- Text Size +

“I’ll be honest, I don’t think they will transmit this part of the service” Eric commented to ease the tension of the trio.
“I mean, there’s surely an enormous audience for that kind of kinky stuff, I don’t deny …”
“Can you please shut up?” Missy interrupted him.
“Sorry, Eric – she sighed – it’s just that … I mean, we are far away enough from the city to hope no other network is already covering this story, and what we get is soft-porn!”
“Well, if you call that soft-porn, I wonder what you …” Missy stared at Alfred in the least amused expression possible. Alfred felt his soul crushing on his stomach floor.
“Ehr … what do I do? Do I keep filming … that?” Missy remained silent a couple seconds
“No, you’re right. Both of you!” She looked at Alfred with the same seriousness as before and he could only gulp in response. A slight discomfort dawned on Missy again.

First the mob that didn’t show up. Sure, they are the mob and probably they’re not expected to be timely people, but still it was a let down. That could’ve been a scoop, something to enter the evening news. And then this, this unprecedented and unpredictable miracle. Possibly the chance to record images to be set in the history of television and those images were those of an overweight couple that decided to consume their lust in a dump. She thought that maybe CMS were right at telling them to fuck off. It was still prime time, and that was no show for families for sure.

Yet, hand sooner or later the necessity to communicate their discovery would’ve become urgent. Who knows what could be the intentions of those behemoths? They were pretty close to the city. And if she looked at her back the city skyline and its typical light show stood encompassing the horizon and designing the landscape in an iconic fashion. But if she looked in front of her the sheer dimension of the spectacle, the tremors, the sounds, those two giants were offering made the city look like the most obvious of the china shops waiting for the visit of not one but two chubby bulls.

She looked at her hands, one rushed to the pocket to reach for the phone, the other was holding her recorder: the most cheesy of the metaphors. The career opportunity of a life-time or just the right thing to do. Missy and her gang were the last thing standing between the titans and the outskirt of the city. If things were going to turn for the worse, at least they could give a little more time to evacuate as much people as possible. She sighed at least twice before starting dialing the emergency number.
“Ehi, ehi, ehi, they stopped. I mean he stopped!” Eric shouted.
“ssshish, are you crazy shouting like that?! Do you want them to hear us?”
“Alfred, calm down! I don’t think they can hear us … we must be less than flies to their ears.” Missy was interrupted by the conversation and she also had the time to notice that the giants were raising from the ground, possibly satiated in every respect.
Alfred continued his mumbling: “I guess you’re right. It would be a fucking nightmare to try and have a conversation with those two!”.

Missy smiled pondering the absurdity of such an occurrence. And that is when the opportunity of a life time became the right thing to do. Missy and her gang were the last thing standing between the titans and the city.
“Guys … I have to ask you a favor!”. Eric shrugged his shoulder and moved toward the van.
“What do you mean?” Alfred gulped, already presaging bad news.
“We are not going to do a report, that would be lame and more or less it is already covered by that twitch bitch!”
“Owww! Sexist!” Eric shouted.
“Whatever! - Missy shrugged his accusation - We are going to enter history not with our images but with our gestures!”
“I still don’t get it! What do you think we can do? We are three guys in a van! We can’t stop them, we are journalists not the police!”
Alfred was freaking out. It was clear that a sacred fire burned deep down in the eyes of Missy, but he was not sure if dying as an ant on the wrong tile was the better option for that evening.
“Of course we are not gonna stop them. We are not the police or the army, we are journalists. We report, and … we do interviews!” Alfred could not believe his ears. A mixed-race couple of godzillas was moving fast in their general direction, and her colleague, friend, crush and a bung of other definitions, was suggesting to drive straight toward them.
“Missy, I understand you … but we don’t even know if they can speak our language. I mean, who know what are they?!”
“It’s a risk I am willing to take. Eric are you with me?”
“Do I call CMS again? They were pretty clear not to call back, like … ever again.” Eric commented.
“Missy I don’t know if it’s worth it.”
“I … - Missy was ready to object, but looked at Alfred right in the eyes and sighed – I understand. But I need to do that. Tonight was my last chance. Money is tight, my landlord already decided to sell the house. Tonight it was make it or break it, and the safety awaiting me is that of my sister home down in the south, this was my last chance to remain in the city. This is my last chance as a journalist! We will go, you can stay here, it is a pretty safe distance I think, but I’d suggest for you to move aside from their path. I will do this interview and Eric can hold the camera for me. If we manage to do it, we’ll see tomorrow. Otherwise … I love you Alfred, you are my best friend.”

Before Alfred could say anything Missy hugged him tight and buried her face in his chest the same way she did when she was celebrating something. And then she walked to the van without turning. She seated on the passenger seat. And looked at Eric
“Ready?!” She was asking to them both. Eric opened his mouth but was interrupted by the backdoor sliding open.
“To be clear … I am not doing for all that sentimentalism over there …” Alfred said loading his stuff back on the van.
“I am doing it because I will not let Eric hold the camera. That’s just offensive for my category and the noble tradition of freelance journalism cameramen! He would probably film his feet for the whole time. We may even die for this stunt. But the heck we're going down without the top tier quality of images”. He declared triumphantly.
Missy felt her heart melting right in that moment. Now they were ready for everything.