious, his fate hanging in the balance. The outcome of this night would reveal the cost of his pact, and the extent of Erin's sacrificial aid. The stage was set for a revelation that would unravel the mysteries of the past and set the course for the future.

David's life had been relatively ordinary until the strange compulsion to drive eastward gripped him. He and Shawn had formed an unexpected bond over the past year, sparked by a shared interest that had blossomed into a deep friendship. Shawn had discovered David's writings and reached out, initiating a connection that quickly grew into regular, meaningful conversations. Despite David's constantly vocalized attraction to Shawn, their friendship was based on mutual respect and understanding. Shawn never made David feel uncomfortable about his feelings, valuing their bond over any differences in orientation.

Just 24 hours ago, David had begun to feel uneasy about Shawn's unusual silence. It was unlike him to go days without communication. This concern was soon overshadowed by an inexplicable urge to drive east, a feeling so strong that it bordered on an instinctual need. David found himself unable to resist, his rational mind baffled by his own actions. He followed this mysterious impulse, driving with no clear destination in mind. As he pulled up to an unfamiliar house, David realized he was not alone in his inexplicable journey. A small convoy of cars was arriving, their occupants emerging with expressions of confusion and uncertainty. They had all been drawn to this place, seemingly against their will, yet compelled by a force they could not understand.

David, however, felt a different emotion amidst the confusion – a deep concern for Shawn. He couldn't explain why, but he sensed that his friend was at the heart of this strange gathering. As he joined the others, their bewildered conversations confirmed that none of them knew why they were there but all had felt pulled to this place. They exchanged names and tried to find a common thread that might explain their presence. It wasn’t until after someone that actually knew the place spoke up that they all realized the  connection they shared in common and it was their link to Shawn.

The group consisted of individuals from various walks of life – some were close friends of Shawn, some were women he had previously been in a relationship with or had loved, and  others mere acquaintances with a passionately shared interest with him. Yet each had felt the same overpowering urge to come to this place at this specific time. As they stood outside the house, the night air was thick with anticipation and a growing sense of unease.

David, driven by his concern for Shawn, took the initiative to approach the house. The door was unlocked, an invitation or perhaps an oversight, but it felt like the only way forward. He turned the knob, half expecting to be confronted with an explanation for the night's bizarre events. As the door creaked open, the group hesitantly followed, stepping into the unknown. They found themselves in a seemingly ordinary home, but the atmosphere was anything but normal. There was a palpable tension, a feeling that something significant, something potentially dangerous, had just or  was about to unfold.

They called out for Shawn, their voices echoing through the empty rooms, but there was no response. The house felt deserted, yet charged with a strange energy. It was as if the very walls were holding their breath, waiting for a climax that was just moments away. The group moved through the house together, drawn by an unseen force, their collective anxiety growing with each step. They were unaware of the events that had transpired just hours before, of Shawn's encounter with Erin, and of the dark pact that was now reaching its culmination. As they reached the main hall, announced by David exclaiming “Oh No, he didn’t, he couldn’t have!?” they had finally found Shawn, lying motionless on the floor, in a state that left them in shock. The scene was startling, yet somehow expected, as if this was the inevitable conclusion to their mysterious journey.

David and others rushed to him, their concern turning to fear at Shawn’s motionless state. The others gathered around, their expressions a mix of shock and worry. They were all worried now, scared, bound together by fate and the unseen threads of Shawn's destiny. The night was far from over, and the answers they sought were just beginning to unravel. The story that was unfolding would challenge their understanding of reality and test the strength of the bonds that they shared with Shawn and that had brought them all together.