- Text Size +
The time was 11:35 PM, on a rainy stormy night at the Minitropolis Penitentiary as a psychologist came in to talk to a particularly troubled inmate. His name was Karl and he was shaking as he sat in his seat, waiting for the psychologist to show up. Her name was Dr. Sheila Hillenbrandt and she was appointed to handling particularly troubling cases. It seemed a lot of inmates had been claiming the same thing though ... it seemed highly delusional and concerning to somebody of her profession. She hoped it didn't signal some larger mental disease that was going around. Still, the doctor was conscientious, caring and as kind as could be under the circumstances. She wore a buttoned up navy blue suit jacket with white blouse underneath, bore a concerned face with dark brown eyes, slightly overcast by her light mahagony hair.

She'd take a seat across from the skittish convict and nod sympathetically

"I just want to ask you a few questions ... Mr... " she'd pause, peering into her notebook of names and photos on file, "Karl Streisky..."

"You won't believe me..." he scowled, backing away in his chair, "none of them do..."

"Just please ... tell me what happened the other night ..." Dr. Hillenbrandt asked calmly, "I promise not to judge"

Karl seemed less than willing but he took a deep breath and pressed on.

It had all happened a week or so ago. Him and a few of his associates, a smaller branch of something known as the Chaos Crew were on a heist at a bank. As the name implies, the Crew was assembled to cause havoc in the city, usually breaking off into multiple factions and causing mischief and crime if for no other reason than to keep the heat off their boss, Byron Biggs, a sort of mob boss. It also wasn't too uncommon for the Crew to be so widespread in numbers they'd often attack one another, not knowing which criminals were put on which jobs. It was dangerous work for sure but for Karl, he could handle a little danger.

He was 29 years old, and grew up without his parents who were tragically taken from him. He long believed the police were reponsible for not doing more to prevent their murder. This thinking influenced most of his life decisions, drawing him in towards a life of crime. Well, that and the promise of large amounts of money and bounty.

On this night, him and his Crew were storming the Minitropolis Bank. It was a job they had scoped out for about a week, looking at the weaknesses of the laser grid security system, how many guards were on duty each night and about how long it would take to infiltrate the safe room, grab a sizable amount of money and get out before tripping any alarms or alerting the police. It also helped that the Chaos Crew had an insider working for them. That's right, it wasn't uncommon for the Crew to recruit "civilians" who often times weren't even involved directly in the crimes other than to provide intel.

Anyways, the plan was flawless. They had considered every possible variable. Except one. Her name was Alexis Cole. Of course they didn't know that. They knew her simply by a set of initials. SG.

Hours earlier, Alexis Cole, or Lexi as she liked to be called received a tip of her own, that the Minitropolis First United Bank was down to be hit around that time that night. How? Well a security guard had caught wind of the plan from the Crew's inside man. How did Lexi know that security guard? Well, she didn't. Her friend Josh did. Josh knows people.

The Crew were successful in the first step of the plan, having subdued the pair of sluggish guards that stood watch over the bank's entrance. After all, the guards figured they didn't need to be TOO diligant as the security system within was state of the art. Even if somebody should slip through the cracks, they would be caught and the police would be sent in to handle things as quick as possible.

That wouldn't be the case that night.

The thuggish looking gang knocked out both guards using the tips of their assuault rifles before finding swiping their key cards and getting inside.

"Shhh..." Karl warned, holding his 2 cohorts back, "Wait until we get the signal..."

"What signal?" another one asked, looking around to notice no laser grids in sight. "The alarms seem to be disabled already"

"Hmm, you're right..." Karl muttered to himself, although he didn't seem too happy about it. AFter all, with the alarms momentarily disabled, their plan was going right on track. He didn't seem so convinced.

"There's no way Axel got in that fast" Karl added, shaking his head with worry while his cohorts went on ahead to the safe room knowing time was of the essence. He'd pick up his phone and call for Axel. "Axel... Axel, why didn't you tell us you disabled the alarm?"

"....I didn't" a very confused Axel would answer, "it was turned off when I got here"

"What? But how? You're the only one of us who knows where the control room is and it's not like somebody could've just snuck in before us and..." Karl started before getting startled by the sound of a fight breaking out. He'd hear a thud before the line went silent. "Fuck ... Axel! AXEL!"

"...really? Your guy's name is Axel?" the voice on the other end chuckled. It was certainly not Axel, it sounded like a young lady with a mocking tone, "Were Ratchet and Clank not available?" she added before hanging up the phone.

"Fuck." Karl thought but continued to follow his men. Had Biggs double crossed them again? Sent in another criminal to do their job? It was bad enough they had that rogue vixen Roxie running around getting in their way ... what use was there sending them to do another job that was already tabbed for someone else?

Karl would cautiously approach the safe room, noticing the door was cracked but he heard no noise from his boys.

"Cmon guys, we gotta get what we need quick and get out of here... somebody beat us to the job..." Karl warned, stepping closer as he kept his gun at his side, "...guys? C'mon this isn't funny, we gotta go... for real"

Still no answer. Karl was getting peeved now.

"Alright, let's just go before..." Karl yelped, but what met him on the other side of the door was a swift fist to the face, causing him to stumble back in shock. "shit"

"What?" Lexi smirked, looking at her own fist and twirling it a bit, "not expecting me to hit so hard for a girl?"

"The fuck are you?" Karl asked

"That's what your other guys said..." Lexi shrugged, noting their fallen bodies at her feet, "I didn't have to say much more, nor do I think I need to tell you who I am either ... now why don't we just do this..."

Karl lay there on the ground, a bit woozy, trying to decipher everything that was happening. If this new person was one of Byron's, she was pretty eccentric, even for him. She wore purple and gold like some kind of cheerleader and a shiny metal belt that clearly said "SG" on it, the metal work impeccably sharp, as were her matching wrist gauntlets, posing as some kind of Wonder Woman ripoff. Her steps towards him were fairly quiet considering she was wearing metallic purple boots as she strolled closer. Despite her young age, she didn't even seem afraid. It was as if this particular young woman had dealt with menaces before. But she hadn't dealt with him, or a gun to the face.

"No, why don't you back the fuck away from this job, you bitch?" Karl would snap, hastily getting himself up before the smug young lady could come any closer. This startled Lexi a bit and she raised her hands in defense. "Who sent you?"

"Okay..." Lexi nodded, the smile no longer an issue as it faded away from her concerned face, "I can tell ... you're upset ... I don't blame you ... you're probably scared"

Karl would fire a warning shot into the air, well above Lexi but still effective in getting her stunned. "You're damn right!! I'm not fucking around, you little bitch ... who sent you? Is this some kind of dare? Why are you dressed like Captain Marvel?"

"Captain Marvel? Really?" Lexi rolled her eyes, "c'mon, now we're not even..."

BANG!

Another gunshot would silence the talkative Lexi as he shot a bit closer this time.

"Let's .... just ... talk..." Lexi nodded, stepping slowly closer to him. As she did, he could notice weird electricity surrounding her feet and hands.

"The fuck are you?" Karl yelped, beginning to wonder just what was happening. This all felt like something out of a dream ... or a superhero movie.

"Please ... put the gun down..." Lexi nodded, still stepping closer but the apprehension on her face was apparent. She was confident but she wasn't stupid. She knew her foe had the upper hand ... for now. "I promise you... you won't like what I do next"

"Is that a threat, you fuckin'?" Karl began, his rage getting the best of him as he was swift to pull the trigger but Lexi was swifter, able to position herself under him and grab for his right arm, the one that held the gun. From then she'd take a deep breath, her heartrate going about a million miles a minute but she'd slow it just long enough to allow her to activate her secret weapon.

The electricty from her feet and hands seemed to transfer into the stunned criminal as he'd drop his gun and watch her grow in front of him. In fact ... the whole bank seemed to be growing as he felt like he was being static shocked and momentarily immobile. He'd look up in disbelief, continuing to shout obscenities, which Lexi couldn't help but find amusing considering his dwindling situation.

"What are you doing to me?! You bitch?! What are you!?"

Now unfortunately for Lexi and even moreso for Karl, she still wasn't super well versed in how her superpowers worked and so Karl would find himself tiny in a matter of moments but to make things worse, his clothes would be not so tiny, leaving him naked and swimming in them as the now giant superheroine loomed over him.

By this point, more than enough time had elapsed to alert the authorities and the alarms began blaring. A loud sound for most people but even moreso for the tiny 3 inch tall Karl who was left shriveled up in his clothes.

Lexi shook her head and sighed, "I tried to warn you ... but I'm not completely heartless... I will grow you back but it'll take a few minutes ..." Lexi nodded, leaning over and staring at the scared little criminal, "Hopefully in that time, you'll be able to think about what you did ... and also the cops will be here to take you away ... sorry it had to be this way"

With that Lexi would gently reach out with 2 fingers as the horrified Karl Streisky tried futitely to escape. The 2 fingers would briefly spark him but as she had mentioned, he wouldn't feel the growth starting right away as it would take a bit of time. With that, Lexi would stand up to full height and not say another word, instead dashing out from wence she came, leaving Karl and his gang ripe for arrest with Karl no more than 3 inches high.

"...and that's what happened" Karl sighed, still trembling as he relived the ordeal. In real time, he was likely only tiny for 5-10 minutes but the sight and chill of it all haunted him still. It felt like an eternity waiting to grow back and by the time he did, he was a weeping wreck buried in his clothes when the cops came to detain him and his associates, who all corroborated his story to some degree, saying that they also saw a purple and gold clad woman attack them but the shrinking part seemed to be where some disagreements arose. Some even said the girl shrank HERSELF sometimes, performing acrobatic tricks while the size of a bug only to grow back and smack them in the face at her full size.

Dr. Hillenbrandt would continue taking notes, trying her best not to show any reaction whatsoever. As concerning as the story was and the degree of the young man's delusions, she could tell he was genuinely shaken up in retelling the story. Whatever the case, she could tell that he truly believed that those events happened and wasn't lying, at least not in his mind.

"Thank you for your time, Mr. Streisky" the cold sounding Hillenbrandt said, getting up and leaving the room, going behind a glass wall to talk to someone else, the man who had been appointed as Karl's defense attorney.

"You don't believe me..." Karl sighed, already knowing that was the case.

After chatting with the psychiatrist, Karl's defense lawyer made his way into the room. He'd sit across from his criminal client and make stern eye contact for several moments before speaking.

"Okay so ... it seems you're dead set on pleading insanity..." he sighed

"I am NOT pleading insanity" Karl sighed, "I'm TELLING you what happened!"

The lawyer would look both ways as if to make sure nobody was listening as he leaned in privately

"But what really happened?" he asked with a whisper, "I can try to reduce your sentence but you need to be honest with me here... telling these fantasies is only going to make things worse for your case"

"I'm telling you the truth!" Karl sighed, slumping in his chair

"...then again, the jury may find sympathy for somebody so young going through so much ... maybe we could convince them of your mental unrest ... the doctor over there seems to believe it anyhow"

Karl would just sigh and shake his head. He know what he saw that night ...


------

"Really good practice today, girls" Chrissy would say cheerfully closing her locker to look across at the pale blonde girl across from her. "Especially you Rachel ... that spin move at the end was really something, think you'll be able to pull that off at the regionals?"


"I mean ... maybe..." Rachel nodded shyly, but of course Rachel Rutschmann had always been a sort of shy girl.

From a young age she had a bit of an overbearing mother who, despite only wanting the best for her, could push her into some situations she wasn't comfortable with. Rachel felt herself to be an introvert, yet here she was as a college cheerleader, following up on her 7 plus years of being a cheerleader in general. She was also in choir, spent a brief time in chess club (before her mom realized she wasn't exactly going to win the chess championship) as well as most other clubs in school. Sure, she liked people just fine but she also enjoyed her down time, something she didn't get much of. It did help that she took a liking to Chrissy pretty early on. If she had to be pushed into cheer club she was glad to have someone like Chrissy as a friend.

"You okay hon?" Chrissy would ask, picking up on Rachel's unease as the 2 girls walked from the locker room to the campus outside.

"Yeah, yeah, it's all good..." Rachel chuckled, "just thinking about finals and all that"

"Finals?" Chrissy asked, "hon, spring break ended just a few days ago ... we got plenty of time"

"M-Maybe but I need to get straight A's again or..."

"Right" Chrissy rolled her eyes, "your mom, you were telling me about... but hey, she makes a mean cookie"

"Ugh..." Rachel sighed, looking even more fatigued. After all, that was the last thing she needed to hear about.

"S-Sorry ..." Chrissy pouted, "...I'd like to stay and talk but I actually have to go to work in a few ... we'll hang out soon, alright? And again, super work today at practice, we're going to kick some ass in the spring, even more than we did in the winter, ok?"

"Y-Yeah ... sure" Rachel nodded, offering a sincere smile as she had appreciated Chrissy's optimism. She'd look behind her and watch the other cheerleaders heading their seperate ways. She'd open her mouth briefly as if to say something to them, and maybe arrange a hangout but then shrug and walk off. Perhaps some alone time was best for now. Before she could go much further though she felt a vibration from her cell phone which she removed from her purse in curiosity, "Hello? Oh hiya Mr. Hilfmann ... yeah, I can come in today..."