- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Now we see just how bad of a plan all this is. Six is in for a tough time

Really though, when isn't he? 

“What, is she taking the city bus?” Lyza wondered impatiently. She tapped her fingers against her desk, each beat of the digits shaking the small occupant that sat cautiously by Lyza’s side. It wasn’t that far-fetched to think Lynette was taking so long just to simply toy with her sister. If anything, that’s exactly what she was doing. Taking her time despite what Lyza had offered her. It was all the designer could do not to claw at her desk, as she was afraid of losing herself to her steadily rising anger and catching Six underneath her fingers.

 

She wouldn’t want to put him in any danger at this moment, considering he was the key to this ill-thought plan of his.

 

“You really thought she’d rush over here?” Six asked, fully having expected Lyza to have seen this coming. “You know how she is; she’s probably taking her sweet time.”

 

Lyza ceased drumming her fingers and clenched her fist. She shut her eyes for a few moments, wishing for an alternative to what was happening, only to understand that this was the only way she could hope to proceed forward. She understood the stakes, the cost of what would happen if Six was found out. He’d be in danger, as would be the rest of them. But then again, from how Roxanne worded it, they’ve always been in danger. Maya, Six, and Lyza. They’ve always been at the mercy of leaders they didn’t even know about.

 

But this horrible, nonsensical plan? It may very well be the leverage they all needed to survive this.

 

That still didn’t serve to ease Lyza’s nerves though.

 

“You know I still hate all of this, right?” The titanic designer asked though it was clear to see by the look in her amber eyes that any answer was unnecessary. “I really wish you and Roxy had come up with something better. I mean, we still don’t know how the hell you’re supposed to get back.”

 

Six thought on a solution to that for some time. The easiest, and most preferable, answer to that issue would be to hitch a ride on Lynette’s person again, preferably during another visit to Vermont’s Garments again. Unfortunately, the only reason why she was even coming here now was thanks to Lyza. She was already losing enough as is due to agreeing to this plot. It’s not like she could keep on calling her sister for ‘visits’.

 

“Give me a week.” Six said, trying his best to sound as confident as possible. “I’m sure I can figure something out. And if push comes to shove you can always come look for me yourself.”

 

Lyza snickered. “Right, because I’m certainly getting invited to my sister’s house. Little bitch didn’t even want me in a house we shared back when we were kids.” Not the best of memories to think back on, as in her youth Lyza was victim to constant cullying at the hands of her sister. Not because they were bigger or stronger but because Lynette was their mother’s favorite. Anytime Lyza would try to fight back her sister would always go crying to mommy. She could only imagine Lynette’s joy when finally Lyza moved out.

 

Six sat there, dumbfounded. “I’m amazed you never had Maya, you know, go after your sister. There is like…no love between the two of you is there?”

 

He wasn’t entirely in the wrong for assuming that. And in some ways the beta was right. As far as love between Lyza and Lynette they considered themselves family in blood only. They had no real bond, no connections. Were one to vanish into thin air the other would not pay it much mind so long as it did not hurt their profits.

 

But there was a principle to all this.

 

“My sister is MY problem.” Lyza clarified. “If anyone’s going to deal with her it’s going to be me. Especially now, what with her having all these connections.” Lyza had given it some thought, of how exactly her mother could have come across such powerful people. “Just what were those two hiding from me? It must have been fortunate for Lynette then that I wasn’t around when mom passed. She got everything looks like. But for me? I just got left in the dark.”

 

Lyza fell silent, lost in thoughts of just how long she was unaware of her family’s influence. So was used to their negligence. She even came to expect it at times. But this felt different. She had the feeling that if her sister wanted she need only say the word and Lyza would be found dead in some ditch. That thought alone was frightening and gave Roxanne reason to be terrified. The scientist had explained why they were in such a delicate situation after all, and only now was that dawning on Lyza. Her sister and mother, making choices that affected the world. Never in a million years would Lyza have thought of the possibility. Though how could she when left on the sidelines?

 

She felt minor movement upon her index finger and saw that Six had gently placed his hand upon its red-polished tip. He took notice of how she was distraught. To be given no thought by your family. To be an outcast; a black sheep. He knew that feeling well enough. More than Lyza might understand.

 

“Look, it may not be my place to say this but…” Six was finding some difficulty in thinking of the right word. If possible, he wished to avoid any insulting words. At some point, though he realized the silence coming from his lack of words was probably worse than the words themselves. “Screw them.” He finally said.

 

“You’re better off without them. If they didn’t think you were worth their time of day then that’s on them, not you. Take it from me, a family that hardly appreciates you isn’t a family. That’s just…some fucked up toxic relationship.”

 

Though Six’s attempt at offering kind words was appreciated, as Lyza returned the Beta’s kind gesture with a smile, she couldn’t stop herself from chuckling softly. Of course, he would know about toxic relationships, considering who it was he used to date. Her love for Maya aside, Lyza understood that Six had done better for himself outside of her shadow. 

 

“Sound advice, Six. I can only guess where you got it from~”

 

Six scratched the back of his head, shaking his messy, ashen hair. Not out of embarrassment but from reluctance. He was weighing his words carefully.

 

“Well, it wasn’t because of Maya for once, I can tell you that.”

 

Lyza cocked her head to her side in confusion. That was…surprising to say the least.

 

The more she thought about it the more the designer realized that she knew next to nothing of Six’s life prior to meeting Maya. Only that they were college sweethearts before she tried to kill him. Beyond that though…

 

It was a mystery.

 

One that she’s yet to get any sort of clear picture on.

 

“Say, what WAS your family like?”

 

He should have expected that question, even if he knowingly divulged too much of himself. That was something he hadn’t done before, even in the company of Roxanne, someone he was admittedly close to. Though it was likely she knew of his past, considering the hand the scientist played in making him the way he is now. Maya also knew a fair bit of Six’s past, back from when the two had begun dating. Though not too much compared to someone like Roxanne it was likely still enough to allow him to be labeled an easy mark.

 

The only one who likely knew next to nothing of the beta’s past was Lyza. It’s been like that for quite some time, but now here she was inquisitive as to what Six’s life was like before shrinking. Before being experimented on.

 

Before Maya.

 

And he was hesitant. Incredibly so. More than he was when he spoke out against Maya. More than he was when telling Lyza of his awful plan. His past, much like the designer’s, was not something he looked back on fondly. It was enough to bring a cold sweat to his minuscule body.

 

“I…” try as he might the words would not form. Not even an audible mutter came from his increasingly drying mouth. Only sounds reminiscent of groans that come about from half-hearted attempts at speech. There was a pain in his chest that he hadn’t felt in…years.

 

Was it years? It had to be. This sort of deeply engraved pain wasn’t something that came about from wounds as deep as the ones invited upon him through knives and scalpels. It was worse than physical, not something easily healed even through the aid of time.

 

Words not belonging to Six became distant, concerned, as the world him began to spin around uncontrollably. It wasn’t until he grew to feel sick to his stomach that the beta felt a gentle finger upon his back. A digit that was nearly as wide as he was tall yet did not act out towards malicious intents. All that it did was ensure the beta’s safety and when Six looked back to see why he was met with Lyza’s concerned eyes.

 

Lyza’s seen the beta scared before, both of her and of Maya. But this was different. It was somehow worse. She could only wonder what Six had gone through to even be more terrified of that simple question over her psychotic lover.

 

“I take it not a good topic to discuss?” Lyza joked in an attempt to clear the atmosphere. Six’s terror came as a surprise to her. Whatever he went through was more than enough to warrant a response like that.

 

The beta stared wide-eyed at the soothing giantess. There was a point in time when he was terrified of her. Scared of the occasions when she would visit her girlfriend. They always argued, speaking ill of one another. The overwhelming difference in size though meant that Lyza won more than her fair share of confrontations. That was then, this is now. And Six was extremely grateful to see that she’s changed for the better and for the fact that he had someone to comfort him at this moment.

 

“It’s not…” Six confirmed. “He tried his best to calm down, even turning to relax his head upon Lyza’s finger, an act that she had to stop herself from cooing at. There was a time and place for anything, but now was not the time for that.

 

“M-maybe…I’ll tell you in time.”

 

It was best not to pry further than she already had. Even with her curiosity apparent, she knew better than to ask of matters others did not wish to divulge. He’d tell her in time when he felt he was ready to.

 

Only now she kinda wished for something in turn, after speaking a bit about her own past. Call her selfish, Lyza knew she was at times. That said, she wouldn’t ask too much of Six. He’s given too much as is. But hopefully not enough for this.

 

“Well…do you think you can at least tell me your name?” Lyza asked. “If you don’t mind of course!” She’s only ever known Six as…Six. And she was by no means simple-minded enough to believe that was his actual name. Asking Maya was out of the question. Most times she did she was met with the explanation of who Six was prior didn’t matter. His name didn’t matter.

 

It reminded Lyza of advice she had given her lover at times in regard to the beta, back when their relationship was still rocky.

 

Thankfully, it didn’t seem Six was against this sort of question. In fact, he was rather pleased to hear it, as it meant moving away from the topic of family.

 

“I don’t mind that in the slightest.” It had been a while since he’s even thought of his name. a year since he demanded Maya use it, during their falling out. Since then though, he hadn’t given it much thought. But because of that moment, he remembered it well enough. And this time he’d be certain not to forget it.

 

“It’s Ai-”

 

A ring interrupted the moment; Lyza’s phone.

 

The designer groaned in annoyance. She was so close to hearing his name. Whoever called it better have a good…

 

“It’s Lynette…”

 

Both Six and Lyza felt themselves grow stiff. Hesitantly, she answered the call, only replying when she found that her sister was inside the building and waiting for her sister to let her in, as the help at the front desk was keeping her from going to see Lyza for herself.

 

“Note to self, give whoever’s there a raise.” 

 

One quick exchange of the phone to the front desk and Lynette was well on her way to the top. Lyza hung up, now solely focused on getting things going. Her paperwork, the bait that reeled her sister in, was at the ready. As was Six, the beta pushing the previous conversation to the back of his mind; fully preparing himself for what was to come.

 

“You ready?” Lyza asked with a smile.

 

Six returned one of his own, choosing to be as truthful as possible. “Nope”

 

 

Lynette would be sure to remember that employee’s name. While dutiful they had kept her waiting. And among the many displeasures she could think of, waiting was certainly among the greatest of those numbers. People like her, people who mattered, were not the type to be kept waiting. Satisfaction and demands should be met then and there if that was her very desire. And while it pained Lynette to say it, that included her older sister.

 

For now anyway.

 

Lyza wished to talk, over matters that neither of them had given any thought to for a year. The last time they had discussed the relationship of their respective companies Lyza was attempting to cut connections with her sister. And of course, Lynette saw fit to stop that before any sort of significant progress could be made.

 

Who was she, after all, to demand such a thing? To think she could even dream of leaving her families shadow? It was preposterous. Ludicrous.

 

Their mother made both of their businesses. Vermont Garments and Rosen Accessories. True, Lynette was given hers as sort of a ‘gift’. A way of competing with her sister while they slowly, but methodically, took over Garments. Their mother hardly saw it coming, an act that slowly came to throw the matriarch Vermont from her seat of power. She was the head of such an expansive business. A powerful woman who set her mind towards a goal and met it regardless of the people who got in her way. She’d step over rivals, potential or otherwise if it meant getting a leg up over the competition. She gained so much, and Lyza took that away from her.

 

The designer had practically thrown their mother from the top of a food chain she had been at the apex of for years. Such a bestial tactic. A horrid move that sent their mother to an early grave, being forced to ‘retire’ at her prime.

 

Lyza would spin a different tune, of course. But Lynette knew better than to believe her. They knew what they were doing, taking over their mother’s position the way she did. She’d lie and say that Vermont’s Garments was being run into the ground, losing business through stale ideas. Repetition seen in their clothing. She’d say the company was dying because of her mother, but that simply couldn’t be true.

 

Their mother was important, more than Lyza could ever realize. That’s how she had so many connections. Links to powerful people that now, through the obedience she had shown her mother, she possessed. Her self-important sister could never understand that. She couldn’t possibly see the strings attached to everything.

 

But she would. In time, Lyza would understand her place in the world. Of that Lynette would assure. Personally.

 

That was the future though. Currently, Lynette simply had to make sure her sister wasn’t doing anything drastic. She needed to make sure they stayed in the shadows, exactly where she belonged. Lyza was smart, though clueless to the world Lynette was aware of. But there was mild worry felt by Lynette’s peers. There were some among their numbers who began to feel as though the elder Vermont child would have been a better fit to fill the vacancy left behind by their mother.

 

She was older, had a decent handle on her ‘stolen’ company, and was well-educated. A greater amount of experience compared to Lynette. But they wondered if she could be as ruthless as her sister. The younger Vermont doubted it. For as long as she’s known her sister they’ve always been all talk. When the Beta Epidemic began Lynette wondered if they’d even continue to view the newly shrunken as people. Probably. Lyza was a beta in waiting, only needed a moment of misfortune to forget her Antilirrin. Then she’d be just another bug like the rest of them.

 

Lynette chuckled at the thought as she made her way to her sister’s office. “She probably sees herself as one of them. Isn’t that just pathetic?”

 

Even after stepping into her sister’s working space, the younger Vermont couldn’t keep herself from laughing, much to Lyza’s confusion.

 

“Something funny?” the designer asked, having expected a more irritable approach of her sister. Up until they had come in Lyza had been dealing with some paperwork she’s been meaning to… ‘misplace’. Among the pile were the very documents that showed described the partnership between the sister companies. Always close at hand, as were other important items.

 

“Nothing” Lynette assured through tears in her eyes. “Just a joke I was reminded of…”

 

Lynette pulled a seat opposite of her sister’s desk, getting comfortable and relaxing. She kept a cool and calm expression, her confidence on clear display. “That’s right. You’re a joke compared to me.” She reminded herself. “What could I possibly have to be afraid of? You don’t even know the influence I have.” In her mind, Lyza didn’t even need to be shrunken down to be considered a bug. Though, that would be a sight to behold. The perfect condition for the black sheep of the family.

 

“No matter what Lyza does she’d never be able to touch me.” Such were Lynette’s thoughts, fully displaying her notions of invincibility. Nothing in the city of Los Demonios could touch her. She held all the power.

 

“Let’s get this over with.” Lynette demanded through a self-assured grin. “I’ve got places to be after all. People to meet, products to sell.” She had an empire to run, and nothing was going to get in her way.

 

Nothing save for the once-inch beta currently running towards her from beneath Lyza’s desk.

 

“Lyza couldn’t have placed me closer?” Six wondered. He hadn’t been active for quite some time, the need to run away from blue-haired psychopaths being his one reason. Since moving beyond that he’s gotten lazy, for lack of a better word. Roxanne hadn’t much helped in keeping Six at tip-top shape. For the past year, she did most of the walking for the two of them. And now it was showing as the small beta breathlessly made his way towards Lynette’s open-toed heels.

 

While others would have forgotten what it was like to be so small compared to someone so huge, after having grown more than four times their original height, Six could not. He had been stuck at half an inch for several years prior to his change. And while one inch in height was a certain downgrade it was nothing he wasn’t used to. He still remembered some of his rules.

 

When approaching someone hundreds of times your size you do not rush in. You need to exercise patience. Despite how things may look, someone so big is by no means any slower. The human mind isn’t able to properly grasp such speed belonging to something so large. It tricks us, making us see it as slower. As though time were slowing down, but in reality the only one moving now at a slug’s pace is you. Events slow down for the inexperienced as your mind tries to take in everything at once. In that time though all it would take is for one clumsy footstep to snuff you out. And in that short moment, you’d see, and feel everything. And take it from Six, there was no such thing as a slow death to those who have newly shrunk.

 

So, you wait. Especially if you’re trying to scale a human body. You start at the feet and wait for them to settle. Don’t linger for too long though, as that moment could quickly pass. A fact that was lingering in the back of Six’s mind the moment he made contact with Lynette’s big toe. Really, it was fortunate that she was wearing open-toe heels. It meant he would have an easier time climbing, and at his size, his weight would barely be perceivable. Someone would have to focus solely on him if they wishes to notice anything odd, and thankfully Lynette was paying close attention to her sister.

 

Maybe too much attention, as a sudden flex of her toes was enough to catch Six’s arm. Nothing too dangerous, though the incident with Roxanne was still a fresh experience that the beta wasn’t too keen on revisiting. He didn’t struggle, that would only cause a noticeable disturbance. Instead, he waited for the toes to relax. When they did he didn’t waste a moment. He scaled onto Lynette’s heels. With no contact to any skin, he didn’t need to worry about getting caught here. His only worry was finding a passable spot to catch a ride. Lynette’s legs were completely bare, thanks to her wearing a red business skirt, so as to match her shirt. There was no way for him to scale upwards. And Six wasn’t someone to think that he could simply hang on to the heel’s smooth surface. No, he’d get thrown off after the first step.

 

He needed someplace to hide. Someplace Lynette wouldn’t check because of his small size.

 

As he pondered in thought Six was carried upward, Lynette’s leg rising to cross over her other. He was lucky. Extremely lucky to not have fallen off. He fell flat onto his stomach, hoping to god that he wouldn’t slide off. He didn’t. He maintained his hold but was now subject to a new situation. The foot he stood upon was continuously bobbing up and down, Lynette’s footwear coming on and off her heel as she focused on her sister’s words. Shares and profits, discussions Six didn’t care to understand. But it was enough to distract the younger Vermont with a distraction, and possibly provide the beta with an answer to his predicament.

 

Though…it was far from ideal.

 

“Really…I’m gonna have to do this?” This was far from what he was hoping for. Lyza seriously couldn’t have found some way for him to sneak into her sister’s purse?

 

“Lyza was right, this plan does suck…”

 

A pen dropped in the distance. Beneath Lyza’s seat. The designer’s face came into view, scanning the floor diligently as she feigned looking for the writing instrument. She was checking in on Six, to both make certain of his progress and to ensure that he was safe. She saw him, just as the beta had stepped off of her sister’s foot and grabbed onto the edge of her heel while it dangled precariously off her toes.

 

Six turned to face her only to be met with confusion, shock, and mild amusement. Yeah, perhaps not the best position to be in but he had no other options as far as he was aware. Lyza was doing her best not to laugh, Six clearly seeing this and promptly flipping her off as he pulled himself over the edge and into the quickly slamming upwards shoe. though he couldn’t see her now Six knew Lyza was pretty much thinking “I told you this was a bad idea.”

 

And as the pressure began to mount, likely due to Lynette resting her foot against the floor once more, he couldn’t help but agree. Voices were muffled and light was all but absent as Six was pressed into the heel’s insole. Thankfully, the bottom of Lynette’s foot was soft, well moisturized, and fairly without odor. Best of all though, she didn’t question his presence in her show.

 

He could survive any mounting pressure for a time. While not being invulnerable anymore, the beta could still take quite a beating. Roxanne couldn’t fix everything that happened to him after all. In this situation, however, that may very much be a good thing. He now needed to breathe though, and if Lynette stayed in a single place for too long that could be an issue.

 

“Roll with it.” Six told himself. “Just roll with it. So long as she doesn’t find you everything’s fine.” He just needed to wait.

 

Lyza knew the moment Six had climbed into her sister’s footwear that her job here was done. Concluding her and her sibling’s appointment she knew that the hardest part was going to be the wait for the beta’s return. She acted as pleasantly as she could when addressing Lynette as they departed, completely unaware of the little hitchhiker underneath their foot.

 

Each step taken was likely thousands upon thousands of tons upon Six’s body and even with the knowledge that he’d likely survive the ordeal Lyza couldn’t help but wish them luck.

 

They were heading into uncharted territory now and would most certainly need it. 

Chapter End Notes:

As always, a rating and review are greatly appreciated!