- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It has been a good long while since my last upload. Apologies for that, college hitting me with those curveballs. Spring break is just around the corner though. Hoping to write some then. 

Mostly a plot focused chapter. No real kinks. 

Enjoy it or hate it I'll see you next time...whenever that is

Lynette staved off her boredom by scrolling through her phone. In almost every news article she read and website she entered she saw talk of people working to ensure beta's safety everywhere.

 

The very idea caused her to grimace. "How safe can you be when you're hardly a few inches tall?"

 

She held a disdain for the miniature humans, but it was hidden well enough. At least to the point where no one thought otherwise.

 

Well, no one important anyway.

 

But the more she looked the more Lynette had to wonder. Just how much of the world was still changing?

 

The Beta Epidemic had reached all corners of the globe, and while there were acts to try and prevent a disaster nothing could stop the inevitable change that was bound to come.

 

"Lyza sure knew where to invest." In the early days of the epidemic, her sister had made the wise choice of buying a share in Antilirin, the medicine that reduces one's shrinking. Made her one hell of a mint.

 

But what was a poor addition to that plan was announcing to the world that she was an alpha, one of the few who would never shrink.

 

Lyza was a beta. Lynette figured that out long ago. And, while not as clever as her older sister, Lynette knew an advantage when she saw one.

 

So when she saw the designs in her sister's office she knew she just had to meet the person who helped make them.

 

The only issue was she had no idea who they were. "Maybe it's Lyza's freaky girlfriend..."

 

The thought had crossed her mind. Maya and Lyza had known each other for little more than a year. Yet in that time the two were inseparable. It made Lynette sick.

 

"Maybe they're a beta" Lynette mused. "Now that would be fun." She could already picture dragging the barely human under her heel, forcing them to do as they wished.

 

Maybe if they were lucky they'd get on her good side. Lynette wondered if she could even bed them. Anything to hold her older sister under her thumb.

 

As if on cue, Lynette saw her sister's car pull to the side of the dinner she had chosen. One of the more expensive in Los Demonios, certainly out of the price range of even some of the one percent. Thankfully, she and Lyza could easily afford it.

 

Judging by the looks on her older sister's face as they left their car it was clear they wanted to get this over and done with.

 

Lynette took notice of the fact that it was only her sister who exited the vehicle. "So they're a beta" She summarized. "Splendid"

 

Putting on her best smile Lynette greeted her sister in the one manner she could.

 

"Glad to see you out of the office, cow." The vein that formed at the top of their brow was well worth the rage-filled glare.

 

Lyza quickly calmed down, barely even saying a word as she entered the restaurant.

 

The two women took their seats before ordering their drinks. Both chose wine of the more expensive variety. Expensive enough to pay off the loans of those deeply in debt.

 

Lynnette wished to allow things to evolve naturally, but she couldn't contain her curiosity.

 

"I take it you brought your little designer?" She questioned, though already knowing the answer. "Get it? Cause he's a beta right?"

 

Lyza groaned in annoyance. "Yes, I brought him. Just calm down okay?"

 

Gently, Lyza reached into her pants pocket before carefully pulling out her closed hand. Resting it on the table she revealed Six, to a very surprised Lynette.

 

He was small. Smaller than she had expected. And wrapped in what seemed to be bandaged. Not the type of beta she was expecting.

 

"This is some joke right?"

 

His clothes were impressive, she'll give him that. But everything else was hardly worth her notice. Even with his body covered head to toe in bandages, Lynette was having trouble believing the beta in front of her was anything special.

 

"Well, this certainly isn't what I was expecting." She had hoped for someone bigger. Someone she could manipulate more easily. She'd have to work more for somebody she could hardly see and hear.

 

And the clothes he designed. Did he write those she had seen down himself? "Of course not" she thought. "He looks even more useless than other betas."

 

Still, there had to be some sort of worth he had if it meant he was under Lyza's employ. His mind most likely. Pointing out the absurdity in existing fashion and instead favoring a more simple design, much like the one whose hand he was on. It was no wonder he managed his way into Lyza's good graces.

 

But the one drawback was that he was just so SMALL. Lynette couldn't have any fun with this.

 

Six said something that Lynette couldn't hear. His voice was barely audible to her. Too small to reach her ears.

 

"Excuse me?" Lynette cupped a hand around her ear, hoping that would help. It didn't.

 

"He said he isn't what you were expecting, right?" Lyza chimed in. She's had more than enough time to get used to Six's minuscule voice. Both her and Maya. Hearing him now came naturally, and was necessary for him to hold conversations with anyone else.

 

Of course, Lynette wouldn't let such a talent go to waste. "Well look at you big sis. Design work didn't cut it so now you're a translator. Mother always did say you loved the sound of your voice."

 

Lyza had to resist throwing her, now arrived, wine in her sister a face. Every moment with her was met with insult after insult. But she had to endure. For at least a few hours.

 

"Now then little guy..." Lynette leaned onto the table as she looked down towards the beta before her. "What do you do for my sister?"

 

The following hour consisted of some of the most stressful moments of Six's life. He wouldn't say he's a bad liar, but from Lynette's overall disposition it was clear she was quick on catching any false truths. He had to be careful in what he said around her.


"Where are you from? Where do you live? Why do you wear bandages?"

Questions not easily answered. It was clear she was probing him for any sort of information she could use. Possibly against her sister. She was skilled in discerning fact from fiction, that much seemed evident. 


Thankfully Six had Lyza, the designer more than capable of meeting her sister's questions with quick and aggressive answers.

 

"Max here has worked with me for a few months now," Lyza said. A fabricated story, of course. She even had a fake name for the beta. "In that time he's proven to be an invaluable asset."

 

Lynette wasn't ceasing in her relentless questioning, however. Her sister's intervention only prompted them to ask even more. It grew to the point where Six felt as though he was the third wheel now. Even more, he was supposed to be the one who was originally invited.

 

Just his luck that he was caught between two conflicting women.

 

At least Lynette was easy on the eyes.

 

Maya was certainly attractive, as was Lyza. Both had their issues, of course, but beyond that, they were rather easy on the eyes. But compared to Lynette it was no contest.

 

Her pink hair and green eyes would allure any man or woman. And quickly would their sight fall to the woman's ENORMOUS chest. Positively massive compared to her sisters.

 

Six had to forcefully turn his head away but he was almost certain he was caught in the act of oogling the titanic tits.

 

Lynette smiled before puffing out her chest, even more, resting her arms directly underneath to inch the mound towards the beta.

 

Lyza sighed in exasperation. She should have expected this. Her sister knew how best to use her assets. It was how she was able to make so many lasting relationships with other companies. Wandering eyes were less likely to look towards a contract.

 

Tapping the table, the act shaking Six as though it were a minor earthquake, was sufficient in helping the beta avert his eyes. Her eyes showed the most minor hints of disappointment. But beyond it, there was an iota of amusement.

 

"Don't tell me, you're that easy~?" Lyza questioned, somewhat teasing in her inquiry. "Don't let my sister get the better of you, Maxwell. She's just as likely to suck you up rather than suck you off."

 

Lynette ground her teeth but retained her smile. even then, her anger was clear to Lyza and it brought the older woman some satisfaction. Six found it somewhat amusing, to see them go back in forth in their bickering. 


If only he wasn't the one caught in the middle of it all.

 

"Don't be like that, Lyza" Lynette feigned pain. "You'll make me sound like some whore."

 

Lyza sneered at the idea that her sister was anything but. "Aren't you?" The designer recalled the many instances where her sister was able to 'seal' some otherwise impossible deals. '"I'd say you've put out for everyone you've held a contract with. Slept with half of them, and blew the rest from under their own desks. If you ain't a whore then maybe you're just..."

 

"Don't you dare say slut." Lynette growled.

 

Rather than be intimidated Lyza just swirled the wine in her glass. "Persuasive, dear. I was going to say persuasive."

 

The tension was so thick that Six felt as though he could cut it from the air. 

 

Thankfully, the two were stopped from ripping into each other by a waiter coming to claim their order. Both women ordered steaks, well-done for Lynette and rare for Lyza. And much to Six's relief, the two women sat in silence as they waited for their food.

 

"Some date this is" Six thought. He found it funny how the two were so easily able to go for each other's throats. He used to think he was the only one who could get under Lyza's skin so completely.

 

When the food finally did come Lynette showed surprise when she saw Six with nothing to eat.

 

"Not hungry little guy?" She asked. "Or does my sister not pay you enough to where you can't afford even an appetizer here?"

 

"I'm not really a food person" the beta replied, having to rely on Lyza to relay what he said.

 

A smile crept onto Lynette's face when she heard this. An opportunity to not only mess with her sister but also to toy with Six.

 

"Come now Max, you have to eat something" the goddess of a woman urged on. "Here, why don't you try some of this"

 

Cutting off the smallest piece of her steak that she could manage Lynette brought the fork that held it closer to Six.

 

Initially, the beta backed away, originally out of unease before she continued to pressure him on. Then it became out of dread. If she wasn't careful she could likely jab him with the prongs. While it wouldn't pierce his man-made skin it still would hurt terribly. Luckily Lyza thought it best to intervene.

 

Slamming her fork in front of Six she was able to stop her sister's advance.

 

"He said he wasn't hungry." Lyza reaffirmed. "Just let Max be."

 

Not one to give up Lynette instead now reached for her glass of wine. "Nonsense. So far things my little date here hasn't had much of a word in anything we've discussed. He must be bored out of his mind. At the very least he should have a drink right?"

 

Lynnette brought the glass closer to Six but was once again stopped by her sister who held their hand at bay.

 

"Just stop" Lyza demanded. "He said he didn't want anything so just leave it."

 

"Stop being a hardass." Lynette shot back as she tried to wrestle her hand free.

 

Their struggle was constantly shifting back and forth and Six wasn't sure who'd come out on top. What he did know though was any result would be disastrous.

 

And so it was when, in their struggle, the glass of wine was thrown from their hands and into the air. The contents spilled forth and would have washed Six away had Lyza not cupped her hands over him. Instead, she took the full contents onto herself as Lynette was miraculously unscathed.

 

Lyza's face went red with anger, pairing with the glasses contents.

 

Surprisingly, Lynette showed concern. "Oh gosh...I didn't mean to do that."

 

Lyza felt as though she'd break her teeth from clenching them too hard. Her anger slowly faded when she remembered Six, however. Retracting her hands she was rather relieved to see that he was unharmed and without a single stain.

 

"You good?" Lyza asked, unconcerned with her appearance.

 

Six was astonished over her actions. Not even a week ago would she have let him float away in all that liquid. She was keeping true to her previous claims of treating him better.

 

"I should be asking you that."

 

Lyza shook away the wine from her arms. She'd reek of alcohol when she'd get home, but honestly, it could be worse. Judging from the sounds of cameras clicking on the phones of the restaurants diners though, she'd imagine rumors would begin to spread soon after today.

 

Issues to deal with later. She wondered if she could bribe the manager to gain a copy of the list of patrons. If she could then Maya would have her hands full in the coming weeks.

 

"I'm fine" Lyza insisted. "Just gonna be a bit sticky when we leave."

 

"Why don't you go clean yourself up a bit in the restroom?" Lynette suggested though all that did was earn her a glare from her sister.

 

Luckily for her, Six was in agreement. "You'll be uncomfortable on the road. Just clean yourself up a little and then we can leave."

 

Lyza was hesitant. "You can't think I'd just leave you here right?" She wasn't willing to trust her sister alone with him. "Were I in your shoes then I wouldn't be so trusting towards Lynette."

 

The beta insisted, however. Whatever Lyza's sister could dish out he could probably handle. "I'll be fine. Just hurry, please."

 

Lyza remained reluctant but eventually gave in to Six's request. She cursed her increasing kindness towards him but respected his insistence all the same. But not without giving her sister a warning of course. "Lay one finger on him and I'll bury you alive."

 

Lynette wasn't even allowed a word out as Lyza stormed off to the restrooms. It was only when they were gone did she smile again.

 

"Sometimes she's just too easy to predict."

 

Her shadow cast over Six, Lynette thought to tease the beta. Show a bit of cleavage. Flash him an alluring smile. Wrap him around her fingers. Instead, she found herself pleasantly surprised to see the beta no longer cowering in fear, just as he had before.

 

Little did she know that Six was still very much afraid. But compared to what he's witnessed of Maya during her 'snaps', much of anything Lynette could do would pale in comparison.

 

"I take it you feel pretty safe now? Don't feel like you're in danger anymore." She didn't need an answer, and frankly, she wouldn't have heard it anyway.

 

"I give us five minutes tops before she's done so I'll get right down to the point." Lynette tapped an app on her phone, bringing up a screen displaying an X and checkmark. She then placed the entire thing in front of the beta. Even when compared to a measly phone he couldn't compare. She found it somewhat adorable. Certainly made her request easier. "Would you rather work for me than my sister?"

 

Six states blankly at the towering woman, not truly grasping what she asked until a few moments after, and even then he was at a loss for words. She was very upfront with her question.

 

"Now, before you answer I want to tell you the benefits." Lynette pulled the phone back before Six could make his choice.

 

"I can promise to pay you double whatever my sister currently does. Along with benefits she can't provide, since she doesn't normally hire betas as small as you."

 

Lynette brought up a picture of a house. Ordinary, plain, but different. Out of place. It wasn't until she changed to another picture did Six see that it was a model of a home, scaled to accommodate those of smaller stature.

 

"Fully functioning, built for betas twice your size, and completely portable. Homes for the 'diminutively impaired'. They go up for sale later this year, but if you work for me I can provide you with the very first version. A prototype, yes, but still rather comfortable."

 

Six didn't know what to think. It wasn't the offer that blew his mind, but rather it was the house itself and how it could function. Scaling the basic functions of a home down to such a small size. Something like that didn't seem possible. Though, in a world of people who shrink and a powder that makes them grow, is this too hard for him to believe? After all he's been through?

 

"It has running water, electricity, and even cable," Lynette added. "But for you, I can throw in a few extra commodities. Say, an entertainment system? A working Flat-screen television? Name your price."

 

Lynette brought her phone down to Six again, now finally offering him a choice.

 

Lyza returned from the restroom not long after, her arms clean of any wine. She was surprised to see her sister messing with her phone and Six sitting on the table, probably bored out of his mind. She had expected her sister to not take her threat seriously.

 

"Looks like you can follow simple instructions," Lyza said as she lowered her hand down towards Six, allowing the beta to walk onto it.

 

"I told you I had no intention of spilling my drink on you." Lynette reasoned. "Wouldn't be right to go against your wishes."

 

Lyza wasn't convinced. Each time her sister did something horrible she always played it off as an accident. If there had been the slightest sign of misdeeds having occurred while she was gone then Lyza would have raged then and there. But whatever her sister's game was she was doing an expert job of hiding her intentions.

 

Eventually, Lyza couldn't care anymore. This day had gone about as well as she expected.

 

"Whatever. It doesn't matter." Right now Lyza felt as though she needed a strong drink. Preferably one that wasn't spilled on her.

 

"It does matter!" Lynette protested. Whatever her game was she wasn't letting it go down easily. "Say, what if I paid for both our meals? Will that make things better?"

 

Lyza groaned in annoyance, wanting nothing more than to leave. "Fine. Pay. I don't care." She squeezed her hand, feeling an urge to punch her sister just to get them to back off. Were it not for Six being held in her palm the Lyza very well might have.

 

Satisfied, Lynette finally eased off her sister. "And be sure to keep me in touch with lil Maxie here. I'd SO love to hear from him again." She cooed. Lynette blew a kiss towards Six, unaware that he was already spoken for.

 

Both Lyza and Six wondered how Maya would react to such a display.

 

Regardless of the affection shown Lyza took that as a sign to leave and as such wasted no time in doing so. Were she in less of a hurry then perhaps Lyza would have seen her sister's smile vanish. Looking at her phone she couldn't help but feel a tinge of joy.

 

It was so easy to get what she wanted. Dangle in front of people something they wanted and they'd follow you no matter what.

 

Six was no exception. Even if she didn't know his real name or connection with her sister she knew worth when she saw it. Her whole family possessed that trait. An eye for quality, as he mother once told her.

 

At first glance, she knew Six wasn't a normal beta. Aside from his smaller than average size she hardly thought to question the bandages that wrapped his body. Odds are she wouldn't have gotten a clear answer.

 

Thankfully she knew someone who likely would.

 

Returning to her unfinished steak Lynette mused on how best she could use her newest beta employee.

Chapter End Notes:

As always, a rating and review are always appreciated