- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
It's a tale as old as time: Giant woman sees tiny city. Tiny city is justifiably terrified of giant woman. Giant woman doesn't realize how impactful her smallest gestures are. Ah, classic.

---

Interested in commissioning me for your own custom story? I can write your ultimate macro fantasy, from a wide range of genres and lengths. Read details here: https://www.deviantart.com/thejacksmith/journal/Story-Commissions-Are-Open-Again-698491757

I also have a side-shop for miscellaneous pre-written & discounted goodies, such as flash fiction, unfinished tales, and deleted scenes from series like Time-Out and A Little Blackmail. Check it out here: https://www.deviantart.com/thejacksmith/journal/New-Special-Stories-Shop-802615692

My Patreon for early-access stories and exclusive tales is open! Hope you'll give it a look: https://www.patreon.com/JacksmithShrinkStories

The bustling waterside metropolis of Seaway began the morning like any other, sending fleets of fishermen out along the coast and lighting up hydro-powered buildings at the heart of the city. Today was special, however, as two brand-new cruise vessels, each tied for the largest ships yet constructed in Seaway, were leaving for their maiden voyages, loaded to the gills with fat-pocketed citizens. Along the central docks, thousands had gathered to cheer and watch the ships setting sail. Not long after the pair had begun their journeys, however, and still well-within sight of the coast, something broke the morning tranquility.

The sea, previously judged to be calm and travel-worthy, started churning up. Apparent grey storm clouds formed. A dense soupy fog swallowed the horizon, which made it even more surprising as huge waves began rolling in. At this onset of strange weather, many citizens retreated from the docks back home, but most remained, fascinated and concerned for the cruise ships as the waters frothed.


Then they caught the first sight of it, or rather, her. A set of ten spherical objects, split into two rows of tightly-packed five, emerged from the fog. They were colossal, large enough to be meteors, yet their soft curves and textured peachy hue didn’t suggest rocks. Thousands upon the docks watched, quiet and unblinking.

Abruptly, the view changed as the ten rounded bodies charged forth at a loping pace, pausing every mile or so before thrusting forward again. Each set of five shapes was gradually revealed to belong upon the bow of an ovular island-sized structure, with the same plush edges and rosy flesh-tone. Tidal waves crashed around the two gargantuan masses, though the water could hardly reach even halfway up the ring-patterned boulders. This pair of colossal shapes, the combined surface area of which might’ve covered the majority of Seaway’s length, continued their march forward, until each was finally revealed to be piloted by a lithe spire near the back, in the same geometry and color of the mysterious moving islands, and then at last, everyone understood what they were looking at, though they scarcely believed it anyway.


###


“Wow…” Sherry breathed, her fingers cupping her lips. “Is that… real?”

Sure enough, there it was: a tiny, intricate city positioned by the water in an arc, so detailed and luminous that it almost looked to be made of crystal. She shambled softly through the shallow puddle in her bare feet, timid of upsetting the natural equilibrium or, even worse, accidentally spooking the microscopic beings below. Nevertheless, the girl couldn’t stop herself from investigating closer. The sight was just too precious. Too enrapturing.

Sherry took slow steps, only moving one leg at a time, and never picking either foot up, for fear of splashing the city and ruining it upon breaching the sea with her dexterous toes. She took hold of her light-brown locks, which hung around her shoulders, and quickly tied them up into a braid behind her head, making sure her view was unencumbered. Then, giving her uniform skirt a tug so it wouldn’t reveal too much of her cottony undergarments to the little creatures within the city, she knelt down once she was but one stride away from the place. When her knees landed in the water, she saw a tiny surge in the waves brush toward the coast, but was hopeful it wouldn’t have too dire an impact.

“Sorry about that,” she whispered. “Here comes the splash!”

Every move she made now was done with extreme delicacy: arching her feet back against the seabed, re-tucking her skirt, then sliding her hands down the front of her exposed thighs for support, allowing her to lean forward closer to the city without losing her balance. From this vantage point, much nearer than standing up, Sherry had a better view of the city that had so pleased her from afar. She couldn’t help but giggle now, overwhelmed by how darling and yet impressive it was. It was a little work of art.

She could see the miniature docks, dotted in thin splinters like wooden teeth all along the expansive coastline. Beyond, the tiny charming nubs of what Sherry judged to be houses, modest ones even for beings so small, which might’ve been mistaken for crumbs had she not been looking so intently. Finally there were the taller buildings relegated deeper in the city, though for Sherry, the distance was roughly the length between the slender knuckles of her hands. These looked like little silver needle-heads, though of course smaller than the type used to sew the girl’s uniform.

How long had it taken them to build this place, she wondered. Decades? Centuries of work, even? After all, the inhabitants were so very small, or at least Sherry was pretty certain they had to be; their scale of life was so dramatically punier than hers, the girl was unable to spy any individual people, though she spied around like a hawk, hoping to catch even a glimpse of movement. The odds were against her, and she had to imagine actually finding a person was as likely as finding a mythical fairy, but still she kept at it.

“Hello down there!” she cheered, louder now, and held up a hand, waving it slowly and peaceably above the city, so as not to frighten them. “It’s nice to meet you all, wherever you are down there! If you’d like to come out and say hello back to me, I’ll be waiting right here. I’ve just come to have a look at your beautiful city. I mean you no harm, I pinky-promise!”

As she waved, Sherry took a moment to laugh in delight again at the amusing sight of her hand’s shadow entirely blotting out whatever sector of the city she held it over, as the town was elongated into so narrow a shape along the sandy coast. Even one of her fingers could do the job, where the sparkling little city’s sprawl was thinnest.

“You have such a lovely little home,” she added with a beaming smile.