- Text Size +

The Mother exited her house into her backyard, ready to start her day of gardening. With her weathered boots on and a bag of old gardening hand tools tucked under her arm she grabs the watering can off the patio before stepping on to the grass. She always loved the sound it made crunching under her boots. Her yard made her feel like a Goddess of Nature, and her garden felt like her kingdom. Her plants felt like her subjects as it was her responsibility to ensure their survival and health. Her daughter was under the tree by the fence, she thought about saying hello and asking if she had seen her brother today but with her nose stuffed in that book there was no way she was getting through to her. So ignoring her little book worm she trekked across the lawn to her garden, dropping her tools and watering can she dropped to her knees and greeted her plants. She had a busy day ahead of her and she wasn’t going to let anything distract her from it, Be that family member or some lonesome garden bugs. While Carrie, Sabastian and the Woman’s Son where fighting for their lives under the tree against her book loving daughter. Their other friends were experiencing a tiny slice of life they never bothered to think about under the flowers of the family’s garden.




                In the shadow of the garden’s flowers the other half the party from the night before are debating what their next actions are. Stranded in the lawn of their friend’s house, they are torn between using the tall grass as cover or seeing if there is a secret haven to be found through the flower walls.


“Its not safer under the grass, we WANT to be seen by his family” Sabrina said shaking her head while rubbing dirt off the lens of glasses with she shirt before putting them back on.


“If we stay out in the open, we will be picked off by birds in no time. were you never taught to not wander? That’s rule number one of being lost! I thought you would know that from all the time you spend in the woods!” Kim said with a tinge of arrogance, stomping her foot in the dirt.


“Kim just doesn’t want to climb the flowers because of her allergy’s. I think Sabrina’s right, we won’t be found staying here. We are under the grass of someone’s lawn, not lost in the woods down the road we have to approach this from a different angle” Piper said, he was trying to be the middle ground between the two bickering woman but was quickly losing patience’s at Kim being a little more then stuck up.


“Then you two can go climb those thousand-foot flowers I’m staying here!” Kim said crossing her arms.


“That’s childish… and incredibly stupid. You will certainly die if we split up like that, we all have to go together” Sabrina said blankly.


“The pollens already burning her, look her nose is as red as a strawberry. She will get stepped on if we leave her but if we take her into the garden with us her head will probably explode” Piper added. He was scared at the idea of staying under the grass at the edge of the garden but was afraid of Kim’s allergy’s turning fatal if she crossed over under the flowers. 


“My Allergy’s aren’t that bad.” Kim said raising a hand to cover her nose, it was warm to the touch.


“If you think you can manage Kim… Then I see no other choice but climbing the flowers if we stay here, we are pretty much guaranteed to stepped on. So, while yes climbing a flower stem might make us vulnerable to bird attacks, I think it’s the better option instead of being pasted on someone’s shoe.” Piper said presenting his final argument to the other two. 


“Ok ok fine lets go climb some dumb flowers” Kim said in defeat.


“Thank you for understanding Kim, if only Sabastian and Carrie were here, they would be up those flowers in a heart beat” Sabrina said leading the way towards the edge of the grass.


“Fuck you.” Kim quickly responded her voice sounding more nasally. 


The three stopped dead in their tracks as they felt the ground below them start to shake. The shaking intensified and the distant banging got louder until through the clearing the grass blades we they could her. The Giant Mother towered over them, legs apart, an old fabric bag tucked under one arm and a large metal watering can in the other. The three stood in silences as the woman stared beyond them into the garden. Her old black boots ran under her blue jeans that covered her long legs up to a beige tank top. From below the grass it looked like she could reach up and grab the clouds out of the sky. 


“Mi…Miss-“ Piper wasn’t able to finish his sentence as the Giant woman opened her arm letting the dirty bag of tools fall to the ground. 


The impact sounded, and felt like a building collapsing. The ear-splitting sound of metal scraping against its self rang out and it caused huge vibrations as it hit the ground. Kim covered her ears and both Sabrina and Piper fell over. 


“HOLY SHIT! WHAT DO WO DO?!” Kim said in a panic. 


“WE FUCKING RUN!” Piper screamed as he watched the Giant woman’s boot rising in the air.  


The 3 little bugs rans towards the flowerbed, hoping the thick vegetation would be safer than the patch of grass under the Gardner. Sabrina looked over her shoulder as the ran, through the grass blades she could see the Giant Woman was taking a step back. In the distance the loud bang of her boot making contact with the ground could be heard, no doubt it crushed everything underneath its treads as it came down. The Giant Woman bent her knees and then dropped onto them as she entered a kneeling position. As she brought one of them down into the grass, one knee crushed the exact spot where the little bug sized people were fleeing from. The three bugs could see her blue jeans behind them, through the grass forest as they fled. 


“SHE ALMOST CRUSHED US UNDER HER LEG!” Sabrina screamed putting everything she had into her legs to try and make them move faster. 


“DON’T STOP THE EDGE OF THE GRASS HAS TO BE CLOSE!” Kim screamed back 


Piper was in the lead and came to a dead stop, Kim slammed into him and Sabrina into her. Before them was the drop where the lawn ended and the garden began. To the Woman who was towering over top of them this drop was only 5 centimeters, To the tiny people below her it looked like falling from a 10-story building. The Bugs looked around for other ways to escape but all they saw behind them was grass.


“We can’t jump that’s suicide!” Sabrina yelling in a panic.


“If we stay here she’s gunna crush us!” Piper quickly reasoned, anxiety in his voice that he could feel building in all them


A shadow passed over the tiny people causing Kim to jump like something brushed the back of her neck. Looking up they saw the mass of flesh that had consumed the blue sky, 3 large wrinkles running across it. 


“OH HOLY FU-“ Piper wasn’t able to finish his thought as Sabrina rammed into the 3 of them full speed catching them off guard. 


The 3 tiny people went over the edge and entered a free fall as the Giant Woman brought her hand down flattening the grass under her palm. Her fingers curling in towards the cliff face.




The mother dropped her tools and knelt down Infront of her garden. The vibrant arrangement of plants filled her nose with an assortment of wonderous smells. Digging through her bag she pulled out a small 3-pronged rake and started scratching the top layer of soil removing some of the loser stuff. She then took out her trowel and dug up a chuck for inspection. She wasn’t happy with the moisture of the dirt and she got up and went to fill her watering can. Little did she now below the stems of her beloved flowers 3 special bugs were going to become victims of one of her favorite pass times.