- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter sets up the story, the rest of the story will be more dialogue focused and detailed. 


__________________________________

In the bustling suburb of Everwood, where life was as ordinary as it could be, the extraordinary had just begun for 20-year-old Tyler Benson. He had been living the dream life in college, surrounded by his friends, with all the freedom in the world. But it didn't last long. 


It began subtly. His clothes seemed looser, his room larger, and the world around him inexplicably growing. Concerned, Tyler visited numerous doctors until one eerie diagnosis changed everything: a rare condition causing him to shrink. Only about 30 people in the United States had it. With each passing day, he was losing inches, steadily diminishing to what the doctors predicted would be no more than half an inch in height.


The news was overwhelming, he was unsure of what to do with his life. He knew the vision he had for his future was no longer possible. And he would soon be unable to take care of himself. With a heavy heart, Tyler moved back in with his mother, Linda, and his bratty younger sister, Emma. 


Linda, a single mother, worked at the local library. She was very beautiful, and Tyler had endured relentless teasing back in high school once a few classmates had found her Instagram. She had a decent following of people that enjoyed her routine selfies and updates on her life. Tyler had once gotten into a heated argument with his mother after she posted a picture of the family when they went to the beach. She had worn a bikini that was a size too small for her enormous breasts, which his classmates enjoyed pointing out to him.


 Emma, 17, had been a constant rival to Tyler in the house. The two often bickered and pulled pranks on each other. Tyler had often used his superior physical size to push her around, and pull off his favorite way of punishing her, sitting on her face. He hadn't visited home very often since he went off to school, but the year before when he did, it was hard for him not to notice that her figure was quickly catching up to their mothers. That's when he swore he would never let any of his new friends in college meet his family. 


When he first moved back, he had shrunk from his previous 6’5” down to a measly 5’8”. Luckily his mother and sister were both pretty short, being 5’0 and 5’2 respectively, so he still wasn't looking up to them. But he knew it wouldn't be long, which Emma was good enough to remind him of.


As Tyler grappled with his shrinking world, an unexpected opportunity presented itself. A call from a reality TV show, "Big World, Little People", looking to document the lives of individuals like Tyler, who had contracted the shrinking condition. The concept was simple: capture the daily lives of its unique stars, turning their trials and tribulations into a spectacle for the world. Typical TV garbage. 


Linda and Emma were immediately taken by the idea, envisioning the fame and attention it would bring. Linda had always had a secret addiction to the small online fame she had on Instagram, and Emma had dreamed of becoming rich and famous, hoping that he tiktoks would gain traction. 

But for Tyler, it felt like a circus act he didn't want to be a part of. He had always dreaded his family being in the public eye, and didn't like the idea of being laughed at by the world.


Yet, his mother’s gentle reminder of their financial struggles, with Tyler's student loans and the increased cost of purchasing tiny clothes and supplies for him falling onto her, he reluctantly agreed.


As cameras invaded their home, Tyler's life was no longer his own. Like he had always suspected, these ‘reality’ TV shows had very little reality in them. While many of the events would be based on his actual life, the producers would often make him redo parts of his life, with added direction, so they could make the perfect TV moment.


And so, amidst the chaos of cameras, producers, family, and the ever-present gaze of the public, Tyler's extraordinary journey in a 'big world' as a 'little person' began.

Chapter End Notes:

_____________________________________



Thanks for reading, please leave a comment and let me know what you think/ what scenes you would like to create if you were one of the producers.