- Text Size +
"I can't believe you roped me into this ..." the suddenly maligned Lexi would mumble, head down as she paced the copper coated tiled floors of the Enormo Enterprises headquarters. "...this is going to be so stupid, Leah ... I mean cmon ..."

"So much for positivity..." Leah muttered under her breath, although she too wasn't exactly thrilled for the impending tour. As the duo walked towards the site of the tour, Leah tried to lighten the mood by pointing out a lifesize sculpture of an Enormite, and it was one with many edges and bevels, along with crazy twists. In fact, it seemed more advanced than anything the company had actually put out. "Hey, let's get a picture with the Enormite display!"

"Pass" Lexi smirked, shaking her head as she hoisted her loaded backpack up yet again, feeling the weight of the things inside. "I'm gonna end up cutting out of here early anyway..."

"Oh right, when do the cheer tryouts start?" Leah asked

"About 5 o clock ..." Lexi nodded, "I've packed everything in here so I can hopefully just sneak off and change before heading down ... lucky me that this place is within walking distance of campus..."

"Hello there ladies" a strangely confident, if not overly excited voice would state, belonging none other than to Josh who walked up between them, putting his arm around both as if he knew them. Upon getting a bit of an uncomfortable look from Leah, he stopped. "S-Sorry ... well hey, isn't this neat?" He looked over towards Leah with a goofy grin, "I remember you from the club signups but who's your friend?"

"You could just ask me" Lexi chuckled, "I'm Lexi, nice to meet you"

"Josh" he'd answer, shaking her hand rather vigorously. The young man certainly had enthusiasm. "You both here to see what really goes on here?"

"What ... really goes on?" Lexi asked, with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh please don't get him started with the goo ..." Leah rolls her eyes as the group would further advance down the hallway, following signs for the guided tour as more college students slowly gathered around them.

"Ah welcome prospective scientists of the future" the confident booming voice of Dr. Hoffnung would ring out. The man stood at about 6 feet tall with a finely buttoned up white lab coat, underneath which he had on a black button up shirt and an Enormo Sr. Scientist badge clipped to this right breast pocket, "My name is Dr. Trevor Hoffnung and I will be your guide on this fascinated journey through Enormo's fine history ... Enormo Enterprises was founded in 1992 by our CEO Edward Enormiaggio"

"So THAT was the guy's name!" Lexi would exclaim in a hushed whisper

"Throughout our run here ..." Dr. Hoffnung would continue, "Enormo Enterprises has made great strides in everything from ballistics to food supply shortages to robotics and much much more, in fact we are on the verge of some very exciting ... yes, young lady in the back?" Trevor would pause, addressing a wayward hand that went up, belonging to none other than Alexis Cole.

"What exactly does your company do?" she'd ask, half joking but also somewhat serious. Some of the tour takers would chuckle a bit at the straightforward nature of the question.

"No no... that is a perfectly valid question" Trevor nodded, attempting to dissuade any of the skepticism from the other tourists. "Enormo has been working for decades on perfecting nano technology ... including metals that can actually grow and shrink to fit users needs and other technological advancements that can ..." the suddenly exasperated scientist would pause upon seeing Lexi's hand raise again, "....yes, young lady?"

"I was told we'd all get free samples of Enormites? Is that true?" Lexi would ask with a bit of a snort in her voice, causing a larger group to burst into silent laughter. This time the Doctor was less so amused.

"MOVING ON ..." he would say in a stern voice, leading the group towards their first destination. Josh would give her a sheepish shrug as he passed by but Leah seemed less entertained.

"C'mon Lexi, you said you'd give this a chance..." Leah sighed, with a bit of disdain in her voice

"Okay first ... never said I would ... second? This is stupid! Look, I doubt there's any killer robots or ... goo ... in this place but there IS something about this place I've never trusted or liked ... and you know I'm right" Lexi shakes her head

"I ... I don't know ... but ... sometimes I'd just like to form my own opinions on things" Leah sighed, drawing a bit of a confused reaction from her best friend.

"Huh? Leah, no ... I didn't mean that ..." Lexi stammered

She'd follow along with the tour, unable to help feeling a little guilty if she had somehow hurt Leah's feelings.

As the group were led from the larger hallway into a more contained facility, Josh couldn't help but take out his camera phone and snap a couple pictures of some of the lab equipment, raising suspicion from security who would end up taking the camera phone altogether.

"Hey, what are you doing?" a suddenly defiant Josh would ask.

"No photography I'm afraid..." Dr. Hoffnung would explain, "you'll get it back at the end of the tour..."

"Oh yeah, there's nothing shady about that ..." Lexi would mutter under her breath, drawing another set of rolled eyes from Leah.

"First, let me tell you what a pleasure it is today to introduce you to our lead scientist and someone we have to thank for many of the wonderful advancements our company has made over the years ... ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, please welcome our head of science ... Dr. Maximillian Mumford" Trevor would nod, almost showing deference as the shorter but distinguished man made his way to the forefront.

Dr. Max stood at about 5'8, wearing a much thicker lab coat and what appeared to be a very scratchy dark green dress shirt underneath. If one didn't know any better you'd think the Doctor of Science was preparing for another ice age. In addition to this, a set of goggles lay atop his grizzly face, his eyes appearing drawn and tired even as he carried a certain air of confidence, bordering past arrogance.

"Ah, look at all the young scientists..." Dr. Max would announce, his voice slow and robotic as if he had thoroughly rehearsed this speech. The meandering man would pace around a bit, first looking at the tour group before going over to a table with some tools on it, "You're all familiar with this, right? Enormite? Well what if I were to tell you, it's not just the name of the product but also the element that comprises it...?"

The entire group stayed fairly silence, with the exception of Josh who appeared to lean in with some interest.

"Okay then ... clearly you are all stunned by what you are seeing" Max nodded, a certain pride gleaming in his eye.

"Yeah that must be it ..." Lexi would scoff to herself

"Now behold how the magic is happening" Maximillian would again boast, using a small syringe to collect some of what appeared to be a milky viscous liquid, teeming with life. "Enormite is the life blood of so many of our machines here"

"I thought machines didn't have blood" Lexi would whisper, eliciting a rude shush from a cohort to her right. "Psh, tough crowd, tough crowd"

"Just imagine, this is used as both a fuel source and a creation all its own" the eccentric doctor would explain as he used the syringe to inject the metal into another sample, a sort of dormant little metal cube. The cube would begin to move just a bit, emitting a few sparks, akin to static electricity. "You all may want to back away for this one" The Doctor would joke.

"I'll take my chances..." Lexi whispered

"Now watch as we enhance the Enormite with some radiation... perfectly safe I assure you" Dr. Max would add, exposing the cube to some kind of warbling light from a sterile white plastic syphoning gun. After a few moments, the cube would twitch and shake a bit, but not much else what happen. The Doctor would let out a bit of a frustrated "ahem" but then try to recover "Well then ..."

"Ummm question..." Lexi piped in. Trevor looked a bit worried about this, "Was that uh ... suppose to happen?"

The crowd fell silent and the disgruntled elder scientist looked into the crowd, "Who ... who is saying this?"

"Um...." Trevor would stammer, not really sure where to go from here. He was so use to having to defuse Max's short temper but in this case, it would seem things may have gotten too out of hand. Nobody talked back to Maximillian E Mumford after all.

"You! In the back! The ... the girl!" Max would shout out, exposing Lexi front and center as many worried colleagues departed her side.

"Oh uh ... me" Lexi would nod, "Um... y-you shouldn't have ... I mean, I'm not the only girl here but ..."

"Do you always do so much talking?" Dr. Max would retort, "maybe if you spend some time LISTENING ... you may LEARN something ... regardless, you are dismissed..."

"Huh?"

"DISMISSED!! GO!! JETZT!" Dr. Max would exclaim

"Wait, what, you want me to take a jet? What the ..." Lexi would ask

"Get out of my lab! You are off the tour!" Maximillian would shake his head, muttering something as he walked away, "I cannot educate the youth of today if they are so petulant ... she is not here to learn, she is here to joke..."

"Maybe I want to learn what ACTUALLY goes on here ..." Lexi muttered under her breath. Leah gave Lexi a really disappointed stare and just mouthed the word "go". Lexi's expression would droop and she'd just walk away, going back out through the automatic door that she came through. As the rest of the group would slowly resume the tour, Josh would stay behind to try to find the disgruntled Lexi who was slow to make her way out.

"H-Hey ... just so you know ..." Josh would say, "I think that guy was really harsh on you ... I mean I thought some of the stuff you said was funny and his experiment definitely didn't go to plan"

Lexi looked a bit more upset though. Not that she had upset the crazy scientist guy, but that her friend Leah seemed deeply upset with her. She hadn't meant to cause so much trouble, but she did appreciate this new guy at least trying to comfort her.

"Th-Thanks ... Josh, was it?" Lexi would give him a forced smile, to which he would nod. "Wh-Why don't you go back on the tour? I know you were looking forward to it ... maybe you'll uh ... find that strange goo you were looking for or whatever"

"No doubt, and hey ... hope to see you around campus, you seem pretty cool" Josh would nod, heading back towards the group. Lexi would again give him a smile, although as soon as he was out of view, she was sure to start booking it.

She then stopped though. Something was telling her that something was off about all of this. While the tour group had continued down one hallway, it seemed they were only really being shown a few different rooms in the facility. Since the area was now vacated, Lexi decided, against her better judgement to maybe see where some of the other doors went.

Upon re-entering the lab she had just been dismissed from, she decided to take a closer look at Max's cubic sample from before. To her surprise, even though it still wasn't doing much, the piece of metal was showing some signs of shrinking and growing. She'd raise an eyebrow to this before noticing one of those bulky "secret service" types walking off again in another direction.

"No way that dude works here..." Lexi would think to herself, slipping through another automatic door that led to a long hallway. The gentleman she had been tailing was now gone and there was no clear direction on where to go, just several doors belonging to employees as offices or a few research labs with locked doors.

After taking a long trek down a few more corridors she'd sigh.

"Lex, what are you doing?" she'd ask herself, "this place is shady ... we all know it is but there's only so much difference I can make about it ... plus I should probably get ready for the cheer tryouts ... there's gotta be a bathroom in this place. Upon turning back to find one, she'd hear some loud walking heading in her direction, the faint but growing echo of a man's studded boots hitting the floor. It was that thug again ... I mean, the secret service guy!

"Oh great ..." Lexi would whisper to herself, not wanting to be seen by him, she ducked down a stairwell and went down a floor, but still heard walking coming from both the level above and the door to the 2nd floor. Heart now racing she'd go down another level still, this time the door a bit harder to open but she pulled on it hard enough to come out to ... another hallway of generic doors.

"Would it kill them to put a map in here?" she'd ask herself, shaking her head as she made her way down this hallway. It seemed much much quieter in this area, with a lot of the offices having dimmed lights and nobody inside. She could hear some buzzing sounds from inside some of the locked lab doors, as if experiments were going on.

"Ugh ... this is giving me the creeps..." Lexi would sigh, holding her backpack close and even going for her cell phone to maybe get in touch with Leah. "No signal ... great"

From further down the hallway she could see a flickering light as well as a sign that denoted a restroom. "Ugh finally, I can at leats change into my cheer stuff and get out of here ... maybe there's a backdoor"

She'd hurriedly make her way towards the restroom only to see upon closer inspection it was barricaded off. "DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE" a hand typed sign in red would say, plastered across the plastic barrier.

"Figures..." she sighed, "multi million dollar engineering company and they can't even maintain a bathroom"

With that she'd try just a few more doors, all of them locked, before she'd come to one in particular, which almost looked like a closet.

"...am I really going to get changed in a closet?" she sighed, before hearing the thumping footsteps of a few people as they made their way down the steel stairs towards Lexi's location. Knowing she might not have much choice, she anxiously pulled on the door and to her surprise it opened. Before she could realize that where she was was in fact NOT a closet, the door had slammed shut with a bit of an unforgiving clang.

"What was that?" one of the men would ask, upon entering the hallway and hearing the clang

"It's probably just the machine settling, no big deal..."

"That thing gives me the creeps ..." the first man would continue, trembling a bit as they both walked the halls.

"This place gives me the creeps" a shocked Lexi would gulp as she found herself in the now locked room, lit only by an ominous silvery glow as limited light bounced its way off the shiny metal surroundings. She reluctantly set her backback down on the ground, rifling through it and seeing her change of clothes and the purple and white pom poms before shaking her head. "No way I'm getting changed in here ... there's probably cameras everywhere ... not to mention I'm freakin stuck ..."

She'd sigh as she looked around, a few buttons would appear on a console in front of her, one blinking red, another green. There was a key in the console, a massive oversight if that key somehow started whatever machine she was entangled with. She'd stand up and look around, pulling out her cell phone. Still no signal, but at least she could employ the flashlight to get a better look at what was going on.

She studied her surroundings in great detail to find many singular plastic containers all in a massive wall, like some kind of library. Inside each plastic housing was a similar type of cube or geometric metal shape that would twitch and spark, even changing shape and size a bit.

"I've ... gotta get out of here..." Lexi sighed, looking over head to see some kind of massive fan blade looking thing. "The world is that ...?"

Lexi would sigh, not noticing she was standing on a large circular part of the ground that was marked off for whatever reason. It was really the only part of this strange room that had space to move, with everything else feeling claustrophobic and cramped. Many of the plastic housings would have numbers or labels on them, although some were scratched off. They'd read "DELTA EXP. 101 ..." and so on.

Lexi would look around, realizing her only way out was that door but the door was sealed shut now. She did see something though, after leaning in and examining closer, the door handle had but a lone key hole underneath. Her gaze went back to the console, the only key in the entire room at this point residing in that ignition.

Meanwhile, the 3 security men finished their patrol of the hallway, even testing the door Lexi was in to make sure it was locked. After doing so they doubled back.

"Hey, I gotta take a leak..." one of them said

"Forget it, bathroom's been down for weeks down here" another one said, "let's try upstairs"

With that the 3 men faded back up the stairwell.

Lexi, overrun with thoughts of anxiety was running out of options.

"Okay ... door ... key ..." she repeated in her head, "this could be simple, right? Can't it just be simple?"

She'd reach for the key cautiously and try to pull it out but it was stuck in there. She sighed "Never simple..."

She'd take a deep breath and try again, putting a bit more strength into her attempt. She'd carefully push on the key and notice it started to move. "Yes!" she'd think to herself, before yanking on it again. Nothing. "Shit"

What she didn't notice is that the red light that had been blinking before had now turned a solid blue. She'd try the key again and try to pull on it. She could push it down a bit but it still wouldn't come out of the console's vice grip. Perhaps in a moment of panic or just a logical guess, she decided to wriggle the key instead. Turning it to the left did nothing as it seemed to be locked in tighter than ever. She decided to crank the key to the right. Bad idea.

"DELTA TEST 287 UNDERWAY...." a pronounced computer voice would state.

"Delta who what? Delta test what?! Delta what?!" Lexi exclaimed, her own voice drowned out by a sudden gust of wind as the fan blade above seemed to be whirring to life, blowing her hair straight down as well as hindering her ability to look straight up without getting a face full of gale force winds. "Wait no, abort! Abort!" she'd scream, but it was too late.

By now the key was locked in the engage position. She tried to turn it back but it was stuck again and didn't seem to be going anywhere.

"Oh cmon!" she whines, "who has a machine that starts with a key and doesn't have some kind of cancel button!" she'd exclaim, going for any button on the panel. "Oh right... these numb nuts, that's who!" she'd whine, quickly trying to get back to the door but unfortunately she made another wrong step. On her way back, she'd step on the circular area of the floor which now turned red upon her doing so.

"WARNING..." the machine would say "MAXIMUM WEIGHT LIMIT EXCEEDED"

"Um... excuse me?" the offended Lexi would retort but before she could go much further she felt a painful electrical shock

"OWWWWWWW!!" she'd whimper, falling ot the ground on her side, only able to make out the door but it may as well have been a mile away by now. She tried to crawl out of the pulsating red circle as it seemed the longer she stayed there, the more discomfort she'd feel. Soon the pain subsided but her skin felt like rubber, a constant pulsation rocking through her arms and legs, goosebumps forming on her flesh as she futilely made any effort to get to the door.

"I can't ... feel ... my ... legs ..." the distraught Lexi would cry out, "PLEASE!! ANYBODY! HELP ME!" she'd cry out but the machine sounds were deafening at this point. It was almost as if she were thrown in a washing machine as the gusts of wind overpowered her and the static shock would lead her to feeling a painful tingle if she so much as moved

"Please... I don't want to die ..." she'd whimper, a single tear falling from her eye as she felt weaker and weaker. She'd reach for one of the plastic containers to try to steady herself but it seemed like her hand could just never quite make it there.

"Pleeeeeeeease!!" she'd cry out one last time but this time something was different. It was as if the entirety of the world was sucking itself around her in an infinite vortex. Her one single word seemed to resonate through her and around her, but it also got softer and softer the longer that it carried on. And then things got weirder.

The horrified brunette known as Alexis Cole, who was previously 5'4 tall found herself surrounded by nothing more than dark colors, her body suddenly shivering, her short hair now short circuiting as it sparked and crackled with the rest of her.

"Please ..." she'd sigh, "l-let me out ... I promise ... I'll pay whatever penalty.... just let me out ..." the stunned Alexis would utter. But there were so many things wrong with this scenario. For one thing, where were the machines? She seemed to be in a different place entirely.

"Did I get teleported? Did I die?" the anxious Lexi would go over the possibilities in her mind, still missing one that eluded her the most. A quick glance down would at least start to put things together as she walked into a soft but massive satellite dish shaped object. She'd back away, her body still tingling at almost any little twitch or movement. She looked down and turned bright red.

"My clothes?!?" she'd shriek in her terrified mind, "what happened to my clothes?"

Lexi was more scared than she'd ever been in her life, standing there in a strange surrounding, completely naked, shivering and sobbing. This couldn't be real. It had to be a nightmare. Some kind of payback for upsetting Leah or pissing off the stupid scientist guy.

"I'm not a bad person ..." the hopelessly afraid Lexi would mutter, "I'm not ... I'm so sorry ... just ... please ... if anyone can hear me... if anyone can ... h-help me ... please ..."

From afar, nothing remained of the formerly 5'4 tall girl Alexis Cole, save for a backpack with the iconic initials and a pile of clothes that lay where she had just stood. Or at least, that's what it would appear to most human eyes.

One voice filled the void though and it was the same computer voice that had come on before.

"DELTA EXPERIMENT 287 COMPLETE ... SUBJECT : ALIVE RESULT : SUCCESS"