- Text Size +
This story would begin like so many others, with a bang and a spark and a crack! Electricity scrapes cold unfeeling steel as a figure leapt across, mere moments from being turned into nothing more than a disintegration.

"Don't let her get away!" the scientist would cackle ; he was an evil scientist. The kind you'd see in most Saturday morning cartoons but he took his hunt very seriously. After all, he was finally on the verge of catching that which eluded him to this point. And nothing eludes the gaze of the pragmatic, effervescent and slightly overdressed Dr. Maximillian E Mumford.

At this point it was only a matter of time.

Our main heroine knew she was cornered, or at least that she would be. One hallway led to another, led back to the first, led to another. Sounds of clanging doors in the distance signaled her deepest fears being confirmed. She was being contained. She still had room to run but it was at HIS allowance. He called all the shots for the time being and that would be bad enough if not for the snarling and hissing of anthromorphic metalmuck as it crawled its way towards her from all sorts of angles.

"Oh shoot, I did not wear the right shoes for this" the vagabond damsel decried, her face worn with sweat, her purple sneakers a bit scuffed. She wanted to collapse. She wanted to cry. How did she let things get to this point? She looked to the left and the right and presented to her were a pair of passageways, almost like a sick carnival game. Which way would she pick? Would it even matter?

"Left..." she mutters, barely audible and makes her way through it. Another slap, like a metal gate ... or a mouse trap.

"I'm not giving up on you, Leah..." the brunette would mutter in determination, fists bared as she began her next step but not before a slimy recoiling tendril of liquid steel restrained her right arm in place. She yanked against it hard but it recoiled with her like a stubborn rubber band, "Owwwwww!! Hey!"

"Give up now ... ShriiiiinkGirl...." the overly confident scientist would announce through a loudspeaker. "Give up now and you may at least get to see her fate!"

"Ooh you'd like that, wouldn't you, Mad Max?" the heroine quipped, quick to get up and leave nothing but a severed robot limb still clinging onto her.

I never should've let things get to this point, Lexi pondered, I should've just told her the truth sooner ... it might not have helped though ... would she even have believed me? Do I even believe this, even so much time later?

What Lexi had meant of course was the story of how this all began ... it had been about 4 months ago .... in the sleepy town of Miniborough Minnesota.

Alexis would be just waking up, right on time.

"Shoot I'm late!" she flopped out of bed, having just missed the alarm which persisted as it showed "6:35 am" on its plastic plated face. After stirring for just a moment she'd be fine, putting on her clothes, brushing her teeth and being ready for her first day of college.

"Alexis hon?" her mom asked, seemingly right on cue, "Are you ready for your first day of college?"

"Duh yeah mom...." Lexi answered, a sort of goofy smirk on her face. Sure it would be a challenge but she loved challenges and meeting new people and her cat ... Tiny. Oh shoot, where was the little ball of fluff? Moving on ...

She'd head down the stairs. Her backpack thankfully already slung around the bannister of the staircase ... wait ... where was it?

"Mom?" Lexi stuttered, "where's my backpack? I had it right here, along with all the books I'd need for ..."

Before she could finish her question she saw her dad heading out the door to work, his briefcase obscuring something else in his arm.

"Dad!" she scoffed, catching up to him in the nick of time, to see her backpack bearing the initials AEC hanging in his arm.

"Oh I'm sorry hon...." he chuckled nervously, relinquishing the errant backpack, "I've been in such a hurry ... working late hours again, y'know..."

"Yes Yes I know ...just glad you didn't water the plants with coffee again..." she sighs, much to her dad's chagrin.

"That was a one time thing and... anyway..." he sighed, looking at the clock in his car, "I'm going to be late ...are you sure you don't want a ride to campus? It's right on the way?"

"Appreciate it but no thanks...Leah's picking me up today," Lexi would reply with a smile.

"Oh right, she got that nice car for graduation ... you sure she doesn't mind giving you a ride again?" Lexi's dad would caution

"What do you mean again?" Lexi asked quizzically, "it's the first day..."

"Well yeah but ...then you had the first day of summer, first day of July ...first day of last week..."

"Okay okay, I ask for a lot of rides, I get it" Lexi huffed, seeming none too amused. So far this debacle had already consumed much of her time. In fact she could see Leah now ... or hear her anyway, commandeering her mom's old car, the hand me down 2007 Toyota Corolla as it roared up the lane. "Now go to work ... we'll talk later okay?"

"Okay okay sweetie, have a great first day" he gives her a warm smile and a kiss before driving off slow.

"Oh shoot, breakfast, I didn't even eat ..." Lexi stammers as she would dash back into the house, graceful as ever, scooting up to the table and sneaking a few sips of orange juice. "Let's see.. at Leah's current rate of driving and the speed of traffic right now, I've got about 3 minutes and 27 seconds until ..."

Before Lexi could finish her sentence however, Tiny the cat had other thoughts, coming barreling through underneath said table in a successful attempt to disable her legs for a moment sending her crashing to the floor, wearing most of the contents of the glass of orange juice. "Aw shit!" she'd exclaim.

"Alexis!" her mother would retort from nearby.

"People my age say 'shit' mom... I'm sorry" Lexi would shrug, orange juice dripping down the front of her blouse, "oh geez... just perfect..."

She'd hear the straining horn of Leah's car and get up slow, heading back towards the door.

"Aren't you going to change your shirt?" her mom would ask

"Eh, no time ... at least I'll smell citrusy fresh" Lexi sighed, heading out the door to meet her approaching friend in her car.