- Text Size +

Theo entered a miniaturized hallway of sorts, with a low ceiling and claustrophobic walls branching into three separate corridors: one straight ahead, one left, and one right.  The ceiling seemed made of the same clear plexiglass; the roof above it was opaque except for long gaps every four feet or so, left to right.  These slits, along with dim floor lights, illuminated the little hallways just enough to make his way.  But on the wall to his left were drawn three evil-looking cartoon hench-mice with lab coats, cracking wicked grins and each pointing him down a different path.  The evil cackle played again, through a speaker above his head: “Eeeee Heee Heeee!!  Wel-l-l-lcome!!”

a32;a32; ”Jen’s on to the Steppes of Stone!” a32;a32;

a32;a32; ”Theo’s infiltrated Doctor McWhisker’s Maze!” a32;a32;

A literal rat maze this time?  Where he actually had to choose his path?  Oh LORD!

a32;a32; “This is a tall order for Jen, even at her new height!  Can she make it through and help her Mouse?” a32;a32;

Theo huffed.  “I don’t need help!”  He charged down the middle path which quickly turned left, then right, then another right.  His elbows took quite a beating as they bounced off the narrow walls; his ears kept slapping the ceiling.  This maze was so confining; but he bumbled and bounced his way through, and--

*Smack!*  Taking another left, he slammed into a wall, nose first.

a32;a32; ”Dead end, little mouse!!” a32;a32;

He stumbled backward, blushing, as a camera tucked in the corner caught it all.

“Damn it!!”

The crowd roared.  a32;a32; ”She’s broken through!  Now on to the main floor!” a32;a32;

*thump thump thump*  Footsteps sounded on the roof.  “Dad??”  Small gaps in the plexiglass let her voice filter through.  A flicker of gold, red, and blue flashed past the slit overhead—and again, a moment later.  “Dad!?” her voice called again, louder, closer.

He banged on the ceiling with his fist.  “Here!” he yelled.

“Dad, where are you?” she continued, unable to hear him.  The footsteps moved on, growing distant.

“Ugh!”  It didn’t matter, anyway.  “Focus on yourself, Jen!  I can handle this!” He ran back to the start of the maze and took the left-hand path instead.  Jen’s wasteful calls continued, but at least he was making progress, winding deeper into the maze now, darting and dashing and—

*KaSMACK!*  The abrupt dead end knocked him back onto his butt. 

a340;(a344;0´)a295; “OHHH!!” a340;(a344;0´)a295;

a32;a32; ”He’s runnin’ blind down there—blind as a bat!” a32;a32;

a32;a32; ”No, as a rat!” a32;a32;

Screw you, Sally!” he fumed, dizzily picking himself up. 

a32;a32; ”If only his Mighty could shed some light on the situation…” a32;a32;

He dimly heard an exclamation above him.  *thump thump thump* Another glimpse of blue and red flitted past.  And just as he started backtracking: “Yikes!”  A four-foot-wide section of roof rolled away right above him, flooding the corridor with light as two gold-clad feet and a flash of red hair hustled by.

a32;a32; ”Now she’s gettin’ it!” a32;a32;

“Getting what?”  The glass ceiling still barred his escape, and the extra light was barely any use to him at all.  It made no sense!  “That’s not helping!!”

Reaching the beginning, he took the third and final path.  “Aha!”  This one kept going.  Left, left, right … Light flooded over him as he passed the strip of ceiling Jen had laid bare.  A few steps later, another strip rolled away overhead, accompanied by thumping steps and glints of gold.

“Do something productive!” he huffed, cringing as the corridor forked again in front of him.  How was he supposed to find his way??  He picked a path at random, only to find a third fork a few turns later – and soon after … *KaWham!* … another dead end.

He stumbled back, deeply peeved.  The roof above him rolled away, only adding to his ire.  Grouchily he returned to the third fork and took the other branch…

“No!” the teenager called.

He looked up, startled to find Jen right above him, crouching over a rolled-away section of roof, panting heavily.  She was exhausting herself!  Wasting all this effort and--

 

“Go back!” she barked, pointing behind him.

What?  He pointed forward.  “This could be it!”

“No!  Go back to—”

Pfft!  He ignored her and delved forward.  He was sick of this preposterous power-trip she was on.  Dictating his every move now?!  Like her guess was any better than his!?

Whoa.  He was surprised to find she’d already rolled away not one, but two more sections ahead of him.  And most of the ones behind.  Christ, that was fast!  No wonder she was tired.  In fact, she’d exposed the roof all the way to … another dead end.

*Thump Thump Thump* Her fist pounded the glass, just inches above him.  “I freaking told you!  GO BACK!!”

His breath caught.  She was mad.  Maybe this glass between them was a good thing …

a32;a32; “Is he FINALLY catching on??” a32;a32;

Fuck.  Of course.  He could only see the walls around him, but she could see the whole maze.  Or at least the part she’d uncovered.  She was supposed to help him through it; that’s what the game makers had intended all along.

GO!!!

Well, maybe she’d been right, but she didn’t have to freaking shout, though!  With an embarrassed grunt, he quickly backtracked.

a32;a32; “Thank the lord!” a32;a32;

This time Jen kept above him and just ahead, leading the way, calling out and pointing him through every blessed turn.  “Here! … Now left!  … OK, straight!”

“You don’t need to--!”  Grrrhh!  He bit his tongue, scampered … and had to swallow his words, as he missed the turn at the previous fork.

“Here, Dad!” *Clap!* “No, no – this way!” *Clap* “Over here!”

 

Blo-o-o-dy hell.  She was almost looking like a trainer in a dog show, leading him around, giving commands.  And he couldn’t do a damned thing about it!  Nothing but follow her lead…

“Stop!” she soon called, clapping again then holding out her hand.  “Wait!”  A darkened passage lay ahead; she ran off to uncover it.

But, what, was he just going to sit here, wagging his goddamned tail like some obedient puppy?!  Hell no – off he went!

a32;a32; “*Gasp* Bad Mouse!” a32;a32;

a32;a32; Stay!a32;a32;

Great.  The commentators saw the connection too.  Just great.  He hustled along anyway – and almost immediately hit a dead end.  What terrible luck!  Even worse, Jen happened to roll the roof away just then – and practically stomped on the glass in her anger.  “I freaking told you to STAY PUT!”

a32;a32; “Ooooh, he’s gonna get it now!” a32;a32;

Geez!  She took this so personally.  Shoulders hunched, he doubled back and, like it or not, let her lead him the other way, up to a … paler wall, with gaps on the sides.  It seemed to cut right through the glass, jutting out above and capped with … handholds.  It was a gate!

She was already two steps ahead of him; already crouching, gripping it, trying to lift this wide, heavy gate.  Yet, as her wiry, pre-fatigued muscles tightened and strained, the thing barely wobbled.

 

“See?” he barbed.  “You wore yourself out!” 

She slumped, panted, and tried again.  What a sad show of it, she made.  He scoffed, and crouched, to help lift it from below.  “’Mighty’, my ass…”

 

Hey!  The gate started rising almost as soon as he joined in.  Six inches … now a foot … Guess your old man’s still stronger than he l--

“Aghh!” Jen yelled—and the gate started to drop like a sledgehammer!

“Shit!” He yelped and barely got his fingers away in time as the gate landed with a resounding *Thunk*.

a340;(a344;0´)a295; “AWWW!!” a340;(a344;0´)a295; went the crowd.

He rocked back, rattled.  He’d like to think he did a fair share of the lifting, there … But Jen had clearly been shouldering far more of it than him.  Maybe even twice what he’d done.

Yikes …

a32;a32; ”Is the gate defeating her?” a32;a32;

He struggled to chastise her this time, just watching in confounded silence as she slumped over the gate, exhausted, her gold-plated chest rising and falling rapidly.

a32;a32; ”Is her Mouse stuck there forever?” a32;a32;

Her weary hands latched on again; but if she’d failed last time, she’d surely fail now.  This gate was huge!  “There’s gotta be another way!” he shouted.

Whether she actually heard him or not, Jen rose and studied the maze.  Her brow furrowed; she shook her head … but something farther off, and higher, caught her eye.

a32;a32; ”She sees the beacon!” a32;a32;

Huh?  Some new light seemed to be shining, off to the left.

a32;a32; ”A new ray of hope!” a32;a32;

Was that trumpets playing, in the distance?  Whatever it was, it brought life improbably back into Jen’s limbs.  That dogged determination flickered in her eyes again, as she started at an amble, then a trot, then an all-out run, vanishing from his line of sight.

A bemused Theo plastered his face to the glass above him, just able to make out the colorful drawings up high on the side wall, lit up under brilliant spotlights: two airborne female warriors, with shining swords and angelic wings, swooping down from a mountain peak; their arms outstretched, as if to proffer … something … that he couldn’t quite see.

a32;a32; ”The Mighties on high, helping a sister in need!” a32;a32;

He withdrew to the wider corridor behind him, backing up to bring more of it in view.  “Fuuuck…”  A bottle, filled with red liquid, on a ledge way up off the ground.  The warrior-drawings were pointing to it.  He should’ve known.

Then he could just make out Jen’s arm coming into view, pulling herself shakily up onto the rocky outcrop which, by the look of it, loomed thirty feet above the stage and ended six feet left of the vial.  It seemed to take all she had just to lift her own weight and stand straight; but there she was, her gold-trimmed armor glinting more dazzlingly than ever under the gleaming white light.

She braced.  Wait – she wasn’t seriously about to jump for that, was she?  “Take a breath!” he yelled.  She was way, way out of earshot, and the audience was in too great a fervor; but still… “You’re too tired!  Rest!

Even with fresh legs, the attempt seemed risky at best.  Six feet away, with barely any room for a running start?  She—

a32;a32; “Here she goes!” a32;a32;

Holy shit, she leapt forward -- and freaking caught it!  Snagged the vial right in midair, just by a hair, as she soared and plunged out of view, to … to …

a32;a32; ”Right onto the pillows!” a32;a32;

He exhaled, despite himself.  Maybe even pumped his fist, just a little.  That was … kind of nuts!

a32;a32; ”Ten out of ten!  PERFECT execution!!!” a32;a32;

Had he underestimated just how athletic she was?

a32;a32; "Now, what we’ve all been waiting for, folks: Power-Up!  Power-Up!” a32;a32;

a340;(a344;0´)a295; “POWER-UP!  POWER-UP!” a340;(a344;0´)a295;

Theo’s face paled as Jen’s head appeared above the maze again.  Then her torso … and the bottle.

a340;(a344;0´)a295; “MIGHTY POWER!  MIGHTY POWER!” a340;(a344;0´)a295;

 

The slight smile wiped right off his face at the popping of the cork.  Sudden, unexpected panic took hold of him.  “Don’t!” he yelped, for nothing but his own selfish reasons.  She was already too freaking big!!

a340;(a344;0´)a295; “POWER-UP!  POWER-UP!” a340;(a344;0´)a295;

Alas, the red, shimmering liquid disappeared down her throat, the empty bottle hitting the roof.

a340;(a344;0´)a295; “MIGHTY POWER!  MIGHTY POWER!” a340;(a344;0´)a295;

It began within seconds, the changes barely noticeable at first, then unmistakable.  Every inch of her enlarging, strengthening.  Somehow, the fact that her height remained fixed made it even more jarring – all the more clearly to see her shoulders widening, her breasts growing … and her muscles increasing in volume, all around.

 

“Shi-i-i-i-it…”

He’d backpedaled without realizing it, his shoulders connecting with the maze wall at the same time as his tail.  As he gawked, Jen had already sprung into action.  She seemed almost bewilderingly renewed and refreshed, her now bulkier legs squatting before the gate, her sinewy arms getting into position.  And…

 

“Nooooo way,he breathed, as she began to lift the gate.  All on her own.  He watched the thick slab inch upward, little by little; her arms quivering, but holding strong!

“Ack!”  Less gawking; more helping!  He heaved up on the gate for all he was worth.  Sure, it helped some, but …

 

“Rrrghh…Dad!” belted Jen, barely heard over the din.

The bottom of the gate was almost up to his shoulder now!  And rising higher …

“G...Go through!!” her strained voice wheezed.

Of course, you idiot!  It was plenty high already; all he had to do was duck through. 

Dad!!”  The gate lurched!

With an anxious cry, he abandoned ship and dove through to the other side.  The gate lurched again, and lurched; but somehow she kept her grip well long enough to make sure he was through.  Only then did her trembling hands give way and let the gate *Thunk* to the floor.

a32;a32; ”Boo-yah!” a32;a32;

a32;a32; “ ‘I’ve got the power!’ ” a32;a32; Bhumi sang.

Theo lay on his ass, staring up at his collapsed daughter, a coat of sweat shimmering over newly-defined muscle. 

“I … I got this!” he called dubiously, looking to ease her burdens.  But somehow, within mere seconds, she was rising again, straightening, ambling forward with incredible resolve – and only picked up steam from there.

The roof in front of him rolled away; then the next one, faster than ever.  How was she doing this?!  At this rate … Jesus … he actually found himself waiting voluntarily at the next fork in the path.  Rightly so: she was back in no time, already knowing the way.

“Straight!  Then left!  Then right!  And you’re done!”

Had her voice gotten deeper too?  Just slightly?  Christ, her voice almost seemed to carry more … authority, now.

Go!

He practically jumped, his feet scuttling ahead almost before his mind gave the order.  “She’s not the boss of me,” he muttered, as her blue tassets and glistening skin flashed by.  “I’m still in control.”  His feet padded onward, hastening out of this interminable, god-forsaken maze.  “I am!”

Oddly, in this final stretch, the maze kept narrowing … and narrowing … “What the--??”  The walls hemmed in on him.  Even the ceiling grew shorter.  Soon he had to bend, then crouch, then crawl on all fours.

Whatever Jen was doing meanwhile drew another sharp cheer.  a340;(a344;0´)a295; “WHOAAA!!” a340;(a344;0´)a295;

a32;a32; ”She can fight through anything!a32;a32;

He shuddered and focused ahead, at the literal light at the end of the tunnel.  “Focus!” he self-coached, his voice amplified by these claustrophobic walls.  Walls so tight, he had to army-crawl and shimmy, squeezing to within a yard of the hole … now a half-yard! “Just keep … going …”

a32;a32; ”Visualize—and attack!  Jen nails it again, on the first try!!” a32;a32;

Dammit!  His forearms were through, but his shoulders were stuck!

“EEEEE, HEEHEEHEE!” the offensive cackle of Doctor McWhisker called, echoing all around him.  “HAVING TROUBLE, ARE WE?!!”

a32;a32; ”Another devious Mouse-trap!” a32;a32;

a340;(a344;0´)a295; “AWWW!!” a340;(a344;0´)a295;

*Thump Thump Thump Clank*  “Dad??”

She was somewhere right above him.  All she could see were his flapping forearms.  This was freaking embarrassing!!  “Can you reach me?!” he shouted.

“You’re too far away!”

Dang it!  “Try harder!!”   He was barely stuck; a good tug from her would—

“Cup your hands together!  Catch!”

And, in distressing déjà vu, a bottle dropped squarely onto his hands.  He held on, somehow, even though his first impulse was to throw it out of his sight.  This bottle, like the ones earlier, was green.

a32;a32; “Man, I was SURE he’d drop it!” a32;a32;

“I gotta go!” shouted Jen.  “Just hurry!”  Her footsteps pounded on some unseen walkway above him, the crowd cheering anew.

a32;a32; “Hurry!” a32;a32; Sally echoed.  a32;a32; Gotta lose weight to get outta that tunnel!” a32;a32;

Shimmying backward into the tunnel, he set the bottle down and recoiled.  He’d already gotten skinnier today.  Why couldn’t one dose be enough?!  What with Jen getting bigger, too.

Was there any alternative here?  Any at all??

“That’s it!”  He thought of it.  Holy crud – that just might work!

a32;a32; “What’s he doing in there?!” a32;a32;

a32;a32; “We can’t see.  Is he drinking?!” a32;a32;

“No, sir-eee!”  This was pure goddamned genius!  Instead of drinking it, he rubbed the slippery liquid onto his arms, his belly, his shoulders—then threw the bottle behind him and thrust himself forward.

“Urrrrghhhh!!”  The last few inches were still a struggle; he began to see stars … but little by little his greased, lubed-up suit slid along, until one whole arm was through, then the other, and then--*Pop!*--he tumbled free!

a32;a32; “A skinnier Mouse emerges!!  He--” a32;a32;

a32;a32; “No—he POURED it on himself!  He didn’t drink it!” a32;a32;

a32;a32; “WHAT!?” a32;a32;

Theo jumped to his feet and pumped his fists in triumph.  “Human ingenuity, baby!!!” he roared, as the crowd went ballistic.

a32;a32; ”We’ve never seen such daring—from a Mouse!!a32;a32;

“You’re damned right, you haven’t!” Theo roared.  “I’m a KING!!”

a32;a32; ”Well, their time may be abysmal, but this is sure entertaining!!” a32;a32;

His suit seemed water-tight; much of the liquid slopped off him as he shook his arms.  The rest would air-dry quickly enough.

 

Turning, he could see the raised platform up ahead; the end of the course!  All that stood in his way was a covered, high-ceilinged tunnel, twelve feet long and half as wide.  The far side was sealed with plexiglass, in front of which was a small red button.  OK … so just hit the button, right?

With steely determination, he set his sights on button, and charged!

 

But almost immediately, the metal grating beneath him gave way.  “YyyAHHH!”  The entire section of floor swung downward, dumping him head-first into a ball pit, like you’d find in a freakin’ playground.

a32;a32; “Ran right into that one!” a32;a32; Bhumi cheered, as the maddening cackle of Dr. McWhisker played once more.

“This show freaking SUCKS!!!” he lamented, lifting his rueful gaze as the spring-loaded metal grate swung back into place, cutting him off from the platform above.  He waded through the ball pit fast as he could, furiously ascending the ladder back to the front of the tunnel.

Only then did he notice the drawings along the inside of the tunnel: Mice gingerly tiptoeing their way forward, avoiding any sudden force that would make the floor give way.  “Ughh,” he groaned.  Perhaps he could have been a bit more observant, last time…

Something landed atop the tunnel above him.

a32;a32; “Jen is on FIIIIIRE!a32;a32;

*Thump Thump Thump*  A flash of gold, burgundy, and blue streaked into view as Jen leaped from atop the tunnel down to the floor beyond, tucking and rolling and popping to her feet fluidly, like some freaking parkour nut.  OK … he’d definitely underestimated her athleticism.

a32;a32; “She used every ounce of effort and resolve, all round long!” a32;a32;

Bracing and looking around, she quickly registered him through the plexiglass barrier behind her.  She shouted something at him; he couldn’t make it out, but she looked … impatient.  Angry.  Furious, even, to have to wait on him once again.

a32;a32; “And secured all three Mighty power-ups this round, to boot!” a32;a32;

She approached the tunnel and, holy crap, it was hard to tell her size before, but was she really this big?

Wait.  “Three?”  As Sally’s words hit him, his eyes zeroed in on the bottle clipped to her belt – a new one, filled with red liquid.

“Holy f*#&$!!” he yelped.  She was about to get even bigger?!?

Screw the clock; screw the show.  He had but one purpose now: I CANNOT let her take that!!

a32;a32; “Poor Jen, though -- her sidekick continues to lag behind!  You can just sense her frustration!” a32;a32;

Indeed you could, but … “Wait!” he yelled, gesticulating, praying she didn’t do anything rash.  He started across the metal grate, crouching, shuffling gingerly yet quickly.  Just look at her!  The fuck would he do if she grew again!?

a32;a32; “Oh dear – he really is oblivious to his surroundings, isn’t he?” a32;a32;

“Huh?”  Whatever Sally was on about, he ignored it.  Halfway across, the metal floor already started wobbling, dipping downward with every careful step.  Shit!  He wasn’t sure if he’d make it.  He—

 

His daughter’s leather-wrapped fist started pounding the glass.  Angrily.  She was shouting again – but this time pointing, madly, over his shoulder.

Alas, behind him, near the entrance of the tunnel, a small compartment had popped open.  Must’ve done so just moments ago, maybe when he’d fallen into the ball pit.  The compartment held a small, round bottle, filled with goddamned green liquid!  A tag was attached to the side: ‘Need Help?’

Fuck that,” he gasped.

He knew well enough by now: he ought to take it.  He was meant to take it. … But the end of the obstacle course was right there, in sight!  And he was already halfway across the tunnel, so …

a32;a32; “He’s forging ahead?!” a32;a32;

a32;a32; “Well, at this point, I guess we shouldn’t be surprised!” a32;a32;

*Thud thud thud*  Holy freaking--!!  Jen began pounding on the glass again, utterly ballistic, furious, as he continued toward her. 

Jesus!  His daughter’s white-hot rage rattled him more and more, the closer he got.  “I’m almost there!” he defended in an unexpectedly shrill voice.  The floor dipped deeper … and deeper … but if he could just … get … a little closer … she’d see that he was right, and stop giving him flak, and—


“Aiiiiiighhh!!”  He simply weighed too much. The floor unceremoniously dumped him again, into the rainbow-colored ball pit.

a32;a32; “Oh, how the Mousy has fallen!” a32;a32;

a32;a32; “He’s too heavy!  Can’t he see that?” a32;a32;

Theo thrashed and cursed, making his way back up.  “Shit.”  He couldn’t contend with basic physics.  Time to face the music; no other choice.  Jen glared at him from outside the tunnel, her intense stare putting ice in his veins.  Her white-knuckled fist unfurled and jabbed furiously toward the green bottle as her foot stomped the ground.

“I’m going!” he barked, stepping and reaching for the bottle.  She was being … so … intolerable!  Her size gave her no license to act like that. 

a340;(a344;0´)a295; “SKINNY MOUSE!!  SKINNY MOUSE!!” a340;(a344;0´)a295; 

He squeezed his eyes shut and gulped the drink down, its bitter taste twisting his gut into knots.  The withering feeling began before he even set foot on the grate.  He saw his daughter lean in, pressing her face to the glass, momentarily shedding her anger as she watched the potion do its work with keen interest.

Fuck!  He fought the urge to cover himself, feeling so exposed as his waistline receded and his muscles dwindled.  He felt loose folds forming in his suit again, before--*Swwippp!*--the adaptive fabric tightened against him once more.

a32;a32; “Awww … see, wittle Mouse?  Isn’t that easier?” a32;a32;

Bloody hell, it really was.  The floor resisted his weight just a little bit more firmly, as if gravity itself had lessened.  He made it past halfway this time, and a little more, before it truly threatened to give way.  Under Jen’s watchful gaze, he shuffled forward, and forward …

And Jen uncorked the red bottle, and brought it toward her lips.

a32;a32; “Finally!  I thought she’d never get to hers.” a32;a32;

 

Air rushed from his lungs, along with a frantic yell.  “Wait!” he bellowed, flinging his hands riskily in the air, signaling, shaking his head.  “WAIT!!!

a32;a32; “Umm, what is her Mouse on about?” a32;a32;

Jen knew exactly what his reaction meant.  Her eyes narrowed, looking him straight in the eye.  By all rights, she should’ve ceded to her father’s demands and at least waited to hear him out.  Just ten goddamned seconds; that’s all he needed!  Yet, with rising fury and blistering spite, she tossed her head back and began to drink.

a340;(a344;0´)a295; “MIGHTY POWER!!  MIGHTY POWER!! a340;(a344;0´)a295; 

Pandemonium erupted in his mind.  He could feel – see, even – the last scraps of his parental authority slipping away right before his eyes! 

 

The next seconds were a blur: Theo running, leaping, catching the ledge!  Rising; smacking the button.  “You escaped my lair!!” cried the cheesy voice of Doctor McWhisker.  “Noooo!!!”

He needed to reach Jen, and smack that bottle out of her hand before it was too late!  But this damned glass wall, it came down so slow!  He ran to the edge and squeezed through at the first opportunity – but his foot caught and he tripped and fell, tumbling to the floor.  By the time he picked himself up, the red liquid was gone; drained!  “Son of a--!!”  He charged anyway, taking every ounce of his rage and frustration—all that had built up over this entire round, and beyond--and redirecting it straight at her, and that damned burgundy corset, pummeling it viciously with his fists!

I told you to wait!!!

*Thwam!*  The resounding thud of fist sinking into flesh; the sound of his authority, reasserting itself!

Why…!?!”

Sinking … a little less.

“Didn’t…!?!”

Less!

“You…!?!”

*Thwud!*

“Wait!?!”

 

 

His hand throbbed.  He gasped, realizing she’d absorbed his blows and hadn’t backed down.  Not a freaking inch.  In fact, the last one felt like punching solid oak.  Part of it was, she’d clenched her stomach.  But that wasn’t all.  He could feel her stomach continue to harden against his lingering fist.  Solidifying against his knuckles; resolving into grooves and ridges, that weren’t there only moments ago.  Grooves that continued to deepen …

a32;a32; ”What in the MOUSE does he think he’s doing?!” a32;a32;

a32;a32; “Never, ever, have we—Holy jeepers!a32;a32;

The stunned crowd gradually came back to life; but his gaze dragged upward.  Past tapered waist and expanding arms, up beyond growing breasts, to widening, strengthening shoulders.  Finally reaching the strong jawline; tightening lips; and green eyes, boiling with a wrath like he’d never seen.

And then, her fists clenched.

 

 

Theo lost it.  No thought of bravery now, or defiance, or even rage.  He turned tail and ran, like his life depended on it.  Criminy!

His blind flight happened to take him toward the final ramp, thank god.  He almost yelped as--*Thoom Thoom Thoom!!*--Jen’s imposing figure zipped ahead of him with ferocious speed; shadows of yesterday’s race around the track, but now with the disparity even greater…

*Wham!*  The larger of the two buttons, on the higher pedestal, met more than its match under the strength of Jen’s palm.  Anger and impatience rolled off her in waves as he reached the smaller pedestal seconds later.  All he remembered was smacking the button with one hand; retrying with two.  Then a  horn sounded; lights strobed.

a32;a32; ”It’s over!” a32;a32; decried Sally, over the consternate din of the crowd.

a32;a32; ”What an ORDEAL!  I can’t bear to look at the clock, Sally – what’s it say??” a32;a32;

a32;a32; ”Not good, Bhumi!  Not good at all.” a32;a32;

But through the confetti raining down, he saw Jen whirl toward him, flexing her muscled arms, and advancing!

He tripped and fell backward, nearly sliding off the ramp!  Just when Jen seemed about to lunge at him… she froze.  Anger seemed to build inside her like a pressure cooker … until, with a furious yell, she changed course.  Bounded down the slope.  Cut past the outstretched arm of a Panther who’d just appeared, careened left, and disappeared backstage.

a32;a32; ”She’s outta here!” a32;a32;

a32;a32; What on earth?!?a32;a32;

In the booth overlooking the arena, Sally turned to Bhumi in consternation, tapped her earpiece, spoke into it rapidly away from the mic.  The Panther looked up at her and held her palms upward, clearly befuddled as well.  The crowd chattered and cheered, sitting on the edge of their seats in fascination.

a32;a32; ”W…We’ll take a short break, folks!  Be right back!” a32;a32; called Sally, clearly flustered.  a32;a32; “For fuck’s sa--” a32;a32; you could hear, just before she ripped off her headset and stormed out of the booth.

Theo was still stunned, as the crowd’s restless murmurs grew.  He noticed the Panther behind him, only after her massive purple-clad hand clamped down on his shoulder.