- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

We never really know who we can trust. Sometimes the people we think we know aren't as they appear to be. 

There was no denying it. Maya knew what she saw. 


“Matthias, you damn snake.” She growled in a whisper. “And to think Roxanne trusts you?” 


Though she couldn't be certain over whether or not Roxanne was a part of this newly discovered scheme, Maya held firm to the belief that they remained unaware. Call it a gut feeling, but it didn't seem plausible that Roxy would be working for someone who held connections with the person that ruined her life. Whatever it was Matthias was doing, that was their intention alone. Not their 'partners’. 


But they didn't seem the type to willingly work with someone such as Lynette. Or at least those whom she has connections with. If they could barely get along with Lyza, then there was no way someone like Matthias could stand a brat like their sister. And from what memory Maya has over Roxanne's recountings, those who worked underneath Jospehine Minerva were taken care of. Either killed, or reduced to betas. While Matthias managed to escape both fates, that still doesn't mean he should be willing to work with those ready to gamble his life away. In no way did it make sense as to why he'd take such a risk. 


Or was he just that certain Roxanne's plans would fail? Placing Lyza in her sister's seat of power, eventually working her way into the power vacuum that was left in Minerva's absence. Did Matthias have so little faith in this group of theirs that he was willing to go behind all their backs and form himself a 'scapegoat’ by readying an alignment with Lynette? A faux alliance?


Maya wasn't certain… and that alone infuriated her. 


The doll-sized woman gnawed on her thumbnail in frustration, all the while eyeing the back of the head of the vile researcher who thought it wise to do away with his “allies” trust. 


If only she were closer, then she might be able to gauge what it was Matthias was actually looking at. Get a sense as to what he might be plotting. But at her size, and with her placement, all while remaining unseen, that was just an impossibility. Though Maya was bigger than most other shrunken betas, thereby allowing for a better field of vision, she was still a rodent when compared to regular people. Though… maybe that was a good thing?


Matthias, the inattentive ass that he is, has already shown he cares little for Maya and Aiden. To the point that he genuinely forgets their existence even when in the same room. Were he to be aware of Maya's unintentional discovery, then that would put her life in direct danger. It was better to keep quiet for now. Wait for a chance to act; in whichever way Maya actually could at 12 inches. 


She exercised patience, taking this chance to hide among the litter of Roxanne's workstation. In truth, it'd be easier to get around with the scientist here. Though she didn't lament her lesser stature, Maya did miss the privilege of being able to move around on her own. These days, she needs help just to cover vast distances. An annoyance more than it was a burden, and thus something she could do without. 


But Maya knew Roxanne needed time to collect her thoughts. There was a weight on their shoulders. The type of which the pint sized serial killer was familiar with. Clearing her mind was the best thing she could do. 


It was also unlikely that Matthias would risk looking into his ‘secret’ tabs when his more trustworthy partner was nearby. It was the first time Maya saw them open it up, so it stood to reason that they only did so when certain of anonymity. 


Maya would have to work with this. She needed the Bastard's guard down, and the longer Roxanne was gone meant the more time there was to plan a way around all this. 


It wasn't until Matthias stood up did Maya's chance finally arrive. 


She watched quietly as the much larger scientist walked, or more accurately wobbled on their crutch, past her table. Not once did she utter a sound, unwilling to give even the slightest possibility of having her presence known. It wasn't until she was certain that Matthias was gone did Maya exhale a shaky breath of air. 


A possible trip to the restroom, or maybe something else. Whichever it was, with Matthias’ build and body there was time aplenty to test out any suspicions. 


Maya steadily made her way off of Roxanne's desk. With her larger than average size, she easily hopped from the table's edge, to the waiting seat below, and lastly the dust ridden floor. Though there were aches to follow from the still vast drops, it was nothing she couldn't handle. Compared to the previous forms of torment she's endured, it was next to nothing in terms of pain. Any smaller than she was currently, and Maya might have actually been stuck. Thankfully, her height allowed for simpler risks. 


That said, such size could only get her so far; and making her way to Matthias’ desk this became painfully obvious. Getting down from such a height was the easy part. Getting up to where the laptop was though… that would be difficult. 


“Right… that sort of escaped my attention…” as if any real planning went into this. Maya's intentions, though well meaning, didn't really make for a well thought through plan. Her course of actions only really amounted to her getting stuck on the floor. “Could I… climb up?” She asked herself. “Did I really just get myself stuck down here?”


On that point, Maya wasn't even certain how she'd access Matthia's account. His laptop was likely password protected, and it wasn't as thought she knew the password. Another hurdle she forgot to think about. “Well… shit…”


Maya scratched her head in confusion, wondering if now was the right moment to pull her hair out in a panic. When the ground shook slightly, tremors of approaching footsteps signaling the return of one much larger than herself, it certainly felt that way.


The doll-sized killer held her breath, slowly turning around fully expecting Matthias to have made his way back. Were that the case, then she'd be easily found out here on the floor, screwed beyond a shadow of a doubt and probably disposed of. A chilling outcome to be sure.


 And one that was thankfully avoided as instead it was Roxanne who returned. 


Stepping out from her room, now having seemingly collected her thoughts, the scientist's eyes immediately scanned the top of her desk. Upon not seeing Maya where she had been left they turned to the floor, where the little killer was quickly found. Roxanne smiled softly, crouching down to meet her companion on a more even level. 


“What? Couldn't sit still for just a short while?~” the Scientist asked with a laugh. “I didn't expect to see you walking around like this. It's kind of adorable really. And you managed it so quickly too. I'll have to add that to the data.”


It was one of the few opportunities Maya has had where she could truly appreciate just how much larger others were when compared to herself. Normally she was held, or kept on the surface of some furniture. Uncommon were the times where she was actually left on the floor while others walked about. When she was though, there were few words that came to mind which might do such sights justice. 


Immense


Only that single word could hope to compare to this difference in scale. As Roxanne crouched down, Maya could hear the physical strain of her clothes as they worked to contain her form. She could feel the air shift as the Scientist's monolithic body bent lower. Any smaller, and Maya believed she might literally be blown away. And to think, someone like Aiden could witness this on a much larger scale. It was almost envy worthy, to be in the shadow of something so… divine. Everything was magnified, from Roxanne's golden hair to her bright, shining, magenta eyes. Glorious in many ways, and Maya wondered how someone like Lyza would look in the Scientist's stead.


A thought for later, and one she would do well to remember, even when back to normal. That way, future interactions with betas could be more intimate; with this knowledge that such a god-like view was before them.


But now was not the time to think with her loins. Roxanne's arrival was fortuitous, as options to progress were limited. They were just the leverage Maya needed to reach her goal. 


“Help me up!” She essentially shouted, the sudden tone working to catch the larger woman off-guard. Seeing this, Maya slowed her breathing, taking appropriate measures to calm down. Nothing good would come of this were she to be too excitable. “Please… help me up. I need to check on something important.”


The Scientist's smile softened to a smirk, her amusement over Maya's predicament apparent. There was enjoyment to be found here, especially from one who was normally so feared. While they were on good terms, Roxanne found it funny that someone as notorious as the once frightening serial killer could be brought down so low. Everyone was practically the same once shrunken down. Vulnerable


It'd be so easy to just harm those smaller than herself. Fortunately for Maya, Roxanne was someone who could be trusted. Even if her colleague could not. “How about you tell me what you're doing on the floor?” The Larger woman suggested. “I'm sure there's an interesting story behind-”


“No time!” With everything at risk, Maya couldn't wait around forever. She needed to move. Walking towards the towering Scientist, she'd get them to carry her upward if she had to. “Just give me your hand!”


Roxanne snorted. “Oh? Testy aren't we?” She humored Maya's demands, inching forward and gently wrapping her fingers around the Beta's waist. “No need to shout though, you only needed to ask.”


Standing up with their companion in hand, Roxanne began her walk back towards her desk only for Maya to immediately argue against their direction. “Other way, other way! To Matthias’ laptop!”


Maya was raised before Roxanne's face where an inquisitive expression could be seen. “Why?”


In that, there was an issue. The why of Maya's intentions. If Roxanne would believe someone she knew was possibly looking into stabbing them all in the back. There was no logical reason as to why the Scientist should believe such a thing. That was her colleague's privacy Maya was asking to be violated, after all. 


At the same time though, silence here could prove disastrous. It was better to just come clean.


“Just a gut feeling, that's all,” Maya explained. “I… don't really trust Matthias. Not like you do. So, I just want to make sure he's working for all our sakes, not just his own. That's not unreasonable, is it?”


Though such worries were understandable, Roxanne's curiosity did not lessen. If anything, it only grew as Maya explained her reasoning. “And… you didn't think to ask Him… because?” 


Maya shrugged, an answer not really present. “I mean… It's no secret Matthias doesn't like me. Or Lyza… or Aiden, though that's more in seeing them as a tool. I doubt he'd give me anything to lessen my worries.” 


There was a moment of silence before a snicker escaped Roxanne's lips. “Can't… really argue against that. He's an ass. Smart though. Still, Why not bring up that concern with him? I can help, if you think he won't listen to you.”


Of all the times to be considerate, now was not one. Maya appreciated the gestures of kindness from Roxanne, but it was best to keep Matthias out of this. At least for now while suspicion still remains. 


No, Maya needed to explain what she saw if Roxanne was to understand her concerns. She needed to see for herself if they were all really in danger. “Because…” the little killer swallowed hard, unsure of how to word things carefully without unloading it all. “I think… Matthias might have gone behind our backs?” 


The larger Scientist's head cocked, her brows furrowing. Confusion was steadily replaced with suspicion, not of Matthias but towards Maya. “Explain”


A command that shouldn't be refused, and really Maya wasn't in a position to do so even if she wanted to. “Before, after you left, I saw Matthias prepping an email for Rosen Accessories. At least that's what I think I saw? It was a fair bit of distance away, so I'm not 100% sure.” Maya read Roxanne's expression as best as she could, but the Scientist was much more focused than she thought. They were paying attention so intently, that Maya couldn't determine what they must be thinking. “I'm just… concerned that maybe Matthias’ loyalties aren't with us. That he might even be thinking of selling us out? It's crazy, I know, but can I be blamed for thinking as such?”


Then again, Maya and crazy went hand in hand.


But while it was expected that Roxanne might just wave off the whole situation in favor of trusting an old time friend, she just… stood silently. Thinking. This was an old colleague of hers, one she's known for years before having shrunk, as well as one of the few people she's reached out to upon getting her old height back. 


Someone she's worked with in the past, and one who shared the same form of vendettas against those who've wronged them. There was trust between the two. Or… at least there should be. 


Upon hearing Maya's concerns however, the color from Roxanne's face just… drained. She went pale, nearly mirroring the coloration she had as a full fledged shrinkee. Her grip on Maya tightened, to the point where actual pain was beginning to settle in.


A yelp was heard, and Roxanne's hand opened in fear of having harmed Maya. They fell only a short distance, quickly being caught in the opened palm of the Scientist's other hand. 


Looking over the shrunken woman, there was relief to see that they were unharmed.  Still, not a single word was said as Roxanne stepped over to, and sat down at, her “Partner's” desk. She didn't know how long she had before their return, but if she could just see for herself… then maybe that might put her worries to rest. 


A tad bit too roughly, Roxanne sat Maya down upon the table as she got to work accessing Matthias’ laptop. Not a single second further beyond initial concerns was spared to the Beta's well-being, as the Scientist instead focused on what was now in front of her. It was disconcerting, how quickly they began to worry. As though similar thoughts of betrayal had already taken root.


Roxanne didn't want to believe what she had heard, that much could be guessed, but there was much more going on here than Maya initially expected. 


“Roxy?” Maya wasn't certain as to what was going on anymore. This time she was the one left in the dark. And she wasn't a particular fan of that. “There's something you're not telling me, is there?”


The sounds of furious typing Maya's only response as Roxanne easily accessed Matthias’ work and history. 


From there it was a simple matter of following the digital footprints left behind. Sites visited, progress made in research. All as open as a book.


All culminating in a discovery that made Roxanne's heart sink; her worst fears confirmed.


There, before her very eyes, wasn't the site of Rosen Accessories. Rather, it was the draft of an e-mail, signed to be received not just by Lynette Vermont, but several others who had worked under Josephine Minerva.





“You've been pretty quiet,” Lyza noted as hers and Aiden's walk continued. Now without less worries, seeing as they had a prize in hand. Or rather, underfoot. That said, the atmosphere present was less than ideal. The beta was silent, leaving Lyza to her own thoughts. Thoughts better left unexplored, otherwise she'll fall into worry again for being out in the open. She needed a distraction, and unfortunately for Aiden, he was the only one. The Designer pulled at her jacket pocket, flooding its interior with light. “Penny for your thoughts? What's on your mind?”


Aiden, despite being Lyza's ‘technical’ partner in crime in the kidnapping of one unfortunate soul, was not all too keen on how the whole situation had gone down. That is to say, while he understood the reasons behind it, as well as what they risked to gain, Lyza could have been more clear on what her plan was.


Granted they were working out a plan as things went, but Aiden would have appreciated it were he to not be used as bait again. 


The beta sighed, rubbing at his eyes and already ready to head back home. The day was still early, so why oh why did it feel as if they've been at this for hours. Aiden's companion on the other hand still had energy to spare. There was a certain spring in her step, no doubt caused by the one suffering under it. Lyza would not return home easily, and so he would have to bear with that. 


Working up the best smile he could, Aiden looked up at Lyza. “Nothing much,” he told her. “Just enjoying the day, I suppose.”


An obvious lie, Lyza's known Aiden long enough to point such things out. “Really? Enjoying the day from my pocket?”


“That's what I said, yeah.”


Lyza inhaled through her nostrils, the Beta's refusal to just talk with her already rubbing off the wrong way. Something was clearly bothering Aiden, and Lyza wouldn't let things go without learning what it was. 


“Come on, Aiden. We both know I won't stop asking until you tell me.” The Designer came to a halt, tapping her unoccupied heel against the pavement, so as to remind her friend how far she's willing to go to learn something. “I don't want to have to use you as an insole, you know. I already have one little shrimp underfoot, I doubt you'd want to be used to match the set.” The conditions inside the Designer’s heels had no doubt gotten worse, and at a few instances there were times Lyza believed she had actually crushed her prey. An accident that was fortunately only a fading fear, as their struggles always resumed sometime after. They were a fighter, and even with a few broken limbs they’d likely keep going. 


It’d be a shame to add Aiden into the mix. Especially after the strides they’ve had in their relationship.


Despite their connection now, Aiden wasn't certain if Lyza was fully committed to such a threat. Sure, in the past such words were very real punishments, but times have changed. They both have. Or that's what the beta liked to think. 


There were moments, few in truth, where Aiden thought back to those days when he and Lyza could not stand one another. How easily she'd make good on threats. While he wasn't certain if she'd follow through now, at least with him, Aiden wasn't going to take that chance. Especially considering the fact that she’d just as easily submit a stranger to such torment. 


“Fine, I'll tell you.” The beta relented. His forced smile fell as he turned away from Lyza, her own attention fully on her friend. Aiden wasn't sure where to begin on his list of complaints. There was being used as bait, obviously. Then there was leaving him alone, out in the open for anyone to snatch, that was another. But the top complaint at the moment however just had to be his thoughts on Lyza's current actions. Her… lack of care. 


“You were sloppy.” The Beta stated. Lyza did not speak out against the claim. “Reckless. Stupid. Had something gone wrong, you could have gotten us found out and killed.”


Lyza looked away, a coy grin on her lips. “I mean… I doubt just one of my sister's employees could be that dangerous.”


She wasn't taking the matter seriously. Or as seriously as Aiden hoped. He didn't care that someone had been kidnapped, their life taken away from them. No, what rubbed him the wrong way was how easy going someone of Lyza's status and worth was behaving. 


“I'm being serious!” The beta raised his voice, certain that would get the reaction he wanted. “What were you even thinking?! You may not understand the scope of all this, but I do!” 


“I had to live through the Hell that people like your sister made! Me, as well as others, we all had our lives snatched away from us! And if you're not careful, you, Maya, Roxanne; you all could end up like me! Or worse! Like the dozen others who didn't even make it! Is that… something you just don't understand?”


Lyza's arrogant demeanor dropped the instant Aiden's composure was lost. Aiden wasn’t one to be burdened by survivor’s guilt. He survived, the other experiments did not. It was as simple as that. Yet to see him panic in such a way was enough to have worry fill the Designer’s heart. Lyza raised her hand to her jacket pocket and placed her fingers against it, pushing the panting beta within against her rather soft chest. 


Though there wasn't much in the way of… “cushion”, if it was something that could help Aiden calm down then it'd be enough. He could hear Lyza's heartbeat, slow and methodical. Calm and collected, just like her. While he was thinking about the worst of possibilities, Lyza had expertly done away with hers. Fears she had prior, pushed past in the face of their salubrious development. 


That did not mean, however, that she didn't understand the risks of her actions. Lyza was very much aware of how quickly things might have gone wrong. 


“I'm sorry… okay,” she stroked her fingers against the outer surface of the pocket, gently caressing Aiden's back as he was lulled to relaxation by the sound of her heart. “I get it. Really, I do. It was wrong of me to put you in that spot. Especially when so many people are after you. US. I should have let you know ahead of time.”


Despite having calmed down, there was still plenty Aiden would not allow to slide. There was still the matter of Lyza's reckless course of actions. “That still doesn't change how you just darted off into your own plan. Never mind MY safety, I don't care if I die. You put the others at risk, as well as yourself. That's what I consider stupid.”


Once again, Aiden only spoke the truth. And in so doing, struck a chord with Lyza. She understood his frustration. Were their situations reversed, she might be feeling it too. Unfortunately, despite being aware of the danger she had almost placed them in, there was one thing the Designer understood that Aiden seemingly overlooked. 


“We don't have that luxury anymore, Aiden.” Lyza's gentle strokes stopped, as now she worked her fingers into her pocket. Pinching Aiden's collar between her pinky and index finger, she carefully lifted the beta out of his little hole before placing him on top of the open palm of her free hand. “You may not have noticed, but time… it's not on our side.” 


“I get that you're frustrated,” she explained. “But I also want you to understand that I'm… scared. Really, actually fucking scared. We're fighting an uphill battle, and I have no idea what the next day holds for us all. We could die today, we could die tomorrow. Shit, it's a miracle we've lasted as long as we have! But miracles don't last forever… I don't know how much time we have until Lynette wisens up and stops looking for us, but I'm not going to just sit around and wait on the off chance that she'll give us all the time we need. We need to take risks. Before she screws up the world we’re owed.”


“But do they have to be so obvious?” Lyza made a compelling point. Several actually, as time was a luxury they can only afford for so long. Still, he had his concerns. One of which being how, as he was out in the open, the Rosen Accessory employee could have taken pictures of him and sent them Lynette's way. Confirmation that both he and her sister were in the city and closer than believed. 


Lyza chuckled softly, bringing her hand to her chest once more. This time, Aiden was given much more space to grip on as his entire body was pressed against the Designer's soft, if not somewhat lacking, chest. A hug. One of gargantuan proportions, and even grander differences. 


“You… actually have no idea how happy it makes me to hear you worry about my well-being.” Lyza explained. It was just as she had thought. Same as with Maya, she had been smitten by the adorable little beta. “After everything we've been through, all the things I did to you, I thought… you might still detest me. At least in some small measure, like you do with Roxanne. It's comforting to know that you don't.” Or at least not to the extent she had expected. 


Forgiveness is a strange thing. Even with those who do not deserve it, it might be given. 


“And don't worry about how obvious I made things. That's part of the plan. If my sister sees that you're closer than expected, then there's no way she'd let you go. Lynette’s going to latch onto that lead and never let go; setting herself up for failure.”


If there was anyone who knew the spoiled CEO better than themselves, then it'd be their own sister. Their practices, their behavior, how they'd bitch and moan if it meant getting what they wanted, Lyza knew it all. That knowledge of just who her sibling was allowed her advantages Lynette didn't even think possible. Yes, they knew how to bury their sister underneath their own work, or knew what to say to get them compliant, but leave it to the older Vermont to play her kin like a damned puppet. 


It was reassuring, to an extent. Aiden wanted to trust Lyza. Just as he wanted to put his belief in Maya, he wanted to give the Designer the benefit of the doubt. Let them prove themselves capable of doing what they set their mind to do. 


Lyza was competent. She was smart, and a hard worker to have gotten where she was. Already, that out her above so many of the current generation. If she said not to worry about how things go… then Aiden supposed he'd give her a bone to chew on in that regard. 


And… perhaps he'd do that for the others as well. It was Already evident that Aiden's been working to rebuild that burnt bridge between him and Maya. Maybe it'd do him some good to extend that good courtesy to others. Hell, if he was willing to cooperate with Maya of all people then there was no limit to the type of degenerates the beta would “forgive”. 


Then again, that was most definitely not the right word. It wouldn't stop him from making amends though. Fixing what's broken. 


“For the record, I don't hate Roxanne.” Aiden explained as he pushed away from Lyza's embrace, correcting her previous statement. 


The Designer pulled the beta away from her 'hug’, intrigued. “Really now? From the treatment you've been giving her, I would have assumed you'd want nothing to do with the poor girl.”


That was true, Aiden had been giving her the cold shoulder. It was the least he could do, he felt, after the stunt she pulled. The friendship she… they nearly ruined. “Not really, no… I mean, sort of, but that doesn't mean I hate her. I don't. It's just… Trust issues”


A great big deal of them. Deeply rooted in his original betrayal at the hands of Maya. The beginning of where everything would change for him. After such a grievous wound to both body and soul, it was no wonder as to why Roxanne's lies stung so harshly. Even if their intention was meant for the benefit of all. 


Even then, she was giving her all to this shared cause. 


Roxanne was doing everything she could to prove her worth, show that she could be of value not just to the team, but Aiden as well. And still be thought to treat her the way he has. It was an admittedly bitter pill to swallow. One which Lyza was clearly weighing.


And judging.


“Fuck, you're quite the moody little bug, aren't you?” The Designer couldn't help but laugh as she placed her companion back into her jacket pocket. The situation seemed so… petty to her. An over exaggerated form of a toddler's silent treatment. That was what this was. “It's clear to see that you, like her, are holding some regrets for your actions. Juuust like how I was held accountable for mine.”


“You want my advice? Talk with her. She'd appreciate it more if you just said something to her rather than wait around in silence.”


Aiden said nothing. Even as Lyza closed off the light to his safe space and continued with their walk, he could only think about her words. Maybe he had blown this out of proportion. Roxanne must already be placing blame upon herself for much of what happened, and regardless of whose fault it may be for everything that's happened, Aiden was not making the situation any better with his attitude towards her. 


The constant motions of up and down as Lyza took a step strangely worked to soothe the beta's mind. Eventually, he came to the decision of just saying “screw it”. There was no harm in trying to make amends with one of the women who changed the world. Not when it was clear she was working with them all and not against. 


And despite how she's treated her experiments, as well as those she saw as lesser, Roxanne was… rather kind. At least to those she cared about. 


She was a good friend. Someone whom Aiden would be disheartened to lose. 


A relationship like that, with someone like her, was not something that should be wasted.




There was nothing which could be said. Nothing which might pull Roxanne's mind away from this… betrayal. This… deception of a snake, trying to work their way into the good graces of others. It was horrible and disgusting. Actions meant for those of a slimy and untrustworthy nature. As it so happened, Roxanne now understood that to be Matthias. Right down to the letter. 


The Scientist said nothing, but yo any who might observe her they could easily tell she was numb with rage. Blinding fury that prevented even a roar, a shout, of animalistic anger. Roxanne only dug her nails into her former friend's desk, digging into its surface, and damaging the coat of paint topping her fingers. She did not care for the anger expressed clearly on her face, nor did she care about how close Maya was to succumbing to her unwitting wrath. 


Roxanne didn't care for anything other than getting rid of the snake that had worked behind her back. To get even against someone she DARED to believe in. 


What a fool she was. 


It was Maya though, against every odd, that eventually managed to break Roxanne's silent anger as she pointed out one crucial and wonderful detail about Matthias’ messages.


“Look!” The little serial killer pointed towards the laptop's screen. There they all were, detailing recent events and developments in experimentations with Aiden and Maya… yet not a single one was sent. Each and every message was a draft, terribly precise in what they detailed, but all waiting to be delivered. “Why wouldn't he send them?”


Though still livid, Roxanne's rage subsided just enough to where she could think clearly on this fortunate discovery. It was peculiar that Matthias wouldn't send anything out right away. Especially if he was trying to work his way into Lynette's good graces. But then… that's not how he operated. 


Roxanne's known Matthias for a number of years. She's learned his tricks and habits, and as such knew how he always preferred to work with various different 'cards’. He liked to have options, scapegoats and leverages, in case things didn't work out for him. It's actually amazing how Roxy didn't realize this until now. His betrayal was likely always another option for him. An out in case he didn't like how things were going. 


And judging by his relationship with Lyza, Maya, and just about everyone else he didn't like here… yes, it was more or less an inevitability. 


Which likely meant, “He was waiting for the right time to send them all.” 


With renewed vigor, Roxanne worked through each of the emails, seeing what she could learn while also discovering old chat logs her soon-to-be regretful partner had kept open with several names from her past. People who had funded the original Beta Project, under Josephine Minerva's name. The very same sort of insects that ruined all their lives to ensure their anonymity. 


Now that Roxanne thought about it, the odds that Matthias survived as long as he has through blackmail and bribes with the right people was actually incredibly likely. 


Beyond that there were also photos… of herself. Some dating years back, when the two met, but also the sort that were more recent. Periods where Roxanne was working, and periods where she was asleep. Even at points where she was certain she was alone in the building, Matthias had acquired pictures of her. 


It was… something Roxanne would rather not think about. 


“God, you really are a fucking creep, aren't you Matty?” To work with such people again, all so that he could ensure himself a place in the future? It was unforgivable. These actions couldn't be overlooked.


Then and there, it was decided. There was no hope for Matthias. Roxanne wouldn't allow this to stand.


And neither would Maya, who was already standing close at hand and inching closer; a knowing grin stretched across her face. 


“I think it's pre~tty clear what we're going to have to do to your old friend, right?” 


Roxanne grit her teeth, grinding them back and forth as she tried to focus on anything but her anger. She had known Matthias for years, yet apparently that wasn't enough to cement some form of loyalty. So be it. If he wished to throw them all aside if it so suited his needs, then they would do the same.


She would do the same. Roxanne would give her old colleague exactly what they deserved. 


As she thought of the coming retribution, a sort of… joy replaced the growing frustration. A jovial chill that only ever came from a new discovery. A breakthrough that needed just one essential component. Roxanne laughed, remembering the most recent strain of the beta formula she had given Lyza, and realizing she hadn't given it a proper field test herself. 


How unprofessional of her to just hand out an untested product. And to think, with all the hard work she and Maya had put into developing it. 


It truly would be a shame if neither of them got to see the fruits of their labor firsthand. 


Roxanne smiled as she closed Matthias’ laptop. “Oh, how right you are, Maya.” The Scientist agreed with a low, foreboding chuckle. “Dear Matty's has a lot to answer for. And even more to pay.”


“Fortunately for HIM, I know just how he can make it up to us…”

Chapter End Notes:

Hey there y'all! Coming in with a Christmas eve addition to Forcefully Together! Planned to drop it on Christmas day, but guess I couldn't wait. Been getting some good work in for my break, so hoping to work with two more chapters before it ends. We're still in the final stretch, and every chapter gets us closer to the end. 

Til then, you know the rules.