- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter sets up the family and show dynamics. I plan on the next chapter coming out this weekend. Let me know what you think. 





The Benson household buzzed with the energy of a live TV set. Camera crews, sound technicians, and producers were all in motion, setting the stage for a day of filming. In the center of it all, Tyler, who had shrunk to an even 5 feet tall, stood alongside his mother and sister.


Sarah, the head producer, was orchestrating the scene with an enthusiastic hand. “Tyler, can you stand between your mother and Emma? We want to capture the family dynamic here.”


Tyler, trying to act like he wasn’t a circus freak, moved between his mother and sister. “It's not really a big deal being this height,” he started, his voice steady. “I mean, I’m the same height as my mom now. It's just a bit weird to see eye to eye with her and Emma.”


Before he could continue, Emma interjected. “Actually, I’m taller now,” she said, standing straight to emphasize her height advantage.


Tyler shot her an angry look. He was not happy about losing his height advantage, and Emma was using every opportunity she could find to remind him.


Sarah, seeing an opportunity, chimed in. “That’s an interesting dynamic. Let’s explore that a bit. How does it feel, Tyler, to be looking up to your younger sister now?”

Tyler shrugged, trying to downplay his discomfort. “It’s just a few inches. Doesn’t really change much.”

Linda, sensing Tyler’s unease, added, “We’re all the same family, regardless of height. It’s what’s inside that counts.” She wrapped her arm around his shoulders and gave him a comforting squeeze. Seeing him at a size that he hadn't been since he was much younger made her feel more protective of him, like he was going back to being her baby again. 

Sarah nodded but pressed on, her tone enthusiastic. “Absolutely, Linda. But for our viewers, these physical changes are quite fascinating. Could we have a side-by-side comparison? It’d be great for the audience to really see the difference.”

Reluctantly, Tyler stood next to Emma, who was clearly enjoying her moment. The camera focused on them, capturing the slight difference in height.

“And, Linda, could you join in too? We want to show the family together,” Sarah directed.

Linda moved in, standing on Tyler’s other side. The camera panned to capture the trio, highlighting the similarity in height between Tyler and his mother, and Emma’s newfound taller stature.

Sarah, always thinking about the show’s appeal, added, “Here, stand like this, back straight…good, chest out, and smile. Perfect.”

.

Tyler was becoming increasingly uncomfortable. He tried to keep a composed look, but he could tell Sarah was trying to emphasize his mothers and sister's large ‘assets’ by positioning them pushed out towards him, putting them in the center frame. He didn't like the idea that their appearance was already being used to draw in viewers. 


“Awesome, this will be a great shot for the ads. And we can recreate it as Tyler gets smaller to show the comparisons.” Sarah said. 


As the cameras continued to roll, Sarah shifted the focus to a more sensitive topic. “So, let’s talk about the future. Tyler, as you continue to shrink, what are the plans for your care?”


Tyler stiffened at the question, his discomfort palpable. He had been avoiding thinking too much about the future, focusing instead on the day-to-day changes.


Before he could respond, Emma jumped in with a grin. “I guess I’ll have to start carrying him around in my pocket soon. And he can live in my old dollhouse. I’ve always wanted a living doll.”


Tyler’s face flushed with anger. “Emma, this isn’t a joke. It’s my life we’re talking about here.”

Linda, attempting to mediate, added, “We haven’t worked out all the details yet, but we’ll make sure Tyler has everything he needs.”


Emma, undeterred, continued, “It’ll be fun! I can dress him up and take him everywhere with me.”


Tyler turned to his mother, his voice tinged with desperation. “Mom, please, tell her to stop. I don’t want to be treated like a toy.”


Linda sighed, her expression torn. “Tyler, Emma is just trying to lighten the mood. But she has a point – when you get smaller, we will need her help, especially when I’m at work.”


Her attempt at consolation did little to ease Tyler’s growing frustration. “But I don’t want to be anywhere near her. She's going to treat me like a toy!”


Seeing an opportunity to add drama to the scene, Sarah prompted, “Linda, how do you envision making Tyler comfortable in his smaller state?”


Linda, caught off guard, replied hesitantly, “Well, we can certainly make the dollhouse comfortable for him. It could be a cozy space. He can use a phone as a TV. It'll be nice.”


Tyler’s patience snapped. “A dollhouse? Really, Mom? That’s your solution?” He shook his head in disbelief and stormed off, the sound of his footsteps echoing through the silent room.


The camera crew exchanged glances, unsure whether to follow. Sarah signaled them to stay put, capturing the family’s reactions.

Linda followed after Tyler, calling for him to come back, her voice laced with concern. Emma, meanwhile, looked back at the camera with a grin.

“It won't be much longer until Ill have to hold him in my hand for these interviews. Oh! Can we do viewer polls for how I punish him when he acts like this?” Emma asked with a mischievous smile.

“I'm sure we can work something out.” Sarah said, already envisioning the ratings. “How about you give the viewers a tour of the place?”



_____

“Tyler? You ok?” Linda said as she poked her head into her son's room.

“Just leave me alone.” Tyler said as he laid curled up in his bed. 


Linda sat down on the bed next to him and began rubbing his back to try and comfort him. “I know this is hard on you, but it'll all work out. Just give it some time to settle and I know you'll start to see the bright side of this.” 


“Bright side? What bright side could there be to being the size of a bug?” Tyler snapped.

“Well, you won't have to work for a living, you can pretty much spend all day playing games and watching TV. And being snuggled by your mommy.” She said with a giggle as she gave him a tight hug. “Plus, well be able to meet other people your size through the show, so you'll have friends to play with.” 


Tyler had to admit she did make it sound better.

“And you know how much you love sneaking the cookie dough whenever I bake them? Soon you'll be able to swim in a bowl full of all you can eat cookie dough!” Linda said with a laugh.


“I get the whole bowl.” Tyler said, starting to feel better. He would never admit it, but being babied by his mother always made him feel better.

“You get the whole bowl.” Linda said. She planted a kiss on his head and left him alone for the rest of the evening. 


She went to talk to Sarah and the crew before they left, and they went over the details again. The cameras would capture their daily lives, which would be spliced together for TV, and once a week they would come by to film some ‘real’ scenes and do interviews.

As she was walking out the door, she turned back to remind them that there were no cameras in their bedrooms or bathrooms for privacy, and to not walk around the house naked unless they wanted to make the show X rated. 

Chapter End Notes:




Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment to let me know what you think.