- Text Size +
"Don't worry ...." Lexi would happily hum, sitting in the passenger seat of her friend's car, "...about a thing ...."

"Yes yes we know..." Leah would roll her eyes and turn the channel off, "...every little thing will be alright ..."

"Hey I was jammin' to that ..." Lexi would giggle, "yknow? Like Bob Marley? Jammin..."

"Yes yes I know..." Leah would sigh, again trying to keep her friends overactive mind at ease. Although her own attention span wasn't exactly massive. In fact, in such slow moving traffic at this time of day, she was likely to hit --

"Leah --! the curb!" Lexi would shout out again, forcing Leah again to shift into an abrupt stop and start

"Ugh.... sorry Lex...." Leah sputtered, "I know you told me to be here like 10 minutes ago ... now we're hitting all the elementary school traffic..." she sighed, watching buses methodically start and stop as they'd pick up children every few houses or so. "Seriously, why can't they just like stop at the end of the street and get them all... why do this ...?"

Lexi shakes her head and sighs, briefly reminded of her mishap with the orange juice again as she looked down, then shook her head and turned up the radio again. "Awww man, we missed the song..."

"...and that was Three Little Birds by Bob Marley! Alright college students, who's ready for the opening of Mini U's fall semester?"

"Yah!! Whoo!! We are!" Lexi exclaimed, as Leah tried to resist sputtering out her strawberry lemonade Coollata on the ride from her best friends antics.

"Seriously, why do you respond to things on the radio or TV?" Leah asks, again the aftermath of her quick laugh resulting in another moist snort.

"The real question is why don't you .... are you ready for the cheer tryouts today?" Lexi yipped, "L-E-X-I.... oh shoot ..." she whimpered

"What's wrong?"

"My pom poms...." Lexi whimpered, rifling through her bag, "I was so excited last night I didn't throw them in the bag..."

"I'm sure they'll have some you can use" Leah smirks,

"Or I could borrow yours?" Lexi gives a cute smile, before looking in the back of the car. It was a bit of a mess but she didn't see the pom poms. In fact she didn't see ... ANYTHING cheerleader related. "Wh-Where are your pom poms? The ... the cute red and white ones..."

"Yeah ... Lex...." Leah bit her lip

"Awwww no cmon!" Lexi sighed, her face contorted into an uncomfortable grimace.

"I mean it was fun ... in high school Lex..." Leah sighed, "but ... I don't know ... I may wanna try some new clubs, maybe not? But I also couldn't bring em, yknow? I'm trying to pack light..."

"Pack light?" Lexi scoffed, "you have half our senior year in here ... you got the glasses we got from Six Flags..." she sighed, tossing them aside, "you've got left over candy wrappers and ...."

She fished out some buried paper from under some gym clothes, "what in the...."

The paper had been scribbled on furiously and scribbled over again. This was quite the sketch, with many revisions being made. "You kept this??" Lexi smiled.

"Huh? Oh well of course I kept that!" Leah blushed

"It's you as a super hero!" Lexi giggled, holding up the drawing of the figure all clad in purple and gold with an SG loosely on her belt. "But why purple? You don't like purple"

"W-Well ... you do ..." Leah sighed

"Oh... oh right ... that's suppose to be me...." Lexi giggles, seeing the picture a bit differently

"Suppose to be ... that IS you, Lex, cmon... it's ... it's totally you" Leah blushed, having not been the best at drawing figures.

"Hey, if you say it's me, it's me... I kinda like it .. you made me nice and busty" she winks, hugging it to herself, "I'm keeping this"

"You can keep it, figure you had one of the dozens we both drew as kids anyways ... remember ... we wanted to be superheroes who could shrink ..." Leah nodded, having time to recall such things as the traffic would slow to a crawl.

"Right ... and what was the name?" Lexi asked

"The Shrinking Girls!" both girls would exclaim in a doofy fashion

"Holy shit we were dorks..." Lexi sighed

"What do you mean were? and does your mom know you talk like that?" Leah tsked

"Omigod you heard that?" Lexi gasps of embarrassment.

"I didn't have to, I've met your mom... hope you finished all your veggies, Lexi..."

"Shut. Up!" Lexi grunted, momentarily taking on the took of a spoiled teenager before scoffing back, "At least my dad doesn't work for Mad Max...."

"Ugh please, you promised you wouldn't call him that ... besides, some of the ... science thingies look kinda cool...." Leah defended

"The science thingies..." Lexi smirked, "is that what they're going with now?"

While Leah's father, Dave wasn't exactly too high up on the totem pole at Enormo Enterprises, the one completely legitimate and not in any way shady scientific research facility that made Miniborough a bit peculiar when compared to other small midwest towns, it was Enormo's head scientist that most people knew about, even moreso than the company's owner ... who's ... name escaped most. Edward .... something or other. He wouldn't be important. But who WOULD be ... would be Dr. Maximillian E. Mumford ... now why does that name sound familiar? Probably just a coincidence.

Anyways ... for years Enormo Enterprises had kind of just ... existed as part of Miniborough. It was a place to work, a haven for potential employment. They hired engineers, scientists, chemists and more for the better part of 2 decades. But most people didn't really know WHY. Quite honestly, a lot of the residents of the town weren't sure what Enormo did. Some would tell you they specialized in little plastic doo-dads to protect your car, others would say they worked on some kind of cheap frozen dinners while others will still assert their biggest contribution to society is those teeny tiny little things on the ends of shoelaces. Still others would continue to tout conspiracy theory, some even as high as local journalists who would claim that Enormo, in addition to polluting the environment, and honestly that part was hard to contest, was conducting unethical and crazy experiements. They were building robots, high grade weapons, nuclear bombs?? Okay, so nobody knew exactly what they did but they were in touch with the towns few colleges and learning institutes, always looking for the finest new minds to work for them and uh ... develop more ... stuff.

Why is any of this relevant? Well to Lexi and Leah it mostly isn't ... well actually it is ... it might be. Leah's father, Dave Henderson worked as an accountant there, he wasn't the top of the tops but he wasn't nobody either, he had been there about 5 years, and while it wasn't for sure what Enormo DID design, there was always something, dating back to childhood that Leah hoped they DID design.

"You realize they don't make teeny tiny robots in there" Lexi would remind her

"You don't know that! They probably make all kinds of teeny tiny stuff in there and like ... I don't know ... DO teeny tiny stuff with them!" Leah would giggle, thinking about it again in all of its absurdity.

"Well if you wanna find out so bad, why didn't you volunteer to be their spokesperson for the big .... er ... thingy they do?" Lexi shrugged, referring to one of the seemingly countless recruiting or job fair type events the company would hold. "Surely the daughter of an employee could be used for that, they'd probably even pay you ... maybe give you your own teeny tiny hair clips or something..."

"Psh pass..." Leah giggled, "thankfully I got out of that one ... my BROTHER on the other hand..." she shrugged as she continued to cruise in towards the school.

For now, that conversation would have to be put on pause, for at that very moment, another one was taking place, and it was somewhere far far up the stairs of that accursed building. Behind those doors would reside Dr. Trevor Hoffnung, Max's second in command basically, as well as a few other shareholders, including Dave Henderson and Leah's brother, Derek who had fought like hell to get out of this.

"We are very happy to have this opportunity with the upcoming fall semester and in collaboration with Mini-U to recruit our minds of the future ... just think of the engineering, scientific and ...." Trevor began, always a grandiose man in his gestures and wordplay. Unfortunately not everyone was as enthused. One such person was the 19 year old Derek.

"Pass...." Derek shrugged, rolling his eyes, prompting a quick and harsh elbow from his adjacent dad.

"Cmon, Derek ... you said you'd give this a chance in exchange for not being grounded for hitting my car with your skateboard...." Dave would retort under his breath,

"Why didn't Leah have to do any of this? She hits your car like every day .. it's just your old car...." Derek groans,

"Cmon, this will be a good opportunity for you ... besides, you said you liked our Enormites, remember??" he asked

"Yeah, when I was like 12 ..." Derek sighed

"If you're having a familial issue, Mr. Henderson..." a stern voice piped in, belonging to neither of the higher ups speaking. Instead it came from the 32" TV monitor on the wall and it belonged to a fuzzy image of the man himself, Dr. Max. "...perhaps you take it outside ... we don't need any further distractions, I'm afraid..."

"Works for me..." Derek shrugs, about to turn around and leave before being reeled in by his aggravated father.

"N-No sir ... and we do appreciate you making the time for this meeting, it's our pleasure every year ..." he'd stammer

"That's enough with the chitting chat...." the aggravated Dr. Max would interject, "There'll be time to make pleasantries later ... hopefully not ... anyway ... this year we have progressed further than ever with project Delta and in addition to the usual hullabaloo of a new hiring season, we are hoping to have these new prototypes live by early next year .... and ... again, a hand raised... okay... what is it?"

The hand raised would belong to another gentleman who appeared a bit hagrid, perhaps in his 60s at this point, "Um ... with all due respect, Mr. um... Doctor -- ... Max sir? Hadn't you mentioned we were on track for this project ... last year ... and even ... a little bit ... the year before that?"

After an awkward pause and a cough from nobody in particular followed a response from the Doctor who either needed to contemplate these words further or suffered from a laggy internet connection.

"Again! Who are you?" Maximillian asked

"Um... I'm Joseph sir ... I've been with your company since day one ..."

"Did I ASK how long you were here?" Max asked sarcastically. Joseph simply diminished in his seat. "No... I did not ask, although we're all FASCINATED to hear that you've been here for so long ... perhaps we prepare a CAKE or some kind of CELEBRATION for this grand accomplishment, would that be to your liking, Jacob?"

"Um ... Joseph ... Doctor ..."

"Oh how terribly shameful of me! Let us cancel this whole meeting over these hurt feelings!" the arrogant doctor paused. Everyone in the room grew dead silent, even Derek, although he was likely still scrolling through girls on his iPhone on OkCupid. Rather than carry on with the clearly unprofessional tirade, Joseph as it were would be removed from the seat at the smaller conference, taken away by a taller man in a black suit, the kind you may expect to see in a presidents secret service. "Any more QUESTIONS?"

After enough time had passed, Max's disgruntled image made an eye motion towards the in-person attendee and leader of the conversation Dr. Trevor Hoffnung yet again.

"And I think this is an excellent place to introduce the theme for this years campaign and project, yes it is indeed NOT the time for questions but the time for ANSWERS!" Trevor would segway into his point aggressively and confidently. To some people's surprise even the mouthy Dr. Maximillian didn't have a retort prepared to take the wind out of Trevor's proverbial sails ... yet.

"So ... the Enormite as I believe I heard someone mentioning?" Trevor would wave a friendly hand over towards Dave who would sheepishly wave as if this were part of the demonstrate, "the Enormite has been one of our most well known object for a number of years now... capable of over a dozen everyday office tasks..."

"It's just a binder clip..." Derek would mutter and chuckle to himself. Trevor would opt to ignore the small outburst, Max seemed a bit more upset.

"I'm sorry, what is this? What is this he says? Just a ... just a BINDER CLIP?!" Maximillian would retort

"Um.... all due respect Dr. Max, we've ... we've ALREADY gotten off on quite a tangent..." Trevor would attempt with all of his might to steer the conversation back, "and surely ... surely EVERYONE on the board would agree that the Enormite is much more than a mere BINDER CLIP!" Trevor would nod, trying to channel some positive energy into the room. Despite Max's best efforts, it seemed to be working as even the more stone faced members of the board would nod, each one of them having a decently sized "Enormite" at their desk.

What was an Enormite? One might ask? One of the few things Enormo made that people actually HEARD of. Taking on the appearance of a paper clip that had been half bent of shape, the enormite was fairly handy at taking on other shapes, growing a bit longer than it's appearance would suggest and even shrinking a bit smaller to fit as a small "paper hole" if needed. It was fairly basic but made of an advanced liquid metal that made it very useful for everything from ... yes binder clips to stapling, paper clips, or even just a fidget toy to hold onto if your hands needed to be occupied. It wasn't going to revolutionize anything but it was perhaps the ONE thing that Enormo got right and was in almost everybody's homes in the small town.

"When our great ... genius even!" Trevor would glow, to further appease his maniacal boss, "when our great genius boss Dr. Maximillian references Project Delta, he is speaking of things that will expand even this to great new heights, even literally ... now if you'll turn to page 37 in the packets we've handed out, you'll see great success from our last testing groups conducted over the summer...."

As pages were busy shuffling, including that of Dave Henderson, his teenage son would just shrug and mutter, "...it's still just a binder clip"