- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Just setting the stage and providing exposition

Vomit. Urine. Alcohol. Weed.

Thomas Abernathy scrunched his nose as his Armani loafers walked along the uneven pavement and bricks of New Orleans’ French Quarter. He had never had any desire to come to the ‘Big Easy’, but thanks to the insistence of his group of friends, he decided to come along to enjoy Mardi Gras. As his friends often said, “You’re only 26, live a little before you’re an old man”.

It’s not that Thomas didn’t know how or like having a good time, it’s just that his idea of fun was different from his buddies from college. He enjoyed sitting back in his condo overlooking downtown Chicago, sipping on an expensive scotch, and watching the world’s financial markets ebb and flow; always trying to find the right thing and time to buy and sell. Ever counting his increasing net worth.

Thomas sighed as he took a sip of the tall green cup gripped firmly in his left hand. A ‘hand grenade’ the brightly lit neon had advertised it as. To Thomas, it was a sickening sweet assortment of unknown juices and liquors.

“Cheer up, Tommy! Relax! You’ll be back in your dark cave in a few days, stowed away from the world, back to making your millions.” Thomas’ old roommate nudged his ribs.

“Shut up, Ryan.” Thomas took another sip of his drink and cringed.

“Dude. You really need to lighten up. For as long as I’ve known you, you’ve never been any fun. I mean, you’re a great guy, that’s why I asked you to be my best man, but, you know, live a little. You never know when your life could be over.” Ryan shot back, looking his friend up and down with sympathy.

Though Thomas had gone on to become the most traditionally successful of all his friends, it was all of them who held sympathy for their former friend. Yes, he could afford to take frivolous vacations. Yes, he had the finest wardrobe money could buy. Yes, he lived in a gorgeous living space. But it was all without substance. It was if Thomas was playing a game for the highest score without enjoying the game itself.

Meanwhile, Ryan and all of other Thomas’ College and Work Friends all had families or were filling their social media accounts about “finding” themselves in Southeast Asia or getting lost and getting familiarized with random local cultures around the world.

“I mean. I just don’t get it.” Thomas took one more sip, praying the drink would be empty soon. “Thousands of people cramped up against one another, jostling for cheap trinkets made in some unknown factory for pennies. All so they can get hungover, puke on one another, and forget it all by the next morning with a throbbing headache.”

Ryan, exasperated, shot back, “Look, man. It’s not necessarily about the kitschy shit, or the girls bearing their breasts, or getting backout drunk. That’s something you never got. It’s about the experience. New things to see or do. Ways to keep ourselves sane so that we can that existential dread for just another day.”

Thomas laughed. “And I’m the non-fun one.”

Ryan punched his friend in the side, “Finish your drink. I want to buy you a Hurricane next.”

Thomas fake gagged and two friends worked themselves through the throngs of thousands of others on to the next bar Ryan had itinerated.

As Ryan and Thomas squeezed into the next bar, the two friends were lucky enough to find a seat bar counter itself.

Ryan caught the eyes of one of the bartenders and held up 2 fingers. “TWO HURRICANES PLEASE!” he yelled over the deafening din of the crowd around them.

With a nod, the bartender recognized Ryan’s order and stepped off to prepare the drinks.

Meanwhile, Thomas scouted the small building. His eyes floated from left to right. People stood shoulder to shoulder. Some like himself, dressed in suites and ties, others tshirts and shorts. Some almost completely naked. That’s when his eyes settled on somebody. Thomas couldn’t make out why, but it was almost as if his eyes were pulled toward the sight.

Standing near the back of the bar ,by a door he hadn’t noticed when he first walked in, stood a tan brunette. She was a tall girl, probably 5’11 or 5’10 – at least a few inches shorter than Thomas’ own 6foot 2inches. Her face was hidden behind a masquerade mask, coloured purple and adorned with a gold border. Meanwhile, an emerald, green slit sundress draped her shoulder, accentuating a fit body.

Thomas couldn’t take her eyes off her. He continued staring for the next 30 seconds until both their eyes locked. The girl’s eyes matched her dress, a deep green, almost unnatural. A playful smirk crossed her lips and she tilted her head back, signalling Thomas to go her way.

Without a word, Thomas rose from the bar stool and, seemingly, glided over the floor and mass of people to meet this girl and say hello…

Ryan grabbed both the large drinks from the bartender and handed him a $100 bill. “KEEP THE CHANGE!” he shouted. As he turned to hand his friend his drink, Ryan was surprised to find Thomas’ seat had been taken by another patron.

“DID YOU SEE WHERE THE GUY WHO WAS SITTING HERE WENT?” he shouted. This merely earned a headshake form the new body in his friend’s seat.

He scanned the bar, but found no sign of his friend. He shrugged. “Maybe the guy finally decided to have some fun.” He thought to himself and began drinking from both glasses…