- Text Size +
Saturday

Theo could hear his heart pounding in his ears.  Everything else sounded tinny, distant.  Is this how all his exes had felt when he’d broken up with them?  It was a much different experience, being on the other end.

“Don’t give me that look, Theo,” Elaine scoffed, her mascara-lined eyes angling down at him.  “I didn’t say it’s over.”

“Didn’t you?”  He felt his hackles rise as he looked up.  “You might as well have!”

Pshht.  I only said we’re taking a break, Theo.  We need one, clearly.  Surely you can see that.”

He stared at her shapely back as she packed her travel bag.  A break?  Now?  Things in the bedroom hadn’t exactly evolved how he’d expected; but Theo was, well, almost starting to get used to it.  You could almost say it felt exciting to please her that way.  She hadn’t even returned the favor last night, and he still couldn’t say he regretted getting her off.  There was something about her attitude last night -- the bossy disdain, the grabbing of his hair, the demanding tone … these should have infuriated him, but somehow it’d sparked a thrill in him.  All the more so when he’d given in and dropped between her legs.

“I’ll be back in town next week,” the green-eyed beauty continued.  “We’ll see where things are at, and--“

It hit him.  “Donovan.”

Elaine drew back with a startle.

“You’re screwing a guy named Donovan, aren’t you?  You said his name last night!”

Elaine tellingly hesitated.  “I am not screwing him,” was her careful reply.  You could almost hear an implied ‘… yet’ at the end.

“Son of a--!!”  He picked up a shoe and threw it across the room.  Winding his arm, he meant to hurl the other shoe at Elaine … but she stood there like a brick wall, unflinching, her gaze hard as stone.  She was not the skittish female he once knew.  She could kick his ass now if she wished -- easily -- and the reminder of that did such strange things in his head.

“I …”  He let the shoe drop from his hand.  His eyes lowered.  He would not beg her to stay with him.  He wouldn’t!  Jealousy and rage tumbled through his mind, but also worry.  He was getting smaller by the day, and therefore less desirable.  If she left him, who would want him now?

Then the rest of the puzzle snapped into place.  “Wait -- you’re keeping me as a … a freaking backup plan!  If this Donovan jerk doesn’t work out, you’ll settle for me?!”  He inhaled, scandalized.  “Or you’re waiting to see whether I win this weekend; whether I’ll be bigger again or not.”  His hands balled into fists.  “That’s it, isn’t it??”

She seemed surprised.  Then, giving a slow shrug, she seemed almost amused.  “I know what I want, and don’t want, in a man,” she admitted.  “Might as well be practical about it.”

This was outrageous!  “You think I’ll take you back, if I win?  Ha!  Once I’m big again, I can have any woman I want, and I won’t need you!”

Her mouth twisted wryly.  “We’ll see.”  She seemed amused again.  It’s like she knew how badly he wanted, needed her now; knew she held all the cards and could play her options how she liked.  … And couldn’t she?  Hell, if he won the game show, he still might take her back, just to have her wrapped around his finger again.  Or, if he lost … would he beg her to take him back, in whatever form that might entail?  Surely he wouldn’t be that desperate.  Surely.

The minutes passed in a blur.  Soon her suitcase was packed; her face done up in striking tones; her outfit skin-tight, edgy … Christ, when was the last time she’d unbuttoned her blouse that low for him?  Jealousy flamed within him until -- yikes -- the inevitable high heels went on.  Oh, how she enjoyed towering over him now, that smug smirk framing her plush lips so high above.  Worst, a strange part of him very much enjoyed the view …

“Watch my things for now, will you?” she remarked.  The nerve!!  Her smile tugged wider as she softly sighed, as if this new arrangement already brought her great relief.  “It really is for the best, Theo,” she had to add, smugly.

“Best for you,” he growled sourly.  But his dark tone slid right off her.  With a shrug of agreement, she and her tight ass sauntered right out the door, more easy and carefree than he’d seen from her in a very long time.

He raged through the house.  Threw some more things.  Avoided broken windows, at least.  “You’ll be sorry!” he blustered, to no one at all.  “You’ll wish you never left!!”

The house felt quiet when he stopped.  Decidedly too quiet.  Too still.  Too alone with his thoughts.  He --Wait, where the hell was Jen, anyway?

* * *

Jen felt like she was lying on a warm, lumpy heat blanket. It smelled musky and nice and reminded her of Kyler.

"Oh crud!"

She meant to sneak home last night, but instead she was sleeping on a pile of fellow high schoolers, boys and girls alike!  Kyler was closest to her and felt so damned nice, but they were all tangled with Ella and a couple random other people, stuffed atop the futon in Tess's living room.

The others stirred as Jen pushed herself off them.  "Babe," Kyler murmured, pressing his hand to her leg.

Jen shivered in pleasure.  They made out so much last night and it felt sooooo freaking good.  It was incredible she even managed to sleep after that.  The beer helped, she guessed.  Another first for her.  Was that why her head hurt and she felt all cloudy?

"Gotta go," she whispered anxiously, with no time to waste.

"Where we goin'," her now-boyfriend muttered, eyes still shut.

"I'm going home.  Before my dad murders me.”  She took an extra few seconds to bend down and kiss Kyler on the lips and touch his cheeks.  It was hard to leave.  She almost wished she'd let things go farther last night.  Kyler definitely wanted to. But that would be way, way too fast for her and, well… she had no time to think about that now!

It was just past 9 when she parked the car, hoping desperately that Dad was still asleep.  She crept up to her window, climbed in, shut it softly … Shit!!  She heard Dad’s footsteps coming just in time for her to scramble to the bed.

Jen!”  *KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK* I’m coming in!

She was under the covers when Dad thundered across the room and threw them off her, exposing her still in corset and leather from head to toe.  “Nice try!” he bellowed, looming over her with imperious rage.  “Ohhhh, young lady, you are screwed.”

“I--“

“Not one word!  You have exactly two minutes to change into something decent and meet me in the living room!  And not even a whiff of insolence from you or you’ll regret it!”

How could she but quaver as he stormed out and slammed the door?  In automatic panic mode, she frantically ripped off her jacket then started at the strings of her corset … until suddenly she remembered the hot topic of debate last night.  Everyone had weighed in on how Jen should confront her dad.  Step up now, or he’ll never quit hounding you.  Once you show him you don’t care, what can he really do?  Etcetera, etcetera…

That was nuts though, right?  She’d never been in such deep shit.  She needed to plead for forgiveness, not make it worse!

“THAT’S TWO MINTUES, JEN!  GET YOUR BUTT OUT HERE!”

Oh crud.  Maybe her friends were right.  She’d be hosed no matter how much she groveled.  At a certain point, you had to roll with it.  No turning back.

Oh god…

Theo rubbed his hands eagerly as Jen’s door finally opened.  Truth be told, he enjoyed a good ol’ come-to-Jesus from time to time.  He’d needed something to boost his spirits this morning, too.  Knowing him, Jen was no doubt standing there quivering in  …

*Click … clack …*

… in her …

*Click … clack …*

… in her high-heeled boots?!

He gaped in disbelief as his daughter emerged dressed the same as before.  All she’d done was straighten her jacket and comb her hair.  But… but that was impossible!  That squeamish girl would never, ever dare to--

“Let’s make a bet!”  Her voice was unprecedentedly loud and emphatic.  Her gaze never wavered as she drew closer, her head seeming to rise higher above him with every step.

Jen may have managed a stern face, but she only barely kept her teeth from rattling.  She knew if she hesitated even a moment, she’d crumble.  So she just kept belting out words.  “I bet I’ll beat you in the gym tomorrow!  I bet I’ll win!  And if I do, then my punishment goes away!”

Theo leaned back in surprise.  Blinked.  “What are you even talking about?  Beat me at what?”

“There’s eight workouts on the board.  I’ll beat you at more than half of them!”

As the realization hit him, bubbles of laughter rose up.  “W… Wait … Beat me at weightlifting?!”

“Yeah!”

“You, Jen Atwater.  Outlifting me.”

“Damn right!”

His laughter filled the room.  “Well, that I’d love to see!  You realize I still outweigh you by forty pounds?”

“Then it’ll be easy for you!”

Good lord.  “This was your plan?  Jen, it’d be a miracle if you beat me at even one of them.”  He glared up at her askance, hands on his hips.  Hmph.  He almost had to admire her gumption, though.  “Fair enough,” he humored.  “You beat me tomorrow, and I won’t ground you for the rest of your life.  And I won’t drown you in endless chores.  And I won’t take away all phone and computer privileges.  ‘Course, in reality, when I do end up beating you…”

“I get it!” Jen rattled, shooting her hand out, trying to keep it together for a few more seconds!  Dad shook her hand really hard, making her wince.  She whirled around before he could see her blush, but somehow didn’t stumble even once and kept her head high as she marched away.

Theo shook his head.  Foolish.  Reckless.  Actually, not so unlike himself as a teen.  Hfff. 

* * *

He tried to move on with his day, but a half hour later he was still muttering to himself.  “C’mon.  No way.  Not a chance.”  Happening by the basement, he decided to approach the chalkboard.  “See?”  Friday: Jen weighed one hundred seventeen pounds, while he weighed one fifty five.  Jen: two pullups, to his seven!  Jen’s bench press: seventy five; his: one o’ five …”

Wait.  But if you look at how their progress day by day, and extrapolate … especially considering that Jen’s growth was accelerating

He gaped.  The projections were coming out much closer than expected.  Much too close for comfort.  She wouldn’t just be stronger than him by mid-week; it might happen by tomorrow!

Oh shit.

* * *

He found himself drifting toward Jen’s room.  To do what, exactly?  Call off the bet?  Change the terms?  Ridiculous.  It’ll never happen.  She--

A high-pitched squeal drew him forward.  Another one, and he pushed open the door to find Jen standing with hands cupped over her mouth and eyes transfixed on her laptop screen where, in a familiar bright-lit arena, two athletic, spandexed women were locked in a ferocious tug-of-war battle at the edge of a precipice.

It’s a dead heat, folks!  These two are so evenly matched!”

Of course.  The show aired live every Saturday.  As he watched, the masked one in red and orange stripes grunted and leaned, while the purple-suited chick with matching hair shrieked and dug in her heels.  Surprising patterns of sinuous muscle danced along legs and arms as the two strapping women struggled and toiled. 

“Both are refusing to give up an inch!  This may come down to which sidekick can lend a hand!”

Evidently ‘sidekick’ meant the men; the Mice.  Those gray bodysuits and noddling noses still gave Theo nervous chills each time he saw them.  With unease he observed the cartoonish lads caper precariously across the scaffolding overhead, scampering toward the center, racing to snatch the large, round flask suspended between them. 

The crowd cheered and Jen yipped as the purple-collared Mouse snagged it right from the other’s clutches and scrambled back.  Getting his Mighty’s attention with a shout, he dangled the bottle through the metal grating and lined it up right over her head.

Can she catch the bottle of Mighty Power and still hold on?“

“She’s done it!”  The purple-clad babe caught it cleanly and somehow withstood her opponent’s onslaught, spilling only a few drops as she chugged the blue liquid down.  “Wow!

“Mighty Power!  Mighty Power!” chanted the crowd in enthusiastic refrain -- and even Jen joined in at a whisper, pumping her fist.  Mighty Power, Mighty Power…”

You could literally see the muscles growing, as the camera zoomed in.  The young woman grew some ten, twenty percent beefier and buffer right before Theo’s eyes in a matter of seconds.  He would’ve taken it for a CGI trick again, if he hadn’t seen Jen undergo similar transformations herself.  Case in point: as Jen sat and gripped the back of her chair, thin but clear lines of muscle rose along her arms.  Lines which hadn’t been there days ago, and would only get larger.  “Christ…”

Jen wheeled around in surprise.  “Dad!  Did you say something?”

He felt his cheeks redden.  “Uh, just … you’ve got a long way to go,” he gruffed.

Me?

That surprised, almost insolent tone.  “Yes, you!”  He glared and walked away. 

A half hour later, he caught her striding out the door in a new outfit -- but the same damned heels!  She left before he could find the guts to confront her about it.  Off to another party, for all he knew.  Damn!  Well, she’d get what was coming to her, very soon.

Sunday

The doorbell rang, right at 10 o’clock.  Theo opened the door and -- Shi-i-it.  It was like a punch to the gut.  Alice looked HOT.  Similar business casual look as last week, but with arguably an even tighter skirt.  And even more buttons unbuttoned on her shirt.

But the self-consciousness bug hit him hard as the blonde babe stepped up into the foyer, heels and all, standing a full head and shoulders higher than him now.  She wasn’t even all that tall for a woman!  He waited for a condescending smirk, maybe a derisive laugh; some realization that he was no longer a viable object of attraction to her.  Too small; too scrawny.

But instead, her eyes lit up with genuine glee.  “Well,” she said, putting her hands on her curvy hips and greedily appraising his body with her eyes.  “Now this, I can get used to,” her voice purred, with a sexy lilt.

What the…!?

“Go ahead and set up downstairs, Lonnie,” Alice suggested, waving on the cameraman behind her.  “We’ll be right down.”  Her eyes never left Theo as she said this.

Theo felt butterflies as the guy left, leaving them all alone.  When he turned around again, Alice was standing closer.  Much, much closer.  “I like you like this,” she hummed.  Her manicured hand drew an imaginary line from the top of his head to her shoulder, sizing him up.  But she had to know her round tits were practically touching his face.

He barely kept it together.  “Y-You can’t possibly mean that,” he objected.

Her amused gaze turned down to him.  “Oh?  No?”  Her long fingers rested comfortably, almost intimately on his shoulder, creating a spontaneous wave of goosebumps.  “There’s many different ways a man can be sexy.  Bigger isn’t always better.”

Geez… she might not actually be mocking him.  She might be serious.  And it couldn’t be denied that her proximity, her distracting perfume, and her glorious cleavage peeking through her blouse were very much having an effect.

“So where’s your girlfriend, these days?”

His body temperature rose another few degrees.  “She’s … Well, she happens to be on a business trip.”

“Ah.  A ‘business trip’.”  Her long lashes batted in a wink.  Had she surmised that he and Elaine were taking time off?  “Good,” she purred on.  “Now there’s nothing to get in our way. … With the filming, of course.”  He shuddered as her hand patted his arm and led him downstairs, affording him such a view of that ass.

* * *

Alice, with her eager grin.  Jen, with the already emptied vial in her hand.  Theo, hesitating.

Ugh.  He drank his dose, and could swear he already felt a slight tingle, the formula just waiting to kick in.

“Wow, girl,” Alice continued, admiring Jen’s physique again.  “You look amazing!  Look at the size of your biceps!“

“You should see the size of her ego,” Theo growled.

Jen frowned dismally.  Or glowered.  He couldn’t tell which.

“Oh?” Alice went on.  “I think she’s made great strides.  Those cameras we installed in here really show it.”

“What cameras?” Theo asked.

“You know, the ones briefly mentioned four chapters ago?  And never mentioned since?”

Huh?  “Chapters?”  He shook his head.  “Well, what’re you doing with the footage?”

“The plan is to show your progress over these two weeks, in very little time.”

“How you gonna do that?”

Lonnie stepped up and grinned.  “I know just what we need.”

*...Music plays...*

** “The hour’s approaching to give it your best, and you’ve got to reach your prime” **

** “That’s when you need to put yourself to the test, and show us a passage of time” **


** “We’re gonna need a montage … Ooh it takes montage…” **


** “Show a lotta things, happenin’ at once … Remind everyone of what’s goin’ on” **


** “And with every shot, show a little improvement … To show it all would take too long …” **

“ ’That’s called a montage’”, Lonnie sang.  “ ‘Even Rocky had a mon--‘”

“Alright, we get it!” Alice groaned.  “You’ll have to excuse my partner here.  Obviously that won’t be the actual song.”

“Aww, why not?” Lonnie griped.

Alice rolled her eyes.  “In any case, it’s been quite a week, hasn’t it?”  At her instruction, Lonnie hoisted his shoulder-mounted camera and brought it to bear.  “And how have things been going with you two lately?” she queried.

“Oh, we’re starting?”  As Alice nodded, Dad winced at the camera and straightened.  “Uhh… fine, really.”

Jen couldn’t let it go, though.  She’d woken up that morning with fire in her heart.  Her days of cowering from Dad were over!  Winning today was everything!  She stepped forward and--

“Jen, let’s keep this to oursel--“

“Dad says he’ll ground me unless I beat him today!” she blurted.  To hell with it!

Theo groaned as the cat flew out of the bag.  He staved off Alice’s enthused queries until finally throwing his hands up.  “Look, Jen’s made some atrocious infractions lately, then preposterously proposed to avoid punishment if she beats me today, five out of eight.”

“And you agreed?

“Yes!  I … I …”  Was it just him, or was the room becoming stifling?  “How else am I gonna teach her a lesson!”

Alice seemed skeptical.  And hell, maybe it wasn’t his most rational decision ever, but--

“Aren’t you concerned she’ll win?”

Theo glared bullets at Alice.  “She will not!” he insisted, as Alice strangely steered him and Jen to face each other then interlocked their hands.  “See?”  He shook his daughter’s floppy.  “Still just loosey-goosey twigs.  We’re over a week in, and she can’t even--“

I’m gonna kick your freakin’ butt!”  Jen’s eyes flashed red hot fury as her body suddenly solidified, her arms turning rigid and pushing him a staggering step backward!

He actually panicked for a second.  “H…Hey, take it easy!”  Once he fought back, he did so with relative ease, but still… “And watch who you’re talkin’ to, little miss--“

I’m not afraid of you!

Whoa.  She clearly was not!  Her next shove caught him off-guard enough to make him plant another foot behind him.  He quickly returned the favor -- and then some -- but the concentrated fury in her eyes never wavered.

Alice, off to the side, shot Lonnie a delighted thumbs-up.  This was great footage, great energy -- and she’d barely had to goad them at all!  “Splendid!” she praised, coming up and foisting empty curl bars into the confused contestants’ hands.  “What better time to start?  Unless either of you is having second thoughts?”

Both blinked.  “No!” they shouted in unison.

“Perfect.”  A cinch!  Alice brought two 10-pound plates to each of them.

That plus the 10-pound curl bar made 30.  “That’s it?” Theo quipped.  “Curl just 30 pounds?”

“That’s what Jen lifted on Friday.”  Alice nodded to the board.  “I figure you two ought to lift the same weight, if you’re competing.”

Theo snickered.  “Fine with me.”

Facing each other, they started pumping the weights as Alice counted.  “One … Two … Three …”

“Like styrofoam,” Theo snorted, ostentatiously yawning as he went. 

“Four … Five … Six …”

Already Jen’s shoulders were hunching forward -- already starting to struggle!

“Seven … and Eight.  How we lookin’, Lonnie?”  The camera guy gave her a thumbs-up.  “Alright.  When you’re ready, we’ll--“

Hold up!”  Jen was on a war path as she dropped the bar and brought over two more 10-pounders for each of them.

“Umm… seriously?” Theo scoffed.  “You could hardly even handle--“

Just take them!

Yeesh.  “Your funeral.”  As he hoisted the 50 pounds without trouble, Jen had to grunt just to lift hers off the floor!  “You’ll wear yourself out, Missy.  Why are you--“  Wait.  “Are you trying to grow already?”  Even on Friday, it hadn’t happened till the end of the second workout.  “Jen, that’s dangerous,” he warned.  “You’ll hurt yourself if you--“

Rrrghhh!”  The veins in her neck rose as she practically exhausted herself out on the first rep!

Alice shrugged.  “One.”

He powered through his first rep and shook his head.  “Jen--“

Rrrrrhh!”

“Two.”  Theo matched her pace as Jen kept going.  “Three.”  Her form got worse and worse as her face contorted.  She had guts; he’d give her that.  But--

“RRAGHHH!”  Her body tremored as if zapped by lightning.  The bar bucked and wobbled -- then steadied, little by little, as her arms expanded

“Four!”

Her grunts grew louder, yet her pace quickened!  “Five!” The fabric around her legs stretched and groaned, and her posture stabilized.  “Six!”  Her chest expanded, and so did her breasts, as her now stronger shoulders un-hunched and stood tall.  “Seven!”  Her biceps slid up and down her arm, more pronounced than ever.  “Eight!  This is definitely your biggest growth yet!”

No shit.  Jen finished with just a controlled hiss through gritted teeth.

“Ahem… Theo?”

He shuddered; coughed.  “R-Right.”  Forget her.  Focus.  His cheeks flushed red as he banged out his last two reps.  By then, Jen had dropped her bar and doubled over, panting from exertion.  Whew.  She seemed completely mortal again.  For a second there, she almost seemed--

“Huh?” he yipped, as she suddenly tore off and retrieved two more plates.  Then two more.  “You’re nuts!” he protested.  “Just--“ … Geez… the look in her eyes… “Just concede this one.  You’ll kill yourself.”

She didn’t even reply as she grabbed the 70-pound bar.  Her arms trembled badly as she lifted it to her waist.  And yet, somehow, with a deep breath and a grim frown… “One!” a surprised Alice called, as grunting Jen brought the wobbling bar up to her chest!  As it dropped to her waist, Jen panted, wheezed -- and stared at him.

Madness!  Theo did his rep, but the 70 pounds was tough.  He’d barely finished two sets of these on Friday, and now his pre-taxed arms had already begun to tremble. 

“Two!”

There was no way any sane person would keep going; and yet there she was, wrenching her body and throwing everything she had into it!  It was intimidating; freaky, almost: how her eyes never left him.  How she stared with dead determination.  Doubts penetrated his mind and began to trickle into his arms, and already his second rep showed evident strain.  A worried grunt escaped his lips -- and it seemed to breathe new life into Jen.

But no, she couldn’t possibly--

Three!  Wow!”  The girl was about to pass out; her form had gone to shit; yet the bar rose again to her burgeoning chest nonetheless!

And as he matched her, there was no denying it now: that feeling was spreading through his chest again.  The tightening sensation, of something inside him about to give way.  One wrong move now, and he’d shrink.

Thank god -- the girl failed her next attempt, dropping the weights and doubling over, panting.  But he still needed one more rep to outdo her.  Tenuously he lifted the bar, feeling the tightness growing, increasing …!

“Four!”

He set the bar down immediately, stepping away.  He’d hardly be able to lift a pencil now without triggering it, but at least he made it through.

“Round One goes to Theo!”  Beaming Alice took the liberty to chalk up a big checkmark under his name on the board.

It didn’t take Theo long to regain his gumption.  “Nice try, sweetie,” he gloated down at Jen, “but I told ya you’d never beat your old m--“

“It’s not over yet!”  In a flash she was on her feet, and now she was the one looking down.  Cripes, now his eyes only came up to her mouth; and her chest, torso, arms… they had all inflated so much!

But then her body sagged.  Her eyes drooped, dog-tired.  He had to capitalize on her fatigue -- now.  “Sit-ups!” he commanded, dropping to the mat.

“Aww, Theo, just give her a minute!” opined Alice.  “She’s--“

“What, you think we’ll get to rest on the game show?  C’mon, toughen up!”

Jen took the bait.  She knotted her brow and dropped down alongside him.  He smirked as he started off at a brisk pace.  Sit-ups messed with your breathing; and Jen, already winded, struggled like hell to keep up.  Just as he’d intended.

Half a dozen situps in … now a dozen … with that damned tightness spreading, and spreading …

Fuuuuck!  The floodgates burst and he felt a fraction of his vigor draining away.  Receding.  Withering.  The pads of his feet skidded slightly along the mat as his legs grew shorter.  His arms tucked behind his head grew lighter, floppier; he had to work to stabilize them.  And even while his torso grew lighter, his abs muscles lost tenacity, making each sit-up harder and harder.

Alice clapped excitedly.  “Please tell me you caught that on camera, Lon!”

“Oh yeah.”

He’d cringe if he could, but he was the one now struggling to keep pace with Jen!  Twenty now, and counting.  He could see her elbows rising next to him like a metronome.  Like a friggin’ machine!  Upper twenties … His abs burned!  He didn’t have much left in the tank, but Jen should have run out well before.  She couldn’t possibly--

Whew.  Her next sit-up only came halfway.  She tried once more, then again, then collapsed with an exhausted hiss.

“Theo wins it!  Thirty-three.”

Even his head felt a little lighter as it fell back against the mat.  His shorts felt loose around his now flatter waist.  Yet the sound of the checkmark going up on the board filled him with elation.  “That’s two to zero now, Jen,” he cajoled.  “Still think you can win?”

From the look in her eyes: oh yes, she did.  And when he rose next to her, he began to believe it too.  Now his eyes were only to her chin!

Alice cheered in jubilance.  The words “Let’s get you measured!” rang in his ears as she herded them to the scale.

*KaThump KaThump* -- there went his heart again as Alice measured, announced, and recorded.  Jen: 5’ 9 ¼”, 133 lbs.  Theo: 5’ 4 ½”, 140 lbs.

“From forty pounds apart, now down to seven.”  Alice whistled, herding them together again.  “The same pose, one more time?”

Theo’s brow rose.  “The--?”

Gladly.”  Jen interlocked her hands with Dad without hesitation.  He looked worried, and it felt kind of great.  It’s payback time.


“Easy, Jen,” Dad warned, pushing her palms.  But was he going gentler this time, or was he just that much weaker than before?  She pushed him back, and his eyes went wide.

“Bench press,” she hissed, feeling the new power in her legs as she crossed the floor.

* * *

Theo felt sweat beading on his forehead, and it wasn’t even his turn yet.  After just that short break, she seemed woefully well recovered.  The girl was banging out reps like a friggin’ pro.  95 pounds …

“That’s eight!   ‘Atta girl!  Alright, you’re up, Theo!”

And from the moment he lifted the bar off the brackets, he knew he was in for a battle.

* * *

Oh my god,” Theo muttered, his biceps trembling even from just lifting the water bottle.  The bench press had seemed dead even -- until the last set, when Jen had somehow eked out an extra three reps.  He couldn’t match it.  Then the overhead press, and even the pullups: same damned thing.  Just when it looked like her tank was empty, she squeezed out a couple more!  And each time, he fell just short.

“It’s like she just wants it more,” Alice observed.  And she was right.  It was as if Jen’s anger gave her the edge.

But, now down 2 to 3, he found a glimmer of hope.  Jen had only just graduated from girl push-ups to full push-ups this past Friday.  And he hadn’t bothered to correct her form: her butt too low to the ground, her hands too far apart.  And today he happily let her inefficient technique continue.

“Twenty-two to twenty-one -- Theo squeaks by!  Now we’re tied, 3 to 3!”

He couldn’t have done another if he tried; but he’d take it!  Now, as he clambered to his feet, he didn’t gloat.  The reality was too grim: he had yet to beat Jen straight-up.  He’d only won so far by finding other advantages: her inexperience, her tendency to overcommit …

That’s it.  YesShe had to beat him outright, 5 to 3, to win the bet.  So she had to win both of the last contests -- which meant she’d be holding nothing back.  And he could use that to his advantage.

Her first set of 120 on the squats was impressive.  Christ, it was.  Crisp and clean.  On his turn, his legs -- never as strong as his arms -- threatened to wobble almost from the very start.  His vocal chords threatened to grunt and groan.  But somehow he not only finished the set but maintained an air of calm poise all the way through!  Absolutely crucial for his plan.  Only once his back was turned did his face contort in fatigue.

“What a fighter!” Alice praised, sounding as surprised as he felt.  Jen only grunted, already grabbing the bar…

“Actually…!”  He raised a finger, stalling.

“What, Theo?”

He nodded pensively, giving time to catch his breath.  “Hmm … Yes …”  Snapping his fingers, he strode leisurely to the wall where his weary arms picked up an extra twenty pounds of weights.

“You’re crappin’ me,” Jen protested.

By the time he turned around, he’d mastered his signs of fatigue again.  “Oh,” he boasted, “was 120 too much for you, sweetie?  And here I thought it was too easy.”  To her confounded frown, he shrugged.  “Always was better at lower body,” he lied.  “’Course, if you can’t handle it…”

She fell for it hook, line, and sinker.  Snatching the plates, she settled into the daunting task of lifting 140 pounds.

And oh how she struggled!  Even five reps in, she looked gassed.  Two more, and she seemed ready to give up.

But no, not yet …  “C’mon, is that it?”  He moved in front of her and flashed his showiest grin.  “That all you got?  Where’s the toughness, missy?  You’re just gonna let me win?”

As her temper rose, so did her determination.  He goaded another rep out of her … another … another! 

“Ten!” Alice counted, before the redhead finally doubled over, gasping for breath. 

Ten squats, at 140?  Good god!  The hairs on the back of his neck rose as he and Jen traded places.  He doubted he could do half that many!  Fortunately, that wasn’t the plan at all.

“… One.”  Alice blinked as Theo returned the bar and stepped back smugly.

One!?” Jen practically shouted, between breaths.  “That’s it??”

“Yep!”  He winked.  “Guess you won this one.  Good work.”  With a devious cackle, he went straight to the last contest: the deadlift.  Two barbells; 125 pounds each.  For all the glory.  “No dilly dallying, Missy!”

Jen was still slumped against the squat frame, breathing hard.  “You can rest a minute,” Alice opined.

But Jen’s ego couldn’t withstand her dad’s grinning face.  Undeterred, she huffed and puffed and approached the bar, lined up on the ground facing his.

“Single rep,” Theo hummed, feeling victory at hand.  “Ready? … GO!”

Oof.  It was not easy!  Only through flawless technique and controlled efficiency did he manage to straighten his knees and then his back.  Meanwhile, inexperienced Jen rose unevenly, the bar swaying wastefully.  She wasn’t even going to make a single--

“One!”

Confound it, but there she stood, straight as him!  How?!

His forehead trickled with sweat again.  “More!” he said with crackling voice, hastily ferrying more weight to the bars.  Every second of delay only furthered her recovery.  “Again!” he barked.  He crouched and heaved -- and proud, winded Jen did the same!  135 pounds: he had the strength left to handle it!  But Jen, she couldn’t possibly--

Two!

How did she catch her balance?!  Aghh!  Again!”

“Jen--“

Again!” he insisted.  “Don’t chicken out!”

Alice said no; Jen’s body said no; but her temper trumped them all as she gripped the bar for one last, desperation heave …

For a moment, it was almost Dad who fell, exerting himself to the max.  But as Jen’s world spun and heavy plates hit the floor, she was the one left staring at the floor as Dad stood tall.

*Clang-Clang!*  Theo’s weights dropped from his clutches as adrenaline swirled through his veins.  He stood gasping for breath several long moments, and then … “Yyyyeeeahhh!”  How could he but parade around the floor now, puffing his chest?  How could he but face the camera, and flex?  “Now here’s a competitor, baby!  This man knows what it takes!!”

“Theo…”

His eyes sought the bombshell calling his name.  Endorphins kicked in as he strutted like a peacock.  “You see that?  Hmm??  That’s what you call gamesmanship, baby!  Pressing the advantage; superior tactics; killer instincts!!”

Theo…

He kept strutting and strutting; he was on a roll!  "I'm the baddest som'bitch this show's ever seen!!”  He put his face in the camera.  “Hello, world: YOU'VE BEEN PUT ON NOTICE!!"

“Theo, she’s gone.”

He stood back.  “Huh?  Who?”

“Your teammate.”

Just then, he heard a door slam.  Then, a car peeled out of the driveway.

“Um…”

“I’d say you should run to her, but too late now.”  Alice sighed.  “Come on, Lonnie, I think we’ve got what we need.”

He watched the two head upstairs.  “Wait… Alice, are you upset about something?”

The blonde looked at him from the staircase, pursed her lips.  “I'll be in touch."  With a nod, the two of them headed up.

"Well, can I at least see you out?”

They were already gone, out of sight.  The whole basement was Theo's now.  All noise had died out.  And he felt strangely, uncomfortably alone.