- Text Size +

Nina resided on what was known as a Speck World. The realm she lived in was filled with millions of Speck Worlds, entire planets that, to the "normal" sized inhabitants of the realm, were all very tiny. Speck Worlds ranged in size, but the biggest of them were about the size of a grape, while the smallest were nearly microscopic. Speck Worlds were often collected by the inhabitants of the realm, usually seen as nothing more than a cute little novelty. They weren't given much thought otherwise, the people living on the Speck Worlds were far too tiny.



The Speck World that Nina called home was somewhere in the middle, roughly the size of a sesame seed. Nina was in her early 20's and was not a fan of how the people in the realm treated Speck Worlds and the people living on them. They weren't even considered people, they were treated about the same as bacteria despite the fact they were just as intelligant and technologically advanced as the "normal" sized humans. Nina's mindset, however, was not common among the Speck World people. Most were complacent with their existence. While most of the Bigs (As they were commonly referred to) ignored the Speck Worlds, they were rarely cruel towards them, so the sentiment towards them was mostly neutral. Not many people resented the Bigs. Nina didn't necessarily resent them, but she did wish they treated her kind with most respect.



Nina was very passionate about her thoughts towards Bigs, which tended to drive people away. "If the Bigs don't think about us, why should we think about them?" was what they often said to her. Because of this, Nina had a hard time making friends, and especially finding a romantic partner. Nina wanted this to change, she wanted to find someone she could connect with and agreed with her opinions on the Bigs. She decided to look into online dating. Nina found a profile for another woman, roughly her age, named Maddie. Nina thought she was drop dead gorgeous. Maddie had short brown hair that just barely reached her shoulders, with long eyelashes that emphasized her beautiful hazel eyes. Perfectly white teeth beamed through her equally perfect smile. She was stunning. Nina immediately messaged her, hoping with all her tiny heart that Maddie would respond.



Unbeknownst to Nina however, was that she had accidentally stumbled upon a dating website for Bigs. Nina was completely unaware that Maddie was in fact a Big, nor did Maddie realise the woman messaging her was a Speck World inhabitant. Maddie thought Nina was cute looking when she saw her profile, Nina had wavy blonde hair and wore thick glasses that made her bright blue eyes look huge. Nina was quite tall, relatively speaking of course, which heavily intrigued Maddie. The two of them began to talk, and they quickly hit it off.



Eventually, Nina asked Maddie about her thoughts on Bigs. Maddie was understandably confused. "Bigs? What do you mean?" she asked. "Bigs, you know, the 'normal' sized people? I hate how they just ignore Speck Worlds" replied Nina. Maddie was still puzzled, she didn't really understand what Nina meant. "Yea, I mean, I guess they don't really care about them. Not sure why, I think they're pretty interesting" said Maddie. Nina thought that Maddie was referring to the Bigs as 'pretty interesting' which was surprising to her. "What do you find interesting about them?" asked Nina. "Oh, I just find the difference in size to be fascinating. I agree that, uh, 'Bigs' should show more interest in Speck Worlds" explained Maddie. Nina was thrilled that she had seemingly finally found someone that shared her thoughts. Maddie had just assumed Nina was making some sort of weird joke that she didn't fully understand, but didn't really question it either.



Nina and Maddie continued speaking regularly for about a month, somehow never finding out the truth about each other's true sizes. The two of them were planning to meet in person and go on a date. "So, here's the location of my Speck World, I can't wait to see you!" said Nina. "Your Speck World?" asked Maddie. "Yea! I'll see you soon, bye!" replied Nina as she logged off to get ready for their date. Maddie wasn't exactly sure what Nina meant. "Maybe she means this is where her collection of Speck Worlds is? I guess that's an interesting date idea" she thought to herself. Maddie got ready as well, putting on a cute red dress, pantyhose and black flats. She made her way towards the address Nina had given her.



When she got there, she was surprised to find a small building containing nothing more than a white table and a few white chairs. There was a sign hanging above the table reading "Speck World Containment Area" with an arrow pointing downward. These containment areas were common, just a safe place for Speck Worlds to be held without the risk of being accidentally destroyed by a human, but humans rarely had a need to visit them. It seemed unusual for a private collection to be held here. "Nina? You here?" asked Maddie as she looked around the room, but there was nobody else there. Maddie directed her attention towards the table. There was a small glass barrier around the perimeter of the table, but otherwise no other protection. There were about 20 Speck Worlds spread across the table, each floating just above it.



Travel between Speck Planets was done via teleportation, and Nina was sitting patiently at the Teleportation Zone on her planet, waiting for Maddie to arrive. Nina's Speck Planet was in a Speck World Containment Area, or SWCA, so it was assigned a number. Her planet was number #89421, and she had given Maddie the planet number when she gave her the address to her SWCA, so she knew exactly which Speck World to teleport to. Just then, Nina noticed a dark shadow cast across the whole planet. Did a Big arrive at her SWCA? That was unusual, Bigs only arrived once every couple months for general maintenance, and it wasn't time for that. Nina looked up at the sky to get a view of the Big, and her jaw nearly hit the floor. There, looming high above the planet like a goddess was Maddie. Nina didn't know what to do. Was she dreaming? This couldn't possibly be real. She frantically grabbed her phone to message Maddie.



Maddie looked over the table, noticing the labels placed near each Speck World. She found the one labelled #89421, the one Nina mentioned when giving her the address. "Why did she mention this one specifically?" Maddie thought to herself, leaning in to get a closer look. Nina was looking back up at her in a mix of shock and horror. She sent a message to Maddie. "Um, I see you. Are you... big?" read the message. Maddie's phone buzzed and she reached down to grab it, and saw the message Nina sent. "What do you mean? Where are you?" replied Maddie. "I'm on my Speck World, like I said... is this some kind of joke?" said Nina. "Hold on, you're just messing with me right? Ugh, of course, this whole thing was a catfish" huffed Maddie as she angrily turned off her phone and shoved it back into her pocket. "As if she's from a Speck World" Maddie muttered to herself as she sat in one of the chairs and sighed. "No, no, Maddie! Wait!" Nina tried to message her, but Maddie ignored her.