- Text Size +

The shine came off it rather quickly. And I'm not just saying that because I swallowed the sun. It seemed like a fitting resolution to the story, girl outgrows the world and snuffs out its light source for kicks. But like my unrelenting expansion, the story didn't end there no matter how much I wish it did.

As you can imagine, the circumstances that rendered me thusly are rather difficult to explain. No need to eat, no need to sleep, it's as though my body was perfectly preserved the instant my growth occurred, just... larger. Speaking frankly, I never would have predicted space breathing as part of the package, but then again, I never expected to go this far. I never planned to reach the upper atmosphere, to touch the moon, to step off the dying earth. I had planned to grow and have my fun, but no plan survives contact with DiDi Star, or so they say.

I've been drifting for what feels like weeks. It could be days, it could be months. I try to count the seconds but my mind wanders, Earth and all her people fade from my memory with every passing cluster of stars, the humble beginnings of my rampage seeming like distant lifetimes ago. I haven't set foot on terrestrial ground in so long, my weightless body feeling numb and disjointed, any sense of contact with the universe since abandoned as I plow through solar systems with indiscriminate abandon. These things tend to compound exponentially, and at the rate i've been growing, I'm probably close to leaving the Milky Way soon. 

It's lonely out here. I'm sure you can surmise that much, but I float on. I wonder how many planets have gotten tangled in my hair, how many stars have gotten caught in my gravitational wake, how many galaxies I've demolished simply by existing. The boredom is, as you can guess, excruciating. All this godly power and not a single thing to do. The view remains impeccable, nothing but the uninterrupted universe in every conceivable direction and I find that to somehow feel rather humbling. But it's only a matter of time until I dwarf that as well, the observable universe can only be so big and with no signs of my growth slowing any time soon, I'm on track to find that out for myself whether I like it or not. 

I have regrets, but its hard to feel bad about the Earth when, statistically speaking, I've probably doomed a few other sentient civilizations just by accident. I wonder what they must've thought, to see some unknowable space anomaly blip into existence and black out the sky just as quickly. How many fought back? How many tried to escape my unstoppable tide? How many succeeded? I don't know the answer to any of those questions, but I can hope what I hope. 


I think I might try to close my eyes again and sleep. I pray that if I do, I'll wake up somewhere else, before I destroyed my home. But I know those prayers will fall on deaf ears. I'm the only god around, and there's not a thing I can do but drift.