- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

At times it's important to remember our strengths. Especially around those smaller than us. 

Bliss

 

What Roxanne felt was bliss. Peace. To be pampered by one so small, the four-inch beta at her feet, was a luxury she didn’t think she could partake in. For years she had scavenged and fled from those a hundred times her size. She had heard stories of giants that were spoiled by betas. Used as accessories or as servants. And while Roxanne considered Six neither of those things she finally found herself in a position where she was able to take advantage of her larger size.

 

The beta pushed into the giant’s stocking-clad foot with all his might, working to edge out any visible pleasure he could from his gigantic caretaker. It was difficult work. Though he could now be seen as a beta on the superior spectrum of size, Roxanne’s foot was still a considerable scope compared to him.  He was still a far size smaller than her foot, which itself was a force of nature all on its own. The heat that radiated off of it was a clear sign that the larger beta had been on her feet for the majority of the day. And the perspiration that came from the cloth covering it showed that she was in constant motion. Six’s arms were soaked only after a few minutes of work. And he couldn’t even consider himself halfway done. Whatever effort he did give though was clearly felt, as Roxanne’s groans were only growing more intense.

 

“Oh…oh fuuuuuuuuuahahaaaa that feels nice…” Roxanne felt as though she were in heaven. She’d been on her feet for so long that even the smallest of stimulations was without description. Even Six’s small hands were akin to those of a master with how sensitive her soles were. She had to reframe herself from clenching her toes at several intervals. She wouldn’t want to hurt her little friend.

But it sure was difficult to hold herself back. So difficult in fact that at several points she failed to reframe from using her full strength.  Unconsciously, her foot would push forward and into the four-inch beta. He held no illusion that he could force back the appendage, and so took the full brunt of the hit. It didn’t hurt but it certainly was enough to knock him on his ass. Yet, even after that type of humiliation, he wasn’t angry. He just laughed softly to himself and stood back up.

 

Six reached for Roxanne’s toes, his first touch having an immediate effect as they curled around his hand. It was quick. Too quick for Six to react. And even if he could pull his hand away he’d likely dislocate his arm with how tight the grip was.

 

He was about to tell Roxanne that she had unwittingly gripped his hand with her toes when her other foot came in from behind, pushing him into the sole of the first with more force than necessary.

 

“Please, keep going…don’t stop now…” From just having her foot massaged Roxanne felt any tension throughout the rest of her body ease up. It was beyond simple alleviation. “This feels divine.”

 

The feeling was not mutual for Six. Currently, he was being sandwiched in between Roxanne’s sole and bride of her foot. Her stockings chaffed his skin. So much so that his now previously pale skin was being marked red. No open wounds could be felt, thankfully, though he was more than certain that he was very much bruised.

 

He found the situation funny. Not even dangerous. A year ago, such abuse would have been more of an annoyance. Now, he actually suffered from it. He had wounds. And it made him laugh. Not from him enjoying it, but from the fact that he could actually experience it again. For over five years he could feel nothing of similar stimulation. Now? This was the closest he’s felt to normal in what may as well have been ages.

 

He did not scream. Instead, he tapped Roxanne’s sole as lightly as he could without showing that he was in danger. While this did have the desired effect of gaining his caretaker’s attention it also shared the consequence of tickling her. A consequence that quickly made itself known when the pressure increased tenfold. Enough that what came next was audible to Roxanne.

 

A crack rather than a crunch. Something had popped, and the mere thought of what it could be filled Roxanne with dread. She immediately stopped caring for her massage and allowed Six to drop to the floor as she pulled her feet back in fright.

 

“Six!” fear filled her. She must have hurt him, surely. A crack that loud. Something must have broken. No. Something must have shattered!

 

“Six! I’m sorry! Oh god!”

 

The beta lay on the floor, motionless. Roxanne couldn’t tell if he was breathing or not. She wanted to pick him up but was scared, terrified, that she may have irreparably harmed him. He wasn’t invincible anymore. She forgot she had to be careful. Now, she may have very well killed him!

 

“Please please PLEASE be alive…” Gently the titaness poked the beta’s motionless body, as to test the waters of if he were still conscious.

 

Nothing.

 

“Six…” Her finger rested on the beta’s chest, waiting to feel the rise and fall of his breathing. Again, nothing.

 

“No…please no…” Conflicting emotions flooded Roxanne as she grew horrified over the prospect of having killed Six. Someone who she considered a friend. There was, of course, the extreme guilt she felt. She grew careless and thus forgot the difference in power between the two.

 

Then there was worry. Without Six the plan on gaining information from Lynette would fall apart. Lyza would be left with nothing useful. And worst of all, she’d know who to blame.

 

The designer’s threat did not dissipate over the course of the year. Rather, the fear of it only grew. Without Six there was nothing keeping Lyza from handing Roxanne over to Maya. One bloodied treat for the psychopath.

 

But even with that growing threat, Roxanne couldn’t take her eyes off of Six’s body. It was her fault that he had gotten hurt. And now it was her fault that he had gotten killed. Lyza’s possible fury didn’t even matter too much now, in the face of having taken the life of someone she actually cared for.

 

She moved her index finger from Six’s chest to his face, caressing his cheek as well as she could.

 

“Six… oh Six… I’m so sor-”

 

And before she could react her finger was bitten by the beta that she had been scared for. He had been playing possum and playing it rather well. He was growing lightheaded from holding his breath though, so when Six saw the chance to make it known that he was alright he took it.

 

Roxanne pulled her hand back in surprise. The bite didn’t hurt, being more akin to a sting. It was the fact that Six pulled off such a cruel joke that hurt more.

 

“You…you…” Roxanne was at a loss for words. “You…bastard!” She wasn’t sure if she was mad, relieved, or both. But the emotions were enough that she was still willing to raise her foot overhead, the urge to bring it down on the smaller beta very much there. Even with that sort of threat in front of him, Six did not apologize. He didn’t even beg. He just smiled, holding one limp arm with his hand.

 

Roxanne saw this and, reluctantly, lowered her foot. In front of Six, sure, a reminder that if she really wanted to hurt him she could do so much worse.

 

She pulled herself off the couch and knelt in front of the beta, her towering frame only growing the slightest bit shorter. Though there was still some anger in her red eyes it was mostly overtaken by concern. “How badly did I hurt you?”

 

Six gestured towards his arm. It had come loose from its socket. It hung like a thread of meat.

 

“It sounded worse than it actually is.” And over the years he’s been through events that could have caused worse. Considering who he was with prior to all this, it could have been much worse. Something like this didn’t bother him one bit. But that did nothing to relieve Roxanne of her worry.

 

“Look, I know you didn’t mean to…”

 

“Please, Six, not a word.” Roxanne didn’t want to hear it. Even if he’s suffered worse he still suffered again, by her hands. Or rather…feet. It was rather harrowing, the reminder that she could hurt him so easily. And she wasn’t even trying. That’s how easy it was. That’s how fragile he was now.

 

She didn’t even want to look at him and be reminded of that fact. “Please, just let me set your arm in place.” She lowered her open palm onto the floor and waited patiently for the beta to step on it.

 

Six just patted her waiting fingers. “No need to worry about that, I can fix it myself.”

 

Roxanne was puzzled until the smaller beta grabbed his dislocated shoulder. Confused at first her expression quickly changed the moment she realized what he was doing.

 

“Nonono Six, don’t even think about it that’s disgusting!”

 

Without warning the beta forcefully pushed his arm back into its socket. There was a sickening crunch as Six’s arm was put back into place. Roxanne fell back in shock, the force of her nearly landing on her back more than enough to throw Six on his own rear. She looked at the beta in shock, amazed he could even endure something like that.

 

“You’re insane!” she claimed. “You are actually insane ohmygod!”

 

“I lived with a serial killer for years.” Six reasoned. “I went through more hell than most people could even dream of. You think I can afford sanity? Hell no.”

 

“But seriously, that?” Roxanne felt herself close to throwing up. “That was sickening!” How someone could pop their arm back into place, without causing themselves further injury, was unheard of. How much trouble Six must have gone through to even develop that sort of skill was staggering in itself. But the fact that he was comfortable doing it right in front of her was another story. “You couldn’t have done that elsewhere?”

 

“It wasn’t like you were going to give me much of a chance to go anywhere, with how worried you were.” The beta reasoned. “Besides, it’s fine.”

 

“It really isn’t.”

 

“It is, Roxy. I’m fine.”

 

The larger beta stood up and began pacing around the living room. She was breathing far too quickly for her liking, a result of going through so many emotions so quickly. She felt rage, relief, wonder, and astonishment. “God damn Six, you’re going to give me grey hair and split ends by the end of the year. I should just step on you for that…”

 

Once more she raised her foot over the beta, who once again didn’t even look worried. She wanted to scare him, just as he scared her. She wiggled her toes for emphasis, the red polish upon her nails clear even through her stockings. No reaction of terror. No fear. Six was well beyond that sort of emotion given what he’s endured. So, Roxanne relented.

 

“God, and I was worried too.” Roxanne found herself embarrassed over the fact that Six was so easily able to fool her. Slowly though, that embarrassment turned to soft chuckles. And eventually, that turned into full-blown laughter. Adorable mirth with the occasional snort in it.

 

Even after a minute her laughter didn’t stop. It was so much that Roxanne was forced to fall back onto the sofa to catch herself. A bit too far to the left though and she would have landed right on Six’s house. Thankfully she did eventually manage to compose herself. “You’re a little asshole, you know that?”

 

Roxanne just sat there, allowing the relief of Six being fine to fill her body as she thought about what to do next. Continuing her massage was out of the way, as she’d now be opposed to the idea for obvious reasons. The most she could do right now was offer aid.  “I suppose I should help with those bruises. Set up a little ice pack for you, to help with any swelling should that occur. But before I do that I think I should make us dinner. As for you…” Roxanne overlooked Six’s sweat-stained shirt. It was her perspiration that covered his body, clinging to it like oil. She grimaced over the possible scent he carried. “You should probably take a shower before you eat.”

 

“That’s probably for the best.” The smaller beta agreed. Luckily he needed no help with that task. His portable home held a shower for him to use. Per Lynette’s promises.

 

“And make sure you use cold water.” Roxanne instructed. “It’ll help with the bruises.”

 

Six offered no sort of resistance to the recommendation. While he kept a brave face, he was actually in a fair amount of pain the longer he stood around. Enough that he could only nod rather than say okay. It was enough for Roxanne luckily, the titan of a woman rising from the couch to make her way to the kitchen. Six imagined he had at least a few hours before the two ate. That’d be plenty of time to rest his body.

 

Though this life still had its hardships it was far better than the one he had before.

 

 

An hour after she had begun cooking, Roxanne still couldn’t get the previous events out of her head. They hung over her like a cloud. While she was still grateful for the fact that Six was fine, or as fine as one could be after taking on tons of weight from a giant foot, the feeling that things could have taken a turn for the worse was not absent. It was still very much here.

 

She fidgeted with her feet as she relived the memories. Even if it wasn’t her attention, the pressure she placed upon Six helped in releasing the stress of the day. It felt good, the sensation of rolling the small beta between her lowest of extremities. With his whole body, he was able to knead out any building pressure far more effectively than with his arms. It almost made Roxanne eager to do it again.

 

Almost being the keyword.

 

She blushed at the thought of how she would do it. Previously, she had asked if Six was up to the task. Next time, she could very easily force him to comfort her soles. She had already shown that she possesses more than enough power to dominate him while still being completely oblivious to the ordeal he was enduring. Oh, the things she could do to him were they both fully aware of one another. It made Roxanne shiver.

 

She bit her thumb in arousal, only to quickly pull away as she just remembered she had been touching raw ham for hers and Six’s dinner. Ham and cheese croquettes. Roxanne’s favored dish from when she was a child. Not terribly difficult to make, just requiring a fair bit of store-bought ingredients. Mashed potatoes to have the ham mixed into, an abundance of sharp cheddar cheese, and finally parsley. For that extra bit of flavor.

 

Top off the mix with a little dab of salt and pepper and everything was ready to mix, shape, and fried. Working in the kitchen was almost as fun as working in the lab for the large beta. That thought was enough to make her realize that much of the apartment was a mess, a result of her constantly experimenting with any bit of technology she could.

 

“I should really clean up after cooking.” The titaness mused. She then smiled softly. “If I’m able then maybe I can convince Six that I’m tired enough for another massage?” She’d be gentler, of course, but it certainly was a tempting idea. Roxanne laughed it off though. Six had gone through enough today and needed a rest. Some food and a relaxing movie were all the two of them needed.

 

She’d pick what they’d watch this time though. Six always chose some action movie and Roxanne wasn’t going to sit through another one of those.

 

Midway into shaping the croquettes, a knock came from the door. Loud enough that Roxanne nearly dropped the lump of food she was sculpting. Catching it mid-air, she accidentally crushed the whole thing. Yet another reminder of how often she forgot to hold herself back. Had that been a beta then things would have been much messier.

 

The knocking continued in rapid succession, giving Roxanne a clear idea as to who was there. Aside from only ever getting one visitor, that one guest always made it their job to make their presence known. Quickly washing off the squished cooking from her hand Roxanne made her way to the door, teeth clenched the entire time as the knocking grew louder.

 

“Yeah yeah, I heard you the first time!”

 

Lyza didn’t relent. Even when Roxanne went through the now all too familiar process of opening each of the locks she had placed on her door. By the fifth lock, her hand was beginning to hurt rather fiercely. Yet still, there were a dozen more in place. When finally the door did open she was met with a rather annoyed gaze, courtesy of Roxanne.

 

“Do you HAVE to do that each time you come here?” the large beta asked in frustration.

 

“Just making sure you remember to get rid of a few locks, Roxy.” Lyza insisted while shaking her sore hand. “I mean, how many was that? Seventeen? A bit excessive if you ask me.”

 

Roxanne scoffed, not amused by the designer’s antics. “It’s precautionary. I was shrunk for a reason. I knew too many secrets in regard to the beta epidemic. You don’t think if someone recognized who I was I wouldn’t have a hit on my head by the end of the day.”

 

Lyza laughed, already picturing one person who’d probably try and kill the former scientist. “Well, I’m sure Maya would jump at the opportunity.” Lyza stepped forward. Though she was only taller by a few inches her presence alone was enough to make it feel as though Roxanne were getting smaller. Before long it seemed as if she was in the designer’s show, awaiting judgment. “That is if she had a reason to do so.” Lyza’s amber eyes met Roxanne’s crimson. Both knew the only reason why Maya hadn’t reached for the scientist’s throat yet was because of her lover. Roxanne still had a great many uses, but if she messed up then she’d be the serial killer’s next plaything. “So, anything you’ve done that would give her a reason. Roxy?”

 

Roxanne gulped, the fear she felt very real. This was a reminder. Of the threat given to her. A promise of what would happen were she to disappoint Lyza. She was almost too afraid to answer. At least, that was the case until the designer gently placed a hand on her shoulder and smiled. Any sense of dread they exuded prior dissipated.  The shadow Roxanne had found herself cast in had shrunk away until she was once more face to face with someone to who she was relatively similar in height.

 

She wasn’t small. She wasn’t like every other beta on the street or cowering behind desks from larger beings. Though she knew she still had Maya to fear, at this moment, with Lyza, she had nothing to be scared of.

 

“Relax Roxy, I’m only joking.” Her grin was genuine, even after the cruel joke. From their reaction, it was clear Roxanne hadn’t taken to it as well as Lyza would have hoped. Sure, she wanted to scare the large beta, but the color from their face practically drained away when she fake threatened them.

 

Lyza actually would have felt bad if she wasn’t trying to keep herself from laughing.

 

This did not go unnoticed by Roxanne, as the scientist placed a hand upon her forehead, lightheaded from having her emotions toyed with not once but twice. First from Six and now Lyza. The company of those who she’s chosen to have around her was certainly not the best for her mental health. That said, she wasn’t perfect herself and as such allowed herself a quick laugh too.

 

“That’s…a relief. Roxanne allowed herself to sigh, having held in her breath the entire time Lyza had been speaking. Remainder fear prevented the scientist from easier breathing. It wasn’t until she exhaled that she was forced to place her hands on her knees to keep herself still. Two cruel jokes in one day were more than her body could apparently take it would seem. “First Six and now you? Oh, well, this is simply wonderful. You do realize that the two of you have a SICK sense of humor, right?”

 

“Hah! As if you’re any better.” Lyza threw her arm over the still relief-filled beta. For a few moments, she playfully twirled their ashen hair, which was long enough to reach halfway across their back. “I’ve seen how you look at other betas. You don’t see them as people, even if that’s what you try to tell others. I can only imagine how often you think of stepping on them. Crushing them. Maybe even dominating them. Hell, I’m willing to bet, so long as it isn’t Six, you’d gladly kill one.”

 

Roxanne would not deny that. She couldn’t. Lyza had her figured out there. The reason why she had aided in creating the chemical that makes a beta who they are was due to an age-old sense of superiority. There were few she’d consider her better. Back then, it was Josephine Minerva. Since then, she’s been humbled on several occasions. She was more open to considering others around her as equals. But someone who was so small that they’d fit comfortably under the ball of her foot? Yeah, that was far-fetched for her.

 

The one exception to this though was Six. He was important to her, not just because she had a hand in his creation but also because she genuinely viewed him as a friend. An ally that would have her back when it was against a wall.

 

The memory of her wounding him, almost killing the beta, returned, and a cold bead of sweat formed on her brow. She quickly wiped it away, but by then it was already too late. Lyza had noticed the droplet.

 

Rather than inquire, the designer’s smile grew wider. It became clear by Roxanne’s sudden reaction that something had occurred between the two betas. Surprisingly, she grew amused at the thought.

 

“Oh? Then again, the year isn’t quite over yet, now is it? Who knows what sort of accidents the two of you might have?”

 

Roxanne wished to say something. She wanted to at least deny that. If she could help it she’d much rather not hurt Six. Yet when she tried to talk nothing came from her mouth. Once more, she was caught in her doubts. Her voice had caught in her throat. All that she was capable of moments after was a very shaky “R-right…”

 

Lyza chuckled, before pointing to the scientist’s still food-covered hands. “Want me to help while you talk about it? Helps to vent, you know? And if not, we can discuss other matters. Nothing important, except perhaps…if you two have figured anything out with my sister.” It was best to change subjects now rather than later, as it was becoming clear that Roxanne didn’t have any real desire to talk about what she did. And though Lyza wasn’t aware of the severity of the scientist’s actions, she knew they were enough to make her lose her voice.

 

That said, she was still hopeful of some progress from the two betas. However, but still expected, Roxanne’s only response was silence. Lyza wasn’t even surprised at this point. Nearly a year and no results. She was considering actually scrapping the whole idea altogether just so that she can do things herself. But, that’d take more time than she had on hand these days. So she pulled her hair back and let her frustration subside. Getting angry wouldn’t solve anything.

 

She shrugged off the matter entirely. “That’s a shame.”

 

“You’re not upset?” Roxanne asked.

 

Lyza thought about how things could devolve but once more threw caution to the wind, She was still concerned, true, but not quite as much as she was earlier. They’ll cross that bridge in time. You can’t rush matters such as this.

 

“Let’s be honest, we both know what would happen if I was upset.” Lyza reminded with a glare. The same dread from earlier returned, forcing Roxanne to avert her gaze. Thankfully, Lyza relented in her psychological assault and shrugged. “For now let’s just say we’re even. I meant to buy you and Six a veggie wrap. I did but ended up eating them both. You and Six were meant to bring me useful information. But neither you have even found anything of worth. So even. For now anyway”

 

A strange way to compare what constitutes even, but it wasn’t something Roxanne was going to complain about. Just meant her skin was saved.

 

“We’ll just wait for something to pop up,” Lyza decided as she rolled up her sleeves, already preparing herself to help Roxanne in the kitchen. “Not like we can do anything other than wait.”

 

That caught Roxanne’s attention. The fear left her body as a solution began to take shape. A risky but potentially salubrious answer to their problems. Throughout the year, as she’s worked for both Lyza and Lynette she’s also worked on many experiments. Most of which could be considered failures, but there was always a diamond to be found in the rough. Some of which were capable of giving Lyza the much-needed edge she sought.

 

“Well…we might not have to wait forever,” Roxanne explained. “In fact, if you’re willing to listen, I can tell you what I’ve been cooking on the side.”

 

Lyza perked up, finally pleased to have been given some of the good news. That in itself was worth talking about as the two prepared the food. 

Chapter End Notes:

As always, a rating and review are greatly appreciated!