- Text Size +

He arose from his bed to the sound of birds quietly chirping on his window sill. He was a man of only twenty, but despite he relative young age, he inherited the title of Count of Barcelona from his late father only two years ago. His father died suddenly and without warning, dying of a heart attack during dinner. Even though he was his father's only child, he had not prepared him for such a role. He was a timid young man, always nervous around others, shy in conversations and took more interest in being alone playing the violin rather than taking court. For two years his court have tried to break him of these habits, forbidding him from playing violin, trying to mold him into a true member of the aristocracy. They did break him of his timidness, but they never broke him of his unwillingness to be around others. No matter how hard his court tried, he could never be broken from this shy and standoffish attitude. They finally have given up trying themselves and instead insisted that he marry. Today he was to met some of the finest women from all over Iberia and make one of them his countess. He dreaded this, as he did not want to marry someone who he did not love. But he was resigned to do so in the name of protecting his family's titles.

He stretched himself out and look out the window of his palace down to the courtyard, it was empty as usual. He gave a sigh of relief, the nobles and their daughters weren't here yet. An aide helped him dress and bathe, getting ready for the day.

He turned to his aide, "Do you know much about who's coming to ask for my hand?" The aide shook his head.

"No sire I do not. But rumors do tell that kings and counts from all over Iberia have heard about it. I believe the king of Castile even coming with his daughter."

The young count sighed and turn away from his aide. His aide wasn't just some mere stranger, they were friends, they have been for a very long time. The aide spoke again, "Salvador," The aide put his hand on Salvador's shoulder "Why not simply call off the event? It is clear that you are not ready for a maiden." Salvador hit his aide's hand away, turning back to him.

"It's not that I'm not ready Franco! I don't wish to marry someone just for my family's titles! I'm still a young man, I want to travel Iberia. Yet my court has turned my palace into a prison. I want to find a maiden of my own, who I love, not one who kneels for me just so her father can have an ally!" Franco looked stunned, unlike most people, Franco knew the young count could be passionate and hardheaded. Did he not know that if he didn't choose a bride today it could lead to war tomorrow? But Franco did not say a word, he knew it would only make the young count stress more. They headed downstairs, eating breakfast before preparing for the event. Walking through his palace, he heard some quiet talking in a nearby room. He stuck his ear up against the door to listen, it was three maids talking to each other.

"I heard the King of Portugal is coming." The first maid said.

"Well I heard that the King of Castile and the Duke of Aragon are coming as well." The second maid said.

"Well with all these princesses and noble ladies I'm sure the count will find one who he finds pretty, if he doesn't, then not even the goddess of maidens could satisfy him!" The third maid said. They all giggled and laughed at this remark. But Salvador listened in more as they continued on.

"The goddess of maidens? What's that?" One of them asked.

"The goddess of maidens isn't one thing from what I know. The goddess of maidens is to say, the perfect thing to whatever man finds her. But no one has ever found her-" The second maid interrupted the third maid

"Wrong! The goddess of maidens is a huge woman! Like almost a monster! Taller than any castle in Europe! And people have found her! She lives in Andalusia, and-" The second maid was cut off by the third maid.

"You idiot! The goddess of maidens isn't huge like that! She's a regular woman just like you and I! Except she's the amalgamation of any man's ideal maiden!" The three young maids argued back and fourth, but this conversation was enough to get Salvador thinking. If the goddess of maidens was how the third maid described her, then he could not only get married, but get married to his ideal woman! But if she was like how the second maid described her, then he could very well die. He went to go fetch his aide Franco and ask more about the maiden. When he caught his aide prepping for the event, his aide looked at him like he was a mad man.

"What? Sire what are you talking about?" Franco asked. "You must be a little mad from all the stress. It is a big deal sire, but when the kings come, please reserve your madness for later, the goddess of maidens is just a tale."

Salvador huffed, he yelled, "I am not mad!" When he yelled the room they were in went quiet. "I believe the goddess of maidens is real! And I'll cross to Andalusia to go find her!" Franco grabbed Salvador.

"That is just a myth of desperation to foolish men like yourself! You are not only putting yourself in danger of crossing into a different realm, but you're putting your province in danger! Leaving now would be the greatest insult to the other kings of Iberia and they will not stand for their honor being violated like this! Get ahold of yourself!"

Salvador smacked Franco, sending him to the stone floor. "Do not touch me like that! I will cross to Andalusia and I will show you that there is no grounds for your fears!" Salvador stormed up to his bedchamber, grabbing his father's fine sword and fixing it to his side. As he began to angrily grab his thing to make his journey, the maid from earlier who spoke of where the goddess was knocked on his door. He looked over to see her grinning. "What is your business?" He asked.

"Me? I just overheard your little spat with Franco. Much like how you overheard the little argument I had with the other maids. I do tell the truth you know, I am after all from Andalusia." She said still grinning. "My name is Daniela, and I want to come with you to find the goddess of maidens." Salvador raised and eyebrow to this. Why would she want to travel across Iberia to find the goddess? What does she have to gain?

Acting on this suspicion, he asked, "What purpose do you have traveling across Iberia to find the goddess? After all, it will be weeks of travel across dangerous country."

Daniela brushed herself off and stood up straight. "I simply want to serve my sovereign so he doesn't perish. After all, do you even know the way to Andalusia?" Salvador looked at her blankly before shaking his head. "Tis what I thought. I know how to get to Andalusia quickly, you're going to need a guide. As you said, this is dangerous and bandit country we will be crossing."

Salvador thought for a moment before nodding. "Collect your things, tell a few guards they are coming with. We leave to Andalusia in a few hours time." Daniela nodded and quickly ran out of the room to spread the word. Some of the maid staff helped pack the wagon train of goods as did the guards. The other members of court were not told about this sudden trip. Only Franco, Daniela, a few guards, and a few maid staff knew about this. As Salvador packed the rest of his things into the middle wagon, he saw Franco sitting in there. "Franco? What are you doing here?"

"While I do think you're mad, I took an oath to protect my sovereign at all times. I will be going to Andalusia with you to find this 'goddess.' I'm also coming along to escape the wrath of the other kings of Iberia." At this remark, Salvador laughed and nodded.

"So be it. But when we do find her, I will never let you live it down." They both laughed, shrugging off the little spat from earlier. Daniela hopped into the same wagon as Franco and Salvador a few moments later, singling that everything was ready. Salvador nodded and gave the go for the procession to leave the city. As they pulled away, Salvador wondered if Daniela was right about the goddess being bigger than any castle in Europe. He wished it wasn't true, as he would rather not be flattened.