- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The first 2 chapters might be a bit boring but they're necessary for the plot. I tried to make them brief as possible.

- "We got our first guests!" announced Mike excitedly.


- "Already? Did you not post the listing only a few hours ago?" Asked a surprised Jennifer


She was doing her hair and makeup after her morning shower, Mike had woke up before her and went to buy groceries. He didn't sleep in even on weekends.


Jennifer was a 28 year old law graduate, she'd graduated only 2 years earlier. Being a 5' 8" brunette with an athletic figure and very attractive features, and the charisma to match, she'd landed a job with a major law firm soon after graduating.


Mike was 29, despite being a successful dentist, at 6' 2" and a fit 240 pounds, he was significantly more robust and heavily built than the average person in his domain. Working for a dental clinic instead of running his own have him enough time to workout and stay in shape, but the stress of the job was starting to show.


- "Exactly! I finished the listing yesterday before we went to bed!"


- "Babe, we agreed we won't rush things and you told me you're not gonna accept just about anyone.. did you check the rating?" Jennifer looked at him in the mirror.


The couple had saved enough money to purchase a spacious 11000 sqft lot of land in the mountains of California, which had a 2 story 4500 sqft lakefront chalet built on it. It was mostly Mike's idea, he wasn't very happy with his job, although he didn't necessarily hate it, money was the main reason why he decided to become a dentist.


Jennifer enjoyed being a lawyer, which made her hesitate when Mike first suggested they try to achieve financial independence. But she couldn't object to an additional source of income, and after some convincing, the idea that she could work less and dedicate more time to herself didn't sound bad at all.


So they decided to try their luck in the real estate market, Mike explained how the property could even pay its own mortgage, with money left to spare too if they chose carefully.


The marvelous piece of Californian nature with its upscale 6 bedrooms 6 bathrooms chalet immediately won them over. The place even had its basement converted into a bar with a small stage and a cinema projector by the previous owner. Mike was very confident they could make a fortune renting it on Airbnb.


- "Like you have to ask.. perfect rating and previous hosts only have positive things to say about our guests. Plus they really don't seem like trouble at all. The guest is a young Japanese girl and she already sent me a message explaining that she's on a vacation with her mother, and it'll be the 2 of them only."


- "Really? That's odd.. I know we're pricing it aggressively, but wouldn't it still be cheaper to rent a smaller place if it's only the two of them? I'm not complaining but I expected most of our guests to be young groups looking to party and get drunk."


- "Eh, I dunno.. I guess it's a different culture. Anyway, they rented it for 3 nights only."


- "That's a very good start! At least your promise that the place will pay for itself is materializing" Jennifer winked at him.


Mike approached his girlfriend and put his hands on her hips "so you finally admit I'm not all matter and no mind?"


She looked into his eyes and bit her lower lip "Yeah, maybe there's something to you other than your good taste in women".


- "You flatter yourself" he chuckled.


...


- "So when are you meeting them?" Jennifer asked while driving.


- "This coming Friday. I'll show them around and see what they're like in person, and they said they will leave Monday at around noon."


- "Do you have any other bookings?"


- "No, I marked the property unavailable for now. This is our first listing and I want to see what's it like and give myself more time at first. It would be intimidating to get swarmed so early on"


- "Good thinking baby!"