- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Even the most powerful of beings possess chains. Limitations that are not always physical. 

"And you're sure this isn't a permanent thing, right?" Valerie asked as she looked through the shelves of the former Mayor of Ravencroft's office. Cathay wasn't lying when she had said they were quite the religious nut. Not just religious paraphernalia regarding Christianity, but Hinduism, Buddhism, Unification, and an article regarding something about a flying… Spaghetti Monster? 


Religions from all over the world, ranging from the diabolical, to the heavenly, to the simply nonsensical, all were contained here in some way shape or form. A collection of this level goes well beyond a meager fascination; shooting right into the territory of an obsession. 


"I mean I always knew the Mayor was sketchy, but this?" Valerie had no words to compare it all to. "It’s sort of surreal…" 


"Turns out you never really know someone, huh?" Cathay shrugged, sitting without a care behind the office's desk, twiddling her cross necklace in between her fingers. "Embezzling money from his own citizens. The lengths some people will go to feed their obsessions is truly pitiable ." 


A fabrication fed to Valerie to ensure she remained unaware of what really happened to Ravencroft's ‘divine’ mayor. They had no clue the same politician was currently wrapped around Cathay's neck as the very necklace she toyed with. It was for the best, as Valerie hadn't the slightest idea as to who they were or what their true intentions were. Had they known the truth then whatever views they had of religion, if they believed in any, might have changed.


The Heavens had that effect on those they let down. 


"And to think, I voted for that bastard." Valerie was in disbelief. Yeah, the former Mayor wasn't really the best of options, but at the time of elections her choices were rather limited. It was either the apparent religious nut or some man who looked as though his mother held lascivious relationships with toads. Bug eyed and grotesque, Valerie ultimately picked the one who seemed as though she'd be able to carry a conversation with. 


Who would have thought she’d have chosen poorly?.


"Fucking hell… this is going to mess up my whole day."


"And why is that?" Cathay asked, having stopped toying with her jewelry the moment Valerie showed an ounce of distress. Her pupils shrunk at the very prospect of having invited some form of discomfort. 


Thankfully her worries were unfounded as Valerie's concerns weren't as expected. 


"He was supposed to pay my group…" Valerie sulked as she wondered how exactly she was going to break the news to not only her publisher but also her fellow journalists. "I was supposed to have a report ready for him by the end of the month." 


The trials of a freelance writer never ended it seemed, especially when one needed to work wherever the opportunity arised. Valerie was skilled in what she did, writing reports, speeches, or short stories with a touch more… intimacy, she knew how to put words on paper.  She also knew how to save up and invest, and thanks to the former Mayor's and her most recent Publisher’s generous payouts, Valerie didn't need to worry about rent or bills yet. Still, she was pretty much out of a job, and even if Cathay had a hand in her previous employer's sudden expulsion she did not blame them. 


"Damn, I feel so dirty." She admitted. "I was getting paid with bad money." 


Cathay chuckled and stood from her seat. Making her way to her dear human, she pulled Valerie into a hug, affectionately wrapping summoned wings around them. 


The human looked on at the added appendages with wonder, the sight of the draconic wings always proving breathtaking. "I will never NOT love that~."


Pulling the shorter woman closer, Cathay kissed Valerie upon her cheek; The sudden tenderness enough to make both of them blush. 


"Don't worry about this, my Star." Cathay said, unbothered by her mate's plight. "I was the one who found out your Mayor's intentions, so I'll handle the mess they left behind. Until then I'll pay you and your ape accomplices, okay?" 


And that way, Cathay would have more time in deciding how she'll exactly fix this problem of hers. This Angel’s appearance posed a world of issues she needed to deal with beyond just replacing them. Most likely she'll find one whom she can trust to assume the role of mayor in her captive's stead. 


As if she would do it herself. Cathay’s duties as a Ruler kept her far too busy.


…usually


Valerie wasn't too sure, however. "I don't know… how exactly do you plan on fixing this? Putting aside finding a replacement, which is TOTALLY unethical and you promised to do better, but how do you plan on paying up? I don't wanna sound rude, but…"


"I've only ever offered the literal change in my pockets?" Cathay finished, already well aware of where Valerie was going with this. With a nod of their head, her human confirmed those suspicions. 


"Goodness Val, how little do you think of me?" Pulling her wings away, Cathay momentarily hid the office desk behind the ebony shade of their membrane. When they were pulled away and back into the Ruler's being, hidden beneath the cream colored jacket she wore, a pile of golden coins and gems of incredible grandeur rested on top. "As it turns out, my pockets are quite vast. Aren’t you lucky~." 


Many Depthborn carried with them a sizable horde of treasures. Plunder from planetary conquests, taken from civilizations that now no longer exist. The older the beast in question the greater the treasures they possessed, and few in the Depths were as old as Cathay. Depthborn beasts understood the value of certain baubles and trinkets, and while not possessing the same lure to treasure as dragons or demons they still found enjoyment in its collection. Like trophies that served as reminders of ancient battles won, even the most 'gentle' of the Deep Wastes were known to carry some form of wealth, whether it be treasure, knowledge or aught else. Commonly, they did well in serving as symbols of status. 


"So long as I am here you'll want for nothing," the Ruler said, a tinge of pride in her voice. "Simply say the word and I can gift you anything." Were they allowed to do so, Cathay would grant Valerie entire planets to rule over, acting as a sort of pseudo-goddess if they so wished. It was certainly within her right of power, given the reach of her Domain, and perhaps this way Valerie would begin to see things in a different light. Understand the benefits that come with unassailable power. 


So filled with pride and wonder over the possibilities, Cathay failed to realize that, rather than the joy she had expected, she instead found a stern-faced Valerie silently judging her. "You mean to tell me I've been worrying about rent when you could have done something like this these past four months?" 


A wary smile curved the Tyrant's lips upwards, and in a rare moment of weakness Cathay felt a bead of sweat sliding down her brow. What she had hoped to be a display of the wealth beyond just her cosmic might, gained without the authority her throne allowed no less, was instead an admission of her holding out on possible financial aid. Even now, she was finding it difficult to look her girlfriend in the eyes to admit to revealing this blunder of hers. 


"Keep them" 


With a sigh Valerie relented, before turning her back on the gold and gems. 


"There's no reason I'd ever need so much," the bold human explained. "It's excessive, and besides, I can't tell if you took that from worlds you've… ravaged"


That was a fair observation, and right on the money as it were. Honestly, Cathay couldn't think of a situation where she had actually received her treasures without some form of bloodshed. It just came natural to her and her kind, and she wouldn’t feel sorry for that. She had no reason to be. Still, rather than finding herself insulted over this rejection of such a gift the Ruler found herself quite pleased.


Not just anyone would turn their back on such wealth. Not even an Angel it seemed was beyond such temptations. 


Cathay wondered then what that made Valerie.


"You know, most humans would take such riches for themselves." The Ruler tried to justify. "There's no shame in taking this advantage for yourself. No one would judge you unfairly. I am giving it to you after all, no strings attached." Once more she was given a stern, nearly nerve racking expression of a woman who thought differently. 


"If you're saying most people would jump at that chance then they're all just selfish pricks," Valerie shot back with a huff. "And I'd very much appreciate it if you didn't compare me to them. Or is that how little you think of me?" 


Cathay's amusement never waned. It instead grew the more she focused upon her Beloved's character. So genuine, so strong, it was almost strange to think Valerie was of the same species as the rest of mankind. 


"Well said, my Lovely Little Star~. " As Cathay moved to return to her seat behind the office's desk, the pile of riches vanished. Not in a flash of light or puff of smoke. Instead they simply blinked away; gone in an instant and returned to Cathay’s horde. 


"Thank you," though the offer was appreciated and she had refused a rather handsome payday, Valerie had no regrets over her decision. Nor did Cathay who seemed to enjoy the choice made. Riches such as that were better distributed elsewhere, not wasted on a single life such as hers. After all, if Valerie didn't work for her lot in life, the goals she wished to meet, then what point was there to life? She worked hard to get where she was now, and just because she had a girlfriend as powerful as Cathay didn’t mean she had an excuse to grow lazy.. 


"Now, if you'll excuse me…" Valerie moved to the office's single coat rack, taking from it a leather jacket meant to shield her from Ravencroft's strangely cold weather. "I need to break the bad news to a bunch of disgruntled writers." Whatever her reasons for denying the gifts which could be granted, Valerie knew her mindset would not be shared among her peers. Unlike her, they'd be more distraught over the prospect of losing their cash cow. "I fully expect tears, and a lot of complaining."


This was her lot in life, and just as both women made time for their nightly engagements they also needed to make room for work. While Cathay settled business here, figuring out how to solve the issue of finding someone to take the seat of power here in Ravencroft, Valerie needed to inform her group that their previous employer was an apparent nutcase. 


With a wave and a wink, along with a kiss blown, Valerie left her cosmic lover to her own devices, and in so doing left the Ruler with an ever shouting loose end to tie.  


Now that she was in the clear, Cathay could address the issue of her angelic captive. Looking down past the collar of her shirt and hanging just above her generous chest, the Angel turned necklace dangled freely; lifeless to all who could not hear their radical screams. Their rage and entitlement seemed without limits, their non-stop ranting having lasted the entire day prior and well into the current. It'd have been noteworthy, their spirit, were it not so irritating. 


Thankfully, it proved an easy task to tune them out. Deal with enough of the self-important and their yammering begins to sound the same regardless of the Domain they hail from. Unfortunately, Cathay couldn't silence her captive the old fashioned, and greatly preferred, way. Not from a lack of power, there were few things as is that could contend with her, but more from the promise made to Valerie. 


"Do better…" Cathay sighed. Who knew two simple words could prove so complex an instruction to follow? "Fine… then how about this?"


Snapping the chain free from her neck, Cathay threw the piece of jewelry down where it landed between waiting, booted feet.


The accessory grew brighter, hotter, softening with the rising heat as it scalded the floor. Yet another transformation, one that maintained the Angel's new size while keeping them contained within the physical bindings of their more recent prison-body; a meager fashion accessory given legs and arms. They morphed, until they began to resemble something similar to their previous, divine form, gaining four eye-covered rings that composed their head along with quite the dapper suit. 


Offering them at least that sense of modesty was a gift. Cathay had no need for a naked angel. Those remained better off as paintings on murals.


Despite the transformation, the Ruler of the Depths remained uninterested. She raised her boot over the Angel so that it would be the first thing they saw through this new perspective of theirs. All the grime, dirt, and occasional bug corpse which clung to Cathay's treads would serve as the Bird's new world. A definite fall from grace from whatever lofty position they held as a Watcher of the Heavens. Now all they'd be able to witness were the soles of the boots belonging to one whom they were taught to loathe. 


Looking down, Cathay saw as the Angel's transformation finished. There was a moment of silence as they looked upon their newer appearance, the same metal which composed their necklace self, before the heavenly being's many eyes went wide with shock. The Ruler above smiled as mentally, she felt the range of emotions her captive experienced. There was the sudden surprise at being "freed", followed shortly after by a growing desire for revenge. 


Next, obviously, came an attempt to strike back against the all-mighty Tyrant. A Fool's errand to be sure, but then most of these Birds were the greatest of fools themselves. It wasn’t odd to think of an angel biting off more than they could chew, as was seen now when this Watcher tried to summon even an ounce of their divine might, power that could scorch the city of Ravencroft if allowed to run rampant. Instead they could only summon embers too weak to light even a candle. Subsequent attempts followed, along with an effort to summon the Angelic 'voice of light' known among the Heavens. Once again nothing came about from such efforts. 


Realization sunk in not long after and only grew as the Angel looked up at a foot so large it could snuff them out with the most minor of steps. Though their form had changed to fit their former appearance they were still imprisoned; their power contained. And worst still, their voice was silent, cut off from the rest of their kind. Though free to move, they still found themselves imprisoned. 


"I'm sure you've realized, but your sudden transformation is only superficial," Cathay explained as the sole of her footwear lowered until it lightly tapped the rings that made up her heavenly captive's head. "As if I'd take the risk of having you call for any help. Earth doesn't have any need for one of the Heaven's crusades." 


Though an invasion of that domain was hardly a danger to her, Cathay felt it would be in Earth's best interests if the Heaven's remained unaware of the planet's failed conversion. That sort of divine mayhem was best left silent. 


If any disaster were to come then it'd be of the Depths' hands and none other.


"Though, maybe a few of your friends would be nice…" giving it some thought, Cathay wouldn't mind having herself a little collection of angelic warriors and watchers. When their minds and bodies broke they proved quite the efficient workers. "By yourself, I highly doubt you'd serve even as a decent shoe shiner." The Ruler explained further, much to her captive's horror. 


Cathay smiled as the molten eyes behind her shaded glasses shined brighter. She felt that the Angel wished to protest, but of course she wouldn't allow for that. "Oh, you heard me right, Boot Kisser. You're my property now, and I'd advise you to hurry. That is… unless you wish to fall from your Domains' grace and into the Hells you so hate?"


She could feel it enter their mind the moment she spoke of the possible consequences. The humiliation of being reduced to a little novelty, a tool for amusement, as well as the fear of falling down from the Heavens. There was hardly any fight as they began to step forward. 


"That's what I thought~"


The act of falling, as it is known through the Heavens, is an occurrence which forces one of a divine nature onto the path of the demonic. Feared by most of a radiant origin, all who called the Heavens their home could potentially descend into the Hells which defied everything they stood for. Their territorial anthesis. 


There was no Ruler who lorded over the Domain of the Gods, no one to contend with should the act of falling be forced, and as such Cathay knew there was none who could keep her from following through on such a threat. Just another one of her many capabilities granted through her status. 


 As easily as she could annihilate a cluster of galaxies, she could force a Bird into becoming an Impish slave. 


With that sort of knowledge in mind it came as no surprise when she felt the Watcher’'s hands rubbing against her treads, removing any impurity from them. 


Any grime and speck of cloth they came across was brunt away through golden fire, the sole power allowed them. In Cathay's opinion it was a far better use of their might than whatever else it was angels did these days. Preach the grace of whatever gods they worshiped, or try to ascend to godhood themselves? Pointless when compared to the task of trying to keep her pleased. It served them better after all, as it meant they'd be allowed a few more years of living. 

 

Admittedly, this sort of degradation for those that pride themselves on their "perfection" was fun. Maybe not as fun as the humiliation Valerie could impose despite being a fragile little human, but still enjoyable. And when death was off the board in terms of punishments then creativity became the tormentor's greater tool. 


Cathay supposed that was a quality they shared, the Angel and her, the struggle to maintain their sense of individuality; or sense of power in the case of the Depths. Always fighting even if it meant an arm, a limb, or a life. 


"I suppose you think of me as cruel? An uncaring monster that should be wiped from existence?" Though the Angel had no voice with which to speak anymore, they didn't need one. A quick search through their mind confirmed Cathay's inquiries. "Of course you do. You think this is the worst situation someone of your stature could be in. That no one of your purity deserves this form of humiliation."


A chuckle escaped Cathay's throat as she moved her foot closer to the Angel, her sole nearly ramming into his entire body. 


"You have no idea just how wrong you are if you think this is the worst you think things can get." 


Though these circumstances were far from favorable for the Angel they weren't even close to the worst of fates which could befall someone. 


"You tried to rise beyond your station. You tried to evolve. I can understand that," Truly, Cathay could. "But if you think the subjugation of one little planet is going to be enough for you to become a god then you hardly know a thing about how any universe operates."


"Take it from me, Little Bird, you need to sink long before you can rise from the deep."


***


The path of evolution is often a difficult one to walk, and at times the routes taken to ensure one's growth are not as beneficial as originally hoped. There is no straight line to take, nor are there directions present which offer a glimpse into what lies waiting at the end of the journey. It is a coin toss, graced only through chance. There are no miracles. There are no shortcuts. Only blood, sweat, and the determination needed to survive against all adversities.


Yet even that may not be enough. The will of the cosmos, of nature, is more cruel than any devil.  


Regardless of how many foes she consumed, forces of nature all, no form Cathay took ever managed to fit. She had devoured angels and demons, gods and devils; denizens of the Void and dragons whose galactic flames shamed even the heat of the hottest stars. She tore apart everything her claws and teeth could sink into regardless of the threat they posed to her, earning a reputation fiercer than ever before. No longer could she be considered a Drake of the Deep Wastes, having consumed even her closest kin until only she remained. Instead, Cathay seemed more akin to an Archfiend. A demon in both actions and appearance, bleeding totality dry until the imperfections that riddled her body ceased to be.  


Impurities and mutations so obscene they made a fool of biology. Forced to slither upon the ground like some serpent, Cathay could only pull herself forward to reach her twisted, gruesome goals. Far from whatever benefits were granted in the beginning of her journey towards evolution, she now felt as little more than a monument of failure; a body of work built only on the worst qualities and traits she could find. 


Skin and scales melted away, torn asunder by the conflict of powers within her form, revealing bone bleached by corrupted light and blood red fire. What excess amounts of skin did remain draped behind and trailed across the ground, darkened and corroding all unfortunate enough to be caught in the trail of desolate blood left behind. Those that did not melt away instead found themselves victims of an even worse fate. Mutated, overcome by an unfathomable bloodlust much like the monstrosity which had burned away thousands of worlds, hundreds of star systems, and countless civilizations of both divine and mortal origin. 


In the presence of this Terror of apocalyptic proportions, the very cosmos shuttered and cried out in agony. Upon those great many worlds invaded, deformities and afflictions ran rampant. Organic life grew hideous, bestial, turning upon kin with such fervor that destruction settled long before Cathay could even breach a planet’s surface. When she did the effects grew only more potent, with even those of an inorganic nature taking on qualities which defied their very nature. Metal grew spurs of bones and crowns of flesh while stone and wheat became riddled with polyps of eyes. Oxygen grew acidic and water turned to bile while the stars above bled down into the lesser world's below them. 


Such was but a glimpse into the chaotic, terrifying power of the Archfiend of the Depths. Yet even that power, unstable though it was, paled in comparison to that of a Ruler's. A flicker of flame compared to a sun. 


She was there in the beginning, when the culling of the Heavens and their Godly leaders came to an end. Cathay proved one of the cullings' most effective killers, her sole desire of evolution aiding her greatly, but in the aftermath of the favored carnage a change to the cosmos was enacted. With the number of divinity having dwindled to a more agreeable amount, leaders needed to arise to take charge of the ailing cosmos. Beings who, through the acknowledgement of their respective Domains, would attain the power and authority necessary to grind even the most supreme of gods under heel, so as to prevent a second culling. 


Seemingly limitless in power, the very authority of these greater beings having been engraved into the laws of creation, the first Rulers came to be crowned out of necessity within a healing reality. Of course, in her endless search for power and internal balance Cathay was not present to witness the coronation of the first Ruler of the Depths. 


She found the very idea of such beings to be ridiculous, and ultimately pointless; limiting the freedom they all once likely possessed. Though the power was undeniable, and perhaps even coveted by many a would-be usurper, the fates of the Rulers were now tied to that of their domains. Their entire being, their whole role within existence, would be solely dedicated to the maintaining of all that their kingdom commanded. And while reality could be altered with but a simple thought it often came at the cost of conflict against a fellow king or queen. 


Such chains were frowned upon by Cathay. Only the strongest may rule the Depths, and as such any Ruler to ascend should be fully aware of the nature of their own kingdom. Bloodlust and carnage could not be held back. Instead, it could only be unleashed, lest the denizens of the Deep Wastes lose their claws and purpose. They prevented complacency by inspiring fear across the cosmos. An ever present need to grow, to survive. Without that there would only be stagnation; a death sentence.  


No Ruler regardless of the authority they possessed would ever contain Cathay. That was a decision she made herself when alterations to the healing cosmos were well underway. Let them come for her if that is what they wished. Even with a crazed and fragmented mind she would gladly accept erasure over failure and chains. 


As if tempting fate and the possibility of ceasing to be, the Archfiend traveled from one domain to the next, slaughtering all that came her way to defend their opposing, faltering kingdoms. She abused the restrictions of the Rulers, acting without worry as they focused only on maintaining their territories. The first Rulers were an orderly but foolish lot after all, believing the threat Cathay posed to their own subjects was minimal compared to the wellbeing of the territories. 


Such travels eventually led the Depthborn Terror down a path which placed her upon the shores of what was once the greatest seat of power across creation: The Dreaming City. 


A wellspring of possibility and potential; change of any form was the one rule of the City. Alterations to the laws of reality which governed totality, infinity and eternity: it was all permitted here. Whether it was faux universes made through the dreams of sleeping gods or laws which acted as the antithesis to well established concepts, there was nothing which could not be made manifest within the Domain of Dreamers. It was in these lands of gold and ivory where the establishment of the current cosmic hierarchy was established, and it is here where the very same order shall end, so as to make room for the next epoch. 


Of the Domains which lorded over creation, it was that of the Dreamer’s which ruled over kings and queens. 


And Cathay, in her boundless hunger for growth, tore her way through fields of attainable manifestations and towers of great capabilities. She devoured the Dreaming City's citizens, those charged with watching over the dreams and lives of all who carried with them a form of sentience. She destroyed the city's protectors, headless, mountain-sized brutes adorned in long strips of silver cloth. The Archfiend of the Depths brought ruin to that which was meant to be the epitome of change; only stopping when she drew the ire of that which she believed would overlook the threat she posed. 


Just as quickly as the carnage had begun it was brought to an end as above, Cathay witnessed the descent of the city's Ruler- It’s First Dreamer.  


A tall and authoritarian figure, clad in crimson veils and sheets of obsidian. They said not a single word as they approached, only ever watching their fiendish intruder with eight calm but overpowering eyes. 


In the most infinitesimal measure of time, the Ruler held the head of its domains' intruder by their horns. Clinging to life, her ruinous body broken, Cathay could just barely perceive her tormentor's thoughts as they were laid bare. "I know what you seek, Cretin of the Deep Territory. Press on and you shall find it."


Powerful though she was, Cathay could do nothing to fight back. Her wounds were too severe, life threatening, and it was only through her assailant’s power that she was kept from death’s door. Though the Ruler’s were bound in chains and rules, it was still enough for some to act when the situation demanded it. The ruination of the Dreaming City was one such event, a miscalculation of the Archfiend’s. 


"No dream shall be barred, Beast, not even your coveted evolution. But make no mistake, you will not rise from the deep, but instead shall drown in it."


And so Cathay was dragged away into the very city she sought to bring ruin to. A prisoner of her own unending hunger and terrible power, now kept chained away within a city of potential she could no longer use to her own benefits.


***


No humiliation Cathay could inflict upon the Angel that burned away the filth on her boots could compare to what she felt as a victim trapped within her own failing body. No prison she could create could hold a candle to that which contained her for an eternity of perpetual torment. 


Every grievous act of destruction she enacted, every disastrous thought she possessed; all of it was a kindness compared to what SHE had to endure. 


Where once she desired evolution, a means to surpass previous notions of power for the sake of her survival, now she only wished for the silence and serenity of a station she originally did not wish to ascend to. 


Here she was bound in the chains of her own Domain, meant to serve its interests as queen. Free to cause destruction, yes, but never beyond what is expected of her kingdom’s nature. A Tyrant forced onto her throne by circumstances and whose sole purpose was now the maintenance of a territory that derived its strength from carnage. An impossible task in her eyes, one that hasn’t just caused its fair share of migraines but also serves as a reminder of the further humiliation Cathay has had to endure in a life countless eternities long. 


But even if this role was forced upon her, that did not mean she wasn't allowed some base pleasures every now and then. With a light tap of the toes of her shoes, Cathay gently patted the head of the Angel beneath her; now a servant to her whims. Their sole purpose now being the betterment of her mood, as that alone would keep them from falling into the recesses of Mania that were the many Hells of the Cosmos. 


Cathay raised her foot onto her lap, depriving her servant of their task just as they were finding their ‘groove’, so that she may examine their handiwork. "See?" Though there were still specks of dirt and patches of grime, Cathay could not deny the general improvement of cleanliness. Given how most denizens of the Heavens weren't used to such labor it wasn't an entirely bad job. "When you Birds understand the consequences you make for effective workers… or maids in your case. Keep this up and I might even let you massage my actual foot."


Cathay has been meaning to apply a new coat of paint to her nails. Even an Angel obsessed with godhood could complete that sort of task. 


"But before we deal with that, there are still other matters that need to be discussed." Turning her attention away from the Ophium, Cathay tapped a single nail against her desk. Low at first, it wasn't long until the tapping grew in sound; echoing across the walls and shaking the various religious paraphernalia that decorated almost every corner of the room.  She spoke a single word that echoed across vast distances, breaking through time and space to reach the deepest territories of her kingdom. 


"Ordegash"


At once, the world around Cathay and her angelic property seized; halting any movement. The air and oxygen which mankind breathed came to a stop as all things beyond the singular office stopped with the sudden cessation of time. The various antiques and relics of religions from across the world softened and melted away, gaining a pale complexion as the growing masses moved to the center of the room- seemingly having gained a form of sentience. 


They all came together and coalesced, growing in size but never to a point that became overbearing for its surroundings. In fact, the room itself seemed to rise and fall with the shifting, pale flesh-like mass; as though the two were one and the same. Fluidity of the form soon gave way to design, like clay taking its first shape. First came gaunt, skeletal arms that pushed the rest of this forming, frail body upward, allowing more of its gruesome mass to take shape. Thin to a point of starvation and yet pulsating with life, this eyeless, vaguely humanoid entity possessed two mouths that ground their teeth relentlessly. 


From all directions the summoned Being spoke, possessing qualities of both refinement and madness in their voice. "The Ruler calls, and the Sole Order of the Depths responds. Summoned through authority, and undefined necessity. She does not know her reasoning. not yet. We know more than her, but we shall wait. We shall listen." 


Splendid, Cathay could already feel a headache forming. 


In the Depths there were few older than her. Ordegash, for all their confusing practices and manner of speech, was one such entity. A Primordial Depthborn who sought knowledge and order rather than power and bloodlust. A rarity to be sure; in their constant searching of both they've committed a great many heinous crimes, devouring those who viewed and controlled the passages of time. In their resulting evolutions they grew capable of witnessing all manner of events conceivable, viewing countless possible realities branching from equally endless choices. They saw it all, shattering their mind in the process but now holding knowledge on everything from the past, present, and future that could or would ever happen. 


There was no better advisor Cathay could ask for in regards to current dilemmas, and despite Ordegash's reputation across several domains she knew they could be trusted. They've earned their title for good reason, favoring silence and stability, oddly enough, rather than carnage. Not because they possessed a kind heart but because, as is the common desire, a more peaceful approach for the Depths could ensure longevity and greater survival. 


In some small measure, Cathay was inclined to agree and it was thanks to them that she even gave the idea of living on Earth a chance. Ordegash's voice and input, no matter how mad, was well respected. 


"I'm pleased to see you haven't returned to your hole," Cathay admitted. "Imprisonment is wasted on someone of your intellect… I'm certain you're already aware of the reasons behind your summoning?"


Though they possessed no means to physically see the angel at their master's feet, Ordegash was aware of their presence regardless. "One reason out of many." One voice said. 


"Countless branches, each a road we have walked." Another added. "We have had this conversation before. Many, many times."


"Broken, separate from the whole. Dreams yet to come, shifting into any countless myriad shapes. The Angel portends a possibility of conflict. An invitation towards greater threats. Battles which the Earth would never survive. Avoidable. Unfortunate. You wish to defend this world if able…"


Cathay was impressed. "Congratulations, I almost followed that. Yes, I wish to keep this dirt ball of a planet safe. Not for the apes but more because I've found something of value here."


"As was envisioned," though they didn't smile, Ordegash seemed almost pleased with this desired development. "Promised to the Butcher. Now promised to you."


The Pale Lord has long since known this to be the path needed for the higher Domains to thrive beyond just a need for power. For those of an eldritch nature to find their 'sweethearts'. It ensured prosperity, not just for the Depths but for all cosmic kingdoms. 


But even though it was already a known possibility, it still felt good to be right. 


Cathay threw her hands up in defeat. "Yes, yes, I was wrong and you weren't. Take it in, Slug." Ordegash wasn't just an entity older than their Ruler, they were one of the few beings she knew of that was their superior in intellect. Their nigh-omniscience was second only to the Tyrants which lorded over creation. That didn't mean she had to enjoy any perceivable smugness that arose from her fellow Primal though. "Can you help me or not? We both know the Depths won't just defend the Earth. And I can't directly get involved unless it's a matter that reflects my station. If Earth is to be protected then…"


"It will need to defend itself," Ordegash finished with total clarity in synced voices, already aware of their master's plan. With a bow, they acknowledged the possible repercussions which could arise from future actions. The Depths had many enemies, and no doubt they would look poorly upon any future machinations. 


But in acting so early they would be unable to do anything to impede Cathay or those loyal to her. "This one understands. This one will obey."


"Mankind's cultivation and growth will be assured, my Ruler."


"Good, good… that's what I like to hear." Cathay muttered as she glanced down at the angel who was rightly cowering in the shadow of both her and the pale skinned Primordial. The Heavens understood well the danger a single primal could pose. Godlike in power, they were second only to their master. 


Though blanketed in darkness by two cosmic powerhouses, and shaded thanks to her glasses, Cathay could see clearly a trickle of yellow falling from the Angel's legs. 


Even the divine knows when it is appropriate to be afraid. "Oh, right. That reminds me…"


She still needed someone to replace Ravencroft's former Mayor. Though Cathay had expected the search to be longer than she would have liked, perhaps she'd be able to… cut a few corners? 


Cathay's crimson eyes fell on Ordegash, an act that didn't go unnoticed by the Primordial Depthborn. "My Ruler?"


"Say… how are you with politics?" Cathay asked in a low voice. 


With the knowledge they possessed, the countless eternities witnessed on a daily basis, there was an abysmally small number of things which could surprise Ordegash. The Pale Lord. Sole Order of the Depths. Corpse Maker and Time's Fragmented Predator. Never sleeping, always viewing the possible paths the denizens of infinite circumstances may walk, there was scarcely a moment in existence they weren't already prepared for. No answer to some complex formulae they didn't already know. 


This right here, upon hearing their Master's question, was one of those very rare moments where Ordegash found themselves unable to properly respond. 


"...pardon?"

Chapter End Notes:

Aight everyone, i'm back with the milk and ci...
Oh crap, did I miss a lot?

Good news, I finally got time away from classes!
Bad news, it's only about 2 weeks and a half. 
SO, hoping to get some good writing done in that frame of time! Wish this snake luck cause he is going to NEED IT