- Text Size +

Hannah looked at the landscape admiring the sight but she also never seemed to care the least for anything which was flattened in her footprints. Mimi and I were a little bit more uncertain because when even the city was empty, who could know for the rest of the region. Luckily we walked in the mountains on forest land for most of the remaining morning.

Mimi explained her theory of being benevolent patrons, her parents listened to her delighted and agreed, but still Hannah invited her daughter to think less about it and just enjoy the situation. She also told us about their brief adventure in a Commune and how all that story made her feel like they could live that dream again, this time without worrying for money or social expectations. It was very refreshing to have that talk.

After some time the mountains ended and we found ourselves on an immense plane interrupted here and there by emerging hills. Some were small, but one stood eminently at the center, at least from our perspective. Most of the hills were covered in sparse houses. But that one had an entire town all built upon it. The whole panorama was very inspiring. We kept walking on the plane. I was paying attention to streets and farms, the two adults a little less. But still we were proceeding without major damages to anything, if not the countless fields we were marking with the shapes of our feet. Still I believe farmers preferred it so rather then us choosing their houses as a passage spot. After a good while walking on the fields Micheal stopped right before the largest hill with the bigger town all built upon.

“Hannah, kids, come see. Isn’t it beautiful.” We reached for him.
As I got closer I saw that it was becoming more and more difficult not to crush human constructions. I could also distinguish some diminutive figures running completely obscured by our shadows. Not without a little resistance I stepped on some small building, hosting random shops which seemed closed. I think there weren’t workers but if there was a security staff they were now dust under my foot. We were standing all right above the city.

The hills seen from above was quite elongated extending from the east to the west, almost as long as any of us was tall and it sloped infinitesimally to the west. A series of hairpin bends were the only access routes in the south, right in front of Micheal’s legs, and on the north, the part none of us had dared reaching since the town continued there below.

The city by itself was mesmerizing. With all its little structures and streets. It was a perfectly carved sculpture of a whole miniature world. Finally I looked to the street with enough attention. It was complete chaos down there. From their perspective four titanic faces and upper bodies were looming above the city smiling and pointing at them. Hannah's tits' shadow designed a perfect silhouette on the long side of the town engulfing several blocks. It couldn’t be more menacing than that.

I couldn’t distinguish anything specifically. Somewhere a car almost run over pedestrians running in the middle of the street. In another corner a mother had taken her child in her arms and was running who knows where. People were abandoning shopping bags or flipping tables. Some where just standing and staring. Mimi looked mesmerized. Hannah and Micheal were serenely smiling like a couple of visitors looking at a fancy aquarium. Then Micheal spoke.

“I have an idea!”
“What Mitch?” Hannah asked.
“We may stop here for lunch!”
“Oh, that’s a very nice idea. What do you think guys?” Hannah asked us. Mimi answered for us both.
“What? Dad, mom! We can’t eat here, there’s people!” I was listening carefully to the conversation but still looking down. I had the impression that people could hear and more or less understand what we were saying. After Micheal mentioned lunch much more people went crazy and the initial controlled chaos became a general madness.
“Sweetie, don’t worry. We will patiently wait for people to leave the city and then we will eat in peace.”
“Do you want to take people’s home?” Hannah didn’t look bothered the little
“Well, all I care for is people’s safety, not people’s property. We will give them due time to prepare and leave. I think thirty minutes is enough.”

She smiled reassuringly. I was not reassured at all. Thirty minutes seemed like a very short time to pack your things and go.
“Come on, Mimi! A double date with lunch. We never did that. It will be fun!” Micheal’s tried to hype the thing.
“Dad, don’t make it more awkward than it already is!” She remained silent another moment.
“Fine! I guess this is the best option around, and I'm getting quite hungry looking at it, to be honest" I was completely struck by that agreement, but I didn’t dare protest. If Mimi was fine, I thought it could be fine for me too.

Then Hannah turned to the town.
“Attention everyone. People of this town. My family and I came here today and really enjoyed your town. It’s very cute. Cheers to you all. Some stopped listening but many kept running. Hannah was not discouraged.
“Listen to me now. I can see – she squinted her eyes – I can see on this clock tower - she lowered one hand and thousands gasped in fear, then pointed one finger to a small tower with a diminutive clock on it. - that it’s a quarter to one p.m. You all have twenty minutes to reach your home, take all the things you need and leave the town. Please be careful, there won’t be a second chance to come back. We liked your town so much we have decided it will be our lunch and I am pretty confident we won’t leave anything behind. And so should you. I repeat, go home, take what you need and leave in twenty minutes!”
“Mom, I thought you were giving them thirty minutes!”
“I know honey, but I am starving. Let’s say we won’t split the second, okay.” Mimi was satisfied with that deal. People below where still in panic though. So she took the words.
“People, people! - the second time she shouted a bit with an authoritative tone. Most people this time stopped to listen – Haven’t you heard my mom? Stop running and screaming. It’s not helpful. Just go home, take your things and leave.”
“Oh yeah – Hannah interrupted her – Leave from the north side. On the south there is us waiting and it’s kind of uncomfortable.”
She made these last words clearer by ripping the top of the southern street from the mountain and starting to munch on it.

This last move was heart-shattering to many. I could see more than one person dropping to their knee. Just ten minutes before all these people were enjoying shopping, deciding which restaurant to go to or tasting an ice cream. Now two couple of gigantic behemoths were politely asking them to leave their homes and lives in order not to be eaten like appetizers. I felt some sympathy for them, but I was starving too, and I didn’t want another hunger attack to hit me, especially not in the presence of Mimi’s parents. Thus, when Hannah offered me a piece of the stuff she had detached from the hill I gladly accepted.

Since we had a lot of spare time to wait for people to leave town, we split. Micheals and Hannah sat on the ground causing the typical minor earthquake which pushed people to accelerate operations. Hannah started plucking small trees from the side of a road being careful not to touch the hyper-fragile tarmac, considering also that more than one car was going down the way to abandon the doomed hilltop town.

Micheal enclosed Hannah’s hips with his leg and started massaging her shoulders. She closes her eyes in bliss and purred. By extending one leg she put her left foot on the ground erasing a small farm from existence and knocking a silo off with her big toe. Micheal started kissing her on the neck and she turned her head to reach for his mouth with her tongue. The whole scene made me reconsider various things. When you’re alone with your girlfriend naked you behave like the whole world is an orgy celebrating your lovemaking. When you’re alone with your girlfriend’s parents … naked … and well, also giant enough to make a whole town relocate in order to have lunch, but most of all naked and worst of all exchanging even the more moderate sign of affection, you start considering the bewildering advantages of a life dedicated to monastic chastity.

Mimi was on my side, literally and figuratively on this, given that maybe when it’s your parents doing that it is even worse. I wondered if she’d ever wanted to show or receive physical affection anymore. She stood up and asked me to follow her.
“What for?” She looked in the distance and than back at me.
“Well – she whispered – I need to … make some space, before lunch!”
“Wha …? Oh … ow!” I commented.
“Please I don’t think I want to do this alone. I mean, that’s quite private.”
“Then why do you want me there too?” She looked at me with a bit of severity.
“Come on, you’ve been there countless time! If there’s you with me it would be like doing it in the wood just in your presence. If I’d have to go alone I’d feel watched by everyone.” I was already standing even though pretty unconvinced by her arguments.

We walked a little until we were again among some hills. I could see plenty of countryside small villas, farms and some bigger mansions built on the hills and pretty immersed in the general landscape. Sometimes, even though with due difficulty, I could see people exiting their homes to come see the passage of these two teenage titans. We walked along an interstate and many cars stopped and people got out to have a better sight of this godly vision. It wasn’t easy to walk on such a terrain because the plain part on which the road was built had space enough for just one of us so Mimi was walking ahead and I distanced her by a couple step. More than once we had to put one foot on one side of the road and one on the other. We managed not to trample the tarmac, but every step of ours sunk into the ground, flattened whatever stood there and then let it fall down when we were taking the next step. From our perspective it was just dust falling down from our soles. From the casual travellers on the highway that must've been tons and tons of debris falling from every direction.

Finally Mimi reached a spot that satisfied her search. It was a cave in the mountain. It was closed, and there seemed to be nobody around. There was a bit of machinery and some vehicles here and there, some pile of material which looked like rubble to me but maybe was worth a lot of money. I considered money belonged to those concept were slowly fading from my mind.
“Are you sure here’s the right spot?”
“Of course, I can dig a hole without destroying further forest. Plus it’s kind of desert.”
“Well, not to ruin it for you but there’s plenty of houses on the surrounding hills and I am pretty sure they’re inhabited. I’ll ask one last time are you sure you want to take a dump here?” Mimi pondered it one last time.
“I think I have no alternative. I need to go. Plus, I guess this subscribes to the list of “this is how we live now” kind of things. We will almost never find a place completely devoid of people. But …”
“What?” “Well, if there’s you around … it’s just like. I mean, everything is just like, you’re the only person around.”
“What do you mean?”
“Well, I am not implying anything. At least I guess, but … when I consider myself alone among small people I feel like they are the normal ones and I am the giant.”

“Well … because that is what it is.” Mimi paused a moment in her explanation while starting to dig a hole in the plain at the center of the cave. She was removing tons and tons of material with her bare hands. A work on the same scale that probably took the cave workers months, machinery, explosive and vehicles was being completed by her in seconds.
She continued “But when I am with you, or … now with mom, dad, Jo … it’s like, I don’t know. - she puffed – It’s like we are the normal people, we are our usual selves, and then there’s this small world of minuscule interesting bugs all around us. It’s different, I can’t actually explain how.”

I didn’t reply just to absorb those words and confront their meaning with my feelings on the matter. I wasn’t sure I shared the same ideas, but I was already pretty conscious that since we’ve met Hannah and Micheal again every time the basic social norms to be complacent to them and not look strange in their presence had always prevailed on any consideration about the small world around me. Probably that was a slightly different version of what Mimi was talking about.

She didn’t wait for my reply anyway. She turned herself toward me and squatted so that her ass was the new roof above the whole cave site, in the center of what once was the plain for general operations there was now an enormous abyss hundreds of feet deep waiting to be filled. She started peeing. Her urethra though was not perfectly aligned with the hole and thus, at least in part, it started spreading on the plain. The force of the jet was so strong though that it started excavating the side of the abyss. This in tandem with the fact that the surfacing pee had engulfed a good number of machines and vehicles led to the abyss swallowing them and seeing them tumbling down to the bottom of it. When Mimi would have finished with it, I guess the cave worker won’t rush to recover their stuff the next workday.

She then talked again “I mean, it’s like the golden rule. - I didn’t like this definition, but I still hadn’t come out with any better alternative. - When I look to the ground I feel like I am crushing something important here and there. But when I look back up and see you, or my parents around, I feel just like I am walking. And whatever ends under my feet loses all the importance. It becomes mere floor to walk on.”
“I don’t know. I keep thinking about it all the time. It’s like walking on eggs. I keep wondering, what if for the strangest reason even though this is mere grass, or a piece of forest there was someone for whatever reason down there? How can I avoid them all?”
“I think this is the point. We can’t avoid them all.”
“So … do you think it’s okay to step on people. To crush them like ants?” I was a bit worried by the turn this was taking.
“No. I mean, I don’t think that intentionally crushing people is good.” She looked me in the eyes to make sure I knew she was completely sincere and firm on this point.
“I just think, that maybe, sometimes it’ll happen that we won't be able to prevent all the harm to everyone. Someone may end up unfortunately under our feet or our butts. It’s like … the natural order of things now. We are this big, and humans are that small. I will do my best to help and protect anyone, but I can’t feel sorry for every average Joe and Jill that get smooshed if I need to rest a moment.”
“I feel a bit uncomfortable when you, or your family, uses the word ‘humans’. It feels like we are not humans anymore.” Mimi looked at me with a serious expression.
“Zack, that’s what we are. Or better, what we aren’t … anymore. We aren’t anymore human, but … something else. I mean, look at me!”
“I’d prefer not to, in this situation.”
“Do as you wish. But I am a colossus taking a dump in the middle of a cave, I’ve digested the side of a mountain with everything that once stood on it and we are soon to be having a nice family lunch with my parents and the main course is a human town. We may be people, but we aren’t humans for sure.”
She looked at me, and probably guessed that I didn’t like this last sentences.
“What’s the matter?”
“I don’t know. It’s like … if we aren’t human, and we are this big and powerful, we may progressively lose our push to be … humane.”
Her seriousness dissolved in an expression of tenderness and comprehension.
“Noo! This ought not to happen! We can be humane titans. Maybe the real secret to be truly and fully humane is exactly not to be human.”
This reassurance softened my stress.
“So you’re still convinced with your initial plan?”
“Why shouldn’t I? We are realizing it right now. Okay, some things have gone different than expected. But we are still fully on track!”
“What things?” I knew what things, but I wanted to tease her a little.
“I mean, I imagined it being just us. I mean our families, gently ruling over the planet.”
“Ruling?” I kept teasing.
“You know what I mean!”
“Don’t you like Elsa?”
“What? No, no. On the contrary, she’s great. I mean, actually, it’s great that there’s her too. She looks like really soft heart and agreeable!”
“Well, she’s surely soft in a lot of places” I could clearly see fire raging in her pupils as a reaction to my inconsiderate pun. She kept going.
“And Arthur, the boy. He seems to get along pretty well with Jo. And that’s rare.”
“Guess why?”
“Come on. Don’t be mean. Jo’s a little difficult. But she’s a good kid. She has been playing the noble lady role lately just because she doesn’t want to be treated as the only child in the house. But maybe, staying with Arthur will do her good. It will show her that being a child is not that terrible. As long as you’re not alone.”
“Wow, that’s very … wise of you.”
“Well it has to be. I am a small goddess now, I need to be wise … and humane!” She was always able to reverse my teasing.

She also finished her duties and proceeded to push a part of the mountain to cover her misfits, but at least she was considerate enough to use a part of the mountain not visibly excavated in order not to completely destroy all the work excavating that cave must’ve been. It seemed like a kind gesture. But who knows how many of the cave workers would have come soon. How many of them may at the current moment be leaving their hometown under the happily indifferent gaze of those two immense and voracious beings my in-laws had become.

When she left her place I decided it was better to take the chance and took a pee from where I was standing. What caught my attention though was not where my stream was landing, also because it was landing behind a set of hills from my perspective. But from the center of the cave that Mimi had just, not very well covered. One minutes ago it was just a greyish expanse of soil and rocks. But now a strange hue was kind of glowing, like the colors weren’t completely right. I finished my pee, who knows flooding and submerging what or worse who, and knelt down to take a closer look. It didn’t take more than a second to discover it was a bad idea.

The stench of Mimi’s … remains, was still clearly perceivable and it hit me like a slap.
“What are you doing? That’s gross.” After I could open my eyes again I replied.
“No, it’s not like you think. Come! Take a look at this.”
“I won’t fall for it weirdo!” She protested.
“Mims come here, I am serious. Either I am having a bad trip due to gas poisoning – she interrupted me by slapping on my back pretty hard. A square-sized hand reddish imprint could be clearly seen under my left shoulder. - … oooor, something pretty strange is happening.”
She was finally convinced by my words and knelt on my side. The odor affected her as well to the point of forming small tears on her eyelids. “Pfff, gross. My butt is gross at times.”
“Yeah, you wish it was just ‘at times!” I joked. She grabbed my neck with her hand and tightened the grip.
“Ehi, you’re hurting me!”
“Good!”
“Okay, but look.” I pointed to the ground. And then we could both see it. It was very hard to see, but the phenomenon was vast enough to let us have a vague understanding of it.
“It’s …” I tried to articulate.
“It’s … sprouting.” She completed covering her mouth in surprise.
“It’s sprouting minuscule plants.”

We paused to observe a little bit. The process was in no way fast, but it surely was going pretty faster than anything ever observed in nature. Infinitesimally small buds were populating the ground right above the covered pit. The greyish color of the soil was still dominant but it was clearly losing against the green of the plants.
“My butt is magical” Mimi exclaimed like she had coined the “Eureka!” motto.
“Always said so.”
“Do you want other violence?” She thwarted my enthusiasm.
“No, please!” I whimpered.
“Oh my Gosh – she said – it makes plants grow at an astounding rate. If it goes like this the whole plain will be covered in small plants by this evening. It could become a fully fledged meadow by tomorrow or even faster. Look at that!”

“Wow!” Was my only consideration.
“This is … incredible!”
“It surely is!”
“No, it’s more than that. It’s like a sign!”
“Of what?”
“That we, as giants, are an even better thing!”
“What do you mean?”
“I mean, we can eat everything, and then … make plants grow fast.”
“Yay, we can become small farmers now!”
“Come on, aren’t you surprised as me? That’s a revolution.”
“Well, it all is a revolution!”
“Yes – she insisted. - But this … this is the final confirmation! We can not just destroy, but also generate. We are a good thing to everyone, that’s certified now. I guess that eating that city will have a whole different flavor now.”

I wasn’t completely sure about this last remark, we were still transforming several thousand people into refugees, but at least on the one hand it was true. Eating buildings for its own sake, or just to nourish ourselves looked a bit less selfish now. Having been risen as I was, by that fervent environmentalist of my mom, I never shared her enthusiasm, for her it was saving the planet for me it was just the rules of the house and taking care of her small garden. But this last discovery hit me on my soft spot. It would’ve made her pretty happy to know that she could literally reverse overbuilding by eradicating concrete buildings and making forests regrow, not as a mission but as a consequence of her digestive processes.

In the while of that extremely short conversation the once deserted plain was now covered by a fairly distinguishable patch of green. It would become a fully grown meadow in half an hour, a forest in a day. I wondered when and if the accelerated pace of growth would stop. Maybe it worked like for people, only instead of size, for plants it was a matter of speed. If so, it surely would stop anytime. I thought once again about my mom. The more I though about it the more I realized what Mimi was trying to say to me earlier. I was probably judging the Yates too harshly. They were a family which happened to become gigantic and they were doing their best for one another, accepting their fate and trying not to make it weight on each other like a guilt or a punishment. They just wanted to care for each other, like I wanted to care for my mom. I thought that maybe when I would’ve finally see her as big as me, I’d be far more comfortable with everything. Just the thought of it happening soon was soothing. We left the place we had transformed into a small toilet and which was being recalled by nature at an accelerate rhythm and walked back to our lunch spot.