- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

So
Got news
Classes start up for me this week. Won't be able to write as much as I'd like probably. But really, I'm kind of a slow poster so may not even be much of a difference here. Actually don't know why i'm even bringing this up...ANYWHO, this chapter is mainly exposition. A focus on the story. Do what you will with that information and enjoy!

Confusion and fear were no doubt the key emotions the group of Beta's were currently experiencing.


That and pain. A great deal of pain for those with broken limbs. Maya certainly wasn't gentle with some of them.


Six pitied them. Unlike him, whatever activity Maya and Lyza had planned for them would likely end in their deaths. He had no desire to know their names. No real need to. They wouldn't be lasting a month.


"Hey, you!" One of them called out.


Six cursed under breath. The last thing he needed right now was an introduction. He ignored the one calling him over, turning his back towards them.


What Six hadn't expected though was for them to walk towards and force the half-inch Beta to face them. Or rather, to face her.


Female, and only two inches tall. Still massive when compared to Six and he was forced to look up to meet her glare.


She was rather rough for wear. Her grime-covered, shoulder-length, white hair was a mess. Her freckled skin and ragged clothing was tattered and caked in dirt. Still, before becoming a Beta it was clear she used to be quite the attractive woman. She still was actually. "What is it with all the attractive women recently?" Six wondered. Now though, she was starving and terrified. As were the rest of her group.


"You..." The woman stared down at Six. "That was Lyza Vermont, wasn't it? She said you were in charge. Tell us where I am, please."


Six could see that it was fear that guided her to speak whereas the rest of her group cowered. She knew how to take charge. Or at least knew how to push past her fear.


Still, whatever she did likely wouldn't matter in the long run.


"I...it doesn't matter." For a moment he wanted to lie. Tell her he didn't know and avoid any explanations. Rather he settled for the cold truth. "In a few weeks, I'm guessing you'll all be dead."


The woman was relentless though. Maybe some false sense of hope. A strange belief that she could get away. "Please, can you help me?"


This would be a first for Six. Usually, people gave up when he'd tell them they'd likely die. What's more, his size and appearance weren't a deterrent. Despite being wrapped in bandages the woman was talking to him. Granted she was talking down to him but Six realized all the same that he hasn't talked to anyone other than Lyza or Maya. For years in fact.


It felt strange.


"Look, the sooner you accept the fact you'll all probably die the better." Six was stubborn though. Nothing he did would matter. He learned that even before he was shrunken down.


The woman fell to her knees. Even then she was nearly as big as a barn.


"P-please..." She was sobbing now. "I don't want to die. Not like this. Not this size. You have to help me!"


Those were the kind of words he was used to. People unable to accept their impending death. It was sad, sure, but expected. He'd grown quite used to them.


Didn't make him feel any better though.


Seeing such a large being, however, someone who was once fully human no less, get on their knees and beg was certainly a new experience. No one's really done that before. At least not in front of him. Six could only imagine the number of pleas Maya has ignored.


He didn't want to say anything and likely wouldn't have had the woman not grabbed his legs, with only a single hand no less, her pleas repeating in some attempt at salvation.


"Lady...please" Six didn't want to see such a sight. It felt wrong. Especially when he's never seen someone so large beg. "Please stop."


She refused to relent. "No! You have to help! I can't die yet!"


This back and forth argument felt oddly familiar. Six recalled the number of times he and Maya had similar arguments over her murders. He's tried to persuade her to steer away from such activities but always she refused. Each time he caved into her commands.


This situation felt no different. "Fuck..." Six couldn't believe he was doing this. "Fine. I... I'll talk to them. The two keeping you here." Even on her knees, she was still utterly massive when compared to Six. If he wanted he could probably stand on her thighs and still not be able to reach her chin. He probably only came up to her knees now that he thought about it.


No, not even that really. Just below them. It really put into perspective how small he truly was. For such a long time he's only really been able to compare himself to Lyza and Maya. God, he must be as small as a jelly bean to them.


Despite the staggering difference in height though her smile seemed the only thing he could focus on.


The woman's despair quickly turned into joy as she lunged forward, pulling Six into what was perhaps the world's tightest hug. "Thank you!" She shouted in glee. "Thank you thank you THANK YOU!"


Six was glad he couldn't die, otherwise, he's certain his head would have been crushed in the woman's air-tight hug. She greatly underestimated her own strength. So much so that were it anyone else she'd have likely killed them.


It didn't help that she was well endowed too, making it quite hard to breathe. 


She noticed Six's struggling all the same. "Oh! Sorry!" She swiftly released the half-inch Beta, allowing him to breathe. She held him in her hands, waiting for the much smaller Beta to regain his composure. There was a look to her, one of fascination. It was in her eyes. At Six's size, the eyes could say a lot. "It's just...you're so small. I never thought you'd be this small."


Six raised his hand to assure the woman he was fine. "Trust me it's nothing." He's lost count of the number of times he should have suffocated to death. Whether it was underfoot, underwater, or under Maya's rear nothing ever put him down.


A result of being experimented on. He was, for the most part, indestructible.


It was then Six caught on to what she had just said. "Wait, what do you mean thought?"


The woman's smile quickly faded as she grew worried. "It's...nothing. Forget what I said."


As if he could. "Look, if I'm going to help you then you need to tell me what you meant." Six was held up to the woman's face, her size allowing him to be held like some doll.


"It's not important." The woman stated. "Not anymore."


Her face was ridden with regret. She knew something, that much was clear. But it was also obvious she wouldn't say anything, and Six couldn't really force the information out of her.


That is if he wasn't unwilling to offer his aid anyway. Dangling such aid over her head would be enough to loosen anyone's lips.


"Then can you at least tell me your name?" Six asked. The woman tried to avert her gaze, refusing to meet Six's. He realized this would get him nowhere unless he played a little dirty. It's good then that he picked up a few tricks from Lyza. "Look, if you don't tell me your name then I can't say I'll be of much use in keeping you safe."


That got her attention. The fear in the woman's eyes quickly returned at the thought of being left helpless. Or rather, as helpless as one could get when your only hope was a half-inch speck.


"It's...Roxanne." The woman revealed. "Roxanne Foster."


Six sighed, content that he knew this woman's name. It was something at least. 


Roxanne brought her face closer. Her whole head was almost as big as Six's entire body. "And you're name?"


Six stammered. Of course, she'd ask that.


It had been some time since he's used his name. His actual name and not some number. He almost felt like saying it but stopped when thinking about the repercussions. If Maya heard any of the Betas saying his old name then none of Roxanne's group would survive.


"It's Six" the Beta said.


"A number?"


Six simply nodded, not desiring to give the reason as to why he had such an odd name.


"And are you trapped here too Six?" Roxanne asked.


"Wonderful, now I'm being questioned..." Six thought. All he wanted was answers. "A minute ago you were bawling out your eyes begging me to help you. Talk about a personality switch...It's complicated." Six admitted. "I'm not really trapped. More a victim of...love." At least that's how Maya would put it. Even saying it sounded gross.


"Of...love?" Roxanne had some trouble comprehending that. "What's that supposed to mean? You love that horrible woman?"


If Six were able to he'd probably be blushing. Honestly, he wasn't sure of the feelings he had for Maya could even be described as love. After all, it's because of her he's stuck like this. "Mine and Maya's relationship is complicated. I guess it just means we're-"


"No, the FUCK he isn't!"


Maya's voice rang from upstairs, followed by several furious stomps. 


"Fucked..." This wasn't good. Six had hoped they'd keep themselves entertained for the night. They even had a larger than average Beta with them. That should have been more than enough.


To make matters worse the voice was heard by the group, Roxanne included. If Maya saw her holding Six then there's no telling what she'd do.


"You have to go." Six said as sternly as possible. "Back to your group. You have to get away from m-" before he could finish Roxanne brought Six against her chest once more, bringing her fellow Beta into another fearful hug.


It was tighter than before. There was no doubt in Six's head that such strength would have killed normal humans.


"Ow..."


Booming footsteps came down the stairs as Maya stomped into the living room, now only wearing her still blood-stained shirt. She didn't even take the time to button it all the way back up.


Lyza followed behind her, seemingly caught between laughter and worry. "It's just one date, Maya."


"With your sister!" Maya responded. She paced back and forth in the living room, uncaring for the audience she had. "The sister YOU hate! Why would you even agree to that?!"


"Blackmail can work wonders." Lyza admitted. The look on her girlfriend's face though showed that she was in no mood for jokes.


"She wouldn't blackmail you if you just let me-"


"Kill her?" Lyza answered before her lover could finish. "Not gonna happen. Yeah, I don't like her, but that doesn't mean I want her dead. Just off my back."


"So you're letting her go on a date with Six?" Maya questioned. "MY Six? What do you think she'll do when she sees him? I mean, he kind of stands out even among other Betas!"


Maya gestured towards Six, at first unaware of his current position. It was only when she focused on where her one and only was did she see him in the arms of another woman.


"Six?" Maya had trained herself to pick up on the smallest of movements for the sake of her one and only. So that he could never hide from her. Even with another woman's arms wrapped around his body, she could see him clear as day.


HER Six, held in the arms of a woman that wasn't her or Lyza. She felt her blood boil.


"Let go of him." Maya demanded as she lowered herself over a shivering Roxanne. Their grasp over Six tightened until it felt like his head would pop off. Maya brought her face down closer to the sniveling Beta, her eyes filled with jealousy.


Rarely could Maya ever be considered the jealous type. Not even when Lyza toyed with Six without her knowledge. Seeing him in the arms of a stranger though was a sight she hadn't expected to see.


And she didn't like it. Not one bit.


Maya raised her palm over the woman, her shadow casting over them, casting nearly all light out. She didn't mind squishing this Beta if it meant getting Six away from them.


"I said let him go." Maya repeated. Again, nothing came from her order.


"Little fucking slut..."


Maya brought her hand down with the intent to kill, and she certainly would have too had Six not managed to pull his right arm free and extended it outward, pleading for Maya to wait. A second too late and Roxanne would have certainly been reduced to paste.


The sudden force of the wind that overcame the two was powerful enough to nearly throw Roxanne over. She held onto Six as tightly as she could, as if he could save her from Maya.


Lyza stood on the sidelines, unsure of what to do but curious to see how matters would resolve themselves. At least Maya had something to divert her ire away from the previous request.


Lifting Roxanne by her hair Maya brought the two-inch Beta to her eyes. Their wonderous blue able to clearly reflect the horror of Roxanne's face.


"Did you seriously just tell me to stop Six?" Maya questioned, not at all pleased by his defense of another woman.


Six couldn't help but curse his luck. Now he was in the hot seat. And Maya already seemed pissed even before storming down the stairs.


"I...did..." Six confirmed.


"And why the hell would you do that?"


"An excellent question..." And likely one he couldn't answer easily. Roxanne clearly knew something, her choice of words before showing it. Six always thought of himself as rational and seeing the larger Betas actions it was clear to him that something was off. He wanted to find out what it was.


Even if Roxanne was the one in her grasp it was Six who's Maya's focus was currently on. This was a new look from her.


Anger. Or something staggeringly close to it. Such an eventful day. So many firsts for Six.


He can't really recall when Maya's ever been angered by his actions. Even when He was normal, as the two dated in college, she's never been angry towards him. Twisted yes. Extremely twisted. But never angry.


"Six? You gonna tell me why you saved her? Or am I gonna bite her in half?" To emphasize her point Maya clicked her teeth together. Even if her threat was directed towards Roxanne she still only focused on her one and only.


Tears were flowing from Roxanne, falling onto the top of Six's head. Her eyes were shut, her whole being silently prepared for what could happen.


Six had to think of something. Something to appease Maya. Lyza wasn't really providing much help.


"Is she back in the fucking kitchen?!" Six screamed internally upon hearing the sounds of a fridge opening.


"Say something Six." Maya demanded. She brought her free hand close to Roxanne and prepared to flick her in the chest. "Say something or I swear I'll break this bitches ribcage. "It was no coincidence that it was that spot specifically she planned to target. He was being held against it after all.


Finally, a possible solution struck the half-inch man. "You can keep her! As a pet!"


There was a moment of silence from all parties as Roxanne's grip tightened upon hearing this. Not the preferred proposal he imagined. But one of the few that could keep her alive. Thankfully, Maya seemed to ponder the possibility.


"A pet?" Maya tapped her chin as she thought about the proposal. The Beta woman was only two inches tall. Certainly on the shorter spectrum of shrinkers. There were plenty among their group that was bigger, if not broken.


Maya picked up two with her free hand, both females with a broken leg and both bigger than the object of her ire. She remembered these two. They wouldn't stop wriggling so she had to break their limbs. Practically useless now.


They'd make a good example.


"Interesting as far as ideas go Six." Maya admitted. "Especially when coming from you. Never thought you recommend something like that. But tell me..." Maya brought the two Betas into view, her grip tightening on them. "These two are larger than your 'pet'. By all accounts, they should also be sturdier." Effortlessly Maya squeezed the Betas in her hand until they popped under the pressure. They didn't even have a chance to scream as their innards squished between Maya's fingers. "If they couldn't survive that then what use is she?"


Maya rested her head in her bloodied hand, uncaring for the mess upon it. She waited for her beloved's response, certain he didn't have an answer.


And he didn't. Really he didn't expect to manage this long in stalling Roxanne's demise. But he knew he couldn't combat Maya, especially when she was willing to use lives to make a point.


Seeing the Betas silence Maya smirked as she raised Roxanne, along with Six, over her lips, ready to make good on her earlier threat. She didn't manage to get her prey past in between her teeth though when they suddenly shouted in Six's stead.


"I'm smart!" Roxanne shouted when Six failed to give an answer.


Maya was unimpressed. "Okay...and? You'd be surprised over how many big brains I've bashed out. Not all of them were Betas either."


"No, I mean I'm smart in the sense that I can help you!" Roxanne tried to reason. For a moment she looked down toward Six, seemingly deep in contemplation, before shifting her sights towards Lyza who was now standing beside Maya with a can of whipped cream in hand. Their eyes lit upon seeing them. "That's Lyza Vermont right?! I can help her make clothes? I know how to make something that'll make cloth for her! Threads! A machine!"


"That's not gonna cut it I'm afraid." Roxanne yelped as Maya was fully prepared to let this woman fall into her mouth before Lyza cupped her hand over it.


Despite having the nozzle of the can in between her own lips Lyza seemed intrigued over the offer. Swallowing a mouthful of cream the designer crouched in front of the still dangling Beta, clearly interested over the offer that was on the table. "Explain" a simple order. Effective all the same.


Roxanne was trembling, holding back any further tears as she tried to speak. "I...I was a mechanic of sorts, before shrinking. I know how to build things." She explained. "I can come up with a blueprint for fast-paced, automatic, sewing machines. Faster than normal ones and hundreds of times more precise. You can use it to reduce the cost of manual labor."


Lyza's interest was piqued. That's a rather specific skill from a complete stranger. "That's quite the talent there. If it's true that is. How do I know you're not lying?"


"A week!" Roxanne requested. "Just give me a week to come up with the design and I can show you how it works!"


With Lyza's resources, it wouldn't be any real issue to find someone to build a machine, so long as they had the instructions over how to do it. She certainly had the connections for the task.


Lyza looked towards Maya, the killer clearly annoyed that she hasn't eaten this Beta yet. She even felt like chewing on Six because he stood up for this woman.


No matter her feelings, though, Maya knew Lyza was interested in the offer. Pulling her lover's hand away from their mouth Maya pulled the Beta away from her lips.


"I'm not going to hide the fact that I wanna kill you." Maya explained, her voice cold and cruel. "But I know when I'm outvoted. Six wants you alive, and Lyza's seems interested in your offer..." Maya was hesitant to even go through with this. As cruel as she can be towards others it was thanks to Lyza and Six that managed to keep her on a self-imposed leash. So you get one week."


Maya dropped the woman back onto the couch, uncaring that she still had Six in her grasp.


"One week, and if you have nothing worth showing then I'll swallow you alive."


Roxanne gulped upon hearing this. She didn't even take her size into account when offering her services. Things were bound to be more difficult than she would have liked. Worse still, the look in Maya's eyes showed that she still wasn't done with her.


"As for Six..." Maya's glare fell to the still clutched Beta. He dreaded what she had in store for him. Jealousy was not an emotion she knew how to handle.


Rather than punish Six, Maya relaxed as she explained Lyza's intentions. "You've got a date to get ready for."


"With my little sister." Lyza chimed in.


Six felt his throat go dry, which was impressive considering he had no mouth to breathe from.


"I'm sorry...a date?" Six seriously couldn't understand how fast-paced this night had been. First Lyza was being kind to him, then Maya returns with her victims, one of which apparently knew more than the led on, and now this. Today certainly was eventful.


Maya grimaced at the thought. First her Six was in the arms of some other woman, now she was agreeing to let him go on this arranged date. With Lynette of all people. It certainly struck more than a few nerves for her.


Maya knew Lynette didn't much care for her. Fine by her, Maya didn't care for her either. But she knew Lynette's views on Betas. Excessive stalking really does grant a wide arrange of information.


Unlike her sister, Lynette didn't hide her disdain for the diminutive humans. She hired them sure, but she treated them more like pets than anything. And like her sister, Lynette wasn't afraid of stepping on a few if they got on her nerves.


Maya wondered how she'd react upon seeing Six. They'd have to hide his more notable features, but even at his size, that wouldn't be too difficult. The problem lied in whether Lynette would laugh at him or accept him. Whatever she'd do she'd almost certainly embarrass the Beta in some way. It'd be a good punishment for his recent rebellion.


"I'll be right there behind you." Lyza explained in an attempt to ease Six and his surprise. "It's purely professional despite what she told me. She just saw the designs you helped me with and got curious. This whole thing will blow over, I promise."


To say Six was less than ecstatic over the idea would be putting it lightly. Though he's never spoken with her he knew Lynette to be rather unsavory company. The last time Six saw her she nearly stepped on him while in an argument with her sister. Not the best first impressions.


"You're going" Maya said well before Six could even think on arguing against the plan. Just looking at her showed that she was still rather upset with the Beta.


He couldn't help but feel his own frustration rise. He couldn't help the fact that he can't pry away from Roxanne's grasp. Hell, he was still in it. Unable to move unless the woman holding him allowed it.


When he tries to ask her to put him down though Six found that the woman was still utterly fear-stricken, as were the rest of her group. All their eyes fell to the mangled corpses on the couch. Maya's examples of what could happen to them. Specifically Roxanne.


"Don't worry about the little whore" Maya practically cooed as a twisted grin grew on her face. She was grinding her teeth together as she looked down towards Roxanne. "I'll be sure to look after her while you're on your 'date'. I'll make sure she does as promised."


Six felt Roxanne's grip loosen slightly, no doubt as an effect of what Maya said. Six was able to wriggle out of the larger woman's grip, plummeting to the cushion of the couch. It was a soft landing but was quickly turned rough when Roxanne fell to her back as Maya loomed her finger over them.  


Placing her index finger under the woman's chin Maya lifted their head up ever so slightly, taking in their appearance. "Really hope she goes through with those prints" Maya admitted. "It'd be a shame to have to mangle such a cute face..."


Roxanne felt her blood run cold. To be stuck with Maya, without any sort of aid. She was beginning to regret ever opening her mouth.


"So it's decided" Lyza clapped her hands, breaking the tension that had been building. "Six and I will see my sister and this little Beta and Maya will work on the blueprints. After a week will see how things turn out."


Maya didn't offer any complaints. Six and Roxanne wouldn't even be allowed to complain. Any other Beta wouldn't even have their complaints heard. It was all decided.


"Now then..." Seeing Maya still irritated over Roxanne's presence Lyza scooted next to her lover before playfully biting at their ear lobe. Maya felt her anger slowly dissipate as her body heated up. "Can we head back to my room? I'm dreadfully tired honey."


It had been a long day for Lyza, and while she's been amazing at hiding her exhaustion the shadows under her eyes would never go away unless she got proper rest.


"Fine..." Maya gave in quite easily. "I'll admit, I'm quite tired too." Before she and Lyza could depart though, Maya reach down toward Six, scooping the Beta up into her hand. Her expression was still stern when looking at him but she'd be damned if she let that other Beta stay with him. "We ALL need our sleep. The rest of the pests can stay on the couch for all I care."


"They know not to run" Lyza explained as she cast her shadow over the remaining two Betas of Roxanne's group. "We'll kill them slowly if they do."


Nonwords were further spoken. Nothing else needed to be said. With their threat in place, the trio made their way back upstairs. Before leaving though Maya turned around one final time to face Roxanne. She ran her finger under her neck and across her throat, swallowing as she imagined it was that two-inch Beta in there.


She wanted them terrified for the morning. To keep them in line but also capable of making mistakes. An excuse for Maya to take advantage of. She was out for blood now, and everyone knew it.


As she walked away however all Roxanne could think of was Six.


"This is where he's been?!" She thought. Years of searching for Minervas final project before being shrunk and she found him here? In the company of psychopaths?


"What the hell am I supposed to do now?" She wondered.


Whatever happened though she knew she needed to get her hands on Six. Before anyone else did.

Chapter End Notes:

A rating and review are appreciated! It helps me improve!