- Text Size +

“Dull...overdone...disgusting.”

 

The day proved to be a rather troublesome one for Lyza, who for many hours was forced to look over document after document, one failed attempt at a clothing line after the next made her question the intelligence of the people under her employ and made her wish she could simply fire them for their ineptitude.

 

But despite their failures, every so often one of them would strike gold. Something she could be proud to display in her line of clothing. Unfortunately those were getting fewer and further in between each unveiling and upon looking at the photo of a particularly painful dress Lyza had to set the folder aside to keep her nerves calm.

 

“Maybe Maya’s willing to get rid of some regular sized people for me...” she mused. It wouldn’t be the first time, though no matter how many bodies Maya dropped there seemed to be no shortage of idiots in this world or under her management.

 

Lyza rubbed her temple in frustration. The amount of times she wished her employees to be shrunk and placed before her, all so she could give them a lesson she wouldn’t forget, would be more than she’d care to publicly admit. They weren’t betas. Not yet anyway. Right now Lyza was considering holding her employees pink powdered remedy as ransom just to get something of worth from them.

 

That powder came along with their paychecks. It prevented anyone of normal height from being turned to betas so long as they continued to take it at timely intervals. Once a month for some, a week for others.

 

It had a name, but Lyza hardly cared to remember it. All she cared about was how much money it had brought her. She hated the stuff. Tasted like chalk to her. But she knew value when she saw it. When it was unveiled several years back and shown how they could prevent one from shrinking along with granting a beta more respectable height, she knew she had to invest.

 

Ever since then she’s held a sizable amount of the stuff, and as such always held a sizable amount of staff. It was a good lure.

 

Unfortunately, no matter how much of the stuff she had it seemed to never bring in anyone with even an iota of talent or sense.

 

Unable to deal with any other crimes against fashion Lyza stood from her seat once she noticed her mug of coffee was empty.

 

It was early. Too early to be troubled so much. Yet here she was, only her sixth cup. It’s been that way since the day prior.

 

Leaving Maya’s apartment Lyza had expected her workday to be uneventful. She believed nothing of importance would rear its head. Oh, how wrong she was. The moment she stepped through her office doors she was bombard with quotas yet to be met, lack of communication between staff and failure upon failure of designs. She hadn’t left the damn building in well over twenty-four hours. Any sleep she got was through resting her head on her desk.

 

“Fucking idiots...all of them”

 

At the very least one of them had the bright idea of recommending a coffee maker in her office. Good kid, poor fashion sense. Almost hurt to let him go a few months back.

 

She needed a break. A vacation. Looking down at the freshly brewed cup of Joe revealed her reflection in the brown liquid.

 

The shadows around her eyes had gotten worse. To the point where she very much doubted that they’d ever go away. And her skin had taken on a ghastly, ghost-like appearance. A result from being locked up for so long because of work.

 

“Only thirty-two and already the only thing I’m missing is the gray hair from stress. Oh yes, a vacation would do me wonders right about now...” Lyza cracked her neck as she placed a pink cube within the cup, waiting for it to dissolve before she took a sip.

 

Her face grimaced at the taste. “Chalky...”

 

She held her breath as she drank the whole thing in one go. It hardly burned, and even if she did she’d prefer that over the taste.

 

Lyza had to admit, she was rather envious of Maya’s status as an Alpha. They didn’t have to worry about intakes of the powder or powder-based products. They didn’t have to worry about shrinking if they missed their intake day.

 

No they were more than fine to live without that worry.

 

Unlike Lyza. Whereas some had to worry once a month or week Lyza wasn’t afforded that luxury. Ironic when she could afford so much more.

 

A single day, that was all she had. She needed a daily intake of that damn powder, otherwise she’d be just another useless Beta.

 

She found the prospect humiliating, to be reduced to such a ridiculous range of sizes. Some were lucky, only gaining the characteristics of bleached hair and red or pink eyes, along with the trademark lines that decorate their bodies. Those rare few managed to retain the majority of their original height, only shrinking a few inches down. Other however were not so lucky.

 

Lyza feared that she would fall in the latter group, being reduced to such a pitiable state.

 

The simple though was enough to get her to eat a pink cube by itself, the idea that an extra helping would do anything in preventing such a fate. She knew better though, by the next day she’d have to take another. Then repeat the next day. And then the day after. Again and again if she wanted to remain “normal”.

 

For the most part she’s been successful in preventing her own shrinking, her desire to avoid it all together being her greatest aid. But her efforts had the unfortunate effect of tiring her almost as much as her work.

 

Lyza placed her cup down before making her way back to her desk. As soon as she sat down she wanted nothing more than to fall asleep. She’s had well more than enough for the day. She wanted only for it to end. “I’m so tired.”

 

A ringing from her pants suddenly broke Lyzas sulking, her attention immediately being drawn to her phone. She prayed it wasn’t another business partner of her wishing to know why she and her company have been so quiet in contacting them. Another load of work she was forced to compile beforehand were she to have received such a call.

 

Lyza smiled as soon as she saw the number of the caller, hoping that there’d finally be news she could look forward to.

 

 

Well hel-lo beautiful~. How nice of you to call. I’m hoping it’s for good reason.

 

To even hear Maya’s voice after the day she’s had was enough to lift Lyzas spirits. The idea that the blue haired killer likely had new “toys” for the two of them to use sent said spirit spiraling.

 

Though just as quickly her spirits had been lifted they were immediately brought down by Mayas request.

 

“You want me to what?”

 

Thirty minutes later Maya was standing in front of Lyzas desk as the latter sat and waited as though she were their disgruntled boss.

 

“Just until tomorrow!” Maya pleaded. “That’ll be more than enough time for me to collect enough people.”

 

Lyza thought over Mayas request while also making sure to glance down at the half inch beta sitting cross legged on her desk.

“Mm... just enough time for him to give me another Migraine. And you’re certain you can’t take him?”

 

“Positive.” Maya affirmed. “Think of it like this, I can focus more if Six’s here with you. He won’t get in my way, complain, whine, his usual thing. And after tomorrow we’ll have plenty to play with.”

 

Maya leaned forward, getting as close to Lyzas face as her desk would allow. “And he promised me he’d at least try to get along with you. Isn’t that right Six?”

 

The Beta was cast in Mayas shadow as a result of her position. It was to force a proper answer from him but already he knew it wouldn’t be needed. He already made that promise to himself.

 

“She’s right, I did.” Six answered as he stood up. “Today I’ll do my best not to get on your nerves. Maybe even get on your good side, unlikely as it is.”

 

Lyza wasn’t convinced but shrugged at the request. “Fine. Too much to do anyway to even care about what he does. So long as he doesn’t get in my way he can stay.”

 

“Thank you!” Maya threatened to throw everything off of Lyzas desk as she climbed over it to hug the older woman. “I promise he’ll be on his best behavior. Isn’t that right Six?”

 

A simple thumbs up was his only response.

 

“Sure he will.” Lyza chuckled. “But don’t you have something to do? Something that doesn’t involve distracting me from MY work?”

 

May pulled herself away to better distance herself from Lyza. She was right, they still needed to go about collecting. And the longer Maya stayed here the more likely she’d end up being distracted.

 

“You’re right Lyza. you’re right. And I’ll do that right now, but can you promise me that YOU’LL behave too? If Six is trying then I expect you to as well”

 

Lyza groaned in annoyance. “Fine. I promise I won’t hurt him.”

 

“That’s a very malleable claim.” Six chimed in, only to be tapped on his head by Lyzas index finger.

 

“Good. Good! That’s great!” Maya seemed more excitable than usual. So much so that it was obviously apparent to Lyza. Not until Maya was already making her way for the door, waving Six and Lyza bye before leaving for her own duties.

 

“Does she seem...giddier to you?” Lyza asked the already sulking Six.

 

“She’s probably just glad that we’re gonna try to get along.” Six explained. “It’s nothing you need to concern yourself with. Best not to dwell on it.”

 

Six stayed true to his promise, doing his best not to get in Lyzas way as she resumed her work. But with not much else to both concern and distract her from it she soon found herself annoyed after reviewing even more failures of attempts at design.

 

It grew to the point where she was forced to tear up a photo for fear that she’d lose her mind if she had to look at another.

 

*God, does no body have an eye for detail!? Everyone has to rush the finished product; nobody ever cares to take their damn time in making sure it’s at least presentable!”

 

Her frustration was rather hard to ignore, especially for Six as he had now made it a little game of his to try and piece together the photos she’s torn to shreds.

 

When he finally did however he couldn’t help but whistle at the disaster in front of him. “Well would you look at this train wreck. Someone really doesn’t care about their job if they gave this for you to review.”

 

Lyza swatted away the pieces of the photo, not wanting to look at it longer then she needed to. “Don’t even remind me Six. The color looks like a fucking cone, none of the colors match, and it’s so fucking big that even someone my size would get lost in it.”

 

“Looks like something a struggling celebrity would wear if they were desperate to be noticed again...”

 

Lyza slumped back into her seat wishing that she could just burn all the failed clothing her company has produced. “It does, and unfortunately it’s one of the better things here. I mean just look at these.”

 

Lyza threw three different photos of models wearing clothes made by her employees, each one more horrendous then the last. One seemed akin to a giant ice cream cone; another was so transparent that the model may as well have been naked. The last was just a trash bag with hole for the arms and legs for all Lyza could care.

 

“Terrible. Each and every one is terrible.”

 

Six looked between each of the pictures, jumbling his words as he tried to find a way to voice his own thoughts as kindly as possible. When that wasn’t possible he instead said what they both knew.

 

“Nope. Yeah, they’re disasters.”

 

Lyza held her head in her hands, feeling an urge to cry at the atrocities. “Everyone has that mindset where they think they’ll “revolutionize the industry”. But really they don’t have a clue as to what they’re doing. It’s frustrating.”

 

Six continued looking over the designs before an idea sparked. “Well the cone has a fairly good color combination, blue and white. And I’m certain I can baaarely see the outline of the transparent outfit. You got a pen?”

 

Not even wishing to argue Lyza simply complied, holding a pen far larger than Six can hold and gliding it over the photo and where Six directed. The outfit that was barely visible was given an outline for something that was actually presentable. At least more so than the other failures Lyza was given.

 

“It’s a... suit?”

 

“The fancy kind.” Six explained. “You can swap over the colors from the cone and onto this one. Can keep the materials around the arms faded though. But everything else you can fill in. Maybe go for a more breathable material when making the whole think. The faded area around the arm would help to keep them cool out in the heat or crowded events.”

 

Lyza thought on it for a minute, visualizing what Six had in mind before a smile spread across her lips. She was genuinely impressed. “It’s basic as hell, but it’s still leagues better than the other things idiots around the world have made. Not bad at all bug. Got quite the eye, don’t you?”

 

Six shrugged, unsure of how to take Lyzas compliment. It’s one of the rare few times she’s ever complimented him. “Well...being so small helps one notice the little things I guess.”

 

The amount of times she’s actually heard that from Beta’s who’ve tried to join her company are more then she cares to remember. She’s seen firsthand that such a claim is only a myth. Stupidity and ineptitude come in all shapes and sizes.

 

“I don’t buy it.” Lyza admitted as she raised her legs over her desk, right foot over her left. Whether this was simple relaxation or intimidation didn’t matter to Six. He wouldn’t ask for fear of giving her any ideas. The sight of Lyzas gigantic heels only worked to keep his question to himself.

 

“You ever designed anything Six?” Lyza asked, swaying her right foot back and forth in an almost hypnotizing manner. “You certainly got some potential. Not much, but it’s there.”

 

It was certainly intimidation now. Six was certain of it. A certainty that only grew once Lyza removed her heels, displaying her bare feet in front of the half inch Beta.

 

I fucking swear this lady switches moods like a damn coin!”. Six could only keep to his thoughts as he knew, should he break his promise, Maya would likely hear of it. So instead he kept as calm as one could when faced with feet large enough to cast you in their shadow.

 

“It’s not something I need to hide.” Six clarified. “Don’t gotta threaten me.”

 

Maya rested her soles at the edge of her desk, laying her arms on her knees as she eyed Six. “You know I can’t resist threatening you~. But a promise is a promise. Still, I wanna know, do you actually know anything about design?”

 

“Not design...” Six admitted as he rubbed the back of his head. “I used to take art back in college, and I’ve been thinking a lot about those days recently. Lot of the stuff we used to do back then was analyze dresses, suits, things like that. Personally I never saw the point of it but…”

 

Six shrugged, having always chalked up the knowledge he retained as useless considering his predicament. It was more a miracle that he remembered anything at all.

 

“But nothing Six. I won’t say you have a gift or natural talent for it, but you certainly got some common sense. And really, in this day and age, that’s a helluva lot more valuable that talent.”

 

Six wasn’t certain if Lyza was egging him on but she sounded...genuine. Odd, especially when it was him she was speaking too.

 

“Alright...who are you and what have you done with Lyza?”

 

Lyza chuckled at Six’s joke, not even realizing that he was being entirely serious. “Relax Six. It’s just a little bit of praise. It won’t kill you.”

 

“Coming from you it might.”

 

Lyza drummed her fingers against her chin, wondering how best she could use this revelation of skills to her advantage.

 

Perhaps there would be something to bear fruit from this troublesome day after all.

 

Lyza rested her hand besides Six, requesting the Beta to step upon it. Once he did Maya went about placing more photos on desk, all horrible and all in dire need of revision.

 

“Think you can help me with a few more?”

Chapter End Notes:

As always if you enjoyed then a rating and review are greatly appreciated.