- Text Size +
"All in favor?"
A vast majority of the hands in the room raise, with only a few exceptions
"It's decided then, starting January 1st 2020, Charlotte Belmont will be the new CEO of Belmont Enterprises."
The young brob just sits there with a self-satisfied smirk on her face. She'd only been an active member of the company almost a year, yet she was already being chosen as the next CEO of a multi-billion corporation. After the respectful applause stopped, the 5'0" lady stood up from her seat to give a small speech. Unknown to all in the room, her 3-inch chunky-heeled, leather ankle boots were filled with a special kind of insole. Her toes wiggled inside the boots and they drummed down upon the thousands of lillis trapped beneath her 'dainty' soles.
"Thank you, thank you. You truly are too kind to trust me with such an important position even though I have only been working here for a short while. But I promise I will not let any of you down! Belmont Enterprises will enter a new period of prosperity like you have never seen before!...."

This went on for a while, praising people for helping her, talking about how she wanted what was best for all. But of course, she was completely lying about most things. 'People helping her' were in actuality pawns she had masterfully manipulated to do her bidding and make things easier for her. She didn't care about what most of the people wanted, only herself and any others she accepted were too important to lose. Her entire life had been leading up to this moment, the moment where she went for a rich heiress to the leader of the biggest financial corporation in the world. Her eyes especially went to the lillis and gullis that were also part of the 'board of directors'. They had been the easiest to sway to her side, for they were puny compared to her. These people gulped as Charlotte let her eyes drill into their souls for a for a few seconds before moving on. A small smirk formed on the brob's lips as she got the idea to bring them into her office later to reward them for voting for her.

"....and of course I want to thank my dear mother most of all. Not only for creating this company and bringing it to where it is now, but also for teaching me almost everything I know. It's unfortunate she couldn't be here today because of her illness and I wish her a speedy recovery. Thank you mother, love you!"
------------
"They did what?!" asked 'Mother Belmont' to her only (biological) child. The disbelief was obvious in her eyes, something Charlotte took joy in.
"Elected me as CEO starting next year, mother." replied the heiress with great joy in her tone.
There was silence for a solid minute as the ill, 40-something year-old contemplated what her daughter had just told her. She knew something was up the moment Charlotte showed up at her mansion, but she hadn't expected this. Meanwhile the anticipation was agonizing for the younger woman, for she didn't know what to expect as a response.

"Congratulations Charlotte." was all the woman said, her tone sounding....honest. This confused the heiress, she had expected her mother to be furious for usurping her power while she was down. "You're not....mad?" was her response as she truly couldn't believe this was happening. Not often was she surprised, but this time she was.
"Why would I be mad? The fact that you were able to convince my board of directors that you were the better choice is proof you're ready. I expected it to happen eventually, I'm just surprised it happened so soon after graduating. And don't worry darling, I won't be fighting the decision when I get back. Besides, I'm turning 50 next year, sounds like a good age to retire, wouldn't you agree?"

It took Charlotte a while to respond, mostly because she was running simulations in her head on how this could somehow be a scheme. In the end she decided it wasn't, her mother seemed genuinely happy that her 'throne' had been usurped by her own daughter. She supposed it made sense, her mother cared about creating the Belmont legacy, and Charlotte and the company were that legacy. So having the power secured within her daughter's grasp was perfect for her.
"I suppose it is, mother, if you think there's nothing more for you to do in the company. I'm just surprised you're so...compliant with me pretty much usurping your throne."

The older woman laughed as she stood up and gently grabbed her daughter's shoulders. She stood quite a bit taller than her at 5'6", but that didn't seem to matter to her. "If anyone else had taken the shot, I would have parried the attack and brought down my full wrath upon them. But you're my legacy Charlotte, and so is Belmont Enterprises. If you'd have ended up as one of those 'gentle' brobs I would've treated you like dirt and you would have nothing. But I am very, very glad my daughter ended up being a true brob. In fact, your only 'flaw' is my fault. I'm sorry I passed down genes that made you no taller than 5 feet, I truly am. But I also know you more than make up for it with your personality and mannerisms....I know about what you do..."
"How do you-"
"I'm a Belmont, Charlotte, you know that we have ways to know things."

"Anyway, if you ever need advice, I'll still be here. I can only help with business-advice though, as far as I can tell you outclassed me in terms of interracial interaction when you turned 20."

"Thank you, mother. I will make you proud!"
"Charlotte, we both know you'll only be doing what you want to do, you don't care about what I want."
"Uhm......"
"That's good though, acting like a true Brobdingnagian!" 
....
"So anyway, how are those 'siblings' I got you? You liking them so far? Figured I could use the good PR and give you something to enjoy too." asked the older woman after her daughter was left speechless by how much praise she had gotten from her mother.
"Oh mother, you wouldn't believe the kinds of things I do with them...."