- Text Size +


There it was.  A big piece of bread... Piro hadn't been able to take food home for days.  Because the landlords had a bottom corner cleaning done.  Not the slightest crumb was left anywhere within his reach.  So this large, almost person-sized source of carbohydrates would do so well in their little commune.  But first, they had to somehow carry this heavy thing, which was lying on the ground in public, to the small hole in the back of the kitchen cabinet.  Considering that he only had his friend Ali with him, it would have made more sense to break off a small piece for now and come later with a large group.


"Ali!  Give me the chisel from the bag. Let me go  get a little piece of that and come back.”  


Ali took his bag off his back and placed it on the ground. He pulled out a tool as big as a machete, made from a soda pop cap.  “Here you go.”  


Piro took the chisel.  He told Ali to wait and threw himself out from under the bookshelf.  Even though the piece of bread was too small to be noticed by the Adults, it was just below the table in the middle of the kitchen. Probably one of the girls dropped it during dinner.  Afterwards, no one noticed the motionless piece blending into the patterns of the carpet.  However, a moving creature could be noticed much more easily.  Piro had to be quick.  Otherwise it would have been noticed.  In such a case, his death would be inevitable.

He quickly reached for the bread and cut a rather large piece of bread.  However, although it was large in size, it was not very heavy due to the large gaps in it.  Before returning, he did not hesitate to take a piece of bread with his palm and put it in his mouth.  Although it was a bit stale, it could be boiled and eaten thanks to the water source in the nest.  He loaded the big piece of bread on his back and started walking towards the library.  


Boom Boom Boom Boom  


Suddenly, rhythmic footsteps could be heard from outside the house.  The landlady was back. In few second, sounds of the key was heard. Then the street door of the detached house opened.  The young blonde lady who owned the house came in through the doorway.   Hearing the voices, Piro had crossed most of the way in panic and adrenal state.  He turned his head to the left as he sped forward, looking at the huge woman.  Fresh food she bought in paper bags in her hand;  There were fruits, vegetables and meat.

Piro made his way to the kitchen just by the street door to drop them off.   A few meters between Piro and the bookcase, the woman had entered.  He had no doubt that she had seen him and that it was all over.  But nothing happened.  The woman seemed unaware of his presence as she slowly placed the dishes on the counter.  He started to put the materials in their places without breaking her stance. 


Meanwhile, Piro managed to throw himself next to Ali.   Piro put the bread down. He was out of breath. “Did she see us?.. Huh”


“I don't know bro. If she saw, she would come after us,” said Ali in a timid voice.  "Why wouldn't she?" As Piro tried to pull himself together, he thought: “We ripped it cheap.”  

He looked in the direction he had come from and saw that the piece of bread was still there.  They needed it.  A lot...  

They followed their way home through the walls, and when they reached it, he saw everyone looking at them with hopeful eyes.  There was great joy when Piro showed the treasure they had found on the pavement.  They entered the tiny hole with Ali.  A crowd greeted them enthusiastically.  Ali got excited and the childlike puppet, given his age, shouted: “We found food.  We found food.  The hunger is over.”  

The women of the tribe immediately set to work. They cut the piece of bread into small pieces.  They filled their re-used cauldrons from a metal lid with water they had drawn from the faucet in the immediate vicinity of the area where they had established their compound.  They placed the cauldron on the fire they had lit with primitive methods and started to boil the mixture. 


All 34 tribesmen, with wooden utensils in their hands, waited for the food to be distributed, hungrily.  The one who took his soup sat down and started digging into it  right away.  Piro was the last and he sat with the chief of the tribe, Zekeriya.  While everyone was drinking their soup and chatting happily, the two began to argue about the incident.


“I am not exaggerating.  It was a piece at least the size of 10 men.  That's enough to feed the entire tribe for weeks, no matter how you look at it.  It's worth the risk!”


“Of course I trust you. However, for this weight you are talking about, you need at least 10 strong men.  We have 12 adult males at our disposal.  This means the risk of losing all the men we have.  It is also much more likely that such a large group will be caught.”“You think I haven't thought of that?  Brother, we will die if we can't find food.  We lost little Berfin just last week.  Do you remember how his mother was destroyed?  Our people need this chance.” 


Zekeriya thought for a long time.  He stroked his long white beard with his hand, crumpled with age: "You know I trust you."  Piro nodded his head. "OK."  said the chief and stood up.  He brought his pipe, which he had hung around his neck with a rope, to his mouth and blew with all his might.  When he realized that he had everyone's attention, he dropped the pipe again. 

He shouted so that his voice could be heard everywhere: “Friends!  Piro said he found plenty of food under the Büyük Masa*. Tomorrow when the Bigs leave the house, we will move it here.  We need all the muscle power we have.  So say goodbye to your spouses, friends, children.  Because you're leaving tomorrow.   All of the men cried out in delight at the same time.  Not a single person objected. They all knew that the current food stock would only last for a couple of weeks.

Chapter End Notes:

*Big Table