- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Long time reader, first time writer for this site. If you enjoy my content, please leave a review!

I will add warnings per chapter, just in case you want to skip over that type of content.
Author's Chapter Notes:
No warnings for the first chapter, just story building.
“How should we test it?” My friend Hunter asked.


“We should try it on this plant first.” I said as I grabbed his potted fern.


Hunter and I have been studying biochemistry in college for the past three years, one of our goals has been to enhance human growth through chemically engineered hormones. After months of sleepless nights and several failed attempts, I'm almost positive we've found the right mixture.


Hunter took a dropper and carefully drew some of the liquid from our beaker, dispensing it in a water bottle. He shook the bottle; the liquid mixed with the water inside rapidly changing colors from blue to clear. We looked at each other with excitement.


“Would you do the honors?” he asked, handing me the bottle of solution.


I took the water bottle from his hand and began to pour a few drops onto the plant, returning the lid to the bottle afterwards. Hunter and I sat in anticipation for several minutes. After what seemed like forever in silence, the plant began to react. To our horror; instead of growing, it had shrunk an inch.


“Shit!” I exclaimed.


“I thought we finally had it figured out. What went wrong, Jim?”


“I don't know, man.” I replied as I grabbed the clipboard with the formula on it, looking it over.


Knock. Knock. Knock.


A loud knocking is heard from the door, accompanied by a feminine voice. “Hunter! Mom wants you to help carry the pizza in!” That was Sydney, Hunter's younger sister.


Hunter rolled his eyes, “At least something good came from today, want to stick around for food?”


“Yeah, I'm honestly starving, just give me a few minutes to look this over” I said to him. My stomach growled as I thought about the pizza.


As Hunter left the room, I could hear the door open and he exchanged words with Sydney. Even though I wasn't able to make out what they said, it sounded unpleasant. I stared at the formula, looking for any inconsistencies; nothing.


“Hey Jim!” My heart jumped, Sydney had scared me as she normally doesn't enter Hunter's room. As I spun around to greet her, knocking over the water bottle in the process; thankfully the lid was on it.


“Sydney, what are you doing in here? You know Hunter doesn't like you in his room.” I said as I picked up the water bottle, placing it back on the table. I made eye contact with her.


She moved in closer, biting her lip softly. “Are you staying for dinner?” She placed a hand on my chest.


I quickly maneuvered around her, to avoid her flirtatious manner. “Yeah... I'm.. uh.. going to go help Hunter.” I stammered, leaving the room in a hurry.


It's not that I didn't find Sydney attractive, because she truly was – Long blonde hair, C – Cup breasts, cheerleader, and a gorgeous figure as she stood at 5'4; however she was in High School and I was a Junior in College.


Sydney turned around to the plant, huffing at her failed attempt to flirt with me. She grabbed the bottle that was left on the table, “You forgot your water!” she shouted to me. A few second of no reply went by, she rolled her eyes and began to leave the room with the bottle in hand.


Sydney walked into the dining room and set the bottle down on the table. Hunter and I walked in, pizza in hand.


“I'm telling you, we have to bring in Emily.” Hunter said, taking a bite of his pizza. I cringed as I heard him say that name. Emily is my least favorite person in our program at school; not only is she a pretentious narcissist, she's also my ex-girlfriend.


I swallowed my pizza so hard, I'm sure Hunter and Sydney could see it travel down my throat. “No way!” I finished off my soda in between sentences. “She's been trying to steal our formula for weeks now, I refuse to let her ride on our coattails of success.” I took another big bite of pizza.


Sydney proceeded to sit down next to me. She smelled of perfume – Had she been wearing that this whole time or did she just put it on?


“Dude, she's our only chance at figuring out what's missing. We'll get her to help us with the formula and then that's it, nothing else.” Hunter was persistent, I'll give him that.


Sydney inserted herself into our conversation. “Who's Emily?” she inquired.


“She's my ex-girlfriend,” I said. I turned my head back to Hunter, “And she's not someone I want to work with.”


Sydney became invested in the conversation of my relationship status, she moved in closer to me; maybe too close. “Ex? What happened? Does that mean you're not seeing anyone?” It was obvious Sydney liked me, she always dropped hints any time I was over. I tried my best to ignore them, but lately she started coming on too strong.


I didn't really want to delve too much into my past, especially with a high schooler, so I tried to play it off. “We just didn't work out I guess.” Smooth, I thought to myself.


“Didn't work out?” Sydney sounded unconvinced, “There's no way you harbor that much resentment towards someone if you simply 'Didn't work out'”.


I shook my head at her, “Don't worry about it, Sydney. It was a long time ago.”


Sydney stared at me for a moment. “She cheated on you didn't she?” I look away in embarrassment. “Why would anyone cheat on you, Jim? You're perfect.”


I take a big bite of pizza to avoid saying anything. I look to Hunter for help, usually he keeps his sister in check. He looks at me and I know he's received my cry for help.


“Sydney, can you not right now? Besides, Jim, I'm only asking you to work with her for a while, not fuck her.”


This caught me completely off-guard, I immediately began to choke on my food. With food caught in my windpipe I begin to panic. I raised my arms high above my head and Hunter started pounding his hand on my back. I reach for my drink, but it's empty.


Sydney acts fast, grabbing the water bottle she set down on the table and hands it to me. I down it faster than I've ever drank in my life. It tasted funny, but I didn't care; I just wanted to breathe. A few moments passed and my coughing subsided. I glared at Hunter and spoke in what I believe to be the most serious tone I have, “I will not work with Emily. It's either work with her, or work with me.


There was a brief silence. Hunter groaned and threw his head back. “Fine! Let's take a step back and we can try again tomorrow. Maybe a good night sleep is all we need for a revelation.”


I nodded in agreement, “Yeah, let's just wait and get a fresh set of eyes on it tomorrow”. My head suddenly began to ache, I put my hand on my temple.


“Are you okay?” Sydney asked.


“Yeah, I think the lack of oxygen from choking got to me.” I said. I took a glance at my watch, 8:09 pm. “I should probably head home anyways, it's getting late”. I stood up and bumped fists with Hunter as I began to leave.


I made my way through the laundry room to the side door of his house. My vision began to blur. I could see the door, I was maybe 10 feet from it. I tried to call out for help, my throat was dry. Losing my balance, I tried to grab onto something, anything. I leaned against a pink clothes basket that sat on top of the dryer. It fell to the floor and I went with it. I blacked out.
Chapter End Notes:
The next chapter gets into the juicy bits.