- Text Size +

Theodora gripped her spear tightly, listening to the soft rustle of the jungle around her. This far from the village the larger lizards were more aggressive, more willing to approach a human. The air carried a warm wet humidity with it that muffled the sound slightly, causing the leaves to drip with water even under a sunny sky poking through the green canopy overhead.

The soft rustling of the plant behind her told her everything she needed to know, the thing hunting her was alone, and it was small enough that she could kill it on her own… probably.

Don’t hesitate now…

She roared, spinning as the razorlizard leapt into the air, hissing its own battle cry as the terrible talons on its feet extended like knives, ready to rend her flesh. Her spear caught the beast just below its arm, and the claws sliced along her own side as the leap was thwarted, keeping it from slicing her belly open even as white-hot pain went up her side and blood ran down her light brown skin. She gritted her teeth, struggling to keep the snapping lizard’s teeth away from her throat. Her arms shook as she pushed with the spear, rolling in the dirt.

Her strength was failing, and while the cold blooded predator was hurt, it was still full of life and fire. It would cut her to pieces in minutes, she realized, and she snarled as she readied for a last desperate grapple.

Suddenly there was a yelp as a steel sword came down on the creature, cutting through its flesh with ease and causing it to go slack with a final thrash in the dirt.

Theodora panted a moment, looking up at a familiar smiling face. Justin’s black hair reflected the sunlight through the tree canopy as he lowered muscular arm to help her up, and she could feel the strength of his callused hands as he lifted her. He was one of the village’s finest warriors and hunters, and the casual ease with which he tossed the dead razorlizard aside was a testament to the fact. 

“You’re lucky it wasn’t one of those big gold scaled bastards,” Justin remarked, “you should be more careful out here.”

“There wouldn’t be a Goldscale this close to the village,” she retorted, wincing as she touched her side. The scratches weren’t too bad, all things considered, but they’d still need to be bandaged. The blood though would be smelled by almost everything else in the jungle, both predators and her prey, her hunting, for today, was over.

“Come on, lean on me,” Justin insisted, moving next to her.

“My legs are fine,” she snapped, a little harsher than she meant.

“You’re a great hunter Theodora,” Justin said quietly, “but these beasts… they’re not like the ones back in the grasslands, you need to be strong, strong like-“

“A man?” she asked with a sigh.

He looked away, refusing to answer, but his look said it all.

Goddess damn you, she thought bitterly, following him back to their village. As much as she wanted to curse at him, a part of her was feeling a shred of doubt. In their old home, before they’d been forced to flee the advancing Imperial legions, she’d wandered the planes as a young girl at the side of Justin and his father. There had been wolves, even the occasional puma or bear, but nothing half so ferocious as the enormous reptiles and other creatures that wandered the southern jungles.

Soon enough the great clearing of hewn away jungle came into view, and in the center waited the village of Wet Soil. In the distance there were handfuls of fields, growing their scattered crops, and a few herders tending the massive aurochs, native bovines that the former plainsmen had found surprisingly easy to tame.

With nearly four thousand inhabitants, Wet Soil was one of the largest villages that the Plainsmen had founded following their settlement of the jungles some ten years prior. Carving a new kingdom out of the jungle out of the loss of their great walled cities in the grasslands had been difficult, but they were managing. Her own father, Rodric Highgrass, was their chieftain, and while life had not been easy, they were beginning to tame the jungles as they had tamed the plains.

As for the Imperials… Theodora scowled as she saw a handful of people in the town square listening to a voice that always made her skin crawl.

“The Empire is prosperous,” Decius explained with a wave, “there is work and lands for all of you, if you will just swear fealty to the Emperor!”

“And who was it who took those lands from us in the first place?” Justin called, causing the crowd to part.

“The Emperor is the gods appointed ruler of all of humanity,” Decius drawled, “those of your people who remained have found his rule fair and his protection absolute. They are free to worship that goddess of yours, if they so wish, though many now choose to worship Typhon and the rest of the true pantheon.

“Your people burned Diana’s temples you liar!” Theodora sneered.

“Every time I walk by this square I’m surprised someone hasn’t strung you up,” Justin snarled, letting his hand rest on his sword pommel.

Decius just smirked, and a pair of bored looking Imperial soldiers, in full bronze plate armor, suddenly snapped to attention. The envoy just chuckled, waving them to relax.

“Peace Justin,” Decius said, “It is my mission to bring you all back to civilization, and your chieftain Rodric wisely allows my presence because of the gifts I bring you all in good faith.”

Justin glowered at him a minute, and then stalked away. Theodora followed him, walking to their chieftain’s home. Rodric’s home wasn’t any larger than any others in the village, though his door had an elaborate motif of the Goddess Diana carved into it, a sword raised high. The door itself had been hauled across the plains and into the jungles by Rodric himself, once an attendant of a Priestess of Diana before the Imperials out of Camford had driven them from their homes.

“He goes too far,” Justin muttered.

“But the steel he brings us is valuable,” Theodora admitted, “even your own blade came from ingots he gave us.”

“He gives us scraps, like a master trying to lure a dog back to the kennel,” Just replied, glancing distastefully at his own weapon. “He’s ingratiated himself with the priestess somehow, those two are always stealing away when they think no one is looking.”

“She’s supposed to spread the word of the goddess,” Theodora said with a smirk, “if you think about it, Decius is the only heathen near here Amanda has to preach the good word to and pray for.”

“While I’m sure that plenty of time is spent on knees in their meetings, I don’t think it involves prayer,” Justin muttered.

They pushed their way into the village chief’s house, the cool shade a welcome reprieve from the heat of the day.

“Rodric!” Justin called, “Rodric, we need to talk about Decius, he-“

“Silence, you fool!” the village chief snapped. Rodric was older now, he’d been a man grown when they’d first fled into the jungles, but he still managed to quiet even a man like Justin easily.

Justin blinked, taking in the scene before him. Rodric was seated at his table, with the village Priestess Amanda at his side. Before them were two men, one pale and sweating, a festering wound at his side that glowed with magic as the priestess chanted under her breath, the other pale from fear or fright.

“Who are these people?” Theodra asked, leaning her spear against the wall as she looked to her father.

“W-What is this?” Justin asked hesitantly.

Amanda stood up, glancing at the scratch wounds down Theodora’s own side. She was in her late 30s, with a handful of grey through her black waist length hair. Like most of Diana’s priestesses she wore a deer skull, antlers and all, as a ceremonial headdress, along with a long black cloak. a whisper she flicked her hand, and an electric tingle went up her side as the talon wounds sealed themselves shut, the dried blood the only remains of her near demise that morning.

“These men are from Alabaster Cliffs,” Rodric said solemnly, “It has… fallen.

“T-The Empire has struck south of us?” Justin balked, “that’s impossible, they’d have had to come through here to get to there-“

“It’s not the Empire!” Rodric almost shouted, “It’s…”

“He’s the leader of the village’s militia,” Amanda said calmly, “he’d have known by day’s end anyway.”

Rodric sighed, slumping into his chair and waving to the two men. The one who had been healed by Amanda simply stared off into space, but the other hesitantly began to speak.

“I-I was in the Alabaster Cliff’s militia,” he said quietly, “for the last several weeks, we’ve heard rumors of… things, in the jungle, things like the razorlizards, but bigger, and walking upright like men.” Justin was immediately alert, and Theodora joined him in moving to the table and listening the man’s tale.

“Go on,” Amanda said, placing a hand on the stranger’s shoulder and giving him a kind smile.

He sighed, refusing to meet any of their eyes, “they came at night, they had powerful spellcasters… our palisade wall was blasted to pieces before we’d even mustered ourselves… They’re each a head taller than a man, with curved blades and steel armor.”

“How many?” Rodric asked, fighting to keep his voice steady.

The man’s head hung, “Thousands,” he whispered.

Silence filled the room, “T-There must be some mistake,” Justin rasped, “d-did they come at night? It would have been impossible to see how many-“

“They came for Alabaster Cliffs in broad daylight,” the man said in a defeated voice, “their column stretched into the jungle as far as I could see.” He gave them all a sad look, “They are not more than a day away…”

The village was in an uproar, people were loading everything they could into wagons, onto horses, even onto the backs of the massive aurochs. Justin and the other village men stood in a loose perimeter, no more than a few hundred strong and with swords and spears at the ready.

Justin’s face became pained as he saw Theodora approach, a loose plate of armor over her chest and a spear in hand, “Theodora,” he said quietly, “This isn’t… this isn’t the time for this.”

“Are you telling me there isn’t one man in your line who would be worse than I would be with a spear?” she asked defiantly. She gestured down the line for emphasis, almost every man in the village who could hold a weapon was with him, some far too old, or too young to truly be called warriors.

Justin grimaced, “I… I suppose you are right,” he admitted.

A shout caused the pair to whirl around towards the front of the village, one of the warriors was staggering backwards, a black arrow through his breastbone as the first of the creatures emerged from the brush. Theodora felt her heart fall as she sized them up.

They were big, as the man had said, with teeth like a razorclaw’s as they hissed excitedly upon sighting the fleeing humans. With a shout Justin raised his sword, running towards them. The beasts seemed to quiver as one with excitement, tasting the air with their tongues as they poured out of the jungles like scaled ants, eager to taste human flesh.

Theodora shouted with the men, hefting her spear as she ran forward to meet the tide.

Theodora’s heart raced as she scurried through the underbrush, her eyes wild and glancing behind her as she tried to see if she was being followed. The battle had been a massacre, the lizardfolk had swarmed over them, and worst yet they hadn’t even given most of the defenders the mercy of a quick death… She shuddered as she remembered the nets coming out, one flying over Justin and pinning him to the ground with heavy lead weights. He’d thrashed as they’d hauled him up, laughing in their cruel chittering language as they’d tossed his struggling form into a blood soaked wagon buzzing with flies.

T-They’re going to butcher them fresh, she thought wildly, w-we’re no better than cattle to them…

She paused as she heard those hissing, chittering voices. She crouched low, slowly skulking through the brush until she saw the most terrible sight of the day.

It was her father, lashed to a tree while nearly a dozen of the creatures stood around, cruel laughter echoing among them as they conversed in their own hissing tongue. One was readying a knife nearby, and it was as if the world fell away as she realized what would come next.

A pair of strong hands clasped over her mouth, and then over her eyes, forcibly turning her head away.

“Don’t look,” Decius whispered, and from the way he spoke she could tell his own eyes were shut tightly too. There was a final scream of pain, and she knew that it was over. Numbly she let Decius force her through the forest, and when he released her she could see that the Imperial diplomat’s sword dripped black blood, and a pair of clawmarks marred his once darkly handsome face.

“Come on,” he whispered, beckoning her to follow him.

“You got your wish,” she muttered bitterly, “we are destroyed… I hope your emperor is pleased.”

He turned to her, an almost crazed look in his eyes, “Girl, if you think anyone in the Empire wants that-“ He stopped, forcing himself to breathe. “I’m sorry about your father,” he said finally, “come on, the survivors are hiding in some caves not far from here…”

The caves in question were a series of old razorlizard dens that Justin and his men had cleared out when they’d first settled the area. Some small part of her was consoled at seeing that at least a few hundred people had survived, and the priestess, Amanda, stood up excitedly when she approached.

“Theodora!” she exclaimed, hugging her as she rushed forward. She glanced at the imperial, her face neutral, “And Decius… where are your men? I’d have thought you’d have fled-“

“My men died helping yours get as many people out of there as we could,” Decius snapped, “I don’t know what those things are, but clearly these jungles are uninhabitable! We should gather as many of your people as we can and head for the Imperial border. The legions will protect you all, you have my word-“

“Even in the midst of this tragedy you’re pursuing your mission,” Amanda said coolly, “I don’t know whether that’s admirable or not...”

Decius looked around, a sudden tired look on his face, “I…” he sighed, “what other choice is there, at this point? You have my word you’ll all be treated fairly, there are many estates looking for workers-“

“So, our choices are to remain here to die, or go back and slave away on the lands we used to own?” Theodora asked.

“That or be a meal,” Decius said, pressing close to her and making her step back.

“Peace Decius,” Amanda muttered, “This matter is… it doesn’t involve the Empire.”

“Doesn’t involve the Empire?” Decius asked angrily, “Fine then… I shall see you all in the God’s halls, mayhap Diana will allow her followers to visit Typhon’s.”

Decius began walking away, his head held high, “Where are you going?” Amanda shouted.

“To Camford,” he replied, not looking back, “gods willing I’ll be back with a legion to kill every one of those things.” He turned and tipped his bronze helm at them with final smile, “Amanda… it was a wonderful time.” He paused a minute, the smiled, unbuckling his sword belt. Theodora watched as the Imperial tossed his weapon, scabbard, and belt to Amanda. “Do what you can with it,” he called, “By Typhon we will meet again in Paradise.”

With that he turned and walked away, ignoring the calls of the villagers and even Amanda’s own plea. Theodora watched him go, then turned to Amanda with a grim expression. The priestess’s antler helm was broken with only one side intact as she regarded the last member of the Wetsoil Militia.

“What now?” Amanda asked solemnly.

“I…” Theodora sighed, “What would the goddess command?”

“She would command we protect and nurture those charged to us,” Amanda muttered. “I… I don’t know what that means anymore Theodora, the lizards brought their magic against me, and while I chanted everything I’d ever learned… their fireballs cut our men and women down just the same.” She sighed, “We must have faith.”

“Faith?” Theodora asked desperately. “My father is dead, the man I…” she chuckled softly, finally admitting it to herself, “The man I love is their captive, soon to be their meal. What will Diana do now? I need answers from the goddess!”

“Diana does not answer as a servant does,” Amanda said in a cold voice, “she is a goddess.”

“She’s got one final chance to answer me,” Theodora snapped, hefting her spear and walking back towards the swaying wall of trees.

“What do you mean to do?” Amanda called.

“Let the Goddess speak to me about my troubles,” Theodora called, “or forever be silent to me.”

Theodora ventured deep into the jungles, no longer caring if a razorlizard were to take her unawares, at this point it would be a mercy.

“Diana, Goddess,” she muttered, looking up at the darkening sky as the sun set, “If… If you are there, I need you to speak to me now.” She fell to her knees, “I need some kind of sign, some kind of… anything.”

She suddenly felt a hand on her shoulder, “Peace my child,” a soft voice said.

Theodora’s blood ran cold, “D-Diana?” she couldn’t bring herself to turn around and look at the woman.

“Yes,” she whispered, “I saw how you joined the men in battle, how you fought at their side… how my followers were taken by your foes.”

“A-Are you going to smite them?” Theodora asked hopefully, “rain down fire and-“

“I have not come to rend the earth or bring down the heavens,” she said, “but I will deliver your enemies to you… If you have faith.”

“I-I do,” she stammered, “I’m sorry I doubted you my goddess, I-I’ll do anything!”

“I would like to give you my blessing,” Diana said slowly, “but know that it comes at a cost.”

Cost? Theodora blinked tears out of her eyes, trying to steady herself and gather her thoughts, “I don’t understand Goddess…”

Diana walked around her then, letting her gaze upon the towering perfection of the goddess. She had an almost shimmering air about her, immaculately clean and with a body that looked as if it had been carved from granite. She stood twenty feet tall at least, looming among the treebranches with visible muscles beneath a near transparent slip of a robe that fluttered slightly as her bare feet stepped over the mossy ground. She knelt down, taking Theodora’s chin in hand and forcing the girl to look up at her.

“I will give you the power to save your people, to forever protect and guide them… but you will bear no sons, your line shall be daughters forevermore.”

No sons? Theodora gulped nervously; the thought made her uneasy. She’d never imagined herself as a mother, but it was giving up something she hadn’t realized she wanted until now.

“I-I can accept this,” she said slowly.

Diana nodded with an almost sad smile, “you will find strife with men, some will not accept you as you will be. They will see the power I will grant you as oppressive and wicked, and will chafe against it.”

Theodora was quiet, thinking it over, what does she mean by that? She didn’t understand it at all, but she knew they had no choice. If the men live, then that’s good enough, whatever other anger they have at what might happen will be worth it to see them alive.

“Yes goddess,” she nodded, closing her eyes.

“Then rise, Theodora, first of the Amazons.”

Theodora’s eyes shot open, and she gasped, feeling her clothing suddenly grow tight, ripping at the seams as the world seemed to spin. Diana was gone, as though the goddess had never been there at all, but as Theodora looked around the now much smaller clearing in wonder, it was clear what the Goddess had done.

“Stars above,” Theodora blinked, looking down at herself. She’d always been athletic, joining the men on hunts when she could, and doing farm labor with the other women, but her body had changed. She slowly ran a finger over her stomach, marveling at the abdominal muscles that had seemingly popped into being. Her arms were similarly larger, and as she picked up her spear it felt almost like a child’s plaything in her hands.

I’ve got to be fifteen feet tall, she thought wildly, “Ow!” she ran into a treebranch without realizing it, blinking in surprise at how the jungle canopy suddenly seemed so much closer. This will take some getting used to.

The caves were in a state of pandemonium when she returned, and for one terrifying minute she thought the lizardfolk had come for them, but as she ran closer, she realized the truth.

“Theodora!” Amanda called, running, now naked, to the other woman, “S-Something happened, all of the women, we’re all-“

“Bigger,” Theodora said with a smile, “I… I think the goddess has answered our prayers!”

Slowly the panic died down, and the women began to gather around Theodora. Some were as short as eight feet, most stood around ten, but at fifteen feet tall Theodora loomed over them all. Like her every woman had grown, and even the young girls now towered over the village’s men. Everyone was murmuring, trying to make sense of what had happened. Most of the women were naked, their clothing having torn apart when they grew, but some women had thrown blankets over themselves as makeshift robes.

“Silence,” Theodora called, imitating her late father’s authoritative voice as best she could, “listen to me! I beseeched Diana for aid, and she has answered!” That brought a renewed round of hushed whispering, but at Theodora’s steely gaze they quieted again. “We are not the plainsmen anymore; Diana has named us the Amazons.” She grinned, putting her hands on her hips, “our brothers, husbands, and fathers have been captured by foul things which would devour them, the goddess has granted me the power to do something about it, and I intend to! Who will follow me back to Wet Soil?”

The women cheered, and the few men who remained joined in with them. Theodora glanced around, and smiled, seeing Decius’s long broadsword still laying against a rock. She pulled it free from the scabbard, the long weapon just barely good enough to make a long knife for her new form. It was light as a feather to her now, and she chuckled remembering how she’d struggled to swing Justin’s blade.

Justin… she let her thoughts wander to the captured men, Diana please keep him safe until I can rescue him!

The amazon war party numbered several hundred, and they moved easily through the brush. Their weapons were mostly improvised spears, clubs made from tree branches, and the like, their clothing was similarly a mix of blankets, large robes, and even a few tablecloths.

It didn’t take them long to reach the sight of their village, and Theodora felt her bile rise as she saw the smoke. The Lizardfolk themselves had the captured men in large bamboo cages with great wheels, no doubt intending to take them back to whatever pit they called home, and the creatures lounged about almost lazily.

Their army must have split up, Theodora realized, gone after other villages… She tightened her grip on the sword, then with a shout charged from the treeline, behind her hundreds of other amazons followed, thundering forward in a charge that would have put the finest knights to shame.

Justin watched in shock, gripping the bars of his cage as the line of screaming amazons slammed into the lizards like a tidal wave, sweeping them aside. There were harsh serpentine hisses of pain, and within minutes the creatures that had so easily taken their village were fleeing in all directions, throwing down their weapons in terror.

A shadow fell over his face, and he looked up in awe at the grinning face of Theodora, “Impossible,” he whispered, “Theodora, w-what happened to you?”

“It’s a long story,” she chuckled, watching the other women route the last of the enemy. She gripped the bamboo bars of the cage, and with a grunt snapped them apart like matchsticks.

Justin grunted as Theodora’s arms wrapped around him, drawing him out and hugging him to her chest with enough force to make him wheeze. All around them the victorious amazons were tearing the cages and bonds to pieces, freeing the rest of the captured men.

The bonfire roared high, and the amazons and their rescued menfolk danced around it. The dead had been buried, and while the grief would remain, the catharsis of victory had all but demanded some manner of celebration. Theodora sat atop piled cushions and mattresses; Justin tucked against her side almost like a favored cat. Some of the smaller amazons were still capable of fitting inside the houses, but Theodora would be sleeping under the stars for the time being, and a large tent had been erected for her next to her father’s old house.

We’ve lost so many of our men, she thought, watching the survivors dance, and Diana says we will only bear daughters… so many things will have to change. She hugged Justin tighter to her, smirking at how the formerly towering man now felt so small against her.

“We’re going to get married,” she decided.

Justin almost choked on the goblet of wine he’d been drinking, “T-That’s rather sudden!” he stammered.

“Did you have some other girl you fancied?” she teased, ruffling his hair.

“No, I always sort of… expected we would I guess,” Justin said, “but I thought maybe it would be a few years off.”

“I’m the village chieftess now,” she said with a sigh, “a chieftess should be married, don’t you think?” She shifted, rolling over on top of him and playfully pinning him against the piled cushions of her makeshift throne. Justin couldn’t help but stare as her immense hanging breasts loomed over him, each one larger than his head. Theodora had always been beautiful, but now she was possessed of a wild, untamable beauty, he wanted her more now than he ever had.

“Y-Yeah, a village chieftess should be married,” he managed.

“I’m glad you’ve accepted my proposal,” she chuckled. She glanced back to the men, the thrill of victory was combining with the wine and causing appetites to become amorous. The playful flirting had given way to more direct advances, and they watched as one of the now ten-foot-tall women lifted a man up, his legs dangling feebly as she brought him up for a kiss, causing laughter from those around them. “I think I will retire for the evening,” she said.

“Ah,” Justin said, fighting to keep disappointment out of his voice, “I’ll see you- AH!” he cried out in surprise as he was scooped up and tossed over the towering woman’s shoulder like a sack of potatoes. The other amazons noticed, and cheers, catcalls, and wolf whistles broke out as the entire village reacted to the sight of their leader carrying her man back to her tent.

Justin couldn’t help but blush, there was something oddly thrilling in the way that Theodora so easily manhandled him, and the amusement that the other women got out of it. He fought a yelp of surprise as he felt one of Theodora’s hands come up and clench his bottom, squeezing it playfully as she carried him.

Theodora’s tent similarly had piled cushions and blankets in lieu of useable furniture, and he was tossed onto them as the amazon growled lustfully, tossing her makeshift robe away and letting him see her chiseled body. She had a rich almost earthy smell about her, the sweat of a day of battle in the heat of the jungle, mixed with the warm musk of her arousal.

She leapt upon him, a lioness taking wounded prey. Her tongue invaded his mouth, filling it as she roughly kissed him, and her strong hands roamed his body, taking it in even as his own explored her own vast breasts, then tracing around to her back.

She lifted up off of him suddenly, her grinning face just barely visible in the low light, “hold still,” she ordered, climbing up over him. He grunted as her weight pressed down on him slightly, until finally the massive tanned pillars of her powerful legs were on either side of him, letting him look straight up into her moist womanhood. She grinned and ran her fingers slowly through her curled black hairs, playing with herself slowly.

“I’ve heard that men can use their mouth on a woman,” she said, “that’s what you’re going to do!”

Before he could protest she was already lowering herself to his face, and his words were muffled as she ground herself down on his face, letting her wetness soak him and letting the taste of her arousal coat his tongue and fill his nostrils.

She was an unstoppable force of nature as she ground down on him, an avalanche of a woman crushing his skull as she groaned in pleasure from the movements of his tongue against her. A hand came down and gripped his hair, roughly pulling his head upwards and pressing him into her harder.

“Yes!” she cried, “YES!”

The tree trunk thick legs on either side of his head quaked a moment, then she groaned again as she came on his face, the wetness increasing and leaving the normal sized man beneath her completely covered in the silky smell of her powerful orgasm.

“Good job,” she whispered, giggling as she sidled down his body again.

“I-I wanted to please you,” he stammered, panting and sucking in the fresh air.

“You did,” she purred, sitting up again, “and now it’s your turn.” She positioned herself over him, and he gasped as she forced herself down, impaling herself on his erect manhood and driving him to the hilt as she began to ride him.

“Goddess,” he gasped, fighting to keep his thoughts together as she slammed down on him, rolling her hips against his with enough force to send a mix of pain and pleasure shooting up his spine. “A-A little slower?”

“You’re a strong man,” she growled with a wicked grin, “you can take it!” in spite of her taunt she did slow down, though only slightly. A massive hand nearly the size of his torso came down, pinning him in place as the Amazon continued her work, their grunts and gasps filling the air as the powerful woman brought the tides high and swept away his thoughts.

A final series of thrusts downward had him swearing once more, and it was like a dam burst, the flood of pleasure quickly surging over any other sensation as she went tense above him, growling like an animal as she had her second orgasm of the evening at the same time as his first.

Justin had never felt so overwhelmed, so powerless before someone so physically superior. As her muscles roiled in the throes of pleasure, he realized that if she wasn’t careful, she would break him, snap him like a twig…

“Hey,” she said, stroking his cheek as her panting slowed, “tell me how I did?”

He chuckled, his fear vanishing, whatever else she was, this was still Theodora, “majestic,” he replied, “I… I don’t think I can feel my legs.”

“I’m sure the feeling will come back,” Theodora laughed, collapsing next to him on the piled blankets that served as her bed. She slipped her arms around him, hugging him tightly into her massive chest.

Over the next few days the real work began, rebuilding, and reorganizing, almost everything will need to be torn down and rebuilt, Theodora thought, walking through the village with Justin at her side, even the buildings that survived the attack won’t fit us anymore…

Everyone had naturally looked to her for leadership, something that had caused her mixed pride and pangs of grief as she remembered her father. Still, there was little time for mourning, by all accounts there were more lizards out there, a vast army that would need to be driven from their lands.

Theodora scowled as she came across a group of men arguing with a trio of towering Amazons, Amanda was with them, and the priestess turned to her with a sour expression as she approached.

“These men do not feel their assigned duties are appropriate,” Amanda said.

The first of them stepped forward, “she’s asking us to clean and prepare game meat,” he said angrily, “and the priestess here is demanding we all learn how to clean and stitch wounds, it’s woman’s work!”

“It’s work that needs to be done!” Amanda said, exasperated, “yes it was work that was once done mostly by women, but-“

“I am a woodsman,” the man barked, “I hew trees, I should be working on rebuilding the palisade, not-“

“The smallest Amazon can chop four times as many trees in a day of work as you can,” Theodora said sternly, glowering down at him and making him shrink away, “when everything is settled, perhaps we can discuss who will do what, but for now? With the lizards out there? It makes no sense to have you men doing jobs that can be done quicker and faster by us.”

“I…” the man sighed, “I suppose you’re right…”

“Begin preparing a lunch for the workers,” Amanda ordered, “and when you are done with that, I will return to you and we will go over common healing poultices and how to prepare them.” She rolled her eyes at the grumbles, “there is nothing dishonorable about the healing arts, who knows you may find you take to it.” With that she turned to follow Theodora and Justin as they walked through the village.

“It’s going to be so much worse when they realize they won’t be coming with us to strike at the lizard army,” Theodora said softly.

“Wait,” Justin said, stopping, “what do you mean the men won’t be going?”

Amanda and Theodora exchanged looks, “Justin,” she began hesitantly, “you’re a very brave man, and you put yourself between us and the lizards and saved all of our lives… but this is a new type of enemy, one we women were empowered by the goddess to fight.”

“Is there really no one in your ranks who would be worse than me?” he asked with a wry smile.

Theodora scowled, “No, but… this is different!”

Amanda glanced down at him, then shrugged, “It seems we might make an exception for some of the more capable of the men… but if you must join this fight again Justin, stay close to Theodora, for all of our sakes.”

“Where else would I be?” he asked with a grin.

“At home, somewhere safe and secure,” Amanda muttered, “I don’t know if you’ve realized it yet Justin, but our fair village now skews heavily female, and many of the women are beginning to do the math on how many men are available relative to how many Amazons there are… and if it’s true that we can’t bear more sons, it’s a problem that will only get worse as the years go on. We will need to begin exploring ways to get ahold of more men.”

“Get ahold of?” Theodora chuckled, “Amanda, you sound like you’re trading horses.”

“In a manner of speaking I may as well be,” Amanda said darkly. She glanced at Justin and sighed, “I mean no offense to present company, but men are now a valuable resource, one that the Amazons will need in order to continue.”

“Maybe we should just double up on the ones we have?” Theodora said, winking at a suddenly pale Justin.

“I don’t know that I could handle two Amazons,” he joked feebly.

“It’s a possibility we might explore,” Amanda mused, apparently missing the joke.

“I’m certain the goddess will provide us men,” Theodora said, changing the subject, “but the long term is something we can focus on another time. For now we must defeat these lizardfolk that have invaded our lands, we will need real weapons, real training.”

“We don’t have much steel,” Amanda said, “most of our weapons we got in trade… what if we-“]

There were shouts from the front of the village, and Theodora’s heart leapt, fearing the lizards had returned. She and Amanda sprinted to the source of the commotion, Justin following at their heels and struggling to keep up with their vast strides.

“Hello!” Decius called from the seat of a massive wagon, “I’ve returned, I’ve…” the Imperial’s voice faltered as he took in the towering Amazons. “Gods above…” he whispered.

“Decius,” Amanda said, smirking at his surprise, “I thought you’d run home to your own lands?”

“I uh…” he cleared his throat, “I heard rumors on the way here of your… growth, but it’s another thing entirely to see it.”

“What do you want?” Theodora asked, crossing her arms.

The man blinked, “Well… I came to help actually.”

“Help?” Amanda asked, “We know what the cost of the Emperor’s help is, we don’t need or want it now.”

“Damn the emperor,” Decius scowled, “no governor or senator I spoke to cared anything for your plight, I realized if anyone was going to do anything it would have to be me.”

“So you’ve abandoned the Empire?” Amanda asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Well, let’s not get too carried away,” Decius muttered, “but I have sold all of my possessions in order to buy some things I thought would help.” He leapt off the wagon, “take a look!”

Theodora pulled back the wagon cover, and her eyes went wide as she took in the stacks of long steel pikes. She grinned and hefted one out, the weapons were often used for large phalanx fighting formations, but to an amazon they made a fine short spear. Decius gulped as he saw the ten foot long pike, something trained men could barely maneuver with both hands, being casually spun and hefted by the massive woman.

“These are perfect,” she said, grinning down at him.

“Come Decius,” Amanda said, pressing a hand against the man’s back and smiling, “you’ve traveled far, let me take you someplace to rest.”

Theodora watched the man nervously follow Amanda to her own tent, “What do you suppose is going on between those two?” she wondered aloud.

“I think the Imperial has found someone new to kneel before,” Justin said with a chuckle.

“Come on,” she said eagerly, “we need to start training the women in how to use these.”

A week later Theodora led the column of amazons out of the village, Justin at her side. Amanda had given Decius a long kiss as the group marched out, seemingly confirming Justin’s suspicions as the former imperial subject waved them off.

“Are you sure about this?” Justin asked as they got further into the jungle, “our scouts report at least five thousand of them, we number only five hundred.”

“But we are Amazons,” she said with a smile, “they’ve never fought anything like us before.”

The lizard camp was along the side of a great river, and great stockades and pens had been constructed where the weeping and wailing human prisoners were kept. The lizards had evidently raided most of the villages nearby, judging by the thousands of captured people that Theodora could see from their position on the cliff overlooking things.

“What do you think?” Justin asked, wiping his sword against a nearby tree. He’d dispatched one of the lizardfolk scouts as the army advanced, whatever else Theodora’s own outriders and scouts were still mostly men, as they had the most skill in the brush. Justin and the others had cleared the army’s path, and they were within striking distance and the enemy was none the wiser.

“I think we should simply charge them,” she said, “I don’t want them to try to put those people between us and them, but if we pin them against the river?” she grinned, “we’ll cut them to pieces.”

“They have three magic users down there,” Amanda remarked, allowing blue sparks to dance along her own fingers, “I can keep their spells off you for perhaps five minutes once battle is joined, after that I’ll need to protect myself.”

“Five minutes will be plenty,” Theodora said with a grin. She turned to her followers, raising her spear high, “Today my father will be avenged!”

The amazon force was like a thunderstorm on open ground, striking with such ferocity and speed that the lizards barely had time to register them roaring out of the trees before the towering women were among them. Chaos erupted among the lizardfolk, and soon they were throwing their weapons down and fleeing as each amazon cut down scores of them.

Theodora marveled at her own speed, crossing the rocky sand towards the riverfront, and the towering lizards which had once frightened her so were now merely waist high. It was like hewing through weeds as she struck them, and her muscles roared with exertion, but did not tire.

The battle didn’t last more than a quarter of an hour, and by the time the butchery was done the river was the same reddish black color as the lizard’s blood. Theodora panted, looking down at the creatures that had once seemed so large, so fearsome… now cut down like so much wheat before her.

“Goddess above,” Justin whispered, sheathing his sword and glancing around at the carnage. He looked up at her, a mix of awe and a little fear on his face, “The world really has changed for us, hasn’t it?”

“For the better,” Theodora promised.

“The day is won,” Amanda said, slowly walking towards them with a grin, “the prisoners have been freed… the only question is, what now?”

The thousands of prisoners slowly approached her, and the amazons. Men, women, children, young, old, they all looked at the towering women that had delivered them from the cruel fate the creatures had planned.

“W-Who are you?” a man asked, stepping forward.

“Theodora Highgrass, of the amazons,” she said with a nod.

“All hail Queen Theodora!” the man shouted, falling to his knees.

She blinked, “Queen? I’m not-“

“HAIL THE QUEEN!” someone shouted, all but weeping for joy.

“HAIL THE QUEEN!” the chain started, “HAIL THE QUEEN!”

Justin just smirked and looked up at her, “All hail the queen,” he said, joining the others in falling to his knees before her.

Theodora once again sat atop piled cushions, Justin rubbing her feet as she kneaded her temples, “that feels delightful,” she drawled, stretching and almost knocking him over. She’d withdrawn to her private tent to ruminate on the day’s events, all but dragging Justin behind her to the repeated raucous cheers of the other Amazons.

“I live to serve your majesty,” Justin said with a smile.

“Stop calling me that,” she muttered, “I don’t appreciate your jokes!”

“There are no jokes, you are our queen now,” Justin said, “I suppose I’ll be king?”

“Prince-consort,” she remarked with a wink. She leaned her head back, “a Queen then… and I suppose these lands will be my Queendom?”

“The Amazon Queendom,” Justin said, gritting his teeth as he pressed his thumbs into her sole, causing her to sigh happily.

“The Amazon Queendom,” she mused, “I like it… we’ll build a proud and powerful nation here, we’ll bring glory to the Goddess Diana…” She playfully pinched his nose with her toes, smiling at the thought. “We’ll need to expand of course… there are other villages throughout the jungle, we’ll need to bring them all under our protection, discuss fealty… This, the fight with the lizards, rescuing those people, it’s just the beginning.”

She leapt up suddenly, grinning as she hooked her hands under Justin’s armpits, lifting him into the air and bringing him into a forced hug, pressing his face deep between her breasts with a giggle. She’d grown more and more comfortable with handling him like this, and he’d seemingly started longing for the way she would casually overpower him. As if to prove this, he struggled feebly against her, his muscles bulging as she easily held him in place like he was a struggling puppy.

She reached down to his clothing, tearing them away with one quick ripping motion, giggling as she ran her hand up his thigh and letting her fingers trace along his rapidly rising manhood. She let him fall to the cushions, lowering herself down next to him and letting her hand wrap around his impressive member as she pinned him, slowly stroking it.

“A wonderful piece,” she remarked, enjoying the way he writhed beneath her, “I love playing with it…” He tried to rise, but she easily pushed him back down again, giggling at his reaction to her strength. “I’ll have to come up with a suitable ceremonial outfit for my new consort,” she teased, “something that shows off your best attributes.”

He gulped, his vision swimming as she stroked faster and faster, “w-what’s wrong with what I usually wear!?”

“Nothing,” she said with a shrug, “but imagine it, you kneeling before me, wearing something tight and… silk, yes it would be made of silk, you’d wear it and rub my feet while I hold court, what do you think?”

He couldn’t answer, his hips were bucking as his seed was milked out of him by the powerful Amazon, and he was gasping with pleasure as the soft teasing giggle of the massive woman filled his ears.

“I’ll take that as a sign you like my idea,” she giggled, wiping his seed on his chest as she rolled over, flopping down next to him.

Word of the victory over the lizardfolk spread, and soon every village and settlement in the jungle was sending representatives to pledge fealty to the new Queen. The Lizards sent scouting parties into the new realm, but it seemed that, for now, the enemy had been beaten back.

When they come again, we’ll be ready, Theodora thought bitterly, sitting atop her throne. It was made for her, as much of the new furniture in her burgeoning palace was. It had been a barn, once upon a time, but was being slowly refitted into something more. Someday perhaps they’d have time to build a true palace, but for now there were too many other things to be done.

“Something on your mind?” her new husband asked, grinning up at her from his own much smaller throne.

“Just thinking on the future,” she said with a sigh.

The large barn doors creaked open, and Amanda walked forward, Decius behind her. The former Imperial had been staying with the priestess ever since his return, and from the way the two acted around one another Theodora doubted he’d be going back to his homeland anytime soon. Today though he had an almost sheepish look on his face as Amanda approached the throne with a grin.

“My queen,” she said with a smirk, “I’ve come to ask your permission for Decius to marry.”

Theodora blinked, “Well Amanda, I don’t think it’s necessary for me to approve-“

“To marry myself, my cousin Thracia, and another woman we’ve met several villages over who seems delightful.”

Three women?” Theodora balked, “D-Decius, is this er… what you desire?”

“I’ve been convinced,” he said, blushing slightly and looking to Amanda.

“Two Amazons, and one of the little sisters,” Amanda explained.

“Little Sisters?” Theodora inquired.

“Those women who did not receive Diana’s blessing,” Amanda explained, “they can still bear sons, so we will necessarily need to share men with them going forward.”

“Right,” Theodora said, rubbing her temples, “of course…”

It did make sense, but it was still all so strange and new. Many of the things the goddess had told her she hadn’t had time to think about in the moment, but now that things were settling down somewhat, the implications were beginning to become clear. The men were starting to chafe as they were, as a group, slowly forced into roles that required less strength, domestic work and the like, and now the question of how they would propagate long term was looming before her.

“The permission is granted,” Theodora said in a tired voice. “I suppose we’ll all need to share the pool of menfolk.”

“You er… don’t expect me to-“ Justin began, but Theodora smiled and chuckled.

“No,” she said, “call it the privilege of rank, but I won’t be sharing you.”

“If necessary, we could always find other sources of men,” Amanda said with a grin.

“The southern imperial border is not well fortified,” Decius said slowly, “and…” he gulped, “well if necessary you could always acquire some-“

“That I will not condone,” Theodora said harshly.

Amanda merely shrugged, “you are their queen, but our people will look hungrily over our northern border one day, and not all will abide by your rulings.”

“Such is the way of laws,” Theodora said, slumping into her chair, “I can make them, and most will follow them, but we are going to be a nation now, there is no nation that is wholly made of good and goddess fearing people, all we can do is our best.”

While the early history of the Amazon Queendom is wrapped in myth and legend, at least some key details are the same throughout all versions of the tale, as well as archeological evidence in digs outside of the towns of Wet Soil, Rain’s End, and Alabaster Cliffs. What is certain is that these towering women became mankind’s first line of defense against the Lizardfolk empires of the deep jungles, and even those terrifying creatures would know better than to ever set foot in Amazon Country.

  • Excerpt from, “Amazons of the Queendom,” by Imperial Historian Kurt Vinter

Chapter End Notes:

Just a short prequel exploring the Amazons and their backstory. In other news I added a Ko-Fi to my profile page if people feel like rewarding particularly well liked stories lol. Anyways hope your holiday weekend is going well, until next time!