- Text Size +

It took Elsa another ten or twenty second to finally realize it was not a dream. Her boy, her precious boy was there sitting in front of her like nothing ever happened. They were the same size again. Not the same in comparison with the day before, but some hundreds times bigger than the norm, the same size of a mother and a son.

She could finally embrace her child with all the love she could express through her arms and chest and skin. Elsa was almost catatonic for the happiness. She kept kissing Arthur’s forehead and mouth and cheeks and forehead again. Until he got a little tired and stopped her by putting his hand on her mouth.

“Mom, please stop! I can’t breath!” Then it finally hit him too.
He looked at his surrounding, then at his mother and then at the surroundings again. “Mom! Look! I am big! I am big as you! Wooooha! The world is so small! Everything is so small!”
Elsa could not find the words to express her joy. She limited to nod and cry. Finally she could articulate something again.
“Yeah … Artie! You’re a big boy now. And from now on nothing will keep us apart. Ever again, I promise!”
“Mooom!”
“What, sweetheart?”
“I am sorry!”
“But … what for, Artie?”
“I am sorry I did this!” Arthur let some debris fall from his right arm.
Elsa smiled “Artie, don’t worry! That’s nothing, it doesn’t matter! The only important thing is that you are as big as the mom here and that we are together again! But tell me! Are you hurt? How do you feel? Is anything wrong?”

Elsa thought a little about these last words. Arthur by growing had destroyed several building causing millions and millions of damage. But the value or even the meaning of those concepts were waning considerably in Elsa’s vision of things now. She evaluated just one moment if it really was a problem that Arthur had dealt some damage to human constructions or properties. And the result of the evaluation was that human constructions or properties meant close to nothing in comparison with the fact that Arthur was now a giant like her.

She felt even reassured by this in her old consideration that the safer life she could offer to him given the situation was a life as a titan. She still wanted to leave that place and stay away from the too fragile cities of little people, but she was not worried anymore if sometimes could happen that people of their stature dealt some damage here or there. She also started to understand Hannah’s careless behavior. They were mothers and their only duty was toward their families.
“Artie, can I ask you something?”
“What, mom?” Arthur was still exploring the potentialities of his new body even if just by moving tons of dirt from one place to another.
“How did you grow?” He looked at his mother puzzled.
“I don’t know, I didn’t do anything?”
“Are you sure, Artie? You can tell me. I'm not angry, not even a little. It’s just to understand.” She sounded reassuring.
Arthur looked at the ground with the exact expression of anyone caught red-handed, or better honey-handed. “I … I am sorry mom! But I was so hungry. I ate some bread with sour jam in the house where Carol put me”
“Sour jam?”
“Yeah … I thought it was apricot’s jam, or orange, but it was something else. I didn’t like it very much.” Arthur then looked back to the ground waiting to be scolded.
His mother as a response, started kissing him again on every free spot of skin.
“Mom, mom, please stop! I won’t do that again! I promise!”
Elsa was openly smiling. “Artie, you did nothing wrong. Instead, you did the best thing. The ‘sour jam’ is what made you big. Is what made us all big. It’s the honey in jar! Don’t you remember?”
Artie thought about it a little, but he couldn’t forget when he was almost falling from the balcony because of the jar of honey. He nodded.
“Moom?”
“Yeah, sweetie?”
“What do we do now?”

This was the most difficult question to answer in that moment.
“Well, we are different now! We will figure out little by little, I guess … but for now, I want you to meet someone.” Arthur was curious, he expected some magical novelty to add to that crazy day, but he was soon disappointed to understand his mother was talking about the people they had met before. No magic, just boring adults.

“You see, this is Mr. Micheal, here. He helped your mom a lot lately. We should both thank him!”
She helped her son to stand up and encouraged him to go and present to Micheal. The giant showed the kindest face he could. Ha felt very happy to have made a contribution in that situation, even if a bit embarrassed of the kind of contribution. But most of all the mother-son reconciliation had melt his heart and strengthened his desire to reconcile as soon as possible with Mimi. He straightened his harm and offered his right hand to the new giant in town.

Arthur was a little anxious as always and looked continuously at his mother for reassurance. Elsa meanwhile had stood up herself and kept encouraging her son with her gaze and nods of her head. Arthur finally reached Micheal in the center of the park and they exchanged a good handshake. Elsa reached them.
“Thank you again, for everything. Thank you both! You saved my life, literally!”
Micheal smiled “It’s nothing, we were just lucky! I am so glad everything turned up fine.”
“Maybe, it’s time to reunite with Hannah and Jo. We can share the good news with them!” Micheal agreed.
“Just one last thing. - He added – What do we do with …?”
Micheal opened his other hands showing the bruised but generally intact body of an unconscious Carol. Elsa was surprised to see her again.
“She was thrown away when Arthur grew and she landed … well on my belly … eheh! - Micheal completed the story – Should we leave her here?”

Elsa thought a little about it. She wanted to just throw Carol on the ground and smash her with her foot. She was even a little pissed because she didn’t want to do that while that monster was still unconscious. Then, she thought about her previous understanding of Carol’s motives. After all she had just told Arthur that destroying a city block meant nothing. In the end, Carol was a bad person and she was extremely relieved that she didn’t have to make her grow to hug Arthur again. But she was just another giantess, like the first girl, Mimi, or Hannah, or herself. They were different from humans now, Carol was right on that. This didn’t mean they should be cruel as she wanted, but also that a certain amount of casualties was inevitable at this point. And all things considered, Carol had killed one, maybe a bunch of people, while she and every other giant she knew was already counting in the hundreds, if not worse.

“I will keep her. She had what she deserved. For now, I will take her with me and then we’ll see.”
Micheal agreed and consigned the minuscule body to Elsa. Then they all started walking toward the mountains top where Hannah and Jo were waiting. Micheal noticed the visible distress on Arthur’s face for having to walk on destroyed buildings and streets. He knelt down and looked the child into the eyes.

“Hey, champ! Hi, I can see that you are worried” Arthur did almost nothing to hide his mood.
“Well, I don’t know! We are breaking stuff, is it allowed?” Micheal smiled and put one hand on his shoulder
“I know, I know. It’s … everything is a bit different now. Look – he reached for a sixteen wheeler miraculously intact into a half-destroyed deposit and put the vehicle into Arthur’s hand – we are big now. We don’t know why. It just happened. Now, when you are this big, it happens that you have to break something from time to time. Especially when we walk and we are in the territory of little people. It’s not a big deal, though. They will build it up again soon.”

Arthur was trying to follow this tall man explanation, while looking at the shiny truck in his hands. It was far more realistic than any toy he had ever possessed but it felt also far lighter and more delicate. He held it scrupulously in order not to damage it.
“We have this small rule that holds for big people like us. What happens under your feet stays under your feet. Do you … understand it?” Arthur looked at his feet which were now darkened enough by the remains of all the things he had crushed, and then he stared back at Micheal.
“You can trust me. It’s no big deal at all. You can ask your mom.”

Both Arthur and Micheal looked up to Elsa which had stopped to listen that small lesson. Her only interest was to reassure her son, and dissipate any sense of guilt. He was a child and he never chose to become this big. It had been her choice for the both of them and she embraced it now. She felt like Micheal’s lesson was not meant for Arthur only. She took the free hand of her son and smiled at him.

“Mr. Micheal is right, Artie. It’s fine! It can even be funny, look!” That said she moved her left foot a bit on the side where many building still stood untouched by their previous stroll. She selected a big apartment building and without a second thought she pressed her foot down until she reached the ground. The building crumbled under her foot opposing close to no resistance at all.

Elsa didn’t want to let pass the message that destroying was fun, but she decided that in order to preserve Arthur’s well being every thing was acceptable. Arthur looked at this display of absolute power from his mother and it was this that probably consoled him the most. Whether it was completely fine in general or not to crush buildings, it was allowed by the supreme tribunal of every law, which was his mother. He nodded and tightened his grip on Elsa’s hand. They all resumed their pace, without any other major stop.

When they reached Hannah she was sitting on the ground with Jo’s head on her lap. She woke her daughter and jumped up to hug her husband. Then Elsa hugged her unexpectedly, but she returned the hug. Micheal told the story avoiding or just hinting at the details which he didn’t want the children to hear. Hannah was presented with the unconscious Carol and laughed while playing a little with her body. Finally under the loving gaze of the three parents Jo and Arthur presented to each other.

Elsa was a bit surprised of how Arthur didn’t seemed surprised at all of coming to know new giants. Arthur, though, was a child, for him magic was possible and the world was a place full of adventures. Thus the fact that there were other giants was not very surprising. It was just another bunch of adults in this other world they now inhabited. It was pretty normal to him that there were other adults and children.

Jo wasn’t that surprised either. She was happy to finally have someone to play with. Usually in the summer she used to elect someone as her summer friend and spent her time on the beach with him. Almost always it was the son or the daughter of some of her parent’s new friends. Now the whole world was her beach, and it was clear that Arthur was the natural choice to be her giant pal. The only thing that seemed to interest her was coming to know that Carol was back with them. Always in the hands of the new lady, but she hoped that by becoming friend with Arthur she may have come to have her for herself, at least a little sometime.

She took the matter in her hands and recalled her mother’s attention. “Can I go to play with Arthur, mom?”
Hannah looked first at her daughter than at Elsa that silently consented. She finally give her permission. Both because she feared nothing in the world at this point and because it was becoming pretty late so both the kids would have fallen asleep pretty soon. At the first sign of consent, Jo took Arthur’s hand and dragged him away.

Elsa and Micheal sat down resting their back on Olehim hills and crossing their legs. Micheal hugged his wife’s shoulder with one arm. Nobody spoke for a good while. They just observed the children descending the side of the mountain and reach the sea below where they started some Jo-kaiju versus Robo-Arthur city scenario. This had extremely destructive effects on the new town pretty soon but none of the adult titans cared the little. They could just see their kids playing and enjoying the moment. The only thing that broke the idyll was the tempestuous rumble coming from Elsa’s stomach.