- Text Size +
The leaves fell gracefully and gingerly from the trees in the cool but temperate environment of Miniborough University, creating an attractive swath of color on the faded green and gray surfaces of grass and pavement that littered the schools expansive landscapes.

It was autumn time, mid-October and one of Lexi's favorite times of the year. She loved the season of Autumn. Of course she also loved winter, with its cozy nights in, hot cocoa, Christmas and piles of snow to jump in. She also was rather fond of Spring, its promise of renewal, bloom and the calming, soothing colors that accompanied it. Now that she thought about it, Summer was equally as fun, with its scorching hot weather, allowing for cute and trendy summerwear, trips to the beach, shared fruity drinks with her friends and ... oh screw it, she liked all the seasons.

Things were definitely bustling in this time of year, for her, her friends and her new job at the Krazy Kookie shop, a rather popular hangout for students to grab a quick bite or a coffee in between classes or later during the day. Lexi would work there a few days a week, another favor cashed in by her college friend Chrissy who she had met earlier that semester in a bathroom stall. It's not as weird as it sounds... it's actually weirder.

What wasn't weird was the afternoon rush that was currently crashing down upon the understaffed shop, but thankfully everybody was prepared and well adjusted to handle this.

"We were so not prepared for this!" Lexi's boss, a high-strung 20 something named Stacy would quip, as she shuffled about in the kitchen behind the main counter. Lexi would come over briefly, hearing her boss stress out and nod, but also avert her eyes towards the growing line as a way to show that, while she was supportive, she would need her boss's help. "S-Sorry Lex ... we'll get em... and can I just say you really have been an asset here? It's only been a few weeks but you seem to keep the team together when things get really crazy and well, we appreciate that, we really do"

Lexi would nod and give her taller boss a smug and goofy grin as she'd salute her, her hand meeting the tip of her green visor as she'd go back to manning the coffee station. Funny enough, Lexi wasn't even a big coffee fan but from what she was told, she made a decent one, at least on those afternoons when their regular barista would call out and she'd have to fill in.

With the whole team banding together (what was currently there of them), things were going smoothly enough. Lexi was diligently keeping up with latte orders, while her coworker Melanie was working the register. Stacy was helping people who were picking out pastries and handing them to customers once they were all taken care of, and on the other side of the counter was a gathering of college students and prospective customers examining the menu, while one of them stuffed a pastry in his hoodie pocket and made a hasty getaway through the ... wait what?

Lexi would quickly scoot away from the coffee brewer for a moment and tap Stacy on the shoulder, drawing attention to the young man in the dark green hoodie.

"Stacy?" Lexi would whisper, "That guy over here..."

Stacy would sigh, already seeing it once she pointed it out.

"Sir?" Stacy would speak up, trying to get his attention, but even if he were foolish enough to turn back, her voice would likely be drowned out by the various crowd noise. Of course, Stacy and Lexi weren't the only ones wise to him, as a few other bystanders gave him annoyed looks and a couple even tried to grab at his hands which shielded his pockets from any examination. At this point he had already cleared the exit and there wasn't much that could be done. "...I appreciate you pointing it out Lexi, but there's not much we can do at this point unfortunately ... just kinda sucks because..."

Next thing Stacy knew, Lexi was no longer there, her green apron now hanging on the outside of the counter and the glass door swinging shut again as if somebody else had made their way out.

"Lexi?" Stacy would groan, already knowing her new "go-getter" employee was on the case, but at what cost?

Outside, the pastry thief would be walking at a fairly brisk pace, occasionally checking around his back to make sure nobody was on his tail. Although when he thought about it, what would they do? He stole a small cruller... he was short on cash, he wanted to have something to eat ... they couldn't prove it anyway.

Just in case, he tucked himself behind a couple of buildings, shrouded in some darkness before pulling out his stolen wares. He was about to unwrap the thefted baked good before a strange voice caught his attention. It wasn't strange for any other reason that it was seemingly very squeaky.

"Hey mister?"

"Huh?!"

There stood a brunette woman about 3 inches tall, looking up at him very pathetically and hapless. She wore a white t-shirt and a jean skirt, and in fact looked a lot like the stand-in barista from earlier, minus her green apron. "H-Hi..." she'd squeak, waving shyly, "I'm not gonna hurt you ... well, I mean look at me... how could I?" she'd let out a little giggle as she gazed up at the guilty college student, "What's your name?"

"Wh-What does it matter?" the freaked out college student would shake his head, still in utter disbelief. He had stayed up pretty late the night prior but this seemed like something out of one of those movies where the main character does too many drugs and starts seeing stuff. The gentleman would rub his hazel eyes briefly, brushing some of the unkempt hair away just to make doubly sure he was really seeing what he thought he saw.

"W-Well it matters to me..." the teeny tiny woman would reply, nodding with a sincere smile, "My name's Lexi if that helps ... I'm daring enough to give you MY real name, even though you could ... well, squish me?" she shrugged, not believing for a second the giant gentleman would but still having to point it out.

"I'm Trent..." the remorseful gentleman would respond, unable to look the woman in the eye despite their clear distance size wise.

"Okay, well Trent?" Lexi would squeak, stepping closer slowly, "I'm not going to ... like ... beg you to give that back but ... we both know you took it, right?" she'd nod, again trying not to be accusatory but also just firm.

To this, Trent would nod, still short of unwrapping the pastry entirely as his hands just kind of toyed with it a bit.

"I don't know you ... and you don't know me but I think it would be pretty awesome if you gave that back ... yknow?" Lexi would squeak giving him a warm smile upwards, "It doesn't cost a ton of money, true but a lot of us work hard to make those things and yknow... if they keep getting stolen, then the shop makes less and we can't afford to keep our awesome people employed, yknow? That kinda sucks ... and don't get me wrong, I know what it's like to not have much money ... I'm not exactly living the big life over here, huh?"

To this Trent would reluctantly snicker. It was more than a bit heartwarming to see this lady make light of her condition, and the whole thing felt strangely like the end of a corny Disney movie where some kind of moral was to be learned. In some strange way, the tiny Lexi was serving as his "shoulder fairy" despite not being on his shoulder, and not being a fairy ... if she even existed at all.

"I... I'm sorry..." Trent would sigh, re-wrapping the pastry.

"Hey ... it's okay ... I'm sure you have your reasons but ... I don't know... do what you gotta do, like I said, I won't judge you ... I just ... wanted to say hi ... thanks for not squishing me" Lexi would chuckle, before slowly taking her leave, but not before Trent shouted after.

"H-Hey ... miss?" Trent would shake his head, "I ... I don't really think I'm welcome in there again so ..."

With that he'd set the pastry down by Lexi, the entire thing being just bigger than her entire body. Lexi would nod and give him a thumbs up and a smile. "Th-Thanks..."

"S-Sorry again" Trent would nod, walking away with a hand on his head. He'd reach for his phone when he was a safe distance away, placing a phone call to a friend, "Oh my god, you are not going to believe what just happened to me"

On the other end would be a curious, but hard at work young man named Josh James.

"Oh? What happened?" Josh would ask.

Meanwhile Lexi would walk back into the cookie shop, back to normal size and holding the pastry. Stacy gave her an odd look but didn't even seem super surprised. In fact, this wasn't even the first time Lexi had prevented some kind of theft. She just wondered how she always did it without any confrontation or intervention from campus police.

"Lexi I have NO idea how you do it ..." Stacy would shake her head as the afternoon rush was beginning to slow.

"You just add a couple creams and sugars" Lexi would shrug

"You know what I mean..."

"You just talk to them, yknow?" Lexi would smile, "I think all people are inherently good on the inside and want to do the right thing at the end of the day"

"BANG BANG MOTHERFUCKERS!!" would argue a counterargument from the other side of town, later that night, the brash voice of a criminal who gave zero fucks as she'd shoot at a small crowd of thugs who pursued her.

Dazzling in both her athleticism and her tight taught body, the vigilantess would land atop some crates after firing the warning shots, laying there smugly as if to say "what took you so long" to the few rough and tough men who would flood into the blown out and adandoned apartment building.

"Now ... is it really my fault?" the woman would tsk, smelling the barrel of one of her twin guns as she leaned it against her face, "that I am so much better at your jobs than you are ...? I mean honestly... we're all looking for a piece of the pie, right? I just happened to get to the bakery first..."

With that, the cocky and arrogant young woman, and she was young, likely no more than 20, would stand atop her literal soap box ... well, crate. Her heels clacked with each step she took as it was clear stealth was not a concern to her. "So no hard feelings, okay?"

"Die, you bitch!" one of them would shout, tossing what appeared to be a small grenade her way. Even though the grenade was likely to miss her, as it whizzed past, the woman would tsk, reflexes quicker than her fast talking mouth as she seized the projectile out of mid-air and hurled it back, causing a frantic scream as it would detonate somewhere in the darkness.

"Nice talk, boys" she'd giggle, blowing them a kiss as she leapt off the crates and onto a conveniently parked silver and purple motorcycle, hastily revving up and making her getaway.

The tacky motorbike would predictably emit an ear piercing screech as it revved from 0 to 60 in a ridiculously short amount of time, leaving chaos and confusion in its wake while the swift young vixen made her way back to her hideout, another blown out apartment building where she could park her bike and slip in by removing a couple of well placed planks of wood.

Upon doing so, she'd sigh, letting her body hit the ground with as gentle a thud as could be expected and walk in slyly as if just returning from another 9-5 day at the office. As she'd walk, in addition to the clack of heels would come the very subtle hint of chains, echoing like wind chimes as she walked through her small but well stocked hideaway.

On the dingy walls would hang a few jacked up neon signs, a lava lamp on a makeshift table and a dart board ... just to stay in practice. She'd let out a tired yawn before a large and imposing German shepherd made its way into the room, eliciting an excited moan from the pups owner.

"Hiya Woof..." she'd giggle, rubbing the side of his face as she would then be careful to disarm her twin pistols and set them on a nearby dresser, now focusing her attention on the mutt. "How was your day? I gotcha something..."

She'd head to the small mini fridge and fetch out a steak which she would sling across the room, watching in amusement as Woof would go to town, mangling the piece of beef and letting out happy grunts. Feeling satisfied with her days work, she'd let herself collapse on a bright red beanbag and begin to doze, at least until hearing cop cars and more shooting from outside.

At this, she'd pry open a window and shout, "HEY, KEEP IT DOWN OUT THERE!! SOME OF US ARE TRYING TO SLEEP!!"