- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


Upon finishing her drink, Indaju sat down inside the cockpit. Today was the big day. If Inaju's calculations were correct, the spacecraft was due to arrive on Akenu five hours from now.

Jimmy had completed the Baxasu Negali video course. While he wasn't a fluent speaker by any means, he was good enough. All he could do now was practice, which he tried to do often, though his shyness made it difficult.

Pulunju spent the day pacing around the spaceship, wooden sandals clacking. It got on Indaju's nerves, but she figured it was worth putting up with for a few hours. Pulunju kept pressing her face up against the glass, looking at all the familiar planets.

Jimmy was bathing himself in a rice bowl in the kitchen. He wasn't really dirty enough to warrant a bath; he just thought they were relaxing. When he was finished, Pulunju picked up his bowl and gently poured the water in the sink.

"J'aku gate en Akenu etimis, Simju!" (We're almost on Akenu, Jimmy!)

Jimmy couldn't help but cringe everytime they mispronounced his name, but he was certainly excited. He was about to become the first human being (that he knew of) to set foot on an alien planet, far away in the universe. Fantasies ran back and forth through his mind of what it might look like. The planet, the plants, the animals. He wondered about Pulunju and Indaju's species. What were they like? Were there males? Jimmy didn't quite posses the language chops to discuss this with the two of them, but he figured he get his answers in due time.

Pulunju kept looking out the window impatiently, like a child on a long car ride. She began to doze off, but drowsiness was tossed to the side when she saw Akenu off in the distance.

"Simju, Simju, fejkimit!" (Jimmy, Jimmy, look!)

She ran over to the table, almost tripping herself, and snatched up little Jimmy. She ran back to the window and held him up towards it. She pointed at an orange and blue planet off in the distance, tapping on the glass.

"Fejkimit, Simju, Isu Akenu etimis! Isu inda tak etimis ka?" (Look, Jimmy, it's Akenu! Isn't it beautiful?)

"Lak..." (Yeah...)

Jimmy stared at the little dot, which was slowly growing larger and larger as Indaju's spacecraft approached. Eventually it became large enough for Jimmy to make out landmasses, islands and continents on the surface, surrounded by water. The continents were an orange color, and the water a light blue.

"Pulunju, safunilis i'kasisum kami." (Pulunju, gather your things.)

"Lak!" (Okay!)

Indaju put little Jimmy back on the table and began packing up what she'd taken for the journey, which was mostly cooking stuff and some food.

"Xase, j'aku edu etimis." (Alright guys, we're here.)

Indaju began lowering the spacecraft, until it landed, lying completely still. She stood up, streched, and looked over at her friend, who was standing in front of the entryway, holding the handle of her rolling suitcase with one hand, and little Jimmy with the other.

Indaju walked over to the entryway, pressing a few buttons. The door slowly started to lower. Jimmy was sitting Indian style on Indaju's palm, almost shaking with anticipation. He felt a cool stream of wind blow into the aircraft, along with natural sunlight for the first time in a week.

The door lowered completely. Jimmy stared, mouth agape at the huge field Indaju had landed on. It was covered as far as the eye could see in orange brown grass, and the sky was a soft pink. He could smell the vegetation, which smelt very similar to plants back on Earth.

A tear fell from Jimmy's eye as he marveled at the sight. He was ready to embrace his new life in a new world head on.

Chapter End Notes:

Welp, that's all for part 1! I plan to begin part 2 soon, but I can't really be sure when I'll start working on it. I hope you are all enjoying reading this story as much as I enjoy writing it. As always, I would love a rating/review of the story thus far, positive or negative! Good night, and thank you all so much for reading!