- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Just a short, sappy romance story inspired by a cute anime by the name of Tsuredure Children, which follows a bunch of high school couples going through the awkwardness of teen romance. I mean to write more chapters in the future, but no promises—my tastes and interests are a fickle thing. Either way, I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

-----

“Jason, I... I like you!”

The words burst from Lily's chest and gushed out her mouth as though by their own force, refusing to stay dammed up any longer.

“I like you,” they came again, softer and more confident as her tongue grew familiar with them. “I really like you.” The breath with which she spoke them fluttered over Jason's face, rustling his short black hair. It was a breeze as soft as her words, yet he looked so off-balance she thought it might topple him and send him careening off her desk; he was such a little thing that she always felt as if anything might break him in half.

Jason said nothing as the full weight of her confession settled on him.

Lily liked him.

Lily liked him?

How could she possibly like him? Who was he to receive the affections of such an angel as her, when she deserved so much more than he could ever give her?

She liked him?

Yes, she liked him—this she knew without a doubt. Liked him more than anything in the world. Maybe even more than liked him. To finally admit it had her feeling giddy, as though floating in the air. Yet, there was another weight left—the unanswered question: What would he say?

Jason bowed his head, fists shaking at his sides.

“Jason?” Lily asked, her heart sinking in her chest.

“Lily...” he said. “You shouldn't... you shouldn't bother with me. You don't know what you're doing. Forget about this; let's just stay friends, okay?”“Do you hate me, Jason?” Lily asked, suddenly convinced that Jason must harbor a terrible revulsion for her.

“What!? No! I don't hate you at all! I think you're a great person!”“Then is there someone else you like? I'm sorry if there is, I didn't mean to make you feel awkward and...”“No, it's not that either. There's no one else.”“Then why? Why are you turning me down? Please, tell me. I need to be sure... sure you don't hate me.”“I... I'm sorry, Lily. This is... It's not that I don't like you, but you should really be with someone else.”“Someone else? Like who?”

“I don't know. Someone better. Someone your size. Someone who can hug you and kiss you and carry you in his arms. Someone who can take care of you. I mean, just look at me—I don't even reach your ankles! There's no way I could give you everything you deserve. I wish I could, but... You're a great person, Lily. I know you can find someone better.”“There's no one better! Jason, you're a great guy too. I don't care if I'm with someone who can hold me. I don't care if you can't carry me in your arms. I want what only you can give me. I want you.”Lily pushed her chair back and crouched until her chin rested on the edge of the desk. “Jason... do you like me?”His eyes shot up, staring into hers. “I do like you. I really do. But...”“Do you think I'm dumb?”

“God, no! You're the smartest girl I know.”

“Then don't you think I'm smart enough to know what I want?”“...”

“I want to be with you, Jason. And you... don't you also want to be with me?”“... I do.”

“Then, can't we just be together?”

Lily said no more, only watching the inner conflict play out on his face. At last he looked into her eyes and spoke.

“Okay,” he said. “Okay.”