- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A Girls Frontline story. In order to protect her city from destruction, Architect battles the gigantic P90.
This one's a sort of follow-up to two previous chapters: Mouse Hunt and City-Building. The latter can be found on my previous Commissions Collection, and both can be found on my DeviantArt and AO3.
RATING: PG
TAGS: Titan, Mega, Giga, Crush, Destruction, Sci-fi, Footwear, Growing woman
Another perfect day dawned on Architect City, the single best city on Earth. As a million people rose to greet the sun, leaving their little homes for work, school, or even just a leisurely stroll around the city's many parks, Architect watched the idyllic scene with pride. It was all thanks to her, after all, that these people could enjoy such peaceful and happy lives. She had built all this for them—she, Architect, the Sangvis Ferri agent, until recently feared by humans and Dolls alike, now the beloved protector of all her citizens.

“Make way, make way, for the hero of Architect City!” she declared, sauntering through the busy streets. The tide of people broke for her, making for her a corridor so she could proceed in her morning tour of the city. Everyone greeted and cheered for her as she passed them by, the smiles on their faces showing they weren't the least bit bothered by the intense pink light in her eyes, nor even the multi-weapon she carried over her shoulder, a massive thing of her own invention practically as big as herself.

Slim though she was, still she wielded it without issue, her mechanical skeleton giving her strength far surpassing that of the average human. Yeah, with her strength and her weapon she could pretty much take on anyone at all. Hell, if she wanted to, she could easily wreck this entire city, and none of these humans would be able to stop her. Oh, they might cry and beg her to spare them and their homes, but if she really wanted to do it, there was no way they could convince her to stop. Explosion after explosion would rock their whole city, with a “BANG! BOOM! KABOOM!”, rockets and hellfire raining down on every structure with surgical precision to ensure they toppled over in the most brutally spectacular way! It would be a spectacle for the ages, that much was for sure!

Ahem; that was if she wanted to destroy this place, of course. Good thing that her destructive days were all in the past, and she had no interest in doing anything like that for the hell of it like she might have done before. No, now she used her considerable destructive prowess in defense of the people, using it to take out such threats as criminal gangs or alien invasions. And if there was ever some collateral damage, why, everyone perfectly understood the need for it and didn't blame her in the slightest.

Of late there hadn't been a need for such things, though. It had been years since Architect City was attacked by a horde of zombies, a catastrophe that resulted in the worst destruction the city had experienced since the great cataclysm decades ago, back when earthquakes, tornadoes, and tidal waves had all ravaged the land on the exact same day—an incredible stroke of bad luck that some might have considered an act of God.

In the years of peace since the latest disaster, the city had been repaired and built up to be bigger and better than ever before. Architect and her city alike were now renown the world over, and each year tens of thousands of people came flocking in to become new citizens. Science and the arts flourished, as did her peoples' wealth and health. Such peace and success could lull anyone into a sense of security, and with it the conviction that the times of danger were all long past. But while her citizens might all live without a care in the world, Architect knew she couldn't give into such complacency, not when some unknown enemy might strike at any moment. A million people depended on her to protect them, and she wouldn't let them down. That was precisely why she'd spend all this time building many battalions' worth of Jupiter Cannons, her most powerful and destructive creation: to secure by force her people's peace. She hadn't had reason to use them yet, but any day now she was certain that a threat worthy of their power would appear.

Who could have guessed that day would be today?

Peace and good cheer still reigned over the citizenry when Architect first received warning of something approaching from the west. Motioning for everyone to stand back, she deployed her jetpack and flew right up to the tallest building in the city, perching on its roof so she could view the incoming threat.

Architect's eyes fixed themselves on the vast wall of fog that began a mere kilometer away from the city's edge. That fog had surrounded the city from its inception, obscuring their connections to the rest of the world, and it only seemed to draw closer the more the city grew. It was harmless, by itself, yet it was the perfect cover for any threats to her city and people.

Half a minute later, something started to take shape in that shifting mass of vapor—an ominous shadow slowly coalescing into a distinctly human figure the closer it came to the edge. Only one, yet it still made for a chilling sight thanks to its sheer size. While it still wasn't clearly visible, no mere human could cast a shadow that big.

Any hopes that this titanic being might prove friendly were dashed as soon as it stepped out of the fog and revealed its fearsome figure to all. Some three hundred feet tall, it had the look of a young woman. Clad in a white and black outfit, with her light-blonde hair gathered up in a pair of buns, she was unmistakably a T-Doll of the P90 model, a creation of the evil Griffin & Kryuger meant to bring chaos and destruction to the lives of all peace-loving people on Earth. The titan wore an evil smile as she strode towards the city, making sure to crush every barn and shed and house in her path, raising up high her black shoes to threaten any farmers and tractors out tilling the fields.

“Groaaaar!” she yelled, her inhuman growl soon reaching the city and sending all its people into panic. Only Architect remained calm, focused on what needed to be done. From the moment she saw that monster crush the first building in its path, she loaded a rocket into her weapon, took aim, and fired at its head. But even as the thing roared it saw her shot coming closer and raised its monstrous hand to swat it from the air. The rocket exploded as it was struck by her palm, but the monster seemed unaffected by it, her thick black gloves absorbing all the damage intact.

Architect swore. While she still had more powerful rockets to lob at the titan, it didn't bode well that this one had dealt so little damage. There was no way she could defeat the giant Doll with her multi-weapon alone. She sent a signal to her Jupiter Cannons to get them ready for use, but it would still be some minutes before they were able to fire. In the meantime, she would have to take matters into her own hands.

As serious as the situation was, Architect couldn't help but feel a rush of excitement as she flew out to meet the titan, eager to test herself and her weapons against such a powerful foe. By then P90 was reaching the outskirts of the city, her long legs having quickly carried her all the way to its entrance, where she easily towered over every building in her proximity. Panicked masses fled at her approach, scurrying about under her feet while she trampled everything in her path as nonchalantly as if she were only stepping on grass,

The titan seemed drawn towards the skyscrapers in the city's center, her eyes locked on those towering structures which dared to challenge her height. There was no doubt that this giant would be easily able to send them falling with a few good hits, killing as much as tens of thousands of people in the process.

Left to their own devices, the citizens had no hope of stopping her even with all of them working together, and only whatever police officers happened to be in the vicinity even tried to do so, emptying their clips at the titan only for all their bullets to bounce harmlessly off her black boots or nylon-clad legs. Their only effect was P90's visible amusement. Sneering, she turned towards them and came closer, shaking the earth with one lumbering step after another.

The cops stood their ground until she was only a couple strides away. Their ammo depleted, they turned to flee, yet it was already too late for them. Only a few seconds later, P90 raised her monstrous foot over their heads and readied to crush them all.

That would have been the end of them, had an explosion many times more powerful than the last one not then struck her in the back. “Eek! Whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa!” the titan shouted, flailing her arms as she strove to keep her balance yet teetering ever lower despite it. Her foot thumped down right past the police officers in an attempt to stop her fall, but her great, lumbering legs were too sluggish to catch up to her center of gravity. She hit the ground with a thunderous CRASH as several of buildings were demolished under her heavy mass, giving all those caught under her only the quickest glimpse at the giant and the encroaching darkness before they were snuffed out beneath her.

“Oops!” Architect said from her perch atop a supermarket some blocks away, behind a small cloud of smoke that quickly dissipated in the wind. More smoke floated from the end of her weapon. “Did I hurt you? Oh, I'm sorry! I thought you were big enough to handle a tiny little rocket like that. Guess not!”

P90 growled as she rose to her feet, staring daggers at the city's cocky protector. “You're Architect, aren't you?” she said, eyeing that shrimp who dared challenge her. “Humph! They told me you might be trouble, but I can't see why. Doesn't matter how strong your guns are—a tiny thing like you goes crunch under my boot the same as any other.”

“Maybe, but if you're looking to step on me you'll have to catch up to me first!” Architect took flight again, hovering a yard above the roof.

“Heh! Piece of cake!” Both Dolls took off at once, Architect flying deeper into the city while P90 gave chase, stomping running through and over all the houses and other buildings as she ran, the powerful swinging of her legs tearing a pair of unseemly gashes right down the middle of the supermarket and sending its debris raining down over hundreds of feet.

CRASH! BOOM! CRUNCH! The air shook with the intensity of P90's destructiveness as the giant refused to slow down even as the buildings started reaching knee-height to her further into the city, her smooth legs kicking through the multi-story buildings without even the smallest tear in her stockings. Meanwhile, every so often Architect turned herself around and fired off another missile at the monstrous Doll; only, without any solid ground to steady herself, her aim proved less than reliable as one missile after another missed P90 entirely and blew up on this or that building instead, without fail blasting a good-sized hole on its face. Still, she shrugged off her failures and kept on shooting for as long as she could.

As the surrounding buildings grew and grew, soon Architect and P90 alike stopped flying or running over them and instead kept to the empty city streets. Nearly everyone had taken shelter by now, with only a few wayward souls still out and about, trying to get to God-knows-where despite the intense battle being waged. One such person, cruising down the street in his car, heard the incessant drumming of giant feet against the earth growing steadily louder until Architect rounded the corner a few streets ahead and made a sharp turn to fly right his way.

The citizen cheered on the protector of Architect City, only for the sound to turn into a scream when P90 skid to a halt at the very intersection where Architect had rounded the corner, giant feet tearing up yard after yard of asphalt until they came to a stop, then stampeding right towards him. By reflex he stepped on the brakes and his car screeched to a halt, right in the worst possible spot. As a foot the size of a city bus swung his way, he could only open the door and jump out of the car to avoid being trampled flat when it came down.

As both Dolls neared Architect Tower, the tallest building in the city, a sharp beep notified Architect that her jetpack was down to half its fuel; not good, but still enough for her plan. Nearing the tower's base, she made a sharp upwards turn and rocketed up towards he peak, where she nimbly perched on the roof with only the barest sliver of fuel left—perhaps not even enough for a safe landing down below. Still, with solid ground under her feet again, Architect shouldered her weapon and fired a missile at the scowling P90. Her aim was perfect, and only a timely sidestep saved the giant from a rocket to the face.

Architect had taken a step back to load another missile when the building shuddered. A look down the edge revealed P90 digging her hands and feet into the glass and concrete surface. The structure groaned and the floors threatened to collapse as she started climbing, closing in on Architect a hundred feet at a time.

Another missile rained down on P90, and this time there was no dodging. The titan ducked her, taking the hit. Nearby windows shattered and glass and dust rained down, decorating the back of her head together with a visible scorch mark and some scattered metal flakes of the missile's remains. Still, she just scowled at Architect and kept on climbing.

Three more missiles were all that Architect had left, and none proved any more effective than the first. For the last few hundred feet of P90's climb, she could only pepper the giant with a shower of bullets that didn't even slow her down. Finally a massive gloved hand appeared before Architect. Four fingers, thick as great tree trunks, fell on the roof, nearly catching Architect if not for her rolling out of the way. at the last second. Another hand followed after it and both gripped the concrete structure hard enough to spread cracks throughout the roof, sending whole chunks of it falling inside. The whole thing groaned and threatened to give as she pulled herself up, until a terrifying visage surfaced over the edge. Eyes the size of Architect herself locked onto her, and a fiendish grin spread over a mouth that could have easily swallowed her. And though she retreated to the other end of the roof, P90's arm easily stretched to where she stood. Her hand fell on Architect, fingers fencing her in and then closing in until she was neatly pinched between them, weapon and all.

Architect knew at once it was pointless to struggle; P90's fingers were many times stronger than her. She could only watch as she was brought around to face the monstrous Doll. “Any last words?” P90 asked, slowly licking her lips while she looked at her.

“Just one!” At the east end of the city, a series of powerful blasts rang out as the Jupiter Cannons unloaded a salvo towards the city, drawing P90's eyes to them. “Timberrrr!”

Architect Tower was rocked as shell after shell struck its base, tearing apart its lowest floors until they collapsed under the building's weight. The next few floors fell with them, crumpling up as they struck the earth. Higher up, the tower's top half broke off and toppled over, thrown off-balance by P90's weight.

The whole city shook as the titan struck the earth, with the top half of the building crashing onto her right after. A great cloud of dust materialized on impact, and joined the growing masses of dust from the still-collapsing building. For a while yet, the dust obscured everything around, including the Dolls' fate. Finally, everything went silent again. The dust started to settle down, and thousands of people stared at the pile of rubble that covered the giant to see what had become of it, and of their beloved protector.

Of P90 only a hand could be seen sticking out of the rubble. Of Architect there was no sign yet. Suddenly, one of the giant's fingers stirred. Did it yet live? It twitched and twitched, gradually uncurling, until finally, out from under it crawled out a slender figure carrying a hefty weapon: Architect lived.

Cheers rang from ten thousand throats as the city's protector hopped to the peak of that mountain of rubble, standing triumphantly on that monster's tomb.

The attack was over. The city would live to see another day.

“Heh! Not so tough, were you?” Architect gloated. “And here I thought Griffin's giants would be more of a challenge. Guess all that size doesn't mean anything when you're up against my big boys! Too bad you couldn't hold on a bit longer; would've been good to see what a direct hit from my cannons can do to something like you!”

Her eyes scanned the pile of rubble up and down, as if waiting for something to happen. Eventually, it did.

The rubble started to move as something stirred underneath. Architect jetted back with the last bit of fuel, expecting the monster to get back up, but it soon became clear that something entirely different was going on. P90 wasn't moving; she was just growing bigger. The rubble that covered her was all lifted higher up together, and Architect along with it, while that around her was pushed out by her rapidly expanding figure, or else caught under her mass and subsequently flattened. Her boots started pushing up against a nearby building, and soon were pushing it over. More and more buildings followed, being razed to the ground under by the titan's head, arms, hips and legs, while her mass and rate of growth dug a deep and growing P90-shaped crater right into the heart of the city. And all that without the giant moving a muscle.

By the time the Doll finished growing, Architect, standing on P90's belly, was higher up than she had been even atop Architect Tower. The giant was a newly-formed mountain range cutting Architect City in half. And now that mountain was waking up.

Earthquakes of a magnitude not heard of since that day of disaster decades ago now rippled out from P90's body as the colossus pushed herself up. The field of her belly, where Architect stood, turned into a slope that the city's protector rolled down together with so much. Eventually settling on P90's skirt, Architect clung to its rope-like fibers and sent a desperate signal to her Jupiter Cannons. The cannons adjusted their aim and pelted P90 with shellfire that reached no higher than her knees.

P90 giggled. At her new size, even the mighty Jupiter Cannons could do her no harm. She stepped forward, her colossal foot grazing the tops off dozens of buildings as it swung forward and flattening a couple blocks where it landed. The shockwave that followed collapsed many more buildings around it.

She seemed almost to be moving in slow motion, taking several seconds to finish even a single step, but even at a walk she moved at more than 200 miles per hour, something Architect felt all too well as the sudden acceleration flattened her to P90's skirt. She hurried to readjust her cannons to account for the monstrous Doll's movement, but in these circumstances she could only guess at where to aim, and countless shells rushed right past P90's legs to pockmark her city instead.

Just two more steps and P90's foot hung right over the cannons, which kept blasting away at the sole of her boot until the end. The awful noise as they were flattened and the silence that followed were gut-wrenching, but worse was when the giant's eyes fell on Architect. “I told you it all goes crunch just the same, didn't I?”

Her hand appeared under Architect. Thumb and forefinger plucked the smaller Doll from her skirt and carried her down, dropping her right on the ground. Once she rose to her full height, her sole appeared overhead, the very image of death, raining down so much dirt all around Architect. It came down slowly, darkening the land as it approached.

Nothing under her boot could have survived, much less when she ground it all down with a few good twists of her foot. When she stepped away, there was only a deep crater left where Architect had been. With the city's protector gone, there was nothing left to protect the survivors from her wrath. P90 stomped back to the city and resolved to finish her campaign of terror, crushing the fleeing masses underfoot, kicking down whatever buildings remained, razing everything to the ground! She was unstoppable! A monster! She was–

“Ooookay, I never thought I'd say this, but that's enough destruction I think.”

Gently lowering her foot at the sound of that voice, the towering P90 turned around and walked right back to the crater where a dazed Architect was trying to dig her lower half out of the ground. “Sorry! Guess I got a little carried away with my role. How was my performance? Was I good? I know you said I could improvise everything and so whatever came naturally, but I'm not sure if talking really fit the role you had in mind. I mean, kaiju don't really talk, right?” She crouched over Architect, casually swiping her up onto a fingertip and bringing her up to her face, where her eyes overlooked the tiny dot that was Architect's avatar in this simulation.

“Eh, don't sweat the small stuff like that. Talking or no talking doesn't matter. What matters is you got the destruction part down pat!” Architect climbed to the peak of her fingertip, wiping down the dirt and dust that covered her. “What I really didn't expect was you growing bigger.”

“He-he! I wasn't expecting it either. I came up with it right on the spot, and it took me a minute to get it working.”

“So that's why you were being so quiet! I thought you were doing a pause for dramatic effect or something.”

“Never thought of that, but it's good that it worked out that way! Er, you're not upset about it, right? I mean, you never said I could grow, but you never said I couldn't either...”

“Like I said, don't sweat the small stuff! It was in good fun, and besides, it all helps me test this destruction mod. You did have fun with it, right?”

“Oh, plenty! I'm so glad we found a way to connect me to your console! Oh, but, don't tell anyone about this, please? I'm sure they'd get real worried if they heard me saying I had fun smashing up buildings, especially since I got in trouble for that once already...”

Architect raised an eyebrow. “You got in trouble for wrecking buildings? When was this? They weren't inhabited, right?”

“No, no, no! They were all abandoned! See, there was this one little guy and I was playing a game with him—well, he didn't know that it was a game, but still—and I was getting really into it before the end! See, it all started when I went to–”

“Hold it! Much as I'd love to sit here listening to the story, how about you show me how it all went down instead? Supposing you have the time, of course.”

P90 was more than happy to agree, and as she shrank back down to her “normal” size, Architect searched all her other cities for the best match, both so eager to start their game anew.
Chapter End Notes:

The last commission of 2023. A big thanks to all my commissioners and to everyone who follows my work. Will keep writing plenty in 2024, so stick around if you like what I'm doing. Until then, happy holidays and a happy new year to everyone.