- Text Size +

Missy’s heart skipped a couple beat when she realized that was a direct answer and even a polite one. Maybe they were not going to die or even better they were really going to have that interview. Alfred was still working on the sound system and he finally managed to deviate the signal from Missy’s microphone in order to produce both the low frequency exiting the loudspeaker and a more familiar sound transmitted in their headphones.

After a while to regain her composure, Missy spoke again “Thank you, mi...ss Selena, nice to meet you too! - her voice was trembling for emotion but she kept going – So … are you available to answer a couple questions? I’d ask you to sign a form, but given the current situation, I’d have to ask just for your verbal consent.”

Since Selena had got several hundreds feet away from the hilltop the loudspeaker volume was not enough anymore and she heard almost nothing. She decided this wasn’t going to work well and it was time to solve it the old way. Which was not very old though, since it had been used that afternoon with Todd for the first time. But it had worked.

“What’s going on?” Todd asked. From its standing position he had heard only Selena’s answer.
“They are journalists!” She answered looking up at him.
“Journalists? Wow! How many? How did they know we were here?”
“I don’t know. There are just two of them and one is just the camera guy.”

The giants ignored or were completely uninterested to the fact that their words could be heard from below from that distance. Alfred was a bit upset to be defined “just the camera guy” given also all the effort he was doing to allow for that crazy conversation to happen. Missy on the other hand was mentally noting everything they were saying in order to catch any information regarding the possibility of conceding the interview.
“I think they want an interview!” Selena commented.
“Maybe they can help us with …” Todd suggested. Selena shut him up.
“Shush, I d prefer to keep that thing between us for now”
“So what? Do we leave?” Selena thought about it.

On the one hand, she really didn’t want to share her intention to grow her sister and aunt. And she had already lined a good set of reasons not to. She had become more and more self-conscious of the incredible power she had been gifted. The main reason her growth had been a bless was surely the fact it had healed her from the back-pains and could do the same for her sister. But it was also, more simply, a growth into a sort of godhood. She was so big her current problem was she could not enter the city because one of her feet would have erased a city block. Moreover she was able to digest every material she had encountered. And she could make other people grow. In fact, she wasn’t just one goddess, she was also in company of a god with the same set of incredible powers.

She had already spent part of her time coming to the city imagining what would happen if that power had been given to a less decent person. Someone slightly less careful could destroy a city in an afternoon job. It could become the most powerful weapon to ever be unleashed on Earth. And she surely didn’t want that to happen in any case. She wanted to heal her sister and grow her aunt in order to recompose the family, but she didn’t want to share that with others for now. Least of all governments and similar which would have used it to promote some political agenda. And as a black woman she had all the rights to be extremely suspicious toward the government's possible agenda.

She didn’t like the thought at first, but thinking that Todd didn’t have family to share his power with had a comforting effect on her. For what she knew, the world was already too crowded with people her size, and she didn’t want to increase that number beyond necessity. On the other hand, though, the problem of getting to her aunt’s house remained. If she chose to leave the journalists behind, the only remaining possibility was to face the necessity of trampling people properties and causing millions in damage with each step. Not to consider the possibility of people getting caught under her feet. All her decency in not letting bad people becoming giants would then be disproved by the fact that she was the bad person holding the power and destroying stuff. Maybe Todd was right, this interview thing was an opportunity to save the day, and the suburbs.
“Maybe you’re right, Todd!” She sighed. Todd was surprised to be right.
“Maybe we need to seize this opportunity in order to make Cass’ and aunt Betty reach us outside the city. Just … let’s not talk about what we want to do with them, okay?” Todd pondered the secrecy requested from Selena and agreed it was better to say the least.
“Maybe it’s better that you speak, then …” Selena nodded.

She then turned back to the tiny journalist lady which was probably still trying to communicate with them. She made a sign with her hand to shut up. Missy on the ground obeyed immediately quite intimidated.
“Listen here, miss journalist … we clearly have communication problems, but I’d love to concede you this interview, so I’ll propose a solution that I think will work.” Missy was thrilled by the idea of the interview materializing in front of her, and extremely attentive to the giantess’ instructions.
“I’d need for someone of you to … well, enter one of my ears. Don’t worry, I’ll put you there. This way I will be able to hear your questions and remain at this distance, which is the only one from which you will understand the sounds coming out of my mouth.”

It took quite a bit to process the giantess’ request. What she was asking was indeed crazy. To get into someone’s ear seemed like a bad joke and still at the same time even too real. Eric meanwhile had exited the van in order to ask Missy how would they proceed from then on. Missy didn’t know what to do. She was quite scared to enter someone else body, she also wondered how could the giantess safely transport her to such a height.

“Missy!” Eric shouted.
“What?”
“News24 called back!”
“What?”
“I’ve sent the images to a friend of mine which works there in the production management. After a while I finally convinced him it was not a scam. He said they are still experiencing tremors in the city, not on the street level but up in the skyscrapers they can be felt, I guess. He is working to set us up live replacing the next news segment.” Missy could not believe it.
“Live! Missy, they are giving us a sequence to broadcast live!”
“Oh my God… oh my God, this is really happening.” She was now really hyperventilating.
“What happened?” Alfred reached them.
“They are going to broadcast us live from here on News24, in twenty minutes now!”
“What?” Alfred looked at Eric which was smiling but clearly not joking. He also erupted with joy.

That really was the chance of a lifetime. They were going to be broadcast on all channels in the 22 sequence, 22:30 at worst. By tomorrow Missy’s face was going to be on every screen and display in the world. Missy’s face … he thought.
“Then we have few time to set everything up. I’ll do what the giantess asked!” Missy told.
“No you can’t!” Alfred shouted.
“Alfred … please … this is too great to let it pass. It’s my chance.” Missy was pleading him to understand.
Alfred looked her in the eyes. “Yeah, you’re right. This is your chance! You can’t go up there. I can’t conjure a video interview if you are just a voice in the ether. It’d be weird and people would not grasp the actual situation. I need you to stay on the ground. Both because the people will need to see your face to understand what’s going on, and also your size in comparison to that of those things!”
“But, the giantess was clear! If we stay on the ground she can’t hear us, and if she gets any closer we wouldn’t understand her words.”
“I’ll go!” Eric interrupted them.
“What?” Missy freaked out. “No! It’s dangerous!” She decreed.
“Well, if it’s dangerous the last thing I will allow is for you to go. And then, as Alf said, it’d ruin the direction.” He complemented the last word performing quotation marks with his finger.
“What if you get hurt? I could not forgive myself.” Missy protested almost in tears.
“Missy, this is the chance we are given and the fiches we have to play.”

Missy looked at him, then at the ground. Finally she inspired and nodded.
“Okay! Alfred, set meup in order to transmit the signal!” Eric asked. Missy looked at her colleague wondering if those were their last moments together
“Eric …”
“Yes?” he said while Alfred was covering him with cables.
“… please, be careful!”
“Don’t worry Miss, you instead better be careful to kick asses with this interview!” Missy nodded and smiled.

When Alfred had finished covering Eric with devices in order to receive the signal from the microphone and translate it into the loudspeaker now turned into a strange backpack, they all waved at the giantess to communicate they were ready. Selena got the hint and stretched her arm, then her hand and finally her index finger. Todd was both amused seeing the scene from a new perspective and kind of nostalgic remembering when he was the one having to climb that nail and reach for his partner’s ear.

The fingertip landed on the hilltop with a loud sound and caused some small cracks in the concrete surface the trio was standing on. Eric gulped one more time, held tight the equipment and waved one last time at Missy and Alfred which were standing still and silent full of worry. With no little effort Eric managed to climb the nail of the giantess. Even that thing was impressive. The width of the nail was at least four feet. Just that gave a hint of the difference in size between the titans and the rest of the world. When Selena was sure Eric was firmly standing on her nail and holding his hand on her fingertip she started the ascent.

Remembering how harsh it had been the first time with Todd she proceeded as slowly as she could. It took thirty second to finally complete the trip. Eric could feel both the force of acceleration which was milder than the one experienced by Todd, but still impressing, and the temperature lowering increasingly for every hundred meters he got far away from the ground.

Finally the nail docked at the base of the base of the titaness’ ear canal. Again with some struggle Eric managed to leave the concrete solid surface of the gigantic nail for the vaguely softer one of the ear. The canal extended in front of him as an enormous cavern. He was crashed by such a display of size. He scratched his eyes and after another couple seconds to recover his breath he got to work in order to set the instruments.

It took a while to finally reach a balance. But after a couple attempt, finally Alfred found the perfect formula. Missy’s voice arrived into Selena’s ear with a delay of less than two seconds in a frequency which almost made her justice. Selena in turn could talk freely and be heard and understood. On the ground Alfred continuously regulated the audio intake in order to transform the talking thunderstorm above into the voice of a woman. When everything was set, it was something inbetween a live and a phone interview. Selena was having a bit of fun with that since she felt like a singer ready to record a new piece. Todd had gotten a bit bored and had sat on the other side of the artificial hill so he could face Selena and observe the whole scene.

When it was clear that Missy and Selena could communicate smoothly, the giantess was the first to talk.
“Do we start immediately, or do we have still time?” Missy was struck by the question, but at that point some form of reciprocal understanding had been formed between her and the titaness shaped by the mutual effort to establish that impossible dialogue. She looked at Alfred.
“We have eight minutes left, miss Selena” The giantess smiled.
“Nice! Then I will have to ask you a favor.” This words came completely unexpected to three humans. What kind of favor could they ever offer to such a being.
Without letting them reflect too much Selena explained “I need you to contact my sister. Or better, I need for you to establish a communication with my sister and my aunt. I came here to reach them but I won’t be able to because of … well … my size.” She smiled a little embarrassed. “If I entered the city territory now, I’d cause a good amount of damage. And I’d prefer not to. But I need to meet them in person, so I will need for them to reach me here. Or anyway outside the city. And you are the only people that can help me send them the message.” That was a lot to process. The giantess had relatives. Relatives which lived in the city. Infinite different things came to Missy’s and Alfred’s mind simultaneously, but they didn’t have the time to explicate any.
“Please, I need your help, otherwise I don’t know how to reach them without procuring problems.” The giantess pleaded. It was quite the spectacle. A superior being pleading for help like a common woman walking down the street.
The first to talk was Missy “How much time?”
Alfred understood “Six minutes and thirty second from now” Then he started setting stuff in order to transmit a message instead of broadcasting a service. Missy cleared her voice “Okay, miss Selena. We are going to help you.” Selena smiled and gave them the phone number of her aunt.