- Text Size +
The year was 2005 and a young Leah and Lexi were watching Peter Pan ... well kind of. Leah was trying to watch while a hyperactive young Lexi was running around her in a circle, hugging a blanket and throwing specks of popcorn in her hair.

"Would you cut that out?" Leah would snap with a loud giggle, getting up to push Lexi before suddenly a familiar face appeared on the screen.

"Wait! Wait! Wait!" Lexi would giggle, pointing to the screen, "Tink..."

And that's when one of the few things that could calm hyperactive Lexi down would appear. The wondrous, sparkling and larger than life Tinkerbell. Okay, so maybe larger than life wasn't exactly accuate but Lexi, and to a lesser degree, Leah loved the little fairy whenever she would appear on screen. She especially enjoyed Tinkerbell's most memorable quote. It went something like this.

...

Anyways, Leah and Lexi would watch Peter Pan almost every weekend for a whole winter it seemed. Then they'd play leprechauns during the spring time. They'd re-enact Alice in Wonderland every so often during their childhood. See a pattern?

While they had many other things in common, best friends Lexi and Leah had a strange interest in size changing and shrinking in particular. They'd often imagine one or the other being tiny and going on all kinds of strange adventures. It was one summer where Leah would scribble up the idea of The Shrinking Girls, a duo named Lexi and Leah who would shrink and grow, beating up bad guys and spouting all the Saturday morning catchphrases you could handle like "It's shrinkin' time!" or "Looks like you just hit the small time"

That was the past though, and fantasy very rarely becomes reality, no matter how wide eyed and even naive young, and even older Lexi could be. It was all meant to stay in the past. Just a silly fantasy. Never meant to come to pass.

Then why was it, she ... Lexi, the girl who tried to make everyday into a Disney type fantasy found herself in the middle of a fantastical nightmare? Staring up at her pale gray ceiling trying to ignore the fact that her body still involuntarily twitched and shook. Every now and then she could feel her limbs receding a bit ... was she trying to shrink or just making awkward attempts to get more comfortable in bed? Neither possibility brought her much comfort.

Still, as she swam in her anxiety, there was another voice in her head and another feeling in her heart.

"Lex, you wanted this your whole life ..." the voice said, presumably coming from her inner child and inner self, "you wanted to shrink ... you wanted to be able to shrink STUFF, you made a character with your bestie called the Shrinking Girl! This is your time, go out there and stand tall ... er ... you know what I mean, sorry ..."

Lexi would let out a dejected sigh.

"I don't know if I can do it, inner voice..." the defeated Lexi would sigh as she schlupped over to the right side of her bed.

"You CAN do it! Remember what Tinkerbell said ..."

"Tinkerbell didn't talk!" Lexi would overreact, although not vocally. This was a very surreal mental moment after all.

Truth is, every hero ... hell every person ... has had that moment when they doubt themselves. When they're granted an opportunity and no matter how grand it is, they question if they can actually do it. Or if they actually WANT to do it. Here Lexi was, presented with a possibly horrible curse ... but also potentially an awe-inspiring gift.

As her fingertips crackled from beneath the blankets, Lexi slowly sat up.

"I'm not going to let my moment of doubt be my moment of definition" she'd utter

With that, the still nervous but confident girl would step out of bed, take a few steps towards the mirror and give herself a bit of a sheepish smile.

"Okay Lex..." she'd whisper to herself, raising both arms above her head, "let's see what you can do ..."

She'd exhale again, drop the arms and give herself a nervous grin, "w-well here I am ... same size as before ... maybe it was a fluke?"

At that, she would dip again, shrinking to a little under 4 feet tall, a good amount under the summit of her dresser.

"Not a fluke! Not a fluke!" she'd think before regaining her composure, planting her feet firmly on the ground, feeling the surge again but in an empowering way, an enlightening way. She'd apply a little pressure to her right foot, almost as if hitting the gas on a car and restore the rest of her height, standing again at 5'4, her tank top only a little disheveled from the transition.

"Gotta work on the clothes ..." she muttered to herself, feeling the fibers of the tank top in her thumb and index finger as she follied with them, "I was able to shrink my clothes with me sometimes ..." she thought to herself.

Thought ... thinking ... thoughts ... wait, maybe that was it...?

"Is it as simple as thinking of it?" she thought

Testing this theory, she'd press on the strap of her tank top again, and although it was slight she could see tiny sparks emit from the surface. "S-So I can shrink ... the clothes? or myself? So ... pr-probably ... both?"

She'd breathe again, wondering why this newfound ability didn't include a user manual and she'd take a long breath, and then another, and then another.

"Holy crap!" the voice in her head awoke, "it's working!"

What was working was the fact that Lexi was dwindling with each breath ; her size, and more importantly, that of her clothes, dwindling in synchronicity. After just a dozen or so breaths, Lexi would find herself at the 3 inch size she was at the lab, except without the same stress as that horrific escape.

Now that she was at her new reduced stature, Lexi would notice a great many things. "My room is a bit bigger than I thought and also ... I REALLY need to clean up under here..."

She'd take a few awkward steps forward, her mind still spinning from the prospect of exploring her own bed from this new perspective. The sights of balled up socks and old dusty notebooks would become things of legend. One sock ball would equal her in height and appear as stalwart as a sturdy boulder.

It was after a few moments she felt an uneasiness set in.

She wasn't alone.

There was no other person in the room with her but she suspected she knew what other creature resided alongside her.

"H-Here Tiny..." she'd fearfully utter out loud, her sight not really adjusted to this new level of darkness such as a cat's would be. She could only hear his low menacing growl ... or perhaps it was a meow. She could perceive the feline's presence but was incapable of sensing his exact location and at her current mouse size ... that could prove to be quite troublesome.

Then came the thunder.

The tiny girl would be struck with the force of a freighter, a beleaguring blow delivered by the feline featherweight who was no longer so light on his feet compared to his diminished opposition.

"Tiny?" Lexi whimpered, now hobbled on her side as the cat licked his lips and tilted his head when confronted by the sight of his owner now below him. "Tiny... it's me ... it's Lexi ..."

Lexi wasn't sure she was quite ready for this test and so her legs began to frantically find ground to run on as she pulled herself up. She wasn't wounded, but she definitely had the wind knocked out of her for a second by his intitial pounce. Still he had shown some restraint by not using the full length of his claws or pinning her outright, something he was more then capable of doing.

Lexi would desperately scramble towards what little light shone through the cavity between the floor and her bedskirt.

Worse yet, she'd feel the furry feline's ferocious frenzy as he attempted several consecutive swipes at her exposed ankles.

Finally feeling brave enough to at least address her catagonist, she'd turn, although by now she was far enough out from under the bed to attempt growing.

"Tiny!" she'd snap again, except this time her size would back it up as she slowly grew back to her normal height, tank top staying on. "Huh. That worked. Neat"

Tiny backed away, appearing scared now. Imagine stalking a "mouse" only to have it outgain you in size in seconds. Surely the tables had turned but it wasn't Lexi's intent to frighten the poor thing.

"Awwww cmon, you didn't know ..." Lexi would smirk softly, stroking her feline friend as best as she could while he retreated to his stay under the bed, "I'd probably try to eat me too..."

She'd sigh now and decide to leave her faithful feline alone as he seemed to be licking his proverbial wounds. Oh wait, he was ACTUALLY licking himself. Hey, he's a cat. That's not really that weird.

"Huh. Only 8 o clock on my first day of school and I'm at home alone with my cat..." Lexi sighed, her parents both out late and her newfound friend Chrissy having dropped her there despite protests to the contrary. "I really do owe that girl a milkshake or something ... or maybe my phone number..."

Lexi would finally exit her bedroom after much time within, only to to be greeted by a knocking at the door. "Oh?" she'd blush, still wearing just a tank top and black panties, she'd duck back into the security of her room before emerging with the Miniborough themed pants that Chrissy had bought her.

"Um... hello?" the cautious Lexi would ask, approaching the door but keeping her distance until she could see who it was better. It was Josh

He would wave awkwardly through the window just by the door until Lexi would pry it open enough.

"H-Hey ... I uh ... just uh ..." Josh would stammer but that wasn't even close to the weirdest thing about this interaction. That would be the contents of his hands which held her jeans from before, her cell phone and ... her bra?
"...thought you might want your stuff back ... umm... probably think it's weird I came to your house but ..."

Lexi would give him an uncomfortable smile. She did INDEED think it weird but she was also somewhat relieved. In the aftermath of the accident she hadn't even thought about her cell phone. The other clothes were likely unsalvagable anyhow and ... well, it couldn't be helped that her bra and panties ended up in the fray, confusing enough as it had been that Josh was holding them.

"Hey... um ... heh... thanks" Lexi would reply, not being sure of what else to say, "I uh ... thanks"

"No problem" Josh would reply, a strangely heartwarming smile on his face, "Y-You're probably wondering how I knew it was you"

Lexi would gently seize the belongings back and reveal her phone to him which thankfully still had 15% charge and a picture of her and Leah as the cover photo, "...I could probably guess"

"I realize I could've just ... waited until I saw you on campus tomorrow..." Josh sighed, scratching the back of his head with an embarassed grin, "but then ... returning a girl's clothes in public? Kind of looks ... sketchy..."

"Yeah! Yeah no, I ... uh ... I getcha" Lexi would giggle a bit

"So I hope you don't mind but I saw your name on the tour roster and of course I knew you from Leah and well ... meeting you so I uh ... googled your address and ..."

"You GOOGLED me, you monster!" Lexi would say with a smirk, but she meant no harm by it. Josh luckily could understand and take the joke.

"I also just ... wanted to make sure you were okay..." Josh nodded

"I appreciate that" Lexi would blush, looking away for a bit, "but ... yeah ... I'm ... I'm okay ... relatively speaking ... but yeah... I mean, why wouldn't I be?"

What followed was an awkward pause between the two that likely only lasted a few seconds but came off feeling like much more than that.

"...Right. The clothes in the field. And the cell phone" Lexi would bluntly say out loud.

"Heh ... yeah ... and uh ... maybe text your friend Leah back" Josh would add, "she's worried about you"

"Oh shit, right! What did you tell her?" Lexi would ask

"I uh ... actually ... didn't tell her ... I think I was getting on her nerves..." Josh would grimace and shrug. "But the important thing is you're safe"

Lexi would smile and open the door fully, coming out to hug the helpful new friend, Josh.

"Thanks again ... I ... I really mean it, I just seem a bit out of it right now" Lexi would nod and nervously chuckle

"Nah nah I get it... been a ... weird day ... I did more studying up on Enormo by the way..." Josh would add, drawing an understandable lurch from Lexi

"Ummmm, you mind if we ... DON'T talk about that company right now??" Lexi would nervously giggle as she shrank back into the doorway. After all, shrinking was something Lexi did quite well.