- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Managed to get this one out quickly enough. Nothing fancy just yet, only some bonding between Aiden and Maya... yep... nothing could go wrong there. 

There was a certain charm to Los Demonios at night. Every late night establishment was lit up to fill the city with a neon, almost futuresque, image. It made walking through such scenery surreal. And even better, the allure was greatly enhanced by the numerous holiday lights that decorated several dark buildings. So close to the holidays, and the New Year, it was hard not to enjoy the sights, even in a city as troubled as the City of Demons. That said, despite all that was before her, Maya found it impossible to take in any sort of satisfaction when walking about with Aiden in hand. 


Along with Aiden she had dressed warmly, even offering to carry the beta inside her coat for extra comfort. A kind gesture that wasn't needed. Though some betas might have suffered from being out in the cold thanks to their sizes, Aiden was for the most part unbothered. The clothing he wore, a simple jacket tailored for those of his size, along with jeans, was more than enough to keep himself insulated. And besides, he's been through worse. A slight chill was nothing. 


Maya, on the other hand, wasn't quite as capable of enduring the cold. She enjoyed it normally, winter being her favorite season. But tonight, after everything that's happened, it just felt colder than usual. Even through her thick clothing, her gloved hands continued to shake. Not just from holding Aiden and keeping herself in check, but also from having left the apartment without telling Lyza. Had it been up to her she would have woken up the designer, though no doubt that would have prevented her and Aiden going out. It was the beta, in fact, who was insistent that they keep quiet for fear of angering Lyza again. Something they both wished to avoid. 


She was nervous. There was no other way to put it. Maya was worried of possible repercussions in regard to her wrathful girlfriend. 


At the very least she was able to give Lyza a loving kiss on their forehead before leaving. A silent apology, one that was met with a smile from the soundly sleeping woman. It was enough to make one's heart flutter; a brief moment of peace that was just as quickly forgotten when faced with her beta obsession. How could she ever hope to set things right between the two people she cared for most?


She screwed up badly, and yet Aiden was giving her the benefit of the doubt. Something Maya believed she was far from being worthy of. She wasn't exactly certain how the 3-inch beta planned to mend things between the two of them. He had said it himself after all, whatever they had was long ruined, and a simple walk in the park would hardly be enough to remedy a lifetime taken away. It was all so much to take in that, despite being nowhere near their destination, Maya stopped dead in her tracks. She stared blankly into the distance, unaware and uncaring for anyone that may see her. Few passed by, the occasional walker who ventured out into the night despite its dangers. Maya cared nothing for them, allowing only for her crimson hair to blow in the breeze as she struggled to come to terms with what was going on. 


Aiden sat patiently, seemingly aware of what was going through her mind. So many doubts that plagued her thoughts. They’d get nowhere if she remained in this state. "Everything good?" 


Maya blinked, realizing that she wasn’t even moving anymore. She forced a chuckle, trying to play off her brief pause as only an inconvenience. "I'm… still trying to figure that out honestly. Wondering why I'm even humoring this. We both know this is more than I deserve." 


"I should be back home, locked up in my room." She thought to herself. "Kept away from you, from Lyza. From everything"


There was no denying that. Maya had committed sin after sin, wracking up a body count fit for the history books. She was a devil, plain and simple. Yet that ultimately worked against her. As for all she’s done, this little favor was just one of the many things she owed Aiden. While not addressed directly, this was her reason for humoring her beta’s request. 


"Suppose you lost any reason to argue back against me then, hmm?” this newfound docility certainly worked in Aiden’s favor. Were it not, then Maya would have likely never left without Lyza’s allowance. It meant she was more susceptible to his demands. “Let’s be honest though, we sort of needed this. The least you can do is try and smile.”


"Yeah, easy for you to say!" Maya shot back mentally. "You're not the one ready to fall apart at their seams!" Rather than argue her case though, she simply hung her head and shrugged. "Fine"


Aiden could practically hear the bones around Maya's jaw crack as she forced a wide, half-assed smile. The corner of her lips didn't even curve, she just bared her teeth like some chimp. It was a ridiculous sight, one that was enough to bring out a slight chuckle from the beta. 


"Hah, okay, that could have been better."


"You said I could try, but never said how hard I needed to" Maya's 'smile' fell back into a frown. She understood that Aiden was just trying to help her. Truly she did. But anything he did in her favor was already more than she deserved. And though the gesture was appreciated, Maya just wanted to get this over with. "Look, can we just head back home? I know what you're doing and it won't work. I'm not climbing out of this hole I dug myself."


But Aiden wasn't listening. He was focusing on Maya's still shaking hand. Though not entirely because of the cold air, the beta felt as though he should find some sort of remedy for the chill his escort felt. Aiden scanned the area, looking from one lite building to another, until his eyes spotted something worthwhile. A convenience store hidden away in-between much larger and brighter buildings. He couldn't see much inside, but it was better than nothing. Maya wasn’t in need of drowning her sorrows at some bar, or eating something heavy at a late night diner. 


She needed something light yet soothing. It had been some time since either one of them had eaten at such a place. Hopefully it would invoke pleasant memories. 


"Hey, how about a pit stop?" The beta suggested. Maya looked to where he was pointing and grimaced. 


"I don't know, Aiden." While the store didn't look bad, the two had a destination in mind already. "Aren't we supposed to be heading towards the park?"


"We can afford a break." Aiden replied. "Plus, I think you kind of need it. You did kinda throw up your dinner already."


Having not thought about it before, her mind was filled with different issues, Maya didn’t realize it until Aiden made note to point it out. She was rather hungry. 


Maya had cleaned her mouth, getting rid of any bile aftertaste. And with that gone her stomach felt rather empty. Still, a convenience store of all places? There had to be better options. After a quick look around, however, she found that there was none. 


"Just for a few minutes. Enough to warm up and grab a quick bite, that's all"


At least it looked empty enough, aside from the cashier. 


"Fine, we'll stop here for a bit." It wasn't as if she was going to fight back against the suggestion . Making her way to and stepping inside the store, a wave of warmth quickly washed over Maya, helping to stop some of her shaking. 


She was colder than she had originally thought, and for a split second she smiled now that she was able to warm her bones. Maya noticed Aiden was watching, quickly shifting her gaze away with a blush on her face. Try as she might, however, she still glanced back again to see the beta smiling. Once more, warmth flooded her body, but now of a different variety. 


There was little to nobody inside the store aside from a single customer and cashier. An ideal setting for… less than savory actions. But such urges would need to be resisted, not for fear of any cameras but rather out of fear of harming a certain beta. 


Aiden sighed, pleased to be out of the cold. "See, what did I tell you? Pretty warm here, isn't it?" 


"Yeah, and it'd be warmer still if I stuck you in my boot." A tempting thought… one that forced Maya to shake her head clear of it. She couldn't, or rather wouldn't, fall to such temptations again. While Aiden wasn't looking, with her free hand, Maya dug her nails into the side of her thighs, pinching her skin through her jeans. All in an attempt to satiate her dreadful desires. 


"I suppose it is…" Maya said through grit teeth, keeping her pained expression minimalized. She waited for the sting to pass before composing herself. "What do you feel like eating?"


"I'll let you decide." Aiden replied. "You need to eat more than I do."


Begrudgingly, Maya looked through the store for anything that may peak her interest sneering at the complete lack of options. Perhaps living with Lyza had spoiled her a tad bit, but the thought of eating four dollar corn dogs and undercooked burritos wasn’t all too appealing. The only thing that seemed to be of any worth was a cup of ramen, little more than an appetizer but at least it was something. The only downside was that she needed to cook it herself. 


After asking the cashier if there was a place she could cook up her food and wait, Maya took a seat at a table near the window. Setting Aiden down she sat quietly, not wanting to talk. "The sooner I get this over with the better…" she continued to remind herself. Maya kept her eyes away from Aiden, only looking outside in an attempt to clear her mind. Few people were ever out at this hour, and in no small part thanks to her. The bodies she's buried, the amount of people she's killed, things like that get around. Only the brave or dumb would walk out at this time of night now, and currently she felt as though she better fit the latter. 


People like her don’t change, Maya has come to accept that. She would always be a monster despite whatever effort Aiden went through to build something between the two of them again. “Now who’s desperate?” she chuckled at the thought. It was strange to see the beta going to such lengths for her. It’d be much easier for the both of them if he just hated her. 


Maya wanted Aiden to hate her. He deserved to. She wasn’t worthy of his love, of his pity. In her mind, it’d be better if they had never met. 


"He said his life wouldn't have had purpose if I never showed up though…" Maya recalled. She refused to believe it despite having already been told otherwise. Though she put him through hell, Aiden had already walked those brimstone steps before. Losing his family, finding out his friends didn't care for him. Having everything you cared for in life taken away from you. It was enough to break any man. Yet Aiden still survived. He pushed through, or rather slogged, growing darker each day but still living. "He also said he might not have made it til the end of the year were it not for me. Did I really give him that much of a reason to live?" 


Maya’s lips clamped tightly together as she fell deeper into her thoughts. Were it so easy to fall into such hopeful beliefs. Then, maybe, she wouldn’t have a reason to be so hard on herself. 


Maya grit her teeth and shook her head "No, shut up! Purpose or not, I ruined his life! That is a fact! I deserve to be hated by him! Forgotten!”  


She continued to remind herself that no matter how Aiden may word things there was still blood on her hand. The blood of strangers bothered her little, but to even know that amongst the gallons she’s spilled was once Aiden’s made her sick. And… jovial. 


“FUCK!” May dug her nails into the table, trying to get a hold of her rising lust. Her mind wandered to the idea of blood dripping down her fingers, Aiden’s mangled body held in her palm. His struggles all but over. She smiled at the thought before biting her own tongue. “No, not again! Never again!”  Were it a choice she could make easily then it'd be her life she takes next. But then where would that leave Lyza? Or Roxanne? There was too much at stake. All Maya wanted now was an out. A means of escape from this cruel, horrible prison that was reality. 


"This kind of takes me back." Aiden's voice broke through Maya's train of thoughts. She glanced down towards the beta, not fully turning her head but looking just enough to see that he was smiling again. 


God, why did he have to keep smiling? It was torture for Maya to see him in any sort of good mood when near her. He shouldn’t be doing that. Not when she was here. She didn’t deserve to see him like that. 


"How so?” Maya asked


He didn’t look at her. Instead, Aiden kept staring forward, deep in thought. Old memories flowed to the surface, reminding him of better days. "Back before all of this, how many dates did we go on?"


The question felt so out of place, and it seemed so long ago now that she wasn't really sure. "Not counting tonight, for obvious reasons, I'm not sure. A dozen?"


Aiden chuckled. He didn't remember the exact number either. "Well, can you remember our first?" 


Now that was something she did. Slowly, reluctantly, a smile formed on Maya's lips. Genuine this time as she recalled the memory. 


"How could I forget?"


At that point in their lives neither one of them had any real experience dating. Maya had her victims from back when, faux dates that ended up only as names on the news. Nothing real emotionally. Not like the relationships she had now. Just numbers, identification of people she’s killed. And Aiden had tried to open himself up towards other people, with one goal being hopefully finding a girlfriend. With all the misfortune that fell his way, however, he had closed himself off emotionally. In a way, they had that in common. Before all of this, the two didn’t have the greatest hold over their emotions. And as such neither knew what to do for their first outing as an actual couple. 


It was one of the first times Maya had actually grown flustered. Normally, she acted the part of the cute and kind girl for potential kills, but Aiden was one of the few who she was actually nervous around. Early on, maybe, she had the intention of killing him. Just like all the others. He was an easy enough target as he had no one to remember him should he disappear, but Maya hadn’t expected falling for him. To such a point that she didn't want to mess up their first date. She couldn’t recall a time in her life where she mumbled more or stammered on her words. 


Aiden was no less a mess himself, actively trying to play it cool, keep a calm mind and level head for both of their benefits. But any possible plans he had for the day were either held up, forgotten at the last moment, or outright ignored when he realized it wasn't going to work. Reservations were lost, either through the restaurant's own mistake or his, movie tickets were misplaced, and a planned trip to some amusement park was tossed aside when he found out Maya didn't enjoy the rides. As it turned out, she had done away with a body near there and didn't want to risk Aiden finding it. 


"Neither of us knew what to do, so we ended up walking around the college campus" Aiden recounted. "We walked for hours, in total silence because neither of us knew what to say." 


Maya held back a snicker. It was strange,  thinking back to such times. "God, I remember being so embarrassed. I was so scared you weren't into me. 'Why isn't he talking? Did I do something wrong? Does he know!?'" One such worry was that Aiden had realized who Maya was, and that she'd have to end their date the one way she didn't wish to do. "I was so worried about you finding out I was a killer that I even considered killing you to avoid the possibility."


A cold sweat ran down the beta's brow. He gulped nervously. "I…see"


Realizing in despair of what she just said, Maya turned her head fully. "I'm glad I didn't though! Super glad!"


Not really her best of saves…


Still, it was enough for Aiden as he smiled nervously, trying to keep things from becoming uncomfortable. 


"Well, all things considered, so am I" the beta cleared his throat. "I still remember how we ended up talking. You remember the convenience store just a few blocks away from campus?"


Maya's smile returned, wider than before. She knew where this was going.


"I do. Everything else was closed, so we settled for there. We shared a cup of ramen back then too…" She chuckled, now knowing what Aiden's game was. He was proving to be quite the crafty little beta. 


"Shared is a strong word." The beta remarked. "If memory serves, you ended up eating all the noodles and fish cake."


"Ohohooo, don't you dare…" Maya chuckled, remembering how she hardly left any of those sides for Aiden. "I only ate them because you hogged the broth and beef for yourself!"


"Really? Because I do recall asking if you wanted any." Aiden retorted back against the giantess. "You said you were fine." 


"I was being polite!" Maya shot back with a laugh. "I thought you'd insist at some point, but nope! You just kept chugging away!" Despite the volume of her tone, Maya was finding this… enjoyable. "So don't blame me for eating everything else! You started it!"


Of that, Aiden was guilty. "What can I say? The broth's the best part."


"I know!" The giantess whined. "And you just kept it all… but it was still a nice meal to share… I enjoyed it a lot."


"So did I" 


There was a longing for such times, shared between the both of them. Things were so much simpler back then, where secrets had been kept as such and thus were kept from worry. Out of sigh, out of mind; Maya was more than contempt with just leaving Aiden in the dark in regards to her passions. Now, however, it seemed as though the world was moving so fast that neither one was sure they could keep their heads on straight until the end. Their relationship aside, there were still so many other things at play. Lynette working alongside an apparent shadow government, having inherited the position from her mother while her sister was left none the wiser. Roxanne's attempt to replace the late Josephine Minerva with Lyza, granting themself a firm foothold in this ever changing world. Such events transpiring were more than enough to make anyone’s head spin.


Maya's gaze turned back towards what was beyond the window. Despite feeling as though everything was falling around her in some unorganized mess, the simple yet well-loved memory was enough to put some of her spirit at ease. Not much, but enough to pull her slightly out of her stupor. Even if things never go back to the way they were, at least she had this little bit of warmth, a brief respite, to move forward with.


"Things really can't go back to the way they were, can they?" Maya asked, knowing full well the answer. She didn't mean just her and Aiden's former relationship, she meant everything. Everything they've found themselves tied into. Events that would shape the future of Los Demonios and beyond. There was no coming back from that, they both knew this. 


"No, I don't think they can." The beta answered. 


Though it was as she had expected,  Maya sighed all the same. She should know better by this point. Maybe she could give Lyza the kingdom Roxanne had described, but it'd be a castle without Aiden. An essential piece to the faltering puzzle that was her life.


"That doesn't mean things have to end though." Waiting patiently until Maya turned to face him once more, as he knew she would given what he had said, Aiden sat with his legs crossed. Outside of a single man walking down the street, occasionally glancing inside the store, there was no one beyond the window.


"What are you on about?" Maya questioned. 


Aiden looked up at her, flashing the same smile. “Every morning, the sun rises with new possibilities. They all offer the chance for you to begin again. Start over, try again for a new life. A better life.”


"I like that phrase… begin again. Sounds a lot like a second chance… Maybe not something better than the first, but certainly more than what we have now." It's taken Aiden a long time to realize this, but this is the path he wants to walk. "Maya, I want us to begin again. Not as lovers, or even as friends. We can't afford something like that right now. Not this early on."


"But maybe as strangers, we can start from the ground up. Back to those awkward days where we hardly knew anything about one another. How does that sound?" 


Aiden was giving her a chance. An opportunity to do better. To be better. "Start over?" She wasn't sure of what to say. It was a good feeling to have, confusion. She wanted to keep her one and only close besides her, at all times. But also, she wanted to build something that wasn't based on torment. She wanted something real with Aiden. Like what she has with Lyza. 


"I think… that sounds…" it was right in front of her now. Maya's hope. Aiden was offering her that. A chance to hope again, even after everything she’s done to him. She didn’t know if she was deserving of it. She hardly felt as if she was worthy. But still, it was being offered. And at this point she didn’t care if it was out of pity. Maya extended her hand outward, towards Aiden as he in turn extended his. 


“I think…” A bell rang off in the store, signaling that the pair’s food had finished cooking. "I think that sounds like our ramen is done!" Maya practically shot off of the table as she stood up. "I'll go get it!" She didn't even give Aiden the chance to speak.



"Typical…" the beta's smile softened slightly. Maya was fighting against what might actually help her. Though, Aiden couldn't really blame her. He had seen her desperation first hand. Her sorrow and regret. For someone like her, who's had such emotions bottled up for years, change would not come easy. And that's not even taking into account what had happened throughout her entire life. Who knows what sort of tragedies Maya experienced that led her to becoming the person she is today. 


Aiden's eyes wandered outside once more. He observed the street, not searching for anything in particular. Just looking to pass the time as he waited. Until he saw the one passerby again, having stayed close by the store as they seemed to take periodic glances towards the window. Towards Maya specifically, as she walked away. 


"That's odd…" It seemed almost as if they were watching her. It could just be nothing, simple curiosity from a stranger, but a gut feeling was telling the beta that something wasn't right here. Unfortunately, said feeling was forgotten once Maya returned with the cup of ramen. 


"Careful, it's hot." She placed their 'dinner' on top of the table. Removing the lid, the pair was greeted with a pleasant, aromatic eruption of spices. There was an abundance of steam, enough to do away with any lingering chill. Even better, despite coming from a convenience store, the ramen looked rather pleasant. 


Maya pauses, wondering if the food's appearance was all it had going for it. Taking a spoon, which had come with the cup along with a pair of chopsticks, she had a taste of the broth. She shuddered in delight. "Oh my god… sooo much better than sushi~!" 


Seemingly forgetting about Aiden's previous proposal, Maya practically dissected the meal, mixing the contents of the cup together. Noodles, bits of ham, just the right amount of seasoning. She'd need to get more of this brand in the future. 


"Aiden look!" With chopsticks in hand, Maya plucked out something which she could share with the beta. "It even has fish cake!" She broke off a small piece, holding it in front of Aiden and waited patiently. 


The beta took the hint and bit into the sizable chunk. What could really be said? It tasted like fish. A lot of fish. But the broth that lingered on the crumb added to the flavor. Maybe not enough to do away with the overpowering taste of piscine, but still pleasant. It was quite good. Before Aiden could help himself to another bite Maya took the whole thing back, popping it into her mouth and swallowing. She didn't even need to chew as it was so small, only taking a second to savor the meager portion. 


For a moment the beta recalled instances where, along with whatever Maya was eating at the time, he’d be added to the dish. Her desert after a pleasant meal. Of course she never ate Aiden, back when death would have been a blessing. Only recently had she gone all the way and swallowed him whole so that she may safely, a term used loosely considering the circumstances, escort the beta out of Lyentte’s home. Not an entirely pleasant experience, having to deal with lakes worth of spittle at a size smaller than he was now. She had been careful, to an extent, but that didn’t stop the terror Aiden felt at the time. The travel down her throat, into the bile of her waiting stomach, still remained present in the beta’s mind. He doubted that would ever fully be forgotten truthfully. Looking at Maya devouring the food in front of her only served to bring the memory back. 


This was the woman he was defending. The self-proclaimed monster who, at any other point in time aside from now, would have gladly added her little obsession to the broth. He had stood up for her. Fought in her defense against Lyza, someone who Aiden had a fairly decent standing in with now. The sort of relationship he and Maya lacked. It was… strange. Looking up at her, eating with a smile on her face when not minutes ago did she seem ready to fall apart. Aiden felt… glad. 


Surprised at first, the miniscule man soon smiled. He supposed he didn't need a response to his proposal just yet. Something like what he offered couldn't be answered straight away. It shouldn't be. Time to think was needed. And besides, the idea of beginning again, along with her food, seemed enough to put Maya in a much better mood. They'd get back to this, in time. And hopefully they could put an end to this grim cycle of obsession and torment.  


Again, Maya helped herself to another cake, and Aiden walked over to the cup to get her attention. "There you go again, eating everything before I could get to it!" Though he raised his voice, the beta was in no way mad. "You could at least share a bit more, you know. Not like I'll eat much of it."


"I know, I know!" Maya defended. "But it's actually really good, I couldn't help myself." Getting a spoonful of soup, the giantess brought it forward towards Aiden. "Seriously, just try this."


Taking a sip from the utensil, Aiden had to admit Maya was onto something. Much better than the fish. 


"Okay, yeah. That's pretty good."


"Right? And here of all places." With a Sigh, Maya relaxed in her seat. As much as she wished not to give credit to Aiden's plot, she had to admit that this was nice. Not only was it relaxing, but it did indeed invoke older, more pleasant memories. Things seemed so much simpler in the past, back when it was just her and her one and only. Before Minerva, before Alphas or betas. Back when it was just them, not needing extravagant dates or meals. Just a brief stop at some random store, where they could have their fill of cheap food. That itself was a more pleasant dinner than anything she's had recently. 


And while it was true that Aiden didn't need to eat a copious amount thanks to his size, It didn't sit right with Maya if he was left out. She set several bits of food aside, making sure to get what he could actually eat in small servings on her spoon. Maya practically fed Aiden, and the beta offered no sort of resistance. 


The titanic woman cooed. It was an adorable sight. Maya watched with keen interest as the minuscule man ate his fill, making jabs here and there, teasing him. Jokes which were met with sharp rebuttals and retorts. Aiden had always been quick with his tongue, both now and in the past. He had proved that several times in arguments with Lyza. It truly did feel as though they were experiencing that same first date all over again. 


Truthfully, Maya wished it could last forever. But life just didn't work that way. It continued to move forward regardless of the joy or sorrow you felt. Whether you're enjoying something or not, time keeps on moving, and before she knew it Maya had already finished the cup. Looking to Aiden, she saw that he had eaten more than his fill. That small body of his helped to ensure that he was a cheap date. As for her though, she wished there was at least a little bit more. While good, the cup of ramen was rather small. Expected, given where it was sold. 


"Did you even take the chance to breathe?" Aiden quipped. 


Maya chuckled, a small snort accompanying it. She couldn't remember the last time something like that had followed after a snicker. "Oh quiet you. Just be glad I shared anything at all." 


The two shared a laugh, more at ease than they had been before, Maya most of all. The normally volatile minded woman felt rather peaceful. No real risk of snapping. No shattered mind, or rising urges. Just… serenity. Warmth and calm. It felt good. 


Paying for their food, the two continued on their way. Far chipper than before, much of the talking now came from Maya who continued to recount older days while Aiden listened. This time, he was kept closer, preferring now to rest within a pocket in front of Maya’s chest rather than her open palm. It gave her the chance to keep her hands warm while also providing Aiden with a better area to listen as his means of transport talked.


From their favorite movies to watch together, to dates which took them to museums. Maya wanted to look back on it all. They had their ups and down, of course. Every relationship does. Not counting present crimes, in the past the two would argue and bicker as any couple would. They’d have their fights, with Aiden unaware of the amount of times Maya just wanted to gut him. At the end of the day though, it always felt as if they'd get back together by morning and that things would sort themselves out with time. And patience. 


Oh, so much patience. 


Maya wanted to remember it all. The good and the bad. Regardless of how much it hurt, she wanted to see it all again. And Aiden was more than willing to give her something which might allow for such memories, such pleasantries, to survive. While not a guaranteed solution, being little more than a hopeful chance, If it meant that she was in a better state then before, then it was worth a trip down memory lane. 


As he listened, the beta also observed. Aiden couldn't shake the feeling that he and Maya were being trailed. Maybe it was just some paranoia thanks to the man at the store, but still, there was no such thing as being too careful. That said, if they were being followed, perhaps by a possible mugger, they could have chosen someone much better than Maya. That right there was a death sentence waiting.


Of all people, Aiden knows that best. And he would prefer to keep this night from getting bloodier than it already was. Eventually, his worries were put at ease when the two finally arrived at the park. Through the cool breeze the location was given an almost mystifying air to it. The leaves of the trees that blocked out the moon blew gently in the air, in sync and moving across the treetops like waves. There was hardly a soul in sight, not a single person which could bother Maya or Aiden as the two reconciled. The towering beauty took in a deep breath, greatly enjoying the fresh air now that she was in a better mood. To a degree, Aiden was right. Having shared a meal with the beta improved Maya’s spirits soundly. She felt as though she could think clearly, on the proposal Aiden had offered her. 


While on the fence in regards to accepting it, Maya had to agree that she did want to build up a new relationship with her one and only. She chuckled thinking about it. Could she even use that term anymore, when addressing the beta who she had tormented for so long? 


She supposed not. 


Still, the thought of starting over again was a conflicting one. She loved him. Truly, for all Maya had done to Aiden, she did indeed love him. Though it was in her own fractured, twisted, terrifying way, her feelings towards the beta remained true. If anything, of the year she’d been without him, they had grown larger. More volatile, as they both had seen first hand. What the beta proposed, in her mind, was yet another separation between the two of them. Not distance wise, like before, but more emotional. Intimate. 


Though she supposed that was already barren as far as a relationship goes between the two of them. The more Maya thought about it the more Aiden’s bargain made sense. If they wanted to make anything new between the two of them they needed to begin again, as the beta had put it. Start over from scratch. Experience those awkward first dates again, back when they were still strangers. Back when neither one of them knew exactly what to do in a new relationship such as theirs. 


And that’s what made the bargain scary.


The sacrifice of everything. All that Maya had strived for, all that she desired for the past year, she’d have to forget; bury. And part of her didn’t want to do that. Though it could be seen as selfish Maya wished to remain as such. Like always, she wanted both Lyza and Aiden in her life. To be without one was… well she wasn’t exactly certain how it’d be now. Things felt different. Lyza’s outburst, Aiden’s defense, and Maya’s breaking. Unexpected as far as things went, and Maya wasn’t certain how things would be after tonight. 


Nothing, no matter how badly she wished against it, would be the same. 


But… perhaps that wasn’t a bad thing. Looking at the beta in her coat pocket, Maya quietly observed him. Aiden’s eyes were closed shut, taking in the cold breeze despite it being much greater to him than his escort. She wondered, was he just as deep in thought as well? Was he experiencing the same conflict she was, trying to determine if this was the best course of action? 


Doubtful. Unlike her, he probably had no reason to have second thoughts over what he had offered. He was, after all, more a victim than Maya ever could be. She owed him far more than she could ever likely repay. Even over the course of multiple lifetimes, Maya would still never be able to pay Aiden back for all that she’s done to him. 


But maybe, in this, she could take the right step towards a better future for the both of them. There were still a great many things she wished to say. She wanted to tell Aiden so much. About herself, about why she was like this. But even now, she couldn’t. Maya lacked that strength. In time though. 


She would in time. When she felt ready. 


For now, and though it took some coercion, she just wanted to relax. Even if only for a few minutes more. 


Maya exhaled, after what felt like an eternity of holding her breath. It felt as though a great weight was lifted off of her shoulders.  She didn’t really know where she was walking at this point, only that she was somewhere in the park. She had become so lost in thought that she was moving without even thinking of some destination. Taking a seat at a nearby bench, Maya took the chance to just take in her surroundings. Normally, when she was out this late at night, it was to hunt some poor soul down. Gut them, cut them, rip them apart regardless of whether they're a beta or not. Instead, now she was just taking in the beauty of it all. The night sky and moon, hidden behind the leaves of trees that cast her in their shadow. It was relaxing, so much so that she felt like she could just fall asleep and never wake up. 


“So, you want us to start over?” Maya asked, glancing down at the beta who, up until now, had been waiting patiently for her answer. Looking back at her, Aiden smiled. 


“Wouldn’t you? So at least things could be kind of normal between the two of us?”


Maya was conflicted. She wanted to say yes and no at the same time. She wanted to have things as they were, back before she had killed Aiden. But she also wanted to move past it all. The trauma. The terror. The torture she invited on his little body. She’d take it back all if she could, but even then Maya wasn’t certain over whether or not she’d just make the same mistakes again. She was no longer certain if what she possessed towards the beta was love, or simply maddening obsession. 


Sometimes though, the risk just needed to be taken. She hoped, even prayed that this was the right path. 


Normal… she felt like that’s the last thing that should describe her…


“I guess…” Maya answered, finally. “Better than nothing, I suppose. Who wouldn’t want to start over with their victim again?”


“That’s what I’ve been saying.” Well, mostly anyway. 


The two shared a chuckle. At this moment, at this time, neither one of them felt as though they’d pose some sort of danger to the other. Maya felt herself relaxed. Calm. free of the mania that plagued her when Aiden was near. Likewise, Aiden did not feel as though he were in danger at Maya’s hands. There was no worry that she’d just scoop him up and end everything. 


For the time being, they were at peace. 


But peace, by its nature, is a fickle thing. And never is it everlasting. Though it was faint, both had heard the sound of footsteps. Several of them. Maya kept her eyes downward, seemingly focusing on Aiden where in actuality she was taking quick, minor glances to her sides, trying to see if there was anyone approaching. Just one, a woman, coming down the park's walkway from the west. At first glance, they seemed unimpressive. A night time jogger most likely. But the more Maya looked and heard the more she came to realize that it wasn’t their footsteps she had heard. 


Being smaller, and thus better concealed, Aiden was able to look around more freely. While he saw the woman to the west, he also saw an older, better dressed man coming in from the east. Opposite of the supposed jogger, the two seemed almost to be closing in on the pair, though to any other bystander it would just seem as though they were about to walk past one another.  Again, not the footsteps they had heard. 


It was then they realized that those had come from behind. Padded by the grass so as not to make a sound. Under normal circumstances, whoever was back there would have remained very well hidden. But for someone like Maya, who had learned to keep track of a once half-inch obsession, picking up on the minor things was a sixth sense by this point. A skill which came in handy. Despite knowing she was being cornered Maya made no sudden movements. Though her reputation was fierce, and the number of people she’s buried over the years high, she was by no means a fighter. She acted under guises, gaining trust before slitting throats. Were a conflict to come she’d be at a disadvantage. 


So Maya acted quickly. Without saying a word she pushed Aiden deeper into her coat pocket, being gentle so as not to cause him any more pain but also deep enough to make sure he was well hidden before buttoning up the opening. The beta said nothing, seeing both the look in Maya’s eyes as well as the strangers coming closer. She was keeping him hidden, safe, should anything happen. Pulling out her phone Maya sent out a quick text to both Roxanne and Lyza, hoping that at least the former was up at this hour. They rarely weren’t, tinkering away at whatever was their latest experiment. 


“Don’t call me. Don’t text. In trouble, need help.” 


But Maya didn’t stop at just one text message. She had several set up, quickly setting up automatic messages to be sent out, all carrying the same message. By the time the footsteps grew too close she had hastily sent out 15 or so, copying the message as fast as possible with the few seconds she had to spare. She would have done more if she had more time, but eventually Maya knew she had run out. Changed to a different screen, she put on the appearance of simply perusing through her phone before getting up to walk away. As expected, she had nowhere to go as on both sides she was covered by the strange man and woman. Likely behind the bench she was sitting on, someone else was waiting. 


No doubt now, this was planned. But who would have thought to corner her of all people? Yes, it was the dead of night in Los Demonios, a city known for its ill dealings. But very few, if any, ever came out thanks to the killings she had committed. While none knew it was her who committed the horrible deeds there was still cause for even the hardiest of bastards to remain indoors. And it wasn’t as if she were wearing anything overly expensive, her clothing being some she had gotten a year prior to dating Lyza. Maya took measures to ensure she looked as mundane as she could when going on such outings. She made sure she didn’t stand out, and this wasn’t someone worth mugging. Only a few times had she ever really splurged, and even then few saw it who weren’t close to her. 


No, the only reason why she could think of this happening to her was if someone wanted her out of the picture. Someone who apparently didn’t take well to threats given to them in their own home. Maya snickered, piecing together who it was that had ordered this before feeling a sudden jolt throughout her body. Nothing too painful thanks to her heavy clothing, though whatever hit her had worked its magic. Maya’s body felt heavier and her vision grew dim. She spun around as fast as she was able so that she could land on her back and keep from crushing Aiden underneath her tit. In the process she was able to see her attacker, behind the bench and having reached forward to strike her with what could have only been a taser. One strong enough to have worked through her jacket. The very same man from which had kept an eye on her at the convenience store. Even though this was the worst possible scenario, and Maya’s vision was continuing to fade, she chuckled. She had hoped that Lynette would have gotten her hands dirty for once and taken care of things herself. Instead, from what Maya would consider an educated guess, they had sent some thugs, mercenaries, or whatever else you wanna call them. Hired help. 


Maya kept her smile even as she fell to the ground, her consciousness fading. Typical that this was to happen. 


Just as she thought she was doing something right.

Chapter End Notes:

Remember, a review and rating are always appreciated. Hope you enjoy and i'll see you next chapter

Whenever that is...