- Text Size +
    The early morning sun streaked between the tall buildings in the neighborhoods around Laetitia's apartment, leaving her sidewalk mostly in shadow. Walking briskly towards her car on the edge of the parking lot, she fumbled with her keys, dropping them onto the pavement.
    "Oh, hell..." She breathed as she bent over to pick them up, while at the same time there was a squeal of brakes as a truck stopped behind her.
    "You're comin' with us sweetheart." Yelled a low, male voice.
    Spinning around, Laetitia saw a muscular man taller than herself, wearing a ski mask, and reaching for her.
    "Noooooo! Hellllp!" She screamed, digging in her purse for her mace, but it was too late.
    He was fast, and the butt of his gun was already slamming into the back of her head. As she fell to the ground, and drifted out of consciousness, she had time for one last thought:
    'This day is not starting off well.'
    "Shit, dude, that was rough. We've gotta' go. Throw her in the back of the truck!" Yelled the other criminal as he leapt from the driver's seat. Heading for the back, he threw open the rolling door and gawked at the machine inside.
    "What the fuck is that?" He asked.
    "Figure it out later." Said the larger man, heaving Laetitia's limp body to the vehicle. "Get her in there."
    Callously throwing Laetitia into the chamber of the machine, the larger man hung onto her purse as they shut the door and jumped back into the cab. Revving the engine, they ran through a red light and turned onto the highway, heading for the warehouse district.
    Had they been paying attention, they would have noticed that Laetitia's head bumped into the control panel as she was callously tossed into the machine. This happened to drastically reconfigure the machine, aiming it towards a unique dimension in the unexplored multiverse. More importantly though is that her hand was resting on a big, green button. In a deep sleep and completely unaware, Laetitia's fingers twitched ever so slightly, pressing the button, and activating the machine.
   "Dude, do you hear something?" The criminal in the driver's seat asked his partner who was rummaging through Laetitia's purse.
   "Naw, what are you on about?" The other replied, holding up some cash.
   "There, I think there's something wrong with the truck. There's a high-pitched whining."
   "Hey, you right. It's getting louder!"
   "I'm gonna' pull over and check it out. Over there, that alley looks good."
   Turning off the highway, he steers the truck into a narrow alleyway between two large brick buildings. Hopping down from the cab, both men looked under the truck, walking towards the back.
    The noise was deeper, becoming more of a hum and beginning to throb slowly. Reaching the back of the truck, they both saw a glow of purple light emanating from the crack under the door. Cautiously reaching for the handle, the bigger man lifted it, and let the door slide upward. They both stared, slack-jawed at the spectacle inside.
    Arcs of purple lightning danced within the machine's chamber, covering Laetitia's body and intermittently flashing over the outside. Still unconscious, she was levitating in the center of the strange device, her dress billowing around her body and her hair flying around her head as energy flowed over and into her.
    "What the Fu--" The smaller man began exclaiming, but was cut off as two large bolts of lighting shot from the machine. Firing directly into each man's chest, the lightning was instantly fatal, and their corpses fell to the surface of the dirty asphalt of the alley. The professor would have been glad to know his creation avenged his death.
    Accessing a dimension of power beyond anything science has ever known, the machine transformed Laetitia's body and clothing, atom by atom, particle by particle. Mysterious forces flowed from the alternate dimension, filling her mind, body, and clothing with its alien physics.
    And then it stopped.
    The machine switched to standby, and the humming became softer as Laetitia's body slowly descended. She came to rest on the floor of the chamber, her hair sticking out in a comically shocking pattern. The humming ebbed away, and for the second time that morning Laetitia gradually opened her eyes.
    "Ugh. Where am I?" She asked, stirring softly as she regained consciousness. Her claustrophobia alerted her that she was enclosed in some sort of small metal space, and adrenaline flooded her system.
    "Ooh! Out, out, out! Get me out!" She panicked, scooting herself out of the machine and dropping down on her feet behind the truck. She felt woozy, which was understandable having been hit on the head, but she was surprised to see the dead bodies of her attackers lying on the ground.
     Her bladder let her know that for whatever reason, she desperately needed to pee. Wanting to get away from her kidnappers truck, she staggered out of the alley and onto the sunlit sidewalk. The block was empty at this hour, but a few cars sped down the street as usual, and she looked up at the sign on the building.
    "Brummer Bakery" she softly read aloud.
    'There's got to be a bathroom' she thought, turning into the entryway. Immediately inside, she was refreshed by the smell of fresh cinnamon rolls and a sign for the ladies' room. Going down the narrow hallway, she was grateful to find the facilities unoccupied and clean.
    Looking in the mirror as she dried her hands, Laetitia ran her fingers through her hair, smoothing it, then wiping the dirt from her face. Her dress still looked good, the thin yellow fabric showing a peek at her string bikini around its low-cut neckline. She ran her fingers around her shoulders, tucking the bikini straps back under her dress, and smiled at her reflection.
    It was then she noticed something was odd about the wall behind her. Turning around for a closer look at the dark red bricks revealed nothing unusual. Reaching out, she touched the wall with her fingers, then pressed her palm against it. It felt like it was moving.
    "Must be dizzy." She mumbled to herself. Staring between her fingers at the individual bricks, she realized the wall wasn't moving, her hand was, even though she was standing still.
    The it hit her: She was growing.
    Spinning around to face the mirror again, she stared into her own eyes as they rose to the top of the glass, and out of view.
    "Shit! Shit, shit, shit, shit." She swore, overwhelmed with yet another unwelcome event. "I've got to get out of here." Stumbling down the narrow hallway, she looked at the high ceiling getting closer, but she stopped when she reached the open doorway. She would have to stoop to pass through, and once she was out in the restaurant, people would see her, and she didn't want to draw attention. She noticed her clothes were growing with her, and was glad for that, but she would still stick out like a sore thumb.
    Debating on the best course of action did not stop her growth though, and her body continued to rise until her head softly nudged the high ceiling.
    "Damn, that's enough times today!" She cursed through clenched teeth, really not enjoying having her head bumped so many times. Just wanting to have a minute to think, she got down on her hands and knees. Now she could see through the opening into the large lobby of the bakery, where a dozen people were already enjoying their morning coffee and donuts. She was growing too fast, and she didn't want to be trapped by the bathrooms. Gritting her teeth, Laetitia crawled through the doorway.
    People instantly began staring and murmuring.
    "Look at that."
    "What's happening to her?"
    "She's a giant!"
    Sitting onto her legs, Laetitia stretched her torso upwards. It was a good thing the industrial chic of the converted warehouse had a high ceilings, though her head was already approaching the rafters. Shame flushed her face as the people looked at her like a freak and began backing away.
    "Please, I don't know why this is happening." She said, the volume of her voice shocking the people as well as herself. As they continued to back away, she looked up at the approaching ceiling.
    "Not this time." She said softly, raising both hands. She pushed her palms up against the beams supporting the floor above. The timbers cracked and groaned as she pressed up into them, and the ceiling dropping bits of plaster onto the people below.
    That's when they panicked.
    Screams filled the room as everyone in the lobby dashed around her and out the front door. Behind the counter, the employees were heading towards the back exit, but Laetitia's attention was on the ceiling she couldn't avoid.
    Still growing, she had to bend her head down, pressing her upper back into the ceiling as she pulled away the beams, ripping open a hole in the wooden floor of the next story. Splintering timbers showered down over her chest and arms while she growled in frustration. Closing her eyes, she stuck her head up through the hole until she felt her shoulders hit the ceiling, but she still continued to grow.