- Text Size +
“Pl-please don’t do this!” He begged.  

She stood proudly with her hands on her hips as the man just over half her age looked up and begged her for mercy. She remembered how cocky he was only a month prior. He wasn’t the first person she broke, nor would he be the last.

“Oh sweety. Now’s not the time to beg. You had your chance to impress me, and you failed. At least you can be useful in a different capacity after this.”

“Miss Julia! Pl-!” The man attempted one last plea but was cut off as the warmth hit him.

The woman raised her right hand and waved her fingers sarcastically as the man dwindled into a miniature state...

His screams grew high-pitched as he felt himself shrink. The world around him grew larger as it spun.

“You Millennials are just so lazy...” She spoke aloud as she stepped toward the cloud of steam that stood in place of the man. Her thick black mules thumped against the carpeted floor. “...BUT...” she squatted down and reached down with her right hand. Gathered faces watched as she lifted a doll-like human from the ground. “...I’ll still put you to work.”

The man screamed as the giant thumb and forefinger gripped the sides of his head. His naked body hung in the cool air of the office. His legs and arms flailed uselessly.  

She smiled as the tiny man struggled between her fingers. If she wanted to, she could kill him with a snap. He may prefer that after she put him through what she had in store. Julia rose back to her full height and turned on her heel. The faces watched as she strode away. Shrink pistol in one hand. Her latest victim in the other...

“I can’t believe you people keep making me do this.” Julia chastised the man as she walked down the hall. “I’ll be 50 next year and yet I still have to stick around to keep this place running.” She eventually arrived at her destination. A large oak door awaited. A placard next to the door read ‘Julia Engles, Chief Human Resources Officer.’ Julia stepped into her office and closed the door behind her.

“I mean. This is timely. I have needed a new insole since the last one gave out.” Julia continued to speak to the small man as she walked toward her desk. Various bottles of liquor lined one of the walls. “And ever since your rude joke at my expense last month, I’ve been waiting for this day.” She added as she plopped herself into her large leather chair behind her desk.

She dangled the man in front of her face. Her eyes bore into him. “I hope you think about that as I’m walking all over you every day from here on out. The ‘wicked witch of HR’ always wins.” Julia removed her right foot from the black leather mule and wriggled her purple-painted toes in the cool office air.  She holstered her shrink pistol and then reached down with her left hand and picked up her mule from the ground and placed it on her desk.

“I’m gonna set you down here real fast. Don’t think about trying to run.” She spoke and placed the man next to the mule.

The man’s body fell with a soft thud as Julia released her grip on his head. Sore, he regained his composure and stood up next to the giant shoe. He could smell a mix of leather and sweat emanating from within it the closed toe-box.  

“Let’s see. Where did I put that?” Julia talked aloud to herself as her brunette hair, cut in an inverted bob style, bounced around. “Ah there we go.”

The small man watched as Julia lifted a ruler into the air. It had once been painted yellow but was well worn down. No doubt used heavily by Julia.  

“Stand up straight. I have to get you measured for Dept. Of Labor statistics.” Julia ordered the tiny man who quickly complied.

The man felt himself shaking as Julia placed the ruler against his back. Her, comparatively, giant fingers pushed against his chest as she lined him up against the ruler.

“6inches.” She noted. “My size 11’s are over 4 inches longer than you, little guy.” she teased.

He watched as she opened a webpage on her computer and typed away. Within minutes, his fate would be sealed. His next of kin would get a “reduction” settlement and he would be company property - “restitution” in the eyes of the government.

He blushed as she lifted her phone and snapped some pictures of him.

“Alrighty. Looks like where all done. I’ll get these uploaded this form and you, Nick Hunter Paulson, are all mine.”  

Nick watched as Julia pressed “submit” and bright green words appeared “SUBMISSION SUCCESSFUL. PLEASE EXPECT PAPERWORK FROM THE DEPT. OF LABOR IN....” His stomach sank. This was it. He was nothing more than company property for Julia to do as she saw fit now. This sadistic woman who terrorized hundreds now held his life in her hand.

As he looked up at her, he could tell she kept active and in her younger days was probably stunning. Besides some unavoidable wrinkles and looser skin, she did not look bad at 49. He wondered how rough she would be – the two had been at ends ever since his first day when he made a joke he had long since forgotten during orientation.  

Julia smiled and threw her hands up and behind her head.  

“Has it hit you yet, squirt?” she continued her humiliation. “From this point forward your days of slacking and goofing off are over. You won’t even get to breathe unless I say so.”  

Nick stood silently. He was scared to say anything less it worsen his life.

“Welp.” Julia removed her arms from behind her head and leaned forward. “Let’s say we get moving. It’s almost lunch time.”  

Nick watched as Julia rummaged through he desk drawers once more and then held a small tube into the air in her left hand. She removed the lid form the tub and then swiftly reached for Nick with her right hand.

“Quit squirming. If this gets on my fingers I’m going to make you lick it off.” Julia threathed.

Nick remained as still as possible as he felt a cool liquid traced on his backs, arms, and legs.

Julia placed the tube back into the drawer.  

Nick’s world was then turned around and upside down as he was maneuvered by Julia until he felt the humid warmth make contact with his back. He shuddered.

“Let’s move you up just a little bit...and...there we go!” Julia smiled happily as she looked down at Nick secured to the insole of her mule. His arms were stuck to his side and is hegs were stuck together. He was perfectly straight.  

“Let’s give that adhesive a minute to dry and then we’ll head out. I don’t want to lose you on your first day!” Julia spoke with happiness Nick rarely saw from her. He watched from his periphery as Julia picked up her phone and tapped away. After what was definitely longer than ‘a minute’, Julia’s face came into view above Nick. He inspected her hazel eyes and natural lips.  

“Alright. I think we’re good to go!” She spoke chipperly. Her hand grabbed the mule and Nick soon found his perspective changed as the shoe was placed onto the ground. Julia appeared much more gigantic at this angle.

“Alrighty! See you in a few, little guy!” Julia gave her familiar wave and shifted her right leg.

Nick trembled as Julia’s sole came into view. He couldn’t help but notice the skin appeared ‘papery’, its deep wrinkles alluded to the life which Julia had lived thus far. He watched as the toes splayed as Julia stretched her leg out.

Julia toyed with the little being for a few more seconds before giving in to gravity and letting her sole fall into place within her shoe.

The fresh air was pushed from Nick’s lungs as Julia’s heavy and already perspiring sole covered him.  

“Time for tacos!” Julia yelled as she stood up.  

Nick was in agony. Julia was not kidding when she said she would control when Nick breathed. He was forced to time his breaths with Julia’s footfalls. The older woman did not worry about his well-being as each footfall was like getting hit by a truck. His body was molded into the warm flesh as he fought for breath.

“Like walking into a wet blanket.” Julia spoke aloud as she stepped out the front doors of the office building. “But worth it for Taco Tuesday.”

“Hey wait up!” A voice from behind Julia caught her attention. A blond came jogging to catch-up.

“Oh! Hey Manda.” Julia smiled as she greeted Amanda Tracey, one of Nick’s coworkers.

“Hey! Sorry! I thought it was you.” Manda spoke to Julia.  

Julia smiled down at the woman who stood a couple inches shorter than her own 5ft 8in.

“No worries! The more the merrier.” Julia smiled as she continued toward the taco truck.

“So, uh. I heard that you finally dropped the hammer on Nick?” Manda asked.  

Julia smirked, she knew she’d be fielding questions for at least the next week, “Yep. Had to D-65 him.” The two women took their spots in line for the truck.

“And. Uh? Is he here now?” Manda asked with curiosity.

Julia always liked Manda. She had an air of curiosity mixed with dedication about her.  

“Oh yeah. Thought I’d take out for some of this nice South Alabama spring air.” Julia replied. “Wanna say hi? Or goodbye? Whatever.” Julia asked and then laughed.

“Huh?” Manda asked and then her eyes grew wide. “Oh! Um. Sure?” she scrunched up her face in uncertainty.

Nick struggled to breath as his face pressed into the flesh of Julia’s sole. The heat from her body along with the air itself was suffocating. He was sure he’d die. But then...blindness.

Manda watched as Julia pulled her right foot from the mule. Her purple-painted toes glinted under the sun. Almost perfectly centered on the insole was a small white figure.

“Hey, little fella. Somebody wanted to say farewell.” Julie’s voice came from above as Nick’s eyes readjusted to the light.

Nick groaned and then gasped as he saw Manda towering over him. He had a crush on her since she started 8 months prior – he had been working up the courage to ask her out. Her seeing him like this was the ultimate nightmare.

Manda blushed as she saw the tiny man in full nudity. His body affixed to the insole of the head of HR’s shoe.  

“Oh. Um. I just...um. I wanted to wish you well.” Manda was at loss for words. This wasn’t like a traditional firing or somebody quitting. She didn’t quite know what to say.

Julia had been somewhat aware of Nick’s crush on Manda and seeing him so powerless and helpless as she looked upon him with pity was one of the best gifts his shrinking had brought thus far.  

As the scene played out a “Next!” came from the truck.

“Oh! That’s us!” Julia exclaimed and then quickly put her foot back into the mule.  

Within a millisecond, Nick’s view of Manda was replaced back with the wrinkled flesh under Julia’s foot...

20 minutes later, Julia returned to her office, tacos in hand. She took a seat behind her desk and pulled out three al pastor tacos. She slipped her feet from her mules.

“Damn. It’s humid out there. I hope neither of you drowned.” She teased Nick and her other human insole, a small brunette woman.

Covered in Julia’s foot sweat, he was forced to watch the giant woman eat her lunch. He waited for even a small onion to fall toward him, but Julia was quick to devour every taco without a crumb falling.  

“Those are always so delicious, but they always make my fingers greasy. Here. Help me out.” Julia began to bend down toward Nick.

The giant greasy fingers pressed into his face as he was ordered to lick. His eyes burned as spices mixed with the sweat that already covered.

“Thanks for that.” Julia spoke and then sat back up.

For the rest of the day, Nick lay affixed to Julia’s insole as she worked. Only occasionally being worn to go to the bathroom or run into another office.  

Around 4:30, Julie reached up and stretched. “Alright. I think that’s enough for the day. Y’all ready to go home?” she asked down to Nick and his cohort. Without waiting for a reply, her soles soon covered them both.  

That night, Nick remained affixed to the mule and kicked into Julia’s shoe closet. He was woozy from hunger, thirst, and heat. He did not remember passing-out...

The next day, Nick was awoken by Julia’s thunderous foot-steps. He knew she was divorced, and her daughter was in college in California, so he wasn’t surprised she owned a large house by herself.  

Without so much as a ‘good morning’ Julia’s foot once more pressed onto him as Wednesday began.

As Julia walked into the office, she made her morning rounds through the different departments.  

“...yeah he’s like her slave now...” hushed voices caught her ear as she passed through Marketing where Nick had worked.

“Who’s a slave?” Julia turned the corner to surprise Manda and two other girls who were gathered in Nick’s old cubicle clearing out his stuff.

“Oh!” One of the girls jumped at Julia surprise appearance. “Oh nobody! Nothing!” She attempted to return to rummaging through the items left behind by their former coworker.

Julia chuckled, “You know. I never really thought about it that way but yeah, maybe he will be my little slave. Forced to do whatever I tell him. Hell, once I get him trained on painting nails, maybe I’ll lend him to you girls for the day.”  

“I’d like that.” Manda grinned slyly.

Julia kicked off her mules and sat down behind her desk.

“Welcome to day 2 of the rest of your life.” Julia spoke down to Nick who groaned. His entire body and soul ached. “And I know you’re hungry, so I brought breakfast, but you’ll have to something for it...”

Nick wanted to cry. He couldn’t believe Julia was already taking to humiliating him on such a grand scale. It was just before lunch time, and she had practiced all morning to get him to follow her orders. He now stood before her gigantic feet he could see the veins against the tops as the toes wiggled.

“Now under the toes!” Julia spoke like she was trainign a dog but instead Nick rolled on the ground to be under her toes on her right foot which drummed him and then kicked him away.

“Okay! Lick!” She ordered again.

“EWWW!” gathered voices sang in unison as the small man stuck his head between her big and second toe and licked.

“And now. Kiss!” Julia commanded.

Exhausted, Nick walked and placed a kiss on the right big toe. His tongue was drenched in Julia’s sweat and skin.

“I guess you girls we right. After only one day and he’s my slave.” Julia curled her toes with her words.  

Nick wanted to die as Manda and his former coworkers sat in Julia’s office and watched the display.

“Hey, Manda. Didn’t you have a small crush on him?” One of the girls asked.

“Oh god. Please don’t remind me.” Manda buried her face into her hands which earned laughter.

Julia smirked. Anything that Nick valued was gone. The younger man had no choice but to submit to her from here on out...

The rest of the week consisted of Julia showing Nick off to the rest of the company. Though she had shrunken and tortured dozens of others before him, she was quite proud of how easily she had broken him.

“I guess all you needed was a strong authority to set you in the right direction. Huh?” Julia asked as the shrunken younger man carefully painted her left big toe with candy-apple red polish.  

Nick remained focused for fear of being punished by Julia in one of her unique ways...

Julia eventually took to naming Nick her ‘good luck charm’ as the company began to see massive growth and she was granted a substantial raise. She seemed to even soften as the little man grew to be more receptive to her whims...

As she sat on her patio overlooking the Mobile bay, Julia sipped on a late afternoon vodka and cranberry. She sat with her legs propped on a wicker foot stool. Nick stood chewing a callus from her left heel. A collar around his neck was linked by a chain to a toe ring on her right second toe.  

“You know, shrimp, I think this was meant to be.” Julie spoke as she watched the sunset and sipped her drink. “It was obvious you weren’t going to do much with your life and you’ve become so obedient. You get to spend your days ensuring that I’m happy while I near retirement.”
 
Tears rand down Nick’s face as he pressed his teeth into a thick pad of skin and chewed.  

------------------------------------------

Four months later:
Julia laughed and sipped from her water bottle. She sat in the shade under a magnolia tree. Her shoes sat to the side with socks stuffed within.

“Wow. An entire marathon before my 50th.” She sighed.  

“I like to think it was your good luck charm.” Manda’s voice came from her left.

“Oh yeah. Things really have been better since he was D-65'd.” Julia nodded and snapped her fingers. “Between the toes, please. I don’t want to get athlete's foot.”  

Nick diligently complied with the older woman’s orders.

“So, how’s John?” She asked Manda referring to the man who had replaced Nick in Marketing and who started dating the girl.

“Oh. He’s just wonderful. So thoughtful, smart, and mature.” Manda smiled.

“Mature really is the way to go. Isn’t that right, Nick?” Julia smiled at the small man who was forced to lick her sweat