- Text Size +

I woke up from the nap and for a brief hopeful moment I thought I had finally got out of that crazy dream. It was sufficient to reach my back with my hand to meet the raw surface of the cliff I was resting on and within the sensation of the irregular surface scratching my fingertips the awareness that that dream was not one of those akin to be escaped by the sound of an alarm clock. I closed my eyes again to clean my view. Possibly my mind too.Then I looked down where I saw the head of Mimi slightly moving. She was half-asleep and kept kissing the air in front of her face, it looked like she was gasping like a fish. I woke her gently. She raised her head and opened her eyes while smiling relaxed.
“He-ey! How did you sleep?”
“Fine, you know what they say: nothing makes a better choice for a nap than the side of a mountain!” I joked.
She smiled again with her eyes closed again.
Then she yawned as hard as she could and added: “Oh jeez! I am so hungry. Like, I feel my stomach is eating itself.” Her stomach was growling since a while now.
“I know Mee, but we lost the bag with the sandwiches.” I excused myself.
“Meh, it would have not been that much now, wouldn’t it.”
“I don’t know Mee, you mother makes them very heavy.”
“Mmmf, I wish I could have a turkey sandwich now, like sooo much!” She lamented pretending to cry a little. “What do skyscrapers eat?” She continued.
“Ehm … employee and directors’ boards?” I answered.
“Mmm, yummy! I wish I could have a sandwich packed with business people!” She joked with me.
“Do you … do you think we can eat the trees now?” She asked after a pause in which she kept curling a tuft in front of her face.
“What? The trees? Roots and branches?”
“I mean, they are not that hard anymore, maybe we can chew on them? Don’t you? There’s only trees around here. Plenty of them.”
“Yeah, I don’t think it would be a good idea. Our stomachs are not designed to digest wood.”
She snorted out of frustration. “Yuck! Plenty of trees I can’t eat and water I can’t drink.”
I also was considering our condition. We were like shipwrecked adrift with no more water and food. Well, things were still pretty fine at the moment, but I wondered how long could we resist the hunger and the thirst and luckily a feeble memory hit me in that moment.
“Wait. There is water we can actually drink!” I exclaimed.
“What?” Mimi asked surprised.
“You wanted to take me to visit that river, how do you call it?”
“Oh yeah! The Silver Tail!”
“Yeah, That stuff! Isn’t it just behind the mountain side on the other side of the city?” I asked hopeful.
“Oh yeah! It is just beyond there.”
She pointed at the mountain that designed a corner on the other side of the city. She stood first. I followed her helping me getting up by putting my hand on the first surface I could find. It was a little football field. It could not stand very long under my weight and it sank into the sea. I excused myself again. But at this point the list of damages we had caused was already too long to keep note of it. Mimi had already taken her course when I stopped her touching her left arm to recall her attention.

To my surprise and Mimi’s as well there it was the only thing which at that point we both were desperate to find anymore. People. People aware of our presence, but brave or inconsiderate enough to remain close enough to be spotted. I worried a little more now for the little football field I sank before. What if there were people there too. The fact that the curious crowd was trembling but almost still I tried to deduce nobody had gone further than them.
“Is it what I think it is?” Mimi asked with a worried and marveled tone.
“I think it is what it is.” I answered completely unaware of how stupid it must have sounded.
They were a thick group, twenty or more, but nobody seemed to be in charge. They were just casual spectators. I could distinguish at least an old couple and a group of guys, our age maybe, pushing and hitting each other pointing at Mimi. I kind of disliked it, but also kind of liked it. Of course, I considered it a little inappropriate to point at my naked girlfriend in front of me. But on the other hand, she was not only my girlfriend anymore. She was taller than a mountain, a real world wonder. It made me feel kind of proud for her. She interrupted this meditation of mine asking:
“Should we make them understand we noticed them?”
“I don’t know. How?”
“Well ...” she paused. Then she looked directly at the crowd, smiled ear to ear and waved with both hands. People were surprised to be recognized, for the most part. But after some moments of doubt most of them waved back.
“Yay! - Mimi celebrated – I feel like a pop star on vacation now! Come on, say hello to our first fans.”
I didn’t share her enthusiasm, but I didn’t want to stand there like a statue of salt with my hands on my side. I waved too. The people seemed to be more encouraged by my participation in the salutations’ exchange and started waving with more conviction. They also whistled and cheered. It was very strange. I probably became red for embarrassment. I’m not anti-social, it’s just that I don’t like to be at the center of attention in general. Something extremely in conflict with my current condition of being taller bigger than a city center.
Mimi, instead, had already left every hesitancy. She was not only waving but also posing. She was making heart shapes with her finger and breaking it with kisses directed to the admirers. I could clearly distinguish the boys on the front row pretending to be hit and faint. I felt an incredible urge to shake my head in disappointment, but Mimi looked just too gleeful for these attentions that not even I could ruin her happiness.
“Can we get closer to them? Please. They love us!”
“Eh … what? Why are you asking me? I think we should go seek that river. Aren’t you thirsty anymore?”
She shrugged her shoulders and turned back to her audience. “Come on! They’re so goddamn cute! I want to get just a little closer. Please! Come on! It will take just a moment.” She made the big eyes. I really felt uncomfortable with all that. But there was no resistance possible, so I nodded.
“Yay! - she celebrated – I just want to take a look at this teeny tiny troop.” She said the last words while crouching on the ground.


The ground being, since a while, the water of the sea near the coastline, which was flat and calm. Of course the commotion following Mimi’s change of position determined several waves to hit the shore and even surmounting the wall separating the beach from the street sprinkling almost everyone of the small group of onlookers. After she was on all four, she put her forearms down, elbow in the see but hands around the little parking lot where the crowd had formed. Her butt was proudly up in the air but luckily for me alone to enjoy. Finally she approached the crowd with her head as much as she could. It must have been something astonishing from their point of view. Her head cast an enormous shadow on the whole parking lot and the nearby area. It must have been like an eclipse in broad light. Some people backed a little, but most of them stood there waiting for the next move of the giantess. Mimi’s eyes were glowing. Her body was completely tight.

Finally the group of boys pushed one of them in a yellow swimsuit out of the line in front of her. Her breath coming from her nostrils was enough to generate a strong current that rhythmically rocked everybody’s clothes back and forth. She put her chin on the hands resting on the beach. Her nose was almost touching the concrete in the parking lot. The boy was extremely hesitant. I didn’t want to try any further move. His friends were enthusiastically encouraging him to step forward. Some other people were maybe trying to call him back. The enormous pupils of Mimi were following every single movement of the boy and the crowd to the point of crossing each other. After ten steps, excruciating to wait for, he was close enough for a contact. He stretched his arm toward the far point of Mimi’s nose while looking in the opposite direction. She closed her eyes as hard as she could shivering in anticipation. And finally he touched her. Mimi made an extremely acute noise to contain her exultation. It was at the same time the most annoying and adorable thing one could watch that afternoon. He kept his hand on her nose a little. When she opened her eyes again he retreated slowly without breaking eye contact.

Mimi raised her head back, and helped herself with her arms to gain a sitting position on her heels. The ground shook probably, but the only way for me to perceive that was the reaction of the crowd in which more than one person struggled to keep balance. She leaned back forward and whispered in her softest voice.
“Thank you everybody. You are the cutest! Now we have to go find a drink! Eh eh!” And winked at the guy in yellow swimsuit.

I offered her my hand to stand up again. She put her foot forward to leverage. The impact of the foot with the sea created a big wave that impacted really hard the shoreline and sprayed all over the crowd. The hit was also hard enough to make the soil tremble and more than a person sought for a support in order to don’t fall. Mimi excused herself for the accident, then she stood next to me. She kissed goodbye and then kissed me on the cheek.
“OK! Now we go.” And she started walking wiggling her behind probably in a failed attempt to wag an imaginary tail.