- Text Size +

It was late on Christmas Eve that Matteo found himself in an all-too familiar position. The twenty-five year old dyslexic was alone in his house watching reruns of holiday specials, just like last year, the year before, and the year before, and the year before…


Rubbing his temples, Matteo grimaced as the words on TV mixed together. He couldn’t even watch his favorite movies without getting a headache. Sighing, Matteo looked over at the small fake tree he’d decorated, complete with a few gifts he’d bought and wrapped to be opened the next morning. Looking through the crack in the drawn curtains, he spied the gently falling snow drifting down in the darkness. Adjusting his circular glasses, he switched off his TV and decided to go to bed early. 


Reaching his room, Matteo looked over at his messy desk and the light he’d forgotten to turn off. A blank piece of paper was sitting out, unwrinkled. Deciding to humor himself, Matteo sat down to write a letter. 


“Dear Santa…” He muttered to himself, putting pen to paper, “For Christmas this year, I want a girlfriend.” 


As he wrote on, Matteo felt more and more ashamed for what he was doing. He felt like a child, foolishly writing to Santa and asking for a girlfriend. Still, he wrote on, pouring his lonely heart and soul into the letter. He didn’t care for misspelled words, and even if he tried to proofread, he’d likely make more errors. Writing until the last remnants of loneliness were squandered by overwhelming embarrassment, Matteo signed his name, the only thing he knew he could spell right every time. 


Folding up the crisp piece of paper, taking the time to line up the perfectly straight edges, Matteo felt a sudden sting in his right thumb. Looking down, he saw that the paper had sliced his thumb, revealing a thin line of blood over his thumbprint. Setting down the letter to gently squeeze his thumb, Matteo saw a small bead of blood drip down onto the paper. Attempting to wipe it off with the same thumb only left a red smear along the bottom of the paper, just below his signed name. Sighing, Matteo grabbed a tissue to prevent any more bloody smudges and crumpled up the letter. He couldn’t even bring himself to read the embarrassing letter again. He just wanted it out of his sight. 


After a quick trip to the living room, Matteo tossed the balled up letter into the dying fire, watching as the red embers caused the letter to ignite for a few seconds before it turned to ash and the fireplace calmed once more. Glad that his embarrassing letter was gone forever, Matteo returned to his room before quickly laying down for a dreamless sleep. 


——


Lucy sat back in her obsidian throne, an annoyed and tied groan rumbling from her throat. The crimson-skinned ruler of Hell cast her tired eyes down at her fiery kingdom, musing the view from atop the lofty ledge she called her own. Her millennia-old joints cracked and groaned as she stretched her back, her enormous, bat-like wings unfurling as she settled in for some rest after surveying the vast expanse of the underworld. Shaking out her jet-black hair, Lucy closed her eyes and allowed her unholy body the chance to rest it so graciously deserved. 


Only a few moments had passed before the sound of a portal ripping open reality got Lucy’s attention. Casting her attention upwards, she watched a piece of paper slowly drifting down. Snatching it from the air, the demon inspected the peculiar letter. 


Let’s see, “ ‘Dear Satan…’ ” She read aloud, seeing the author of the letter did not quite know the current ruler of Hell, but she allowed it, “ ‘For Christmas this year, I want a girlfriend.’ ”


Lucy read on, quickly finishing all that was written on the paper. Then she read it again. And a third time for good measure, since it seemed many of the words were misspelled. Finally, she was satisfied that she sufficiently understand the letter and the writer’s request. 


“This…Matteo. He’s a strange one. No declaration of servitude. Nothing to offer in return. However…” She trailed off, focusing in on the bloody smudge. A blood pact. Her forked tongue slowly emerged from between her glossy lips, slithering closer like a viper. 


In an instant, the electrifying flavor of his blood sent shivers throughout her body. Her eyes went wide with realization. This mortal man. He was…he was…


A virgin 


Lucy’s heart began to beat faster, the rush of only a smear of virgin blood intoxicating to the demon. Her prehensile, spaded tail eagerly whipped against the throne in anticipation. This new development completely changed her opinions on this Matteo guy. She knew exactly what to do. 


Rising from her mighty throne, Lucy brought her hands together and began summoning an enormous pentagram in the stone below her. The outline glowed a bright yellow as she looked back again, her eyes flaming with excitement. He never specified what he would give her in return for granting his wish, so Lucy decided to kill two goats with one slash of an athame.


“I’m gonna get my daughter her Christmas present!” 


In a flash, the gigantic demon was gone.