- Text Size +

“Can you believe it?” Alfred asked to the driver visibly upset.
“It’s been three hours now that we wait! Let’s just admit it was a bust and go home, it’s becoming chilly out here!”
“What?” Eric emerged from his smartphone and turned to Alfred.
“The illegal dump, it’s not going to happen. Evidently the guy that informed Missy was caught … or he double-crossed” Alfred answered
“What does Missy say?” Eric tried to bargain.
“She will never give up, I know her. She will wait until dawn. In her words, this is our great occasion, we can sell this story to every news channel. I agree, formally, but let’s be honest …” Eric was again distracted by some videos, his puffy and hairy cheeks bathed by the insistent light of the device which in his hands looked even smaller. Alfred gave up on his rant and lighted a cigarette.
“Hadn’t you quit on that?” Eric asked still scrolling his feeds.
“What? Oh … yeah, yeah. If Cheryl asks I quit three months ago.”
“How much did you last?”
“Well … I’d say two, even three … weeks”
“Woooow! You’re the worst buddy.” The night was indeed chilly, Alfred tried to cover himself better with his sleeveless jeans jacket.
“Hey, didn’t you quit?” Missy frightened him from behind.
“Whaaoo … why do y’all keep asking me that?” Eric grinned, curved on the wheel still captured by the stories of all the influencers he followed.
“Do you have any to share for me?” Missy interrupted Alfred’s whine.
“Sure …” Missy took the cigarette directly with her mouth and got closer to help Alfred cover the small flame of the lighter from the wind that was raising. She was far shorter than him. Red curly hair to the shoulder, large amber eyes, small fleshy lips. Alfred could never help himself from staring at those lips. Once they were his to be kissed. But he chose Cheryl, the marriage, the family. Probably it was for the best. Apart from the rest, Missy was ten years younger, full of life, far more intelligent and ambitious than him. He kept inhaling the cigarette seeking more for the warm than for the nicotine, and couldn’t stop admiring her silhouette. Her torso was thin and well carved, her hips were large but proportionate. Her leg very well wrapped in the gray trousers.
 “Do you think it was all a scam, don’t you?” She asked exhaling a small cloud which swirled in front of her face before dissolving.
“Wha … oh, no, no! I mean … they probably …”
“Yeah...” she interrupted his babble and inspired the fresh air of the night with her eyes closed and her small snub nose pointed toward the sky. After another couple of seconds her eyelashes flipped and she gazed at the glimpse of milky way visible thank to the distance they have gained from the city.
“At least the sight was worth the ride!” She commented.
“Oh … yeeah, ehm yes. I mean, that’s the major advantage of declaring the whole outskirt of the city as a nature reserve. The sprawl would have devoured the plain up to hills otherwise. Instead some bad tourist investment and a strange conception of what a natural reserve is, allowed those people a century ago to save the plain, the lake, Brimstone Wood for us.” Alfred kept going in a clumsy attempt at consoling her colleague for the non-scoop.
“I know. It’s beautiful. I will miss it. All of it.” Missy sighed. Alfred followed her voice and the meaning came only one or two seconds later. When he felt what was implied in the last sentence he tried to intervene but Eric’s excitement interrupted him.
“Wo …. hooow! This is going to be banned in a matter of minutes now. Alf, look at this!”
“What’s so exciting, Eric?” Missy asked.
“Uhm? Ehi Missy, I didn’t notice you had joined us…”
“So? What is it, then?” Eric was a little embarrassed.
“Well, you see, it’s this video. I mean, it’s a little … crude!”
“Is it porn?” Missy glanced at the driver with a subtle grin.
“What? Oh … nooo, no. I mean. It is … well.”
“Come, let me see.” Missy opened her awaiting palm in front of him asking for the phone. Reluctantly, Eric complied. Missy observed the screen
“ChunLissa? What is this? Is it one of those sexy twitch girls? Eric you’re a grown ass man” Missy joked. Alfred leaned on Missy’s shoulder to better see the screen.
“Ok, let’s see!”. She pressed play.

The phone buzzed with the voice of the streamer delivered in a slightly metallic tone. The camera was clearly hand-held and pointing at a girl in a yellow tank top. She looked frightened and her speech was kind of confusing. But then the camera moved and framed the well known landscape of the plain and the city. And there they stood. Well, they sat down but still they towered like twin monoliths. Missy didn’t got it at first, but then the video kept going and her mind composed the rightful perceptual framework to acknowledge the actual content of the video.
“Pfff, this is as fake as it gives.” Alfred shrugged. Eric looked at both before talking.
“No, yeah, I mean of course. But still, it’s very strange.”
“What?” Missy asked.
“Well, you see … this girl, I mean … she is a streamer. She covers gaming, life coaching stuff …”
“Life coaching?” Missy asked skeptical. "Is she older than sixteen or what?"
“Yes, life coaching, but that’s not the point. She never did anything like that. She didn’t even ever showed any skill with FX. She, at most, plays with filters”
“What do you mean? Do you think that’s no FX?”
“Those are pretty good visual effect for someone that only plays with filters.” Missy commented.
“Those are very well defined FX. I agree. I just wonder why publish a video this strange!” Eric continued.
“It must be some viral campaign for an upcoming series, or movie.”
“Right, probably!” Eric conceded. Missy was thoughtful.
“It is still very … unusual.”
“Well, yes! Those fucking tv guys be damned. They keep pushing the strangest ideas, and I still can’t get a good sequel for …”
“They are clearly naked! And not in an alluring fashion.” Missy interrupted Alfred.
“I mean. Look, here you can clearly distinguish his … shaft!”
“Uhm?” Alfred looked back at the screen.
“Yeah, buddy! Look at her bewbs … I mean breast” Eric blushed in the dark of the van.
“And they are also … - Missy kept going – not the usual models. I mean they are a little bit chubby. Both of them!”
“Come on! That’s all politics. Chubby, diverse couple. It must be something about body acceptance and shit like that. Didn’t you mention she was a health influencer or something, Eric?” Alfred counter argued.

Missy kept staring at the screen passing from frame to frame, she was visibly absorbed by the images. Alfred lightened another cigarette. Missy passed the phone back to Eric which reached for it with his right hand. A sudden quake shook the earth in that precise moment. It struck the three of them and Missy let the phone slip from her hand. In the distance rubbish could be heard tumbling down from the mountain of trash that formed the skyline of the landfill.
“Fuck!” She commented looking at the shattered glass of the screen.
“What the heck was that?” Alfred asked biting hard on the cigarette. Eric opened the door of the van in order to get down.
“It looked like an earthqua …” Another quake stroke, interrupted Eric’s statement and made him slip the foot and almost fall to the ground out of the van.
“Earthquakes? Here? It’s since the thirties that we don’t have earthquakes!” Alfred exclaimed. Another couple quakes followed soon after. They were not as surprising as the first two, but they also seemed a bit more perceptible. Every quake was followed by a thundering “thud” in the distance.
“What do we do?” Eric asked.
“I’ll tell you what. Get back in the van. We are leaving. This is the great story we were not expecting for. And if we are lucky enough we will be the first to get in the street ready to film it.” Missy stared in the distance, beyond the mountains of trash. Eric moved toward the driver’s seat again when she stopped him.
“Eric, set the camera and the antenna. We are going live from here! Alfred call the guys at CSM and tell them to air us in five minutes!” She ordered. In Alfred’s experience only Missy had this ability to completely transform her minute figure into such a commanding one with a couple of sentences.
“Wha-hat? Missy, we are in a friggin’ junkyard. CSM will never air us. We need to reach Elvin Square at least to show if there are consequences. Come on …” He was complaining with his hand in the air and giving his back to his colleague. She put a hand on his shoulder and made him turn abruptly.
“They won’t air the earthquake’s consequences, they will air the causes.”

Alfred couldn’t focus his sight at first but in a matter of seconds his eyes accustomed to the dark. The moon was shining high in the sky, the stars were bright and the landfill was cleared by tens of spotlights all over its fences. This light was enough to make Missy’s words clear. Two giant figures in the distance. They were getting closer and closer, and the evergrowing quakes perfectly matched their steps. Alfred could not believe it, they were both bigger than life. Just one of them would have been enough for a lifetime of strangeness, but the two of them multiplied the effect.

She was an Afro-American woman with enormous breast, protruding belly and a serene smile on her face. Apart from her look of a quiet nudist girl carelessly strolling on the beach, her size was inconceivable. She was taller than the tallest skyscraper Alfred had ever encountered. And far wider. The other giant, walking hand in hand with her, was even bigger in every direction. He had a proud and slightly hairy belly announcing him. Large pecs and shoulders, muscular arms under a visible layer of fat. His chin started where the head of the titaness ended. He looked back and forth at her and at the landscape at his feet. The contrast in both figures was manifest. She had dark skin and hair as black as it gives. He was pale and covered in freckles, his crotch, chest and upper lip were hairy but in a very clear shade of blond. They could be directed anywhere but it was clear they were getting closer and closer to the trio’s position.
Alfred couldn’t stop staring, his mouth wide open. Missy shook him. He looked at her completely shaken and tried to argument “They … th-they are the …” 
Missy completed “They are the big story we were never expecting for.”