- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It is wise to never test a Ruler's patience. No matter how strong you believe yourself to be, they will always be stronger. 

When Cathay took the mantle of Ruler of the Depths she did more than assume some crown. There was more to it involved than simply sitting on some pretty little throne. She became one with the cosmos. Its grand design. A function of the Multiverse, boundless in power, yet limited through certain restrictions. In her mind all things were possible. Just as they had been for the Crimson Bastard Lubaeron. Just as they had been for old Zathas and all-seer Alsanna. 


She could extend her mind to the furthest reaches of existence, or rip the freewill away from lesser beings. She could impose grand power onto those able to take into themselves such might, or take away that which made someone strong. 


She could assume a myriad of flawless forms trillions of times greater than what was natural to her, and with each one could snuff out countless stars between her fingers, or flatten clusters of galaxies in between the gaps of her toes. There were next to no limits as to the power the position of crown bearer granted. 


A shame then that there were so few opportunities which allowed for Cathay, or really any in her position, to exert such levels of power. Instead she was kept restrained through metaphysical bindings. Just as she was now a function of creation, the whole of the cosmos possessed ways to limit the fullest capabilities of those who maintained the infrastructure. While the power the Archfiend could exert was great, far more than those who commonly took the title of Ruler, be they greater like herself or lesser, it was far from what any lord was truly capable of. 


Their capabilities were situational, in a sense. Made manifest depending on the severity of certain issues. While technically they could achieve virtually any feat, only in the most dire of situations, dangers to the manifold in its entirety, could they truly show the might that comes to those of true sovereignty. 


If only just for a moment. To erase whatever threat was present.


And even then such occasions were few and far between, with whole realms of various realities set to rise and fade before anything of the sort could occur.


Cathay supposed her situation could be worse. She had some flexibility in her actions. Enough to keep herself from total tedium. She could still indulge in certain vices. She could use her many vast sizes to blanket whole cities in the shadows of her foot falls, or cut a star in two with a quick snap of her finger. Simple luxuries that didn't really seem all that grand compared to her life before her reign. 


But it was just never enough freedom that Cathay could freely deny her nature as one of the Depths. She's seen first hand what happens to those who deny their nature. Their calling…


For all who brandished a crown and led in creation, this was their standing. No creature was above them in power, though at the same time they were subservient to their inner selves. Their natures as citizens and servants to their respective kingdoms. 


Kings, queens… and prisoners. There was no greater sacrifice one could make, and for her domain, the very same one she's nearly brought to ruin on several occasions Cathay was more than ready to take on such a service. 


Call it her way of making amends with her kingdom.


For many, this was a mantle assumed by one's lone self. No attachments or ties, and as such no weakness was granted. That is what was expected. Nothing to cloud the judgment of the nigh-infinite minds of the almighty. But as always, Cathay did not follow such rules. Though bound in chains she would not bend to old laws. Not when she had yet to set in place her own. She would not govern alone. 


There was her council, of course. The five who chose to stand in refusal against the pretender King. Of the twelve remaining Royals of the Depths, it was they who proved their loyalty in staying the tide that would have ensured Cathay's predecessor's victory. She owed them much. They were valued, greatly, though in truth not nearly as much as the one who stood by the Archfiend's side on her day of ascension. 


Cathay still recalled it well, for it was a comparatively recent event in her unfathomably long life. Several tens of thousands of years prior as it were. On that day within the Depths; when the kingdom ruled by war and rage fell silent, as the strongest amongst them took their seat of power there was one who stood closest to the Archfiend. While the greater expanse of the Deep watched patiently, from whelps to primals, only the Butcher had the privilege of standing besides their Ruler. Their… friend.


Alive and whole, nursed back to health by one whose hands had taken more lives then there were stars in a million night skies. 


Not even Cathay's court had such an honor, allowed only to bow before their at the time newly crowned Queen. 


Gilah held the Archfiend's attention. As well as her fixation. 


It was no secret that the most feared being of the Depths possessed deeper feelings for the slayer of the False King. Feelings that, unfortunately, would not be returned. 


The thought bothered Cathay once. 


The idea that though she could consider Gilah a dear friend, perhaps the only true one she possessed in all of creation, they would never be anything more than that. There was trust between the two, built up over thousands of years of strengthening their relationship, but nothing which catered to more carnal pleasures. 


And perhaps that was for the best. 


Though she was mightier, Cathay would not stoop so low as to force herself upon Gilah. She held too much respect for the Butcher to even think of something so crude, and yet as the centuries passed on there was always the hope that perhaps, in some way, they would look her way. See what could be offered to them. 


Whole slices of realities, endless armies, luxuries reserved only for the most supreme of divine beings. All served on a iridescent platter if they so wished. 


Instead… Cathay was beaten. Outplayed in the game that was love. In time, Gilah found herself the love she needed, in the form of another. From someone infinitely weaker than herself, yet providing strength she might never possess on her own. Her beloved Jason. A human who could hardly be considered a blink in the expanse of eternity, and yet they maintained the legendary Butcher's full affection. They were strong, but not in the manner the Deep cared for. 


Jason was stoic. Brave, but also kind. Perhaps to the point of naivety, but that hardly mattered to Gilah. The two loved each other, that was all she cared for. They… offered something Cathay could have never given. 


At first such a romance was disgusting in the Archfiend's eyes. A smudge on the Butcher's title. An insult; though the truth of the matter was that she was in fact envious of the weak little human. To have succeeded where a tyrant had failed. Cathay believed Gilah deserved better. 


In a sense, she was still right. The Butcher did deserve better. Far more than anything her Ruler would have given. She deserved Jason, and Jason deserved her. 


That… made Cathay happier than she'd like to admit. 


Truly, it did. 


Her old friend deserved happiness, and were it not for that love they found then the Archfiend may never have discovered for herself the affection she had yearned for as well. Her beloved Valerie. Her luminous Star.


Gilah had earned her peace, and in so doing had given Cathay the chance to experience something new as well. Even now she owed the young Mako that. After a lifetime spent fighting, before coming to understand the importance of an existence beyond it, she had earned her rest. 


So it came as no surprise to Cathay when she felt her blood boil at the mere mention of Gilah, and how her very existence could prove a weakness for the Ruler. Even worse, to try and connect the former Butcher with her desire to defend the Earth. It was beyond insulting. To both of their names.


She would not stand for this.


A pressure assaulted the Dreaming City. 


A power so fierce that each primal was forced into a state of submission. Mahoon and Rathmas were made to watch as their bodies crumbled underneath the pressure of Cathay's rage, while Mergo and N'ryad were forced to kneel as their bodies failed to match against their Majesty's soaring might. The one who suffered most, however, was the Plague-Wyrm Noxris whose body quite literally began to melt away; chunks of pale flesh and chitin falling in clumps. 


Each passing moment the sensations of their bodies failing grew more painful. They could feel it, deep within their being. They were being undone, the cells that composed their body, and the alien matter which made up that, was being ripped apart at the seams. 


"My apologies Noxris…" Cathay's voice quivered in rage as the blackened pupils of her fiery eyes narrowed to soul crushing slits. Already, her form had been altered due to previous annoyances. Reverted back into something more natural to the Depths; her sickly, reptilian skin. Now the transformation grew more profound, more violent, as with each passing moment Cathay’s anger manifested in further alterations. "I must have misheard you… pray tell, WHO are you calling WEAK?" 


Though the insult directed at the Archfiend and her closest friend was a thought shared between the council, Noxris held the misfortune of voicing their collective concerns. As such, he also possessed the full force of his Ruler's wrath first. To be torn apart at not just the molecular level, but the conceptual one as well. To be unmade in the absolute, purest definition of the word. An assault that would normally be defended against with gradual ease. Each of the Primal Ones existed before the advent of creation. Conception across the whole of creation. Their very first act was learning how to use such abstract laws to build their very first forms. They knew how to defend themselves against many forms of attack; erasure of their very beings included. Unfortunately for them, Cathay was the greatest of their numbers even before her ascension. Her power and intellect GREATLY outmatched that of her council's. To a point where, rather than needing to overpower them, she only needed to select points within their ephemeral makeup which she could single out. Unravel them from their weakest chains, kill them through that. A difficult task, easier said than. But for one as old as the Archfiend it was certainly manageable. 


And she didn't even need to utilize the strength of her crown's authority to enact such a feat. This… was all her. 


Her form grew larger, surpassing Mergo’s as the human clothing which adorned the Ruler’s body burned away or tore in response to trying to contain her size. 


"Who are YOU to call ME weak? Who are YOU to think of Gilah as a WEAKNESS!? Or are you, ALL OF YOU, so quick to forget who it was that delivered us from the incompetence and wrath of Uxaes!?"


Cathay's hands tightened into fists, her wings unfurled, the minor motions of both serving as precursors to greater strain placed upon each of the Primal's physical forms. Though Noxris was the first to be torn at the seams, the rest were not exempt from such level of punishment. They could feel their bones, their flesh, their very sense of selves being unmade. 


Reduced to nothing. 


Damn the fact that Valerie might be witness to such potent horror, such insulting words would not be allowed to stand. 


"Did you also forget who it was that killed a Ruler despite bearing no crown?" The Archfiend asked as her human self melted away, allowing a much larger image to overtook those landbound Primordials. The thin veil that was reality began to break, cracking before the ever growing pressure that was the anger of a Ruler scorned. Like miniscule breaks across glass, they collided, combined, and grew across the air itself like streaks of lightning, cutting into structure and body with equal; terrifying precision. 


Cathay's form continued to grow, until it was large enough to overshadow the ancient statue that was Lubaeron’s preserved body. 


Though still much smaller than the likes of Mahoon, increasing her scale to such an extent was unneeded. Cathay needed only to impart this message, this lesson, into those who served her. Already she overshadowed Noxris, N'ryad, and even Rathmas. Any more and they'd likely miss what it was she had to say in favor of remaining awestruck. 


No longer did the Archfiend resemble her mundane, human guise. Now she took on a form more familiar to her ilk. The very same form which the Ruler of this Dreaming City had seen, shortly before his demise; garbs and all. Cathay gestured to the body of the once mighty king of the city of dreams, the simple movement of her hand proving strong enough to force forward a destructive gust of wind. 


"Lubaeron thought to insult me too. They believed me weak enough to bend the knee. To become subservient to them and their illusions of grandeur.” 


Cathay's tone of voice proved even greater than that of the Sunderer's, threatening to upend the location of this gathering. As she spoke the ruins shook, as did the Primordials which observed on in patience and worry. 


“Only ONE Being in the Multiverse and beyond has that honor, that privilege, and by no means was it him. Or any of you for that matter. So I want you to tell me, my Brothers and Sisters, are you all just as foolish as the Crimson Bastard? Are your tongues so loose that you're willing to risk your heads in insulting me?" 


Cathay’s gaze was indomitable. All encompassing. Though she was far from the largest of the Primals present, through her eyes, forced under the weight of her power, she seemed akin to an ancient sun standing before five little embers. Meager flames that could not hold a candle to the inferno that was her own existence. 


The sensation of pain scorched each and every one of the Primordials' cells, their normally unmoving forms faltering before Cathay's superior power. Of course none of them could answer her question given the oppressive force they were experiencing, though this was hardly cared for. The Archfiend knew they couldn't respond, and yet continued all the same.


"What's the matter? Nothing to say now?" No arguments in your defense?" Noxris fell flat on his chest, his limbs unable to support his weight and struggle against his Queen's wrath at the same time. In such a state of vulnerability, he could only hope that Cathay would not use this chance to do away with him. End his life, under hand or foot. Crush him as though he were some… lesser creature. An insult of her own to balance out what was said.


"I wonder… will this prove a substantial demonstration of why, sometimes, you should know when to keep certain fucking things to yourself?" 


Though the Plague-Wyrm was the first to fall, the rest weren't far behind. Cathay spared none of them any mercy. 


Rathmas's own tendrils were forcing themselves around his body, crushing the life out of him. 


The green glow which radiated across Mahoon's planetary frame began to fade rapidly, his life quickly depleting as felt himself fall apart. 


N'ryad and her pet clutched at their heads, clearly in pain, the air around them beginning to shimmer and fall. Like shattered glass, the Primal's mind was breaking more than it already has, forced to the brink because of the Archfiend; left with only madness as the sole escape. 


Only Mergo stood steadfast against the torment. If anything, she even seemed to enjoy such trauma. She clutched at her cheeks as she keeled over, caught between a growing sensation of both pain and pleasure. The Macabre Mother dug her nails into the flesh beneath her eyes, her lids growing wider as time passed on. She was caught between trauma and ecstasy, and wished for neither to end. 


Regardless of whether the punishment was enjoyed or not, all within the court were aware of the fact that Cathay could kill them all here and now if she so wished. It was within her power to eradicate those she deemed an issue to her kingdom. Or an annoyance.


They continued to live only because Cathay allowed it. 


And they would continue to do so, in service to her only, as nothing would be gained were she to kill her advisors. Anger aside, erasing her court would just mean more work for herself. An ending best avoided as certain duties might pull Cathay away from her management of the Depths, as well as her coveted love life. 


In an act of mercy, the Archfiend released her grip on her council, allowing them the much needed chance to reconstitute their failing forms. As assuming a physical form from formless nothing was among their first acts of sentience, repairing their ruined selves should be simple. 


Each of them suffered from such terrible influence, save for Mergo who had a ridiculous smile across her face. If Cathay didn't know any better she'd say that the Unholy Mayron even enjoyed her punishment.


She had half a mind to start again in teaching the five a lesson for Mergo's single, simple smile. Wrath incurred should not be met with pleasure… unless that’s the original intention, of course. 


Ultimately Cathay decided against such actions. As is, she already felt as though she were steering off course, and with the power she demonstrated she felt as though her message was clear. 


In a flash, Cathay returned to her station on top of Lubaeron’s palm, her form unchanged and beside a still ecstatic Mergo. "One warning, that is all I'm giving you!" Her voice was strong despite her now smaller size, no doubt carried further through her power. Though once again shorter than the Macabre Mother, she was still mighty enough that her voice reached out far beyond the domain that was this fallen Kingdom and into the cosmos; to any and all Depthborn capable of hearing her. "Heed-these-words and heed them well. Watch your tone with the Butcher, and tread carefully with ME!” 


Every word spoken was like nails on the Primals' ears, and each time the decibels with which Cathay spoke only grew louder and louder. Eventually, the only thing her court could hear was her voice. “The Earth will be defended. You will feed only on its enemies. You will have your fill, and when you are done you will sleep again. This is my command and I will suffer NO disobedience. Is that understood?"


Of the five, only four lowered their heads in acknowledgement. Not a word was said as they did. They each knew better than to argue. They understood what was expected of them. 


“You… are heard…” Mahoon assured from up above. 


A surprise, even to Cathay, as it was not often the Voidbane spoke. They chose only to do so when a situation commanded it, and even then it was normally one word let alone three uttered. This showed the Archfiend that what she has said, her warning and command, was taken seriously In the lightless sky their celestial body stood out in the darkness, the green hue radiating off of them giving the appearance of some otherworldly star. Where once it was weak, slowly the glow began to shine brightly again. They were regaining their strength, as were the rest of the Primals. 


As expected, it didn’t take much time at all.


Noxris, for understandable reasons, possessed the hardest time in regaining their body. They were made to suffer the most of their Queen’s wrath, and as such their physical form was nearly ruined in its entirety. To a point where they were close to a point of needing to assume a whole new one completely. It was taking considerable effort to undo the damage Cahtay had inflicted on them, and even then some wounds may not mend at all. “My ap-apolgies… my Rul-er…” The Plague-Wyrm would not dare speak with their mind. Even if their jaw and vocal chords had been nearly reduced to mush, forcing each gluttoral word to be spoken with in extreme pain, they would speak with their own tongue. Their own voice. “I spo-spoke out of tu-tu-turn… It will not happen ag-gain…”


A sentiment shared with all among the council. 


Her anger fading, the Archfiend smiled. “See to it that it doesn’t.” 


It would be a shame if she had to find replacements for her advisors.


Compared to those who preceded her, Cathay’s reign in the Deep was still young. Despite her advanced age she has only sat upon the throne for a time not nearly as long as the length in which she’s known Gilah. FAR less time than her predecessors respective reigns; that is including the Elder which she directly succeeded. 


In a fair many ways, she was still learning the qualities it took to lead a kingdom as defiant as her own, and the Primals in turn were still coming to understand her rule. They needed to tread with her as they would a sovereign of creation. Carefully, and with the utmost of respect. The power she had demonstrated now was a step towards that direction. While some kingdoms preferred diplomacy and politics, the Depths relied solely on strength to have one's words heard. This way it became clear as to who was in charge. 


That said, there were always those who remained defiant even in the face of superior strength. And of course that one defiant soul would be the one who seemed to gain the most pleasure from her torment. 


"Ah, there it is… that legendary temper of yours~." Mergo looked on with glee. As always, she was the only one to try her hand at testing Her Majesty's patience further; no doubt against the better wishes of her peers. The office of crown bearer didn't concern her one wit, and though by no means strong enough to face off against Cathay, alone or with others, the Unholy Mother would not be so easily silenced. 


“I was worried that your time with supreme power had dulled your old temperament, forcing a once malicious mind towards monotony. How tantalizing to see that I wa-” 


Unfortunately, Mergo wasn't even given the chance to speak further as, in swift retaliation, the Primordial quickly found her lower jaw… gone. 


Shattered in a fine black mist. 


The strike was sudden, unfelt and barely registered. As realization of what had occurred dawned on the Macabre Mother, she found her cheeks growing hotter. Raising a hand to them, her eyes traced upward to Cathay’s black bloodstained backhand. 


What was once confusion had been replaced by infatuation. The Unholy Matron’s upper lips curled upward as best as they could with only half her head remaining. A short lived issue, as before long new bone grew fast and took the place of where Mergo's lower jaw had been. It was followed by regrown flesh shortly after, and through terrible crunching coupled with the sounds of mashed flesh, Mergo’s mouth had been restored; in no time at all it would seem. There was nary a blemish to be seen on her beautiful form. 


Even more stunningly, Mergo was in no way displeased with her Mistress's crude actions. If anything she was overjoyed by them 


"Just as fiery as ever, my Queen. Your strength may have earned you your throne, but that temper of yours is what earned you your reputation. A wonderful way to remind the cosmos what happens to those who cross you~.”


Mergo’s smile grew wider, practically mad in disposition. Her already red eyes shined brighter as she licked her lips. “No one would dare anger a crown killer, and of those who hold the title, who among them is as feared as you?” 


“That in mind, if you wished for harm to befall me then I would have gladly plucked out my own eyes. Perhaps my tongue, my teeth, or even the nails of my fingers~?” 


Disgusted, the Archfiend turned away. 


There it was, the underlying personality hidden beneath the guise of a ‘caring mother’. Mergo's 'true self'. A sycophant that had grown strong from pain; regardless of whether it was inflicted upon herself or others. So much so that now that which was once burdening was viewed as pleasurable. A gift in many instances.


She thrived off of it, so much so that she was willing to let her Lost Lambs suffer as a form of service. To Her. The greater pain Mergo's sheep endured, the more they were able to feed her.


Those of her brood were nothing more than subjects in a tithe system, where the greatest sufferer earned their mother's gaze. It was sickening… if not ingenious. 


Mergo rewrote her followers. Altered their natures, shaped them into something that yearned for pain, much like herself. Flayed, bloodied, and beaten, the more they craved the more they'd be able to offer her, until nothing remained besides an undying desire for all things harmful to the flesh. A constant supply of worshippers who relished in pain, yet were unbothered by it. It was no wonder the Macabre Mother worried even her peers.


"I have no need for your disgusting flesh," Cathay expressed rather crudely. All this earned her was a stifled moan from the unholy figure. The Archfiend grit her teeth in greater revulsion. "All I want, all I need, is your compliance. Temporarily. Just long enough for every other kingdom to know that Earth is off limits to them." 


As far as Cathay was concerned now, the little planet of apes was her territory. Her property so to speak. She would not settle for anything threatening that which belonged to her. Even less so than she would allow for disobedience in her court. 


On this matter she would hear of no compromise. Everyone knew it, and as such was forced to obey.


Nothing more would be said. Mergo slowly but surely managed to get ahold of herself, seeing that her Majesty would not indulge her more carnal desires further. A pity, but one that could not be avoided. Cathay was here strictly on business after all, and though there was a brief hiccup in her intentions behind this meeting the message was still clear. She needed the aid of her kin to ensure some little world’s safety. Do what she cannot, free of the chains that she possessed. A simple task really. One that would not cost the Primal’s anything. They even served to gain from this development, should they find substantial prey. Nothing of what was asked of them proved a detriment to their well-being beyond stifling their slumber. Even then they’d still be able to return to that in time. 


The Primordials were silent once more, still mulling over what was commanded of them no doubt. It was Mergo again once more who broke the silence. “Well, I for one look forward to adding to my flock. New children in search of a mother. Lost little souls who need a new purpose in their meek little lives. This is an opportunity that should not be squandered. Not by myself, or by you all, my Kin.”


Steadily, the remainder were roused from their inner thoughts. Intrigue once more was felt across their collective minds. Despite the punishment they were forced to endure, in their minds all because of the young Butcher Gilah, it did not weigh on their final decision. The call to arms, the chance to bleed kingdoms once more. Mergo was right, all of this was too good an opportunity to pass up, allowing the eldest to exercise their old bones again.


Their instincts played the greatest hand in bringing forward their resolve.  


The first to fall to Cathay’s might, Noxris served as the first to fly into his newfound duties. “Oh what joy to flood the Manifold with fear once more! To remind creation of its true apex! Do not worry my Master, your words have been heard! Rest assured, this Dragon shall make Totality bleed again!” 


Their wings stretched outward, Noxris took to the skies as cobalt flames engulfed their body, breaking them apart. It carried them to wider unknowns across creation, points of interest that might serve his Lady's goals.


Rathmas groaned in annoyance and followed shortly after, not keen on allowing their old rival the chance to get ahead of them in fulfilling their Ruler’s commands. “Never leave a wyrm to do a Ravager’s job.” The old one turned to Cathay, bowing in respect. Not of just her power, but her presence as well. She had placed a strong leash on each of the five, reminding them of their place. That alone was commendable in their eyes. “My Queen, it has been a pleasure.” 


They departed as well, burrowing into the earth that was the Ruined City of dreams. One by one the Primal’s left for different parts of the cosmos, leaving even without their Ruler’s permission. Cathay took it both as a minor insult and a means of distancing themselves from further ire, as even after having faced her wrath they still did as they pleased regardless of her saying so. 


Mahoon left in an emerald flash of light to locales disclosed, and not long after N’ryad was whisked away by her pet; her escort and aid. That left only Mergo remaining, and all they wished to do was stand in silence, watching as their kin departed.


“I wish them all luck in their respective journeys.” The Macabre Mother admitted. “Though we are all ancient beyond measure, the tapestry changes even as we sleep. We tend to forget this. I wonder if they’ll find prey worthy of their tastes in this age. Perhaps prey stronger than themselves. Wouldn't that be a delight?"


The chance to evolve once more from worthy prey. A privilege many a Primal no doubt misses. 


Regardless of whatever prey was found, they needed only to stem the tide of possible challengers. Forces that were not of Cathay's design. All she wanted was for their duties to be carried out. How their tasks were carried out didn’t matter, so long as they were executed. 


“Of course, not every detail of your plans were shared I imagine. As is your prerogative, as well as your nature as a spinner of schemes. Nothing is ever mentioned in full.” Mergo continued. “Not even your court is aware of whatever full intentions you may have. Though the less we know, the better, as they say. That said…"


Mergo’s eyes narrowed as she peered into the void above, the darkness which had been summoned by Cathay slowly fading to reveal the lifeless sky of the Dreaming City. She couldn’t help but wonder what more there was to her Mistress's commands. "You've never been one to defend a world. Ever the annihilator, not much of a cultivator. I of course mean no offense when I say, in matters of preservation you lack certain qualities. So with that in mind, I can only imagine you've already held council with others beforehand~."


"Perhaps one as intelligent as yourself. Or maybe even more so? Someone… versed in these matters bordering order and control?


Cathay’s blood ran cold. The Unholy Matron was analyzing the situation. 


Quite efficiently at that. 


Trying to dissect Cathay's true intentions. Quickly, she was able to single out the possibility of the Ruler working alongside another.


They had been aided by Ordegash, Sole Order of the Depths, and who as far as the other Primals were aware was still locked away in the darkest caverns of the Deep. There was no telling how long their involvement could be kept a secret, nor how long it would take for Mergo to figure all this out. 


"Careful Matron…" Cathay warned. "Remember well what Noxris experienced, and what I had said about leaving well enough alone. Pain may not be something which deters you but I promise, peer further and I will find your limit." 


Mergo could feel the pressure rising again, and even with their back turned to her she could feel her Ruler's indomitable gaze on her. It was enough to heat her up once more, though she would need to save such feelings for another time. She had a duty to uphold, as well as a flock to tend to and expand. There were many who needed her 'guidance'.


"Of course I meant nothing of what I said, my Ruler!" Mergo did what she could to save face, waving off her words as nothing more than that. Simple words. Jests to be shared. "Think of what I said as the inquisitive thoughts of a mind too old for its good. Your company is your own, and I certainly am not someone to judge you for those you keep at your side."


Mergo's body and attire began to soften, her forming melding into the stone-like flesh of Lubaeron’s palm. "We the Five live to serve, after all. Our own reservations for certain tasks aside, we can guarantee a job well done. You may rest easy knowing we shall fulfill our duties." Her body was pulled away, carried to whatever hellscape she dragged herself away from. Back to those many souls who were now dependent on her attention. And not a moment too soon, as Cathay herself still had loose ends to deal with. 


"Though one final thing, Lord Cathay…" Mergo's departure halted, leaving herself half composed of her own flesh and that of the dead Ruler’s. "Whoever, or whatever, the company you've chosen to keep close is, I pray you show them the mercy you granted us. It is only fair after all, as I'm certain they've only done as asked."


That alone was enough for the Archfiend to know Mergo understood more than she let on. She knew they had help, though a quick scan through their mind showed they didn't know of Ordegash's involvement. There was suspicion, of course, as there was only one being of true order in the Deep. But nothing solid as of yet, and even were a clearer picture to be presented they had little intention of using this against their Queen. 


A relief to be sure, though Cathay couldn’t help but wonder about the Unholy Matron’s goals. 


Thankfully, such intentions wouldn’t be pressed further. Not Cathay’s nor Mergo’s. She had missed a few marks in her analysis, and though the Macabre Mother was certainly on the right path in deducing the company Cathay kept, whether mercy would be shown or not… was still a matter of debate. 


The Archfiend chuckled, already narrowing down where a certain pale skinned slug’s presence was last felt.


"I only promise to try."


***


Valerie worked quickly, making doubly sure that everything in her bedroom was in order. She made sure the bed was made, the floor was properly clean, and that she was well dressed. Anything and everything to ensure Cathay would be put into the best of moods upon her arrival. 


She took a risk. An astronomically large and admittedly idiotic risk, but it remained one she didn't regret a single bit. For the first time in hers and the Archfiend's relationship she saw first hand what it was her girlfriend did. The kingdom and subjects she lorded over. It was admittedly terrifying, the scale of such beings. She couldn't even be considered an insect to creatures so powerful, and yet she dated the strongest among them. Perhaps one of, if not the, most powerful beings in the Multiverse.


The Multiverse… that alone was a prospect which boggled the human's mind. Not something that necessarily broke her, and in fact she was taking it in rather decent strides. It was just something which she needed time to wrap her head around. 


Time which she might not be afforded as last she saw, Cathay was returning home. This home of hers, here on Earth. If only Ordegash had given Valerie a warning before leaving for their apparent safety. An indicator of when the Archfiend's meeting would end. Valerie knew they had that sort of information. They were borderline all-knowing. Instead, the eldest Armitage was panicking. Waiting for her lover as she paced back and forth, having already hidden the Pale God's 'gift' from sight. 


Or at least that was the hope…


"Maybe I should have done better than to hide it under the bed…" Valerie wondered aloud. Glancing to the mattress frame, she thought of reaching under and just kicking the present further away. Out of sight, out of mind. The same logic should apply for a reshaped Tablet of Ruin. A slab of stone, metaphysically reformed into a book of spells so abstract, so alien, Valerie had trouble speaking most of what she saw. 


They were not made to be spoken by human tongues, so she was glad Ordegash provided her with the spell to observe a meeting between Primals. Or at least she was at that moment. Now… well… her panic and worry were still rising even after she had hidden away the blasted spellbook. 


"No… no, it's fine. It's fine, it's fine, it's fine." Valerie continued to calm herself. "It's safe under the bed, and Ordy said Cath wouldn't be able to see that it was me watching her. I have nothing to worry about…" 


She steadied her breathing, focusing only on what she saw of the meeting. Keep Cathay's intentions in mind, her desire to keep her home safe. Noble. That's what she needed to focus on. "Calm yourself Val. Everything is going to be okay. Cathay won't be mad…"


"Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that." The Archfiend chimed in from atop the bedroom mattress, sitting cross legged as she watched her girlfriend try to get a hold of her fleeting thoughts. "It's actually safe to say I'm rightfully pissed." 


Valerie fell to the floor in a fright, taken by surprise over Cathay's sudden reappearance. "When did you get here!?!" 


"Few seconds ago," the Ruler admitted as she leaned forward, reaching underneath the bed frame. Fishing for the spellbook Valerie thought was safely hidden away. "Just long enough for you to tell me what I needed to know." It wasn't long before Cathay found the wretched tome. A horrible, skin bound book that held the deepest of secrets. Nonchalantly, she began to flip through the pages. 


"I swear, it's almost as if you've forgotten there's no destination closed off to me." She quickly found the spell which had allowed the viewing of her meant-to-be secret meeting. An incantation that turns the pages of the book itself into a type of scry. A window into other planes of existence. "Nor are there any secrets kept from me... With a thought I could go anywhere. Learn anything. Or did you think, for even a brief moment, that I was of the same level of mediocrity as an average ape?"


Cathay's form was unchanged in everything but size, and even that was a few feet larger than the height of her human disguise. An amazon in stature, nearly eight feet tall, only kept from having her head strike the roof of the apartment by sitting on top of the bed. Her refined attire, paired with the skin and eyes of one born of the Deep brought back old memories for the Human. A goddess that sent shivers down the Armitage's spine… though for perhaps all the wrong reasons.


The first time the two met was at the Ravencroft pier, where Cathay threatened to crush Valerie underfoot. She was searching for Jason and Gilah, they both were, but instead found each other first. The sensation of complete powerlessness back then, the inability to breathe without being allowed; it was all here in full force once again. 


And just as before… Valerie was into it. Even if Cathay wasn't smiling, or was even thinking of having her lover develop such thoughts at this crucial moment, it was still happening. But there was a time and place for everything, and right now was perhaps the worst possible place to think of anything lewd. 


Even if Cathay's more godly form was hitting all the right buttons with Valerie. 


"Cathay, look, I know you're angry but please let me explain…"


The Ruler traced a finger across her mouth, and in an instant Valerie soon found herself unable to speak. She was not in any pain, nor was she suffering the same punishment as the Primals. Her voice was just gone. Taken from her until Cathay decided she had earned it back. 


"Not. A. Word." The Ruler demanded. "I don't want any excuses. All I want is to know what you and Ordegash heard. What was it that was SO important that you'd be willing to eavesdrop on me?" 


Valerie's response was immediate as she hastily shook her head back and forth. She knew what would happen if she chickened out. While Cathay might never hurt her, there was no telling what she'd do to Ordegash. She wasn't going to rat out the Primordial, even if this situation was more or less because of them. 


Cathay sighed. Her expression was unchanged, and as the Ruler rested her spellbook at her side, with a snap of her fingers Valerie found herself on her hands and knees. 


"You think you're safe because we're dating, don't you?" Cathay questioned. Though Valerie couldn't speak, her expression alone was all the answer that was needed. The Archfiend chuckled as she gestured her beloved move forward. They did so without any form of resistance. Catching Valerie off guard,Cathay rested a single bare foot on their shoulder. "Just because I can't fuck with your mind doesn't mean that body of yours is safe. There's still plenty I can do to make you talk."


"When I want you to, of course~."


The weight of the Ruler's foot steadily increased as Valerie found her clothes becoming looser. The world was gradually rising around her, getting further and further away. 


"Take for instance, changing that size of yours to something more easily intimidated. The scale of a child, or even an ant perhaps." Cathay's lips curled into a twisted, toothy grin. "Though I can't promise I'll hold back if it's the latter."


Valerie's mind was working in overdrive. Everything was moving so fast, and as her lover's foot only continued to get heavier she wasn't sure of what exactly she could do to spare Ordegash of his master's wrath. Worst still, even in this precarious situation, Valerie found her heart racing at an extreme pace. She was enjoying this. Far more than she had any right to. Though Cathay was often the sub to Valerie's dom, the Archfiend knew how to reverse the roles WELL it would seem. Some of the energy she had used in disciplining her court was still in deep effect, and it was absolutely working for Valerie. That said, she couldn't give in to any growing temptations; even if she really wanted to. 


Valerie needed to find a way out of this dire predicament. 


Despite her smaller size, she needed to remind Cathay of their dynamic. Show them who was still in charge of this relationship of theirs. So, perhaps in a moment of madness, Valerie did the only thing she could think of. 


Shameful to admit, with some carnal temptations in mind, Valerie positioned herself until her face was just beneath Cathay's foot… and bit the soft skin of her cold sole. 


The Ruler grimaced. Her eyes twitched, her smile sunk. "What do you think you're doing?"


Their tone was anything but pleased. Taken off guard at first, the Ruler composed herself fast. Again, Valerie bit into the sole of Cathay's foot, taking an extra step to slide her tongue across the soft flesh. Once more, the Ruler shifted in her seat. This time however, her apparent discomfort was followed by a sultry, barely contained moan. She caught it as quickly as she could, coughing to hide her brief break in composure.


"Stop it."


That one was even less pleased than before, but Valerie heard what she heard. Cathay tried to pull her foot away only to find that her beloved human was unwilling to let go. Though smaller, her strength was just enough to allow her the chance of latching onto the Tyrant's leg. Like before, she bit the sole of and toes of the Archfiend's feet before running her tongue up the length of their leg. 


"You… you're…" Though Cathay was trying her damndest to keep her composure, Valerie was skilled. Extremely skilled in the art of carnal desires. So much so that the Archfiend was finding her mind turning foggy from the continued, lustful assault. "You're really… misjudging the situation here…"


She was meant to be interrogating the human, learn what Ordegash had schemed behind her back; not fall for their tricks again. Just as when they had first met, Valerie was quick to take control over a situation. Though the methods now we're far different from back then, they were still immensely effective.


What was more, it did not help that all this felt too good. 


"Fucking… Valerie please, for just a moment hear what I have to say… and…" It was no use. Cathay's mind was just getting clouded. Whatever anger she felt previously was expertly being washed away. And here the cosmos thought the Archfiend was meant to be the feared one. Oh how little it truly knew. "And… and… aaaghn…"


She wasn't even going to try and hide her enjoyment of the sensations. 


"Fu… fuck it…" If Valerie was going to play this game then who was Cathay to deny her? "Co…ahhn… con… tinue… please… just like that… carry on as you are…"


The Ruler leaned back into the bed, presenting herself in her full divine, submissive glory, allowing her much smaller partner to have their way with her. Just as they've done on many nights prior.


A feast only for her dear Valerie. 


Or at least that was Cathay's hope. In actuality, the Archfiend had played right into her lover's hand. Valerie had continued to shrink down considerably. To a point where she slipped right out of her clothes. She couldn't have been more than a few feet tall. When compared to Cathay's eight she certainly had her work cut out for her. 


And still she found that her diminishment did not stop. Not until Cathay decided enough was enough, and given her look of pleasure right now, fixing her error was the last thing on her mind.


 It didn't matter. Whether she was four feet or four inches, and regardless of if Cathay was eight feet tall or eight thousand, the eldest Armitage still had the all-powerful Ruler in the palm of her hand. 


She wondered what their council might think if they saw their Queen in such a vulnerable state. 


Of course this singular state of waiting was all Cathay was getting, as the moment Valerie hit the three feet threshold she turned her back towards the oversized foot she had previously pampered. It was remarkably heavy, and quite nearly the size of the human's whole torso. It took some steel will to turn away from such a soft, black tipped, immaculate extremity; Especially after Valerie had practically made out with it. 


But she needed to power through this. Valerie had a point to make, and as soon as Cathay realized her patience would go unrewarded did she understand something more was up. Positioning herself slightly upright, she saw Valerie turned away, sitting in a pile of her clothes with arms crossed. 


"Oh, so that's how it's going to be then? A brief bit of heaven before you start with the silent treatment?" 


Well it wasn't as though Valerie had a choice in not speaking, but it worked towards her goal. Silver linings and all that. 


The Archfiend positioned her foot just behind their human's back, lightly massaging her oversized toes against their back. All the while, Valerie continued to grow smaller, fully aware that Cathay could stop this if she wanted to. "Come on now, no need to be a child. Tell you this, if you keep going I might even forgive you~."


Valerie turned her head, glancing at Cathay from the corner of her eyes. Though she could not say anything, her glare explained all the Ruler needed to know. "You're wondering if I'll extend that mercy to Ordegash, aren't you? Well I won't. They know what they did and how I'd react. They did this fully aware of the consequences. 


Catching Valerie off guard, she found her continued diminishment sped up greatly. Up until the point where she was small enough that Cathay could easily clutch their body in between her toes. She was raised into the air, and struggled the whole time she was in her lover's grasp. All that served to accomplish was earning a soft chuckle from the surprisingly assertive Tyrant. 


With expert skill, Cathay positioned Valerie's body around just enough so that she could face the smiling Queen. There wasn't a single moment where the human found herself in pain. The Archfiend knew what she was doing, whether it be using her powers or her body. Valerie was at her complete mercy, and for once she relished in this. 


"If I'm to be honest, I'm surprised you care so much for that Pale Slug. I know you to be a kind soul Valerie, but truly what did Ordegash do to earn such… loyalty?" 


Cathay motioned her foot in circles, taking her lover for a ride in-between mammoth sized toes. The world spun as the human found herself played with. Treated like some toy, though she knew the Archfiend never viewed her as such. 


"Does it really matter what I do to the Sole Order? You owe them nothing more than a window into matters that didn't even concern you. Really, it's their fault you're even in this position right now."


"Not that I'm complaining…" crunching her toes, Cathay elicited a small and pleasurable pop from her dear human. What might seem concerning at first was revealed to be salubrious, as Valerie's arms slumped. Her whole body relaxed from that one quick pop of any innermost imperfections. Like a second long massage. "This reversal of roles is rather intoxicating~." 


Whether this was Cathay's attempt at regaining control of the situation, or a growing desire to see what it was like to be the dominant one, Valerie couldn't say for certain. Though her mind was taken for a spin from the sudden dosage of euphoria, she knew that she needed to remain unwilling in giving Cathay what she wanted.  


With a hard to manage huff, the human turned her head away, ignoring her nigh-omnipotent girlfriend. 


She was refusing to play along, and in doing so only served to aggravate Cathay and dash her wishes. Anyone else would have suffered grievous repercussions if they even thought of opposing her, yet Valerie had the luxury of being perhaps one of the rare few, if not the only one, capable of getting away with such risks. 


The Archfiend had no way of knowing what was going through the human's head, and due to stealing their voice they certainly couldn't really read Valerie's lips to learn of what troubled the human so much. Their refusal to continue on with previous pleasures was perhaps the most annoying aspect of Valerie's little rebellion. They'd be heading nowhere so long as this continued. 


So, fully aware of the verbal lashing she was bound to receive, Cathay returned her Girlfriend's voice with but a snap of her fingers.


There was time required for Valerie to realize her voice returned, and time after for them to remember how to speak. They coughed twice, noting how odd it felt to actually have your vocalizations taken away and then returned. She adapted quickly to the sensation however. An impressive feat that brought a smile to her lips.


Which then slowly curled into a frown as she looked at her gigantic girlfriend…


"Ordy's just trying to help you, you Idiot!" Valerie shouted from in-between Cathay's toes, her predicament not at all keeping her tone at bay. "Just like Mergo said, they were only doing their job. No fucking way you're going to punish them over that!" 


There she went again, standing up to Cathay without so much as a care for their own self-preservation. Just as she had done before when threatened with near devourment. It was a wonderfully powerful quality of Valerie which Cathay loved immensely. There weren't many so bold, or so idiotic, that they'd think to stand up against her. The Archfiend liked to think that perhaps, at that moment, she knew the Human to be special. 


Still, given the circumstances, she wouldn't bend so easily. Even to Valerie. Especially when Ordegash, the one Cathay had placed her trust in, showed secrets they were not supposed to. 


"Oh yes, because I certainly wanted Ordy to show you terrors that would tear apart even a god's mind." Cathay retaliated through grit teeth. Her hold over Valerie didn't tighten, but it felt as though at any moment the Archfiend could just scrunch her toes and end this. Though she never would, the thought didn't leave the Human's mind. She still didn't back down. "And let us not forget how he gave you a book of spells that is just FULL of secrets bound to paint a target on your back. Yes, I should be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL they granted you such a gift!" 


On top of that, Cathay was still sour over what the Pale Lord had done several months back. Aiding Gilah in leaving the Depths, fully aware over Cathay forbidding such an action. Not really something one would do when trying to earn her favor, borderline omniscience or not.


Again, she was reminded of just how few actually listened to her orders. Those not of her court anyway.


Cathay wasn't even certain what Ordegash was thinking this time around. Though their thoughts were often misplaced between innumerable realities, contemplating rampant possibilities and what-ifs, they KNEW the danger the blasphemous tome represented. It was loathed across the cosmos for a reason. Hated for containing words that had never been written. Spells that have never been spoken. Whispers of the universe, words forced into conception by the very power of the tablets Cathay created to kill throne bearers. Kings and Queens such as herself. It was a poison to the manifold, just as its nature intended. The knowledge contained within was not something she, or anyone else for that matter, had written. 


It was… everything. The very shadows of totality given form; condensed on ever changing pages of paper and god skin. 


An artifact such as this, something so dangerous that even the Archfiend wasn't aware of its fullest capabilities, was not something that should be gifted to ANY being let alone a mortal. 


A human at that.


Among the lowliest and weakest of mortalkind…


Cathay would need to keep it close at hand. Make sure it didn't fall into the grips of any who might misuse it a second time. 


And though it was crude to say, Valerie's hands were far from ideal. There were admittedly better holders of such power than herself. All this was just another issue that’d need to be dealt with in time. Better to cut the bud before it blooms into a real danger. 


"Well I'm glad Ordy trusted me with it!" Valerie revealed, catching the Ruler off guard. She saw on Cathay's face the deep contemplation she was in, weighing what choices she should make going forward. Valerie understood her limits, especially when compared to the might of the one she’s been intimate with. She was aware of the difference between their strengths, their very existence. Valerie wasn’t so headstrong as to hold any sort of delusions. Still... 


"I'm happy to at least have the ability to help you!" 


"And most of all, I'm hopeful you'll see that as well…" Valerie's frustration lessened. Her anger steadily passed. All she wanted was for Cathay to see where she was coming from.


It was a human sentiment, desiring someone so close to you to see your point of view. To share the thoughts you hold dear. Valerie knew trying to convince Cathay was an uphill battle. They weren't human after all, and even if they had worn a very convincing disguise, the Archfiend was the furthest thing from a human. She relished in that. Took joy in hiding among inferior creatures, letting them think they had something over her. 


That said, Valerie wanted to at least try. Show that she could be more than just human, if only just for Cathay. 


They wanted her to know they could be of use. More than just a delicate voice and a warm body in bed. While it was ludicrous to imagine she could be of any actual aid to the Ruler of the Depths, that was just the humanity of the eldest Armitage. Stubborn. Unreasonable. And yes, quite possibly insane. 


Cathay lowered her leg, dropping the now shaking human on the bed. She had plenty to say, but that tiny body of hers made it difficult to speak when the one you were talking to was a skyscraper by comparison. The Ruler was unmoving, inquisitive in her expression but unchanged in position. While this left her in something of a suggestive position for her human to gawk at, that was neither the intention or a concern. 


"I know you want to be of help…" Cathay admitted. She wasn’t so callous as to disregard the existence of that want. Valerie wouldn't be satisfied unless she was actively contributing to their relationship. Not in a way that would matter to a human, but in a form that would be beneficial to a queen of the cosmos. Yet she was only human. "But you have to understand, your limits are many. There's still so much you don't know of your own universe, let alone the Multiverse and beyond." 


"Then teach me!" The small but bold human exclaimed. She was relentless. There was only determination in her voice. "I was reluctant at first to see that book! Really, I was! But Ordegash assured me this was what I needed to do if I wanted to help!"


The Primal never forced Valerie to peer into the pages of the blasphemous tome. Her hand was not swayed, nor was she maliciously coerced. The ultimate choice was her own. But Ordegash assured her that this was the best way to be of use to his Majesty. 


"They told me this was the only way for me to see things as you do. To learn how you lead your kingdom, and that even if it means destruction for some you only want to keep mankind safe. That's… almost kind of you." Valerie's head was lowered as she recalled what was told to her. Good. That way she didn't see the confusion on Cathay's face. 


Sure, she wanted mankind safe, but not out of the kindness of her heart. The Earth was still flooded with far too many egotistical apes for Cathay's liking, and if a few thousand died to the Depths she wouldn't even bat an eye. She only wished to preserve humanity long enough for them to defend themselves, without her machinations in play, and yet with the way Valerie was wording things it made it seem as though Cathay were actively going out of her way to defend the Earth. 


Strange…


"I have qualms about your methods," Valerie continued, unaware of her titanic girlfriend's confusion. "I mean, having your people attack other kingdoms. Domains. That’s majorly fucked up, but that's just your nature, and I imagine that's normal in the grand scheme of things right? I mean, I don’t think I could comprehend HALF of what goes on in your mind let alone the minds of others like you. That aside, you're still trying to keep us safe. Your home… your friends… Gilah and myself."


“I saw how you defended her. How you got angry for her sake. That’s kind. In a Depthborn sort of way, you care Cath.”


The Archfiend grew still. Her eyes widened in realization. A soft chuckle escaped her lips as her lips curled upward into a smile of satisfaction. 


"Clever Slug" she thought. 


Cathay finally caught on to the game the Pale God  was playing. 


"I suppose… it is…" she admitted, choosing to play along, acting as though sudden realization over her ‘unintentional actions’ played a role in her outrage against her council. "I wouldn’t stand idly by as they insulted a dear friend. Especially when I had made their duties clear."


Technically not a lie on her end. It was true that Cathay felt insulted that someone like Gilah could be seen as a weakness for her. Yes, the Archfiend did favor the Butcher over other souls in the Depths, but they were far from a weakness. She believes to have proved that point well in her punishment. 


The point remained though that Ordegash had painted a fairer picture of Cathay. Something which Valerie could latch on to and believed her beloved is acting out of genuine altruism. A clever strategy that would depict her in an almost benevolent light. Or at least one that allowed her to play into her nature as a Queen of the Kingdom most reviled. 


Credit given where it was due, Cathay hadn't thought of that possibility. Leave it to the Sole Order of the Depths to continue onward with plans of their own.


With that in mind, she may as well play her part. Wouldn’t wish to ruin whatever it was the pale Slug was cooking up. "Very well then," Cathay conceded with a smile. She sat upright, moving her legs above Valerie like great pillars before crossing them together. "Ordegash will be safe from my wrath. I'll even do you this favor and teach you a few spells. Things I know you can handle. Anything else, you’ll have to learn on your own. Deal?"


Valerie fell quiet. She needed some time to properly process what she had heard. It wasn’t long though until her hands rose to her lips, concealing a jovial gasp. “Wait… really? As in really, really?”


Cathay giggled softly, glad to see Valerie’s dour mood fade fast. “Yes. Really, really~.” 


The human could barely hold herself back from squealing in delight. Magic. She would be taught actual magic, even if they’d likely be basic spells compared to anything Cathay might do on a whim. Still, it was more than what she could have hoped for. But more than that, she’d be more readily able to help her cosmic girlfriend in matters that didn’t demand her focus. Smaller, homebound issues instead of the usual all-encompassing problems maintaining a kingdom entailed. It felt good. Even if just barely into the first step, this was progress Valerie was more than pleased to make. 


That meant her next steps in helping the Ruler would go by more smoothly. At least that was her hope. The council between Primordials brought up points of interest to the eldest Armitage, yet none more noteworthy than the calling out of Cathay’s first true companion. The Archfiend still cared for them greatly. That much was clear through their reaction. And yet they had not spoken in months since moving to Ravencroft. 


While it might not be her place to say, Valerie felt such an old relationship couldn’t continue in such a manner. She wondered just how she might fix such a wound. 


A matter for another day unfortunately, as the world that was Valerie’s bed began to shake with the massive Ruler’s movements. They laid back down, positioning themself in such a way that now they were fully conscious of their ‘vulnerability’. Confused at first, it wasn’t until the Armitage saw Cathay pointing towards the tome book by her side did she realize what was going on. 


“Your first lesson will be learning how to grow yourself back,” the Ruler explained. “Now, you can find some way to make the book smaller, or you can try and find the spell when it's full sized. The choice is yours. Just know, if you don’t manage it in time, I'll shrink you smaller and set you to rest on my body. That sound fair?”


Valerie was taken aback. “Wait, how long do I have?”


“Aright, go! I’ll tell you when time’s up~!” 


Looking between the goddess laying on the bed, and the monolithic book she was meant to scour in search of a spell, Valerie knew any further concerns of hers would go unanswered. She’d have to work on Gilah’s and Cathay’s friendship another time. 


Right now… she had much bigger problems to deal with. 

Chapter End Notes:

See? What'd I'd say, this one didn't take long at all. Granted, that's because it was nearly done with I posted Chapter 8. With these two posted now, and because they were both meant to serve as one chapter, the precursor to the finale is done. That leaves only chapter 10 left, and unlike 9 it doesn't have a head start. That said, hoping it won't take too long to finish. Til then, all y'all take care, eat well, pray to your Ruler of the Depths and leave a rating and review if you so wish. 

See ya!