- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A man discovers one of his friends is more than she seems to be when he wakes up in a world dictated by her will.
RATING: G
TAGS: Tera, Gentle, Handplay
When Isaac woke up, he was completely alone. The house was empty, his family gone. Not a car in town was moving. Not a soul walked the streets. No birds were chirping, no dogs barking, no insects buzzing. Only the occasional rustling of leaves in the wind cut the silence blanketing all.

The sky was pitch black, not a star nor cloud in sight, yet for all that he could still see as clearly as though it were the middle of the day. Was this a dream? It felt so unnatural, and yet, so vividly real. And there was another feeling, too—a sense that he was being watched. He walked the streets alone, looking for his unseen stalker, until something pulled his gaze to the sky. Still nothing but black stretching out to the horizon.

But then, it blinked.

For the briefest instant, the blackness of the sky was replaced with a pale wall from which stretched out monstrous black filaments. These swept by the planet, down and up on either side, with such power that the Earth itself shuddered as though it knew how close it had come to annihilation. Then came that laughter. A high, girlish giggling which reverberated over the whole world like a ceaseless peal of thunder, rattling every object in the city. A dreadful sound. A familiar sound.

“Marcy?” he uttered. It was the barest whisper, yet as soon as he spoke it, the black sky retreated, shrinking to become the pupil of a human face which now filled the sky. Fair skinned and dark haired, with deep blue eyes fixed right on him, and thin, rosy lips spread in a grin.

“Hello, Isaac.” The voice came not to his ears but to his mind, her playful words filling his skull from within.

“Marcy, what is the meaning of this? What happened to you? What happened to everyone?”

“Nothing happened to me, my sweet. This has always been the real me. I took on that lowly form you knew so that I could be with you in your world. As for everyone else, I simply made them... disappear for now. I'm trying to help you see that you don't need anyone else in this whole entire world but me. I didn't think I would need to take such drastic measures—I thought I was doing a good enough job showering you with my love each and every day like a mortal woman would—but you, my lovely little Isaac, are so adorably bullheaded. Seems the only way you'll really learn to appreciate me is to spend eternity alone with me.”

Isaac's mouth ran dry. Eternity? With her? He licked his lips. I don't get it. What do you mean the real you? Are you a... Goddess? And what do you mean disappear?”

“Goddess? Heheh! Oh, you humans and your silly ideas. I'm no more a goddess than you are the god of those computer games you play. Just a girl having fun. And what does 'disappear' mean? Vanished. Gone. Deleted from the game files. No more. It's a shame—I really liked some of them—but I had to do it. They were distracting you from me, you see. This way you can think only of me, for ever. And if I have to erase the rest of the universe for a century or two before you learn to do that, well, that's a price I'm willing to pay. Don't worry, I made sure they wouldn't suffer. They're not suffering now either. They're not anything now. So forget about all those little people and think only of me. It may take you some time, but you'll see that this was for the best. You'll be happier with me than you ever could have been with them.”

As she finished speaking to him, Isaac's mind was flooded with emotion so intense it made him keel over. It was love—pure, obsessive love, focused on him and him alone. It felt like a pressure all over his body, an energy that tried to resonate within his heart, to awaken in him the same feeling of love that she had for him. Then, as suddenly as it had arrived, it ended, and he was left trembling as he stood, looking up at those cosmic eyes which looked at him so expectantly.

Had this happened to anyone else, there was no way he could have believed them. It seemed so ridiculous, such obvious fabrication. A dream, a hallucination, an absurdly tall tale. But here and now, there was nothing ridiculous about all this; nothing but sheer terror. He was shaken to his very core. And while he would have liked to believe that this was nothing but a horrible nightmare, some intuition he could not deny told him this was all real. If anything, it was his old life which seemed like a dream to him now. A dream he wished he could go back to.

“If... you made them disappear... can you bring them all back?”

“I could. What of it?”

Isaac's mind raced. He knew there was nothing he could do to make Marcy stop obsessing over him. The feeling that had come over him had been like the bright light of a hundred suns, something he could never hope to challenge. But maybe he could convince her that she didn't need to take things this far. “Please, bring them back. I beg you. They didn't do anything wrong. If you do, I promise that I'll be with you forever. I won't ignore you and I won't let them distract me like you said. We'll be together, just how you want it.”

“Do you swear it?”

“I... I do.”

“Oh, Isaac. Even with your promise I can't believe you. Your will is weak and fickle. You can say you'll choose to be with me, but next thing you know, you'll be looking for some way out, begging me to send you home with your friends and family.”

“Please. Isn't there some way I can prove to you that I mean it?”

“You really want to prove it? Well... Ah! I know! For one day, we'll be together. I'll do whatever I please with you, and you'll do whatever I ask of you. If you can bear it all without asking me to stop, then I know you can be trusted to keep your promise to me. But if you ever go back on it, I'll have to erase the rest of the universe until you learn to love me and only me, however long it takes. Only when you forget all about them will I bring everyone back.”

Isaac grimaced. “I... accept.”

“Good! Then we can start right away. First, I want to show you something.” Isaac tried to steel himself for whatever it was Marcy meant him to see, but there was no way he could have prepared for what was coming. His own sight disappeared, and in its place another was beamed into his mind. “You're seeing what I'm seeing, or what I would be seeing if my eyes worked just like a human's. Now, see this blue dot?” He didn't at first, not until Marcy held up her finger and he saw, floating before it, a diminutive little speck, so small it could hardly be said to have color. He already guessed what it was, but all the same her next words hit like a pack of grapeshot to his stomach.

“This is the planet Earth.”

Isaac felt like fainting. He fell to his knees, heaving like he was about to vomit. Then, when he saw her finger start rocking back and forth, he tensed up from head to toe. On Marcy's scale, the planet was no more than a fraction of an inch from her fingertip. It would take but one little curl for the world to be obliterated—just one, careless twitch.

“Are you scared, dear? Don't be. I'm not going to smash your planet. And besides, even if I did, I would never let that kill you. It's my will that you live with me forever. Nothing will ever take you from me. Now hang on, because we're not done yet. Like I said, that's what I would see if my eyes were like yours. But I can see better than that. Let's take a closer look, shall we?”

It wasn't that the Earth came any closer, or that the view zoomed in any. He could still see everything he had seen before, but now the detail on everything had been enhanced. He could make each and every individual skin cell on Marcy's finger all at once, along with countless new stars in the sky that had been too small and distant to be seen previously, and of course, the Earth itself. He could see its surface as though it were a satellite image, with his own home continent lying dead center on it. With such clarity he could now see, the planet wasn't even half as big as one of her skin cells. He grew dizzy, and his limbs shaky. He felt as though his whole body were curdling up from the inside.

“And this isn't anywhere near the limit of my sight, you know.” No, please. “Let's look...” Stop. Stop. “... a little closer.” Marcy... “ This...” Oh God. “... is you.”

The whole of the Earth's surface was now laid bare before Isaac in such detail and clarity as he could never have grasped without Marcy's help. Every tree, every blade of grass, every stone on every beach in the world. And there, dead center, was he, small beyond small—a germ to a germ lost on fingertip fit to house a solar system.

Isaac fainted, and later awoke, still in the middle of the street. He opened his eyes, and was glad to find that he saw only through them.

“Are you okay, Isaac?” Marcy's voice pulled his attention upwards, to her face in the sky above. She looked concerned. “I'm sorry if that was too much for you. But I need you to know where things really stand so you're not just banking on your human ignorance to get you through this. And, I also wanted you to understand just how much I love you. You saw it, right? If I were a human, you'd be even less than a microbe to me. An atom, even. Just think: of all the countless atoms that have existed in this infinite universe since the beginning of time, the only one I've ever loved, the one I love more than anything else in the world, is you. You're special to me, Isaac. And I won't let anything keep you from me.”

There was no threat in what she said. No forcefulness at all. It was a perfectly innocent statement of fact. And yet, it chilled him to the core. It shocked him that he could have believed she was a human for so many years; there wasn't a shred of human feeling in her whole being. An elder god in human clothing, using human words to speak of feelings utterly alien to humanity.

This frantic reflection was cut short as he saw Marcy's fingertip appear in the sky. “Here, climb on,” she said as her finger began its descent, filling up more and more of the sky as it approached until that peachy surface reached as far as the eye could see. As it entered the atmosphere, the air above was displaced downwards, bearing down on him and the rest of the Earth's surface with such incredible pressure that it flattened him to the ground. He shut his eyes, yet even so he could ear around him cracking and crashing noises as one by one every building in town was flattened under the pressure. Steel and concrete were no match for it, but he himself was fine—Marcy's love protected him.

Finally the pressure eased up and all fell silent. When he ventured to open his eyes, Isaac saw that peachy ceiling no more than five feet above him, still as a stone. Everywhere else there was only pile after pile of rubble and fallen trees.

He was numb, physically and mentally, when he finally stood again, reaching up to Marcy's fingertip to climb on it. As soon as his hands touched it, he felt the pull of gravity shift, and he fell upwards onto that new world. A second later, he saw the Earth retreating from sight, vanishing into that minuscule blue dot so quickly that he lost track of it among all the stars of the sky. Torn from his home, perhaps forever. Then, he was turned around to face Marcy.

“Isaac. My dear Isaac. I finally have you in my hands.” Her other hand cupped around her fingertip, vast worlds of flesh appearing at his left and right, in front and behind him. With her face above and her finger below, there wasn't a single spot he could turn to and see anything other than her.

So overwhelmed was he that the lack of any air here away from Earth seemed a totally secondary concern, at least until he noticed his lungs aching for it and clutched at his throat. By all accounts he should have been dead already, and only thanks to Marcy's will was he alive, though very weak.

“Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot about you needing air. Don't panic, I'll give you some right away.” By then he had collapsed on his back, and as he lay there he saw her mouth coming closer—a gaping maw big enough to eat entire star systems, a devourer of worlds, a supermassive black hole. He saw her tongue moving like some ungodly beast, glistening with oceans of spit and a helping of stardust, and feared that this would be his end. Nancy wanted to be with him forever; now she would eat him and he would become a part of her.

Instead, warm and humid wind came rushing out and over Isaac. It rushed into his lungs even before he made the effort to breathe it in, and suffused the fingertip with a new atmosphere. “Do you like my breath? I made it the perfect mix of gasses for a human like you. The perfect density. The perfect atmospheric pressure. The perfect temperature and humidity. Breathe it in. Don't you feel better than ever? This is just one of the many gifts I have in store for you, my love.

“Ah, my love! Finally I can call you that every moment of every day! My love! My love! My love! Do you feel it, Isaac? The same lovely tingling as me?” In fact he could. It was that same wave of intense emotion as before, and it grew and grew with every new “My love” she uttered, until it had him back on the ground. “Now its your turn! Call me your love!”

“Y-yes, my love.” The moment he spoke those words, a cosmic squeal rang out over everything, spacetime itself shaking to transmit the sound to every corner of creation, and her emotions washed over him with such potency that for a moment he was overwhelmed and felt as though they were his own. He felt for Marcy the same unbridled love that she felt for him, and wished only to be with her forever. Had not some small part of him remained steadfast against it, he might have succumbed to it forever, his whole being washed away and replaced with the longing for Marcy. And to think he might be dealing with this for the rest of his life. How much more of it could he weather before he was broken by the tides of her love and remade in her image?

“Now, my love... This may be a bit sudden, but I want us to have our first kiss. Please, pucker up for me, will you?” Her cheeks turned rosy pink as she spoke the words, blush utterly incongruous with the power she had shown. She closed her eyes and puckered her lips and started pulling Isaac closer. Seeing that vast wall of pink approaching, Isaac too shut his eyes, but only at the last moment remembered to pucker up for it.

The finger pushing at his back sank him thousands upon thousands of miles into that surprisingly soft lip. He felt no pain, but the pressure was unbelievable, and the softness too. How something so immense and powerful could still feel so soft was beyond his ken.

The kiss went on and on, far longer than he had expected. A minute passed. Two minutes. He started running out of air again, all while he felt as much as heard Marcy's “soft” moans rippling in the fabric of space all around him. Then her finger retreated from his back and he was left lying on her lip. Only now did he unpucker his lips and lift his head up for a gasp of air, panting for that sweet atmosphere. But he was wrong if he thought that was the end of it.

Now Marcy's lips pressed together, with Isaac between them. Floor and ceiling alike both soft and smooth as velvet, yet stronger than a hydraulic press, slid back and forth against each other and slid him between them as well, hundreds of thousands of miles per second. In vain did he struggle against them, a germ caught between two planet crushers, until a minute later he settled down and submitted to his fate. Better to save his energy for when he could use it. He still had a whole day with Marcy ahead of him, after all, and who knew what else the love-struck being had in store for him. If he failed this challenge of hers, his friends, his family, everyone on Earth—who knew when they'd see the light of day again. He had to hold it together, for them if not himself. After all, his was already a lost cause.