- Text Size +

Kristi strutted into the immaculate office with the utmost confidence. She knew being called in first was a good sign. All she had to do was keep up appearances, and she'd walk out just fine.

The busy walls around her were filled with paintings of various scenic landscapes. Nary an inch was spared from the artwork of fields and flowers. The shelves that occupied the other spaces were carefully arranged with various books on a wide array of subjects. Not a speck of dust could be seen, and not a thing was out of place. Even the desk was a picture perfect scene with the assortment of professional knickknacks dutifully placed. Kristi ignored most of this and was about to greet the principal when she was cut off immediately.

"Hand him over now, Kristi." The principal's glare instantly took all the spunk out of Kristi. She thought she'd have an easy ride with this.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she said crossing her arms in a huff.

"Don't lie to me, young lady," the principal was staring straight through Kristi, watching every little motion, "I'm the last person you want to upset here today."

"When aren't you upset at me, Mom?" The two now stood with the same glare boring into the other's eyes.

"Lately?" The word coolly left her mother's lips as she contemplated the question for just a second. "Rarely. You haven't acted like the girl I raised since your father passed."

"Don't talk to me about that ant like he matters anymore," venom dripped from every word as she hissed them out. "And the only 'passing,'" she threw up the quotations gesture quickly, "he did was out your fat ass since you ate him a week after he shrank!"


Mrs. Wilkins leaned further across her desk, various accoutrements falling in her wake. "Watch your mouth, little girl," any hint of patience now gone from her voice, "you won't talk about either of us in such a manner again. Do I make myself perfectly clear?" She watched her daughter's shoulders sag as she stuck her hand forward again, "Hand the boy over. Now," her voice a low rumble.

Kristi shuffled her feet for a second, "I... I can't," she said, much more meekly than she had talked yet today.

All tolerance gone at this point, Mrs. Wilkins' eyes narrowed to slits, "And. Why. Can't. You?" Each word a harsh staccato between clenched teeth.

"He... He's.." Kristi didn't want to tell her mother the truth, but Mrs. Wilkins was too far gone.

"Stop that stuttering and mumbling this instant!" Her voice rumbled the desk beneath her as she yelled. Now, more than ever, she was thankful for the soundproofing panels she had had installed.

Kristi stomped her foot at her mother's statement, having had enough with her treatment. Her arms flailing wildly upwards, "FINE! HE'S UP MY FUCKING ASS! I shoved him up there about ten minutes ago, and I haven't felt him wiggle in three! Ya happy now??" Mrs. Wilkins recoiled sharply at her daughter's words.

Mrs. Wilkins sat fully back in her seat with a sneer on her face, "That's disgusting. What the hell is wrong with you?" She hid none of her disdain for her daughter's actions, the mere thought bringing the taste of bile to her mouth.

"What's wrong with me!? What the hell is wrong with you?" Kristi's voice reached a crescendo, "Your dumbass plan to bring the ants back here is the cause of all of this! I hope you get fired when they find out how many of the tiny fucks died on day one!" Mrs. Wilkins tried to interject, but Kristi wasn't letting her speak now. "You want this one back though? Give me just a second. You can have the little piece of shit!" Her teeth ground together as she spun around before Mrs. Wilkins could say anything and threw the door open.

Kristi stomped out the door, glaring at the two women standing there before turning sharply left and stomping off. She rounded the corner and slammed through the first restroom door she saw.

Heather exchanged a look of concern with Miss Clements before taking a deep breath to calm down. She was not looking forward to this interaction as she stepped into the principal's office. The woman, having recomposed herself quickly, stared Heather down as she walked in. Heather was looking for the right words to make this all sound better, but she couldn't think of anything before Mrs. Wilkins spoke up.

"Now. Let's talk about you assaulting my daughter." The single statement, said so accusingly, made Heather's eyes snap to Mrs. Wilkins' own as her blood ran cold.