- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
You could call this chapter the ‘calm before the storm’ with more of a focus on what’s going on with the other side of the wedding with the grieving bride and the friends of the brides hatching the plan to get Jackie back to the wedding before time runs out!
Marleigh sat alone, looking out the window as she tried desperately not to start bursting into tears once more at the thought of Jackie somewhere. She couldn’t help but imagine that her little gumdrop was scared and all by herself in a massive world that could do pretty much anything to her. She hadn’t bothered to try to talk to anyone except for Amy or Carissa who would come over to check on her and how she was doing. Other than them, she ignored everyone who tried to cheer her up, especially her mother who was no real help in this situation. Sitting alone in her wedding dress, wondering where her better half was and if she was still alive. This day started out so great with the two of them waking up together in their bed for the last time as girlfriends. They were happy but now, Marleigh was miserable with guilt and shame as she stared out the window.

“Marleigh? Can I talk to you?” A small voice rang out as Marleigh’s attention was diverted away from the window for a brief second. She looked around as she tried to figure out who was talking to her until she looked down to see who was trying to talk to her. It was none other than Jackie’s older sister Britney who was standing right next to Marleigh’s leg. Marleigh didn’t try to come off as mean but she did as she just looked at the small woman only to turn back to looking out the window. “Ok, how about this. I talk and you just listen?” Britney saw that this was almost hopeless and wanted to give up. She considered it but then her sister's last words came back to her before she disappeared. “Before Jackie disappeared, she said you and I should try to get to know each other. You think we could do that? I know you miss her. I do too.”

“Look Britney, I appreciate what you’re trying to do but not right now.” Marleigh put her head up against the window as she resumed her sulking as she ignored the small Britney but not unlike her sister, she wasn't keen on giving up so easily. “Just let me sulk alone.”

“I’m sorry Marleigh but stubbornness kind of runs in the family.” Britney paused as she waited for a response from Marleigh that didn’t come. “Jackie was always a sweetheart, and although I’m not the biggest fan of your relationship, I can’t say you two don’t deserve one another. You really do.” Marleigh just continued to listen to Britney as she stared out the window. “Marleigh? I know you’re probably not in the mood for questions. But, Jackie never mentioned how you guys met. Do you mind me asking?” A short sniffle followed as it was obvious that Britney had struck a nerve without even thinking about it first. ”I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to-“

“No it’s fine, Britney. I get what you’re trying to do for me. And I wouldn’t normally just ignore you like this but…with your sister gone. I just don’t know what to do anymore. I don’t know where she is or even if she’s still…still alive.” Saying those last few words hurt Marleigh to her very soul. This entire time Jackie had been missing, everyone had tried to cheer her by bringing up how much they liked seeing the happy couple together but this had the opposite effect of making Marleigh even more miserable. Everyone talking about Jackie just made her miss the micro even more. “This was supposed to be a good day. The best day of our lives and then boom, she’s gone.”

“We’ll get her back. That's a Connor’s promise. We already have everyone we know looking for her. Promise you two will be reunited before the sun sets.” Britney was scared of even going near the massive bride but now that she saw genuine fear and concern with how she conducted herself, she felt better knowing her sister had found a human that cared for micros. “When we were younger, our parents used to tell us that all humans were out to get us. That they were all evil and had no remorse when it came to ending us. It looks like they were wrong and I’m glad for it. I’m happy my sister found someone who cares about her this much. Human or not, I’m glad my sister is happy.”

Marleigh finally broke a small smile as she looked down at Britney. “You remind me a lot of her. Wherever I was down about something, she’d always try to cheer me up. Good to know it kind of runs in the family.” Marleigh looked down at Britney with a sweet smile as she saw a bit of her fiancé in her. “Thanks for cheering me up Britney. Promise you’ll find Jackie?”

“We’ll do our best.” Britney was about to walk off until she stopped in her place, looking back at Marleigh as she no longer saw her as the monster her parents painted her as. “I wasn’t there the day you and Jackie came to New Mannorrock, I just heard the stories that my parents told me. That you were out to get them and wanted to try to kill them. I thought you were the worst decision Jackie ever made. But seeing you and talking, you’re not a monster. You have a good heart, Marleigh. I know you didn’t do this. There’s no sign of her anywhere and my-“ Britney paused as she looked at Marleigh once more. “Our family could use whatever leads we have.” Britney was silenced when she heard the unmistakable cough of her mother clearing her throat. Turning around, she saw both of her parents walking up to her, making her heart sink. Here she was, talking to the very person they believed had kidnapped and disposed of their daughter and they were not happy. “Mo-Mom, dad. I thought you would be by yourselves.”

“Cut the crap, you massive and inconsiderate bitch. Where’d you hide her, huh? Terrorizing our home wasn’t enough for you, was it? You had to break us even more by taking our daughter away from us. For what? To get even at us for hurting your feelings?” Jackie’s mom, Felica was heartbroken as she was held up by her husband, Frank. She needed to give Marleigh a piece of her mind, no matter how tall she was to her. Felica wasn’t going to let this treachery go unheeded. “Too stunned to say anything? We’ll see how you handle this!” Felicia, in her rage, began to target Marleigh’s hand out of frustration. It wasn’t doing much so Marleigh let her vent her frustration out on her hand. Seeing the mother of the woman she loved attack her broke her heart even more. They did love Jackie, even when it didn’t seem like they did. “You bitch, you took our daughter away from us just to get even!” Marleigh took her gloved hand back as she saw the micro mom break down crying where her hand once was.

“I didn’t take Jackie, I promise. I would never do such a thing. I love her just as much as you. She’s everything to me.” Marleigh began to sob just thinking about all the good times they had and were supposed to have together. Right now, they were supposed to be eating dinner together and having the best time of their lives but they were apart. The worst part wasn’t the fact she was missing but the fact Marleigh or anyone didn’t even know where Jackie was. What made it worse was that her sisters managed to find her phone meaning she didn’t get cold feet but something or someone had happened to her. “She was the best thing that I could’ve asked for. When I would wake up to that beautiful face of hers smiling at me, I knew it was going to be a great day. I know she never told you this but she still loves you. No matter what.”

“She…even after all those things we said to each other?” Marleigh watched both parents fall to their knees, sobbing. Jackie, at first never talked about her parents to Marleigh, even when they got back together. But right around the time she popped the question, Jackie began talking about her parents more than she ever had before. Seeing Jackie talk for hours about them while they planned this whole wedding out was music to Marleigh’s ears which just made the scene she was seeing now even more tragic. “We didn’t mean to push her away.”

“You don’t need to tell me. When she comes back, you can tell her how much she means to you. To the both of you.” Marleigh looked out the window, while hearing the two parents sob to themselves until the rest of their family sheepishly huddled around them. Careful not to disturb the giant bride who was full of emotions and to them, could go off at any given moment. But she didn’t. Marleigh kept looking out the window, letting the small family grieve their lost daughter and sibling together. “She still cares about you all, before the wedding she was so excited to finally see you all again. It meant so much to her that you all would be here. I just wish she was here to see you all.”

“This isn’t going well for anyone. Not with the other bride missing.” Amy spoke as her and Carissa looked over at Marleigh along with the grieving family on the window sill. They gave Marleigh her space to take in what was essentially the worst day of her life. “We have to get Jackie back here.”

“How? She left her phone here, there’s no way to track her down. We just have to wait and see if she shows up on her own. As shitty as it sounds, a micro lost in the big city is hard to find.” Carissa sipped on another glass of hard whiskey, drowning her sorrows and regrets in it. She was supposed to bring Jackie to the ceremony and protect her when Marleigh wasn’t there for her and she failed in both regards. It made her sick to her stomach just thinking about the regrets of it all. “Might as well just wait. That's all we can do.”

“And here I was thinking you were supposed to be her guardian. Some protectors you are.” Alyssa butted into the conversation as Carissa set her drink down and eyed up the Marleigh look alike that was her sister, along with the girl she had at her side, Chelsea. “You should be out looking for her yet here you are, getting wasted. You both should be ashamed of yourselves. You’re lucky I don’t even know you.” Alyssa turned her attention over to Amy who stood in between her and Carissa. “Are you just going to sit and drink your regrets away or actually do something to help her. I thought she was your best friend.”

“She is, they both are. But do you have any brighter ideas than looking all over the city to find Jackie? She could be anywhere.”

“Lucky for you, Chelsea went over to where the little girl was seen last. Show them what you found, Chels.” Chelsea went out from behind Alyssa and brought up a specific bracelet with blue and white markings all over it. She tossed it on the table to let the two girls see what was so important. “Well, go on. Tell them what you told me.”

“Yeah, I found this!” Chelsea showed what the big clue was to the mystery they found themselves in. A blue and white marbled bracelet. “I used to work at a sports bar back home and they used to give these to the ‘captains’ of the team. Waitresses, bartenders, things like that. This is one of those.”

“Wait, what sports bar because I think I recognize this one. What’s that place I took Marleigh to get her mind off Jackie when they broke up?.” Carissa pushed her drink aside, trying to remember a place they only went once all those years ago. The place where she met Kali. That was when the memories came flooding back to her. “Run-Offs. I remember that place. It’s downtown right?”

“Yeah, I think this belongs to an old friend of mine. She does or did have a habit of taking micros, I don’t know what for but I know the little Sparkles is not safe with her I can tell you that.” Chelsea began to blush as she explained her limited history of the Hernadez’s affairs with micros, just saying it aloud was embarrassing to the woman. “I can try to call her, see if she knows anything but we haven’t talked in a couple months. She’s been seeing this one psycho girl she met at her work. Pretty sure she’s even worse with micros than she is.”

“The other girl, do you remember her name?” Carissa stepped forward to the now shy Chelsea, she backed off and hid behind Alyssa. “Look, I’m not going to hurt you. I just need to know who that other girl was. Because if it’s who I think it is, Jackie has bigger things to worry about than just your friend.”

“Kali I think? I don’t know much, as soon as she started talking to her, she ghosted me on everything. Fucking bitch, here I was thinking we were…” Chelsea felt the judgmental eyes coming from both Amy and Carissa. She quickly changed her statement to avoid being seen as ‘one of them’. “Distant associates that don’t talk anymore.”

Suddenly, the group saw Marleigh stand up and head out of the room, tears rolling down her face as she tried to look calm and collected in front of her family and friends. It was obvious that all the talk of Jackie had gotten to her and the redhead needed a few moments to herself outside, away from all the talking of her missing lover. “Mar, Mar?” Alyssa followed close behind, leaving her group behind as she followed her sister down the hallway and towards the outside. “Mar? Are you good? We have a lead and we’ll find her. I promise.” Alyssa caught up to the grieving bride as she was stopped just short of going outside. Marleigh just remained silent as she turned around to have her back on the wall to begin sliding down to the floor slowly before bringing her knees to her chest.

“It was supposed to be our special day. The one day where we get to celebrate our love together and who else but my bitch of an ex decides to ruin everything. You know, she almost killed Jackie the first time they met. She would’ve if we didn’t step in the first time.” Just thinking back to that day made Marleigh start to panic and hyperventilate. “Now my little angel is all by herself with that monster and I can’t even think of saving her.”

“Mar, we’ll get her back unharmed and safe in time for you two to get married. That’s a promise. Whoever took your little girl, we’ll get her back.” Alyssa kneeled down to the ground to embrace her sister to comfort her. “She’ll be back to you and you don't have to worry about it anymore. Ok?” Marleigh looked up at her sister with renewed vigor she thought she’d lost when Jackie was bride-napped. She had her friends and family out looking for her and that put her mind at ease. “Why don’t you go get some rest and we’ll call you when we find something.” Alyssa then tried to get the bride to stand on her feet while she continued to talk to her. “Chelsea and I will see if we can’t find her friend and then your friends can check around nearby. All you have to do is just wait and we’ll let you know what we find, alright?”

“I’ll try to, just please find my little girl. She’ll be scared and might be a little agitated but be gentle with her. Forget everything mom told us and bring her back home.”

“We will Mar, I promise.” Alyssa then headed back over to the group, leaving her sister alone on the floor, promising to come back to her with Jackie no matter what. She thought back to the first time she met Jackie in that diner and how much it bothered her that her sister was dating the very thing their mother told them to avoid. How much she wanted to say to apologize to both of them for the things she said to her. As the months and eventual years rolled by, Alyssa felt a connection with Jackie that would consider them friends. Jackie even said so when Alyssa found out about the wedding, that she’d be honored to be there to support them. Now, she was tasked with finding the girl she once saw as beneath her. “Chels, try and call up that bitch you know so much about. See if your suspicions are true and if they are, see where we can find the bitch.”

Chelsea obliged her friend's request as she dialed Candis’ number, wondering if she would even bother to pick up or not. Taking a deep breath, Chelsea brought the phone up to her ear and waited through the droning sound of the dial tone until it vanished and was replaced by Candis’ voice on the other end. “Candy, just the person I wanted to talk to. Have you seen the news about that missing micro bride?” Chelsea waited for a response from the micro napper which was an obvious lie to shield herself from any suspicions. “Because out of everyone I know, you’re the only one who can take a micro without being noticed.” Chelsea walked over to the window and looked out to see the city, wondering where her little Sparkles was. “Look, just make this easy for us. Give us that one micro bride you took and I’ll do my best to try to convince her blushing bride-to-be to not gut you like a fucking fish. But Kali, I can’t promise the same. She wants blood with her.” Chelsea, no matter how she met Jackie, respected and cared about her, enough to cut ties with the girl who got her into all this practice just to have the chance to get her back. Hearing the dial tone once again after a series of panicked breaths and motions. They’d found their mark but with no idea on where they’d need to go, they did at least have one other option. Turning around to see Alyssa waiting behind her, she explained her next plan. “She seemed panicked enough when I mentioned Jackie so it’s safe to assume she has her.”

“No location then? Fuck. We have all the tricks to find her except where she is. Do you have any other ideas that can help us, Chels?”

“You know what? I might. She does have a sister who might be more persuasive. Last time I talked to her, she hated Kali so she might be a better help with this.”
Chapter End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading, and please don't be afraid to leave a review or comment, all are appreciated!