- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Short chapter.

Chapter 13

The letter… “You were supposed to deliver that to the king,” I told myself, “But what is inside the envelope?” Later that evening while walking home, I drew the letter once more; examining it carefully. The envelope was of smooth, royal purple, thick almost cardboard paper; there was no way to hold it to the light and peer into its contents. Furious curiosity infected me, forcing me into submission; I reached for the tab with my other hand.

The glue holding it shut was surprisingly tough, tough enough so that I had to apply strength to overpower it. Inside a crisp, white paper folded in neat thirds lay, sealed with a royal sticker insignia. I drew the letter from the envelope, breaking the seal, and gazed at the unfolded letter before me. Nothing interesting about it except one detail…there were no words…in fact there was nothing written on the paper at all; it was just a blank sheet of paper. The white from the paper began to bleed into the real world, devouring it slowly. “What is happening…NO, NO, not this again!” My shadow was stretching… “ReMeMbEr mE?!” said -----.Time froze, and the figure that began to speak, disappeared, from the world and from my mind. A voice boomed, “Hubert, oh please Hubert get up, what happened, Hubert!!” And with that a crack began to form, starting at the top and descending until the entire white had a gigantic crack in it. It spread horizontally like wildfire, quickly destroying the white, leaving only a starry sky and an enormous face staring down at me.

“What happened?” I mumbled. “Oh my Hubie, you are okay!!” cried the goddess. The surrounding sky and moonlight changed the hue of this beauty’s skin a light blue. Dark pink eyes above me shed mammoth tears, which proceeded to roll down a round, child-like face. “I appreciate your concern for me, but may I ask who are you?”…Her pupils became dilated, “Honey it’s me, don’t you remember?”

“Who?” I asked. “I am -----, please Hubert, this is not what you call funny.” “I am sorry giant lady but I don’t believe we have met before, can you please repeat your name?” Words flowing from my mouth. “My name is -----, don’t you remember?!” More tears and soft crying. “Why do you do that?” I asked her. “Do what” she responded between sobs. “I wish to know your name and you are about to say it but you just leave a blank.”… “My name is -----, can’t you see my lips moving!?” Nothing. “Yes miss I can see them moving quite well but unfortunately no sound,” I told her sadly. “I am sorry for being frustrated, come on I am taking you home to see a doctor.”

My heart sank, “NOO what do you think you are doing!!?” “I am sorry but I must do this, for you.” Suddenly gigantic fingers began to curl towards me engulfing my entire world, just as the white did. My instinct was to run, run away as far from this colossus as I possibly could. Something forced me to stop; I realized where I was…in the massive palm, there was no hope escape now; she had me completely conquered. My hand came to my forehead wiping the sweat away with a soft scratch; an opened envelope unconsciously held in my hand…