- Text Size +

“One thing I don’t understand!” Eric shouted from the front of the van.
“What?” Alfred asked.
“How will we get their attention? I mean, I am not the math guy but with a rough calculation I guess that our van is less than a fly to them. And it’s pretty late too. I can’t get too close, I don’t want to end the night under one of those things’ sole.”
“That’s where we will need your ability at driving.” Eric looked puzzled.
“Do you see those garbage mountains?” Eric looked in the distance. They were almost inside the proper dump and there were trash hills over a hundred feet high.
“Misseeey, I am no fast and furious guy. I don’t think this old wreck would perform such a climb.”
“Yeah maybe – said Missy unabashed – But right over there, she pointed somewhere in the distance. There’s an artificial hill built to cover up decades old stuff. I analyzed the area for tonight’s story and I thought that could be a good observation point to take shots of the trucks depositing the illegal waste. We need to reach it before them, and then we’ll flicker the high beams in their direction. It’s our only chance.”

Eric kept driving and finally he managed to see the artificial hill. The stench of the dump was already penetrating their nostrils and the colossal figures were getting threateningly closer.
“Well, it seems you figured it all out. Hold on then!”
He then accelerated and the travel became distinctively rougher from then on. When they started ascending on the hilltop Missy was starting to hyperventilate. Alfred took her hand “Hey, superstar, it’ll be great! You’ll be great! That’s our chance!” Missy looked at him again and nodded.
“Our only chance.” He mumbled without being heard.

Selena and Todd were satiated and sexually satisfied for now and they were walking between the piles of garbage of the immense dump. Their shins obliterated the bigger ones, their soles flattened the smaller. When they were almost at the end of the landfill Selena could distinguish the traits of the suburbia and she stopped. Todd reached her in two steps.
“Hey, what’s up?”
She puffed “Well, look at that.” She pointed at the city streets.
“Yeah, that’s astonishing” Todd commented. Selena was impressed by his capability of focusing on the beauty of the city rather than the current situation. It warmed her heart, but didn't reduce her anxiety.
“No … that’s a problem.”
“What do you mean?”
“Look better! I mean, look at the streets.”
Todd squinted his eyes, there were very few cars in that moment, at least in the part of the city. Selena didn’t wait for him to talk “The streets are too narrow. Now that we are so close I can see it better. I don’t think we can walk safely on them.”

Todd considered the point. That was a visible problem. Their feet were far wider than the largest street he could envision, except the interstate which although was far south and didn’t lead to the place they were headed. Being a little naive as he was he delivered his only idea.
“Maybe we can ask someone to go get them!” Selena looked at him skeptical.
“I don’t know. Who will we ask? Why should he or she listen to us instead of running away? And finally, how can this benevolent person convince my aunt and my sister to go with them to the outskirt of the city? I mean, that’s insane. What kind of maniac proposes such thing?” Todd reconsidered his words.
“If only I could communicate with them, they may come themselves.” She sighed.

Todd which was looking at his feet being sorry for his not so smart proposal could notice the strange flickering light that kept turning off and on.
“Hey, what’s that?” He pointed down in the dark to the source of the light. Selena looked where he was pointing and could see the flickering light too. She crouched and got closer and closer with her face to the small hill from where the light was coming. Finally when the light of the headlights was illuminating only her chin and lower lip, she could distinguish the shape of a minuscule van. Squinting her eyes a little more she could also see two tiny figures standing on one side.

From the trio perspective it was astonishing and beyond terrifying to look at. The titans got closer and closer making the ground shake and the van wiggle on his tires with each step.
“Keep going!” Missy shout to Eric in order for him to keep flickering the headlights.
“Jeez, is it me or they look even bigger than I imagined?” Alfred commented.
“Yeah, let’s hope they are as friendly as they look!” Missy answered.
“Two walking mountains to which we aren’t more than gnats on a pile of dirt? I’d be surprised they won’t offer us cookies!” He added sarcastically. Missy smiled but she was worried as much as her colleague. Now that the giants were just a couple hundred meters away she felt the possibility of being eradicated from existence in a whiff becoming more realistic step by step.

Finally the giants stopped a hundred meters away from the artificial hill and then one of them knelt down. The impact of the knee with the ground, for as gentle as the movement was, created a shockwave strong enough to make Missy loose her balance and fall and the van engine to stop thus shutting down the light. Also the spotlights illuminating the hilltop flickered for a while. To Selena it just seemed that the whole hill flickered in and out of existence in front of her, she waited silently for the situation to stabilize.
“What’s that?” Todd asked in a soft voice.
“Shush! I can’t see well, the lights are not working properly.” Before he could think of a more intelligent thing to add, Eric had the promptness to restart the van thus turning the headlights on again, and also the spotlights stabilized and started functioning again. Thus the two visions were recomposed.

From above, Selena could see the ant figures next to the thimble sized van. One of the figures was a bit curled but standing and cleaning the dirt off her body, the other was standing and holding something quite big on one shoulder. It took at least thirty seconds for Selena to make sense of the whole scene, and the knot was untied only when she could finally identify the big object on the shoulder of the most backward tiny as a camera. They were journalists, and they were probably filming her and Todd. She felt her privacy threatened but then she remembered she was a woman the size of a small town which made her quite the news of the day, or the evening.

From below, the sight was disarming. The titaness face extended in all directions covering the sky almost completely. One of her eyes alone was the size of a tennis court. The giantess was breathing both through her nose and her mouth so the gusts of wind raised a lot of dust at the ground level. Alfred suffered this in particular because it kept ruining the quality of the shot. Missy was holding the microphone like her life depended on that while staring at the colossal woman and shaking in her whole figure. The microphone was usually to perform interviews on field and was set to isolate sounds. This time with the help of Alfred they had connected it to the largest loudspeaker they kept in the van hoping it was loud enough to be heard.

Selena was observing this almost pathetic scene in front of her and was wondering if she should have said something. She also thought that probably in this position she was too close to be understood. Based on the quite good experience she had reached discussing with the still tiny Todd, she knew she needed to stay at least a couple feet – a couple of her feet – away from those listening if they were humans. Before she could adjust her position a crackling sound could be heard. After a couple more seconds of setting, Alfred seemed to find the right frequency for the microphone to reproduce a sound loud enough to be hopefully captured by the giants’ ears and firm enough to be understood from them on the ground. Both he and Missy were wearing headphones while Eric had shut the windows and was covering his ears with his hands.

To Selena the sounds came extremely distorted for a while until in a strong background of static noise she could distinguish some words “… so … ma’ma … Coulter … reporter … stand ourlan …” Alfred could see from the stadium-sized expression on the face of the giantess that he had to keep trying with the modulation of frequencies.

Meanwhile Missy was repeating the same phrase again and again very slowly waiting for it to be understood from the giantess, and hoping for her not to loose interest or worse become hostile. After a series of random attempt Alfred found out the solution, which came as pretty unexpected but it seemed to finally work. His modulation mods had come to the point of completely distorting Missy’s voice to the lowest tones. Luckily they could still understand it, but it was quite disturbing to link such a low and deep tone to the usually sweet voice of Missy. But he could grasp from the giantess expression that it was the right tone, or at least the first she could understand.

For as strange as it may seem, when the sound finally came to a frequency Selena could understand it sounded quite squeaky to her. “Excuse me, ma’am, my name is Missy Coulter, my crew and I are independent reporter, we would like to ask you for an interview, can you understand my language?” The titaness smiled, which heartened Missy, but then she seemed to move away from their position. She wondered if the giantess had assessed they were no menace and had immediately lost interest in them. When the titaness had risen up sitting on her heels, the three heard a thunder reach their ears. The stranger thunder ever, since it came in the form of words.

“Of course I understand your language. My name is Selena, nice to meet you miss Coulter!”