- Text Size +
Jackson's Jewelers in the center of Minitropolis was one of the premier jewelry stores in the area. Not an overly big setting but still well known for their rare gemstones, diamonds and a common place for gentlemen to buy that special someone a big engagement ring. Well, unfortunately they were also a hotspot for criminal activity and tonight would be no different.

Shortly after the lights went out, a lone motorcycle would growl menacingly as it approached the side of the building and out would step the sly jewel thief herself. Unbeknownst to her, a few others had the same idea, wearing somewhat generic black winter hats and bullet proof jackets.

Unbeknownst to the thugs however was another person, perhaps a little less experienced. Emphasis on "little"

"Okay Lexi..." the brave heroine would whisper to herself in a last minute attempt to motivate herself, "you can do this ..."

What am I doing?" the counterpoint would argue in her head, "What am I going to do, small them to death?"

She'd shake her head quickly and in turn whisk away any negative thoughts. She could do this. After all, she was ShrinkingGirl ... wait, no ShrinkGirl. Yes, ShrinkGirl had a much better sound to it.

Lexi would watch intently as the criminals triangulated on the location of the jewelry store, her police scanner notifying her earlier to be on the lookout for suspicious activity. To that end, she'd see a police patrol car once in a while make its rounds around the block. She wasn't worried about them however. She was just an average college aged girl wearing a sweatshirt and long pants as she jogged around by the side of the jewelry store. There was certainly nothing more to it than that.

By the time she got to the side of the building, the biker chick was gone but her bike remained. She examined the bike for just a moment, a shiny purple and chrome motorcycle with plenty of scratches on its outer chassis. It had definitely seen some time on the road and likely been in a few gunfights as well.

"That is nice..." Lexi had to admit to herself as she found herself involuntarily brushing the stark steel surface, noting a few customizations on it in the form of graffiti like painting. One side had a skull and crossbones with a pink outline and a winking eye instead of the usual open one.

The most telling clue of all though was a name scratched into the side of the bike

"ROXIE"

Lexi would take a deep breath and sigh.

No time to get off focus now. It was time to shrink...

"Let's get little..." she'd utter to herself, realizing she probably needed a better catchphrase.

Still, she felt the warmth of the nanites activate as the shrinking process suddenly became a bit more smooth than she was used to. There was still the discomfort of shrinking out of her sweatshirt but she was prepared, for underneath she donned a sleek purple outfit, borrowed from her cheerleading days and a pair of gold short shorts, both of which shrank with her, along with her purple sneakers as the now mini Lexi escaped from her sweatshirt and began her quest towards an air-duct at the lower end of the building.

But wait? How had Lexi just done that? Where did the nanites come from? Why was she dressed like a wannabe superhero?

For those answers, we'd have to back up a bit.

At this point, young Alexis Cole was just bringing her much sought after answers from the trash can into her room ... yeah, I suppose that's a weird sentence.

Upon opening the thick file folder, Lexi would find information not too dissimiliar from that which Josh had shown her earlier. It was a whole detailed multi-page document going over the details of PROJECT DELTA, complete with diagrams and analyses, as well as projections for what could happen if a human was exposed to the technology.

"It is the hope of the company" Lexi would read, "that in a few years time, humans could be molecularly modified to be compatible with this revolutionary technology involving manipulating electrical fields to alter ones size."

Funny enough, the document also went over the hitches, risks and possible pitfalls of attempting such a thing.

"I suppose that's why Hope wanted to know if I'm okay..." Lexi thought to herself, touching her own face in concern a bit. At times she would feel some temporary numbness in fingertips, likely a side effect of electrical neurons being altered. She hadn't lost feeling in her nerve-endings or anything but she had felt different, even when she wasn't shrinking.

What was stranger still were further projections and analysis that in time the power of the affect subject could even transfer to others. In other words, they could alter OTHER'S sizes, even those who weren't effected by the treatment administered. Lexi would raise a brow at this. Clearly she had become an experimental pawn in what was already an experiment not ready to be released to the public. Then again, she had to admit it was more than partially her fault, sneaking into that lab that day.

Even so, it was the other packet that Hope had included which had the would-be heroine interested. Inside were several wet-nap style pouches that were labeled with generic logos but read "size adaptive nanites" "warning: experimental"

"Yeah, no shit..." Lexi would mumble to herself, cautiously tearing open one of these packets to see a silvery powder inside. "What do I do, add water?" she thought internally before noticing the powder was slowly finding its way out of the pouch but not in a way one would expect powder to behave. It was becoming almost liquid in nature. It would land on the carpeted surface of Lexi's floor and even expand a bit upon hitting the surface, sending Lexi chasing after it a few steps. She'd step on the moving puddle and to her shock it would wrap itself around the young woman's shoe.

"Wait ... does this mean what I think it means?" Lexi asked herself.

It did seem the clinging matter was being strangely obedient now that it had adhered itself to Lexi's right shoe. She couldn't be sure until she tested it on more clothes so naturally she did just that. But where to begin? It would have to be something I don't care too much about getting ruined if this doesn't work.

For this, Lexi would go deep into her closet, the other packets sitting benign on her bed while she sought the garments that would serve as her own experiment. For this, she'd pick out 1 of her old cheerleading outfits. She had so many of them and they were from a bygone era, so ... I mean, why not, right? She'd lay a stretchy purple leotard onto the bed and pull it taught.

"Here goes ... this...." Lexi would shake her head, dabbing the powder from another packet onto the purple cheer uniform, watching it take a similar behavior, blending into the fibers on the garment, while keeping the color intact.

"Science ... I guess" Lexi shrugged, not sure how else to explain whatever she had just watched. She'd change into the cheer outfit once she repeated the treatment on the coordinating pair of gold shorts. "Okay, let's uh ... do this thing..."

To her surprise, she'd close her eyes and undergo the shrinking transformation and find that the effected clothes shrank with her very smoothly this time.

"Huh. I'll be damned ... maybe not everything Enormo makes is total crap"

Of course a fancy new outfit would only get Lexi so far against these thugs and whatever else she was in for.

She had certainly gotten lucky that her "secret connection on the inside" was willing to help her, but of course Hope nor nobody else knew what she was planning on using these things for. She had the outfit, she had the ... superpower? I guess ... and she definitely had the attitude. She of course took it personally that this Roxie chick had injured her mom and busted up her car. She wasn't out for revenge but she was definitely seeking justice. There was no reason why the people walking the streets of Minitropolis or its neighboring area shouldn't be able to enjoy the safety they were entitled to.

Before she could deal with that though, she'd have to deal with another hurdle, a more literal one in the form of the jewelry stores internal security system as a rather complex web of lasers spread its way throughout the airducts like tendrils.

"Hmmm, does this make me no better than the criminals if I evade detection?" the morally responsible Lexi would ask herself. This question would have to wait though as she heard the clattering from above. It seems at least a couple of the thugs found another way in so she'd have to deal with what she had in front of her.

"Here's goes something" Lexi would whisper, dashing towards an intersection of laser beams forming an X in her path. She'd slide to the right and then quickly scramble to her feet, lest she get detected by the next beam or the one placed just a few inches further. Of course, a few inches was a relative measure of distance at this point as the heroine herself would only be about that tall in height as she weaved her way amongst the menacing red beams, making the tiniest of thuds and thunks as she'd have to occasionally pin herself to the metal walls to sidle by.

As she got closer to her destination, she could hear voices growing louder, in some cases literally since the people gathered in the other room were likely giants to her now.

"Alrighty boys" the overly arrogant Roxie would state, her hips swaying as she paced about, a single .45 aimed at the other 2 men, moving side to side as if on a metronome, "who wants the first bullet? Don't worry, you all get one"

"For fucks sake, you're outnumbered, and we have more coming ..." one of the men would retort

"Oh? So you'd like to volunteer? Works for me...." the sure handed Roxie would giggle, gun held straight out as she cocked it with a click.

Lexi had a front row seat to this possible homicide as she peered through the grates of the air ducts from below. She was small enough to slip through them but what was her next play. She didn't have much time to decide. While Roxie did her song and dance, gloating as she paced back and forth, Lexi was closing the distance fast, lining herself up with the biker chicks shiny black leather boot.

"And a 1... and a 2..." Roxie would giggle, taking delight in playing with her prey. She'd finally rest her finger firmly on the trigger and ... miss? She never misses! Or at least she wouldn't have, except for a certain speeding mini-heroine who suddenly wasn't so mini.

Lexi er... ShrinkGirl had dashed into the young woman's boot with enough force to trip her up. Of course a 3 inch punch in the shin wouldn't do too much but she had begun the regrowth process upon striking the blow, knocking Roxie's aim off by a few inches and now stood at full height, having plowed her over. The other 2 men were stunned seeing the sudden appearance of this 20 something girl in purple and gold. What the hell was going on?

"What the hell is going on?" the other man would snap, seemingly angrier than the one who had just been shot at.

"The fuck, you think I know? Is she with you guys?" Roxie asked, pointing her other gun, a blue painted .45 in Lexi's direction.

"Now now, we don't need to take sides" Lexi would interject

"Nobody asked you!" Roxie retorted, wasting no time in taking a shot, and she'd probably hit too, except Lexi would yelp and shrink, seemingly invisible now as she blended into the conrete, briefly, leaving everybody, even the unshakable Roxie stunned. "What in the fuckin..."

Whilw Roxie seemed unfocused, one of the men would shove her to the side, which unfortunately trigger an alarm as enough of her weight leaned on the glass to set a small flashing light off.

"Shit, we gotta go!" one of the men stated, taking off and leaving Roxie a bit worse for wear.

Meanwhile, Lexi would cautiously tip toe around the precarious scene, navigating the circumference of the young woman's boot, a distance that could likely be covered in about 2 seconds if not for her tiny stature. As soon as she was close enough, she'd regrow herself and try to wrestle the red gun from Roxy's right hand while she had a chance but she neglected the fact that the villainess was dual wielding and quickly found herself at a disadvantage as the conniving Roxie had the silver blue barrel now pressed to Lexi's chin.

"So ... what do we call you, huh? Bug girl?" Roxie would smile, a wide toothy grin that implied mischief and horror.

"Wh-What do you mean?" Lexi asked, body shaking as her heart raced, the cold unfeeling steel of the gun's chamber resonating with her as it seemed to match the tenor of the cold woman in front of her.

"Oh don't play dumb ..." Roxie would smirk, raising an eyebrow, "it was actually kind of cute ... you doing your little ... well, little thing ... do it again, huh? Get nice and tiny ..."

At this point Lexi didn't know what to think. Was this a game? Was Roxie about to kill her? Was her name even really Roxie or did she just name her own motorcycle that? These are all things that raced through the troubled heroine's mind at that point.

"Cmon... just wanna see you do that magic trick again" Roxie repeated, her voice strangely calm, almost child-like as she continued to press the gun's barrel to Lexi's chin, "no pressure... okay, maybe a little pressure"

Lexi would give her a glare but her fear still showed clearly through her trepidation.

"Look toots," Roxie would shrug, her smile fading to a look of indifference, "we got maybe 5 ... 10 minutes tops til the cops show up ... I know how to deal with them ... I doubt you do ... you look like you're late for comic-con, no offense"

Lexi was tempted to return an insult about Roxie's over-stylized look but decided to keep it to herself, given the situation.

"Look, there's no way someone like you ... got in here ... with no experience and got through without tripping any alarms ... unless you did some crazy ass shit ... and what I just saw you do just now?" Roxie nodded, showing she had some intelligence to go with that snarkiness, "...that was some crazy ass shit ..."

"Why are you doing this?" Lexi would find herself asking, her head shaking nervously against the pressure of the gun, as beads of sweat were forming all along her body

"Doing what? Just looking for a good time" Roxie would shrug matter of fact, her other hand clenching her red .45 just in case. "Girl's gotta have some hobbies"

"B-But you're so young...." Lexi would reply, her voice almost broken as she seemed notably upset about this, "I ... I don't get why you'd...."

"What's there to get, cheer girl?" Roxie barked, taking the gun off Lexi's chin and now shoving her in the chest a bit, "yeah that's right, I noticed ... looks like standard issue cheer gear ... bet you went to some nice high school your parents paid for and you live a nice twinkly amazing life..."

To this Lexi would stammer, continuing to back away a bit.

"What's your name, bug girl?" Roxie asked, cocking the gun again and aiming it for Lexi's chest

"Huh?"

"What's your name, you fucking bitch or do I need to waste you?"

"Lexi! My name's Lexi!" Lexi would shout out loud, instantly regretting it, hanging her head as the sweat continued to pool, now dripping down her hair as her eyes would also pool moisture in the form of tears. She was terrified and her only way out may be to make the situation more terrifying for herself if she were to shrink.

"Well ... Lexi...." Roxie would smirk, taking slow methodical steps towards the colorfully dressed heroine, "maybe ... I kinda like you?"

"Huh?"

"Yeah" Roxie shrugged, "I mean ... if I didn't, you'd be splattered all over that wall by now ... so maybe I really like you ... or MAYBE I just wanna see what you'd look like as a cute little bug ... I know you can do it but you won't show me ... that's fine ... probably something you have to pay for, right? Maybe on your only fans page? Or MAYBE ... I'm just stalling you for time until the cops get here and I blame this all on you"

To this Lexi would turn and run, shrinking in the process, much to Roxie's delight.

"Nuh uh uh!" Roxie would smirk, using the barrel of her red .45 to bust open another glass case, she'd grab an overturned cup that had been used to display a watch and quickly pounce on the little heroine, trapping her in it like a plastic cup but sturdier.

Lexi would scream, seeing her own reflection on the glass walls. Now she knew how a fish felt.

"Hehehehehehe, this is great ... can I keep you?" Roxie giggled, carefully digging her gloved hand underneath the cup and acting as a "floor" for Lexi as she slowly raised the cup up and set her on a counter, just giggling down at her diminished foe.

"Soooo yeah...." Roxie would continue to gloat, her body casting a massive shadow over Lexi as her finger swarmed in and poked the glass prison, emitting several small shockwaves in reverbations, "I think we're going to stick with the name BugGirl for now..."

"It's ShrinkGirl!!" Lexi would squeak, her voice basically drowned out between being under glass and the fact that Roxie was relatively far away

"What was that? Can't hear ya but hey ... hit me up if you find a way out of this one ... maybe call me from prison!" Roxie would wink, making a mad dash for the exit as the blue and red lights outside began to form.

"Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck...." Lexi would think to herself, heart racing even more than before. Is this how it would end? Her first ever mission as a hero? Caught? Under a glass of all things? It was so generic and degrading and ... no. Not like this...

Looking around, Lexi realized she couldn't grow back ... not unless she wanted head trauma or worse from bursting through glass. She took a peek down at the floor as best she could. She wouldn't have much time to pull this off but she had to try. She'd throw herself at the glass surface as if she were a hockey player going for a check but come up short, groaning in pain as her shoulder and upper arm throbbed. She had succeeded in moving the glass maybe an inch though.

"Fuck ... there's no other way ..." she'd sigh, a bit too weakened to try that manuever again but she'd lean on the glass as hard as her little body could and try to push it further and further towards the edge of the counter. By now a few cops had poured into the building but they weren't likely to notice the slow moving glass on the counter so much as they were all the damage in the store and evidence of a gunfight.

"Just a little ... more...." Lexi groaned, pushing until she could see some light below her.

"Well..." Lexi thought to herself, "how fast can you shrink?"

She exhaled as she pondered her next move. It wasn't just shrinking, she would have to grow back so she didn't wound herself falling from the height of the counter, then quickly shrink back before she was spotted and try to get out the same way she came. At this point, setting off ANOTHER alarm (if she tripped the laser grid) wouldn't be as big a deal since ... well, the cops had already arrived on the scene.

No more stalling. It was go time.

Lexi would take a deep breath and feel the plunge as she let herself slide down a bit, growing back only for a moment to lessen the fall. That moment may have been just enough for someone on the police force to spot her though as she'd hear someone yell out, "hey you!"

Everything else became a blur from there as Lexi ran, shrinking herself as fast as she could but was it fast enough? She'd have no time to know as she simply slipped through the air duct grates and made her way back outside, noticing swarms of police cars.

Roxie's bike and presumably Roxie herself were nowhere to be seen at this point.

"Fuck..." Lexi thought, breaking down and leaning on a single loose brick among a pile of debris in the flickering alley by the police cars, "th-that was fucking awful..."

The tiny Lexi would slump off in defeat, unable to grow back and give away her location. The trek that ensued would feel like miles before she felt she was at a safe distance to switch sizes again, and even worse a series of very conflicting thoughts were battling in her head.

Why did I decide to do this? What was my plan if I had somehow been successful? Did the cops see me at all sneaking out? Why can't I stop thinking about Roxie?